6 days of fasting in Shawwal

amniss

:salam2:

I heard that, if person have 6 days fast in shawwal month after completing Ramdhan fasting, he/she will get Ajr (reward ) of fasting for entire year. Please clarify
Also I have doubt that some people keep 6 days fasting continously after Eid-ul_Fitr, but my question is Can I keep them incontinously in Shawwal month? means some days gab between each fast?

:wasalam:

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Question: Is the fasting of the six days (of Shawwaal) a must after the month of Ramadhaan immediately after the day of 'eed, or is it permissible (to do so) after 'eed by (a number of) days in the month of Shawwaal or not?

Response: It is not a must for him to fast immediately after 'eed al-fitr, rather it is permissible to begin fasting after 'eed by a day or (a number of) days. And (also) to fast them continuously or intermittently in the month of Shawwaal according to that which is easy for him. And the issue is quite open in this matter, and it is not obligatory, rather it is a sunnah.

And with Allaah lies all the success, and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez ibn Abdullaah ibn Baaz;
Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood
Fataawa Ramadhaan - Volume 2, Page 693, Fatwa No.698;
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Fatwa No. 3475

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Question: Is the fasting of the six days (of Shawwaal) a must after the month of Ramadhaan immediately after the day of 'eed, or is it permissible (to do so) after 'eed by (a number of) days in the month of Shawwaal or not?

Response: It is not a must for him to fast immediately after 'eed al-fitr, rather it is permissible to begin fasting after 'eed by a day or (a number of) days. And (also) to fast them continuously or intermittently in the month of Shawwaal according to that which is easy for him. And the issue is quite open in this matter, and it is not obligatory, rather it is a sunnah.

And with Allaah lies all the success, and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez ibn Abdullaah ibn Baaz;
Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood
Fataawa Ramadhaan - Volume 2, Page 693, Fatwa No.698;
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Fatwa No. 3475

:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu....
i was also a lil confused about the first part.jazakallah khairan for the answer

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

The fasts of shawwal were discussed at our masjid's halaqa today by our shaykh.

Ibn Rajab Al Hanbali rahimullah is of the opinion that to avail the reward of the shawwal fasts, one should first makeup the missed days of Ramadan. Then he should fast six days continuously.

The scholars also mentioned that the reward that one gets by fasting Ramadan and six days of Shawwal is as if he was undertaking obligatory fasts for the entire year. This is contrary to what some people think ie it equals reward of voluntary fasts for one year.

Our shaykh also mentioned that he personally feels that the stronger opinion is that one can combine the intention of making up fast of Ramadan and also fast the six days of Shawwal.

However, he reiterated that if one has to avail the reward of fasting one year than he should perform it the way Ibn Rajab rahimullah has suggested, which is to make up the fasts first and then fast six days of shawwal continuously.

And Allah knows best.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

However, he reiterated that if one has to avail the reward of fasting one year than he should perform it the way Ibn Rajab rahimullah has suggested, which is to make up the fasts first and then fast six days of shawwal continuously.

And Allah knows best.

:wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu...

What if one fast shawwal first and makes up the for the missed ramadhan later???

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu...

What if one fast shawwal first and makes up the for the missed ramadhan later???

If you want to avail the reward of fasting one year, then Ibn Rajab Al Hanbali rahimullah states that you have to make up your fasts missed in Ramadan first, followed by six consecutive days of fasting in the month of Shawwal. This is the view that our Shaykh leans towards and told us about in his halaqa.

Making up missed fasts of Ramadan is obligatory. If someone doesn't make them up, he is committing a grave sin. Therefore we should try to fulfill this obligation as soon as possible. It makes sense why the scholars gave it precedence over fasting the six days in the month of shawwal, which is a supererogatory act of worship, its status is Sunnah.

It is permissible to fast non consecutively, though there is a difference of opinion if one would get the same reward or not. (If I remember correctly what the shaykh mentioned).

And Allah knows best.

Edit : Just to emphasize how important it is to make up missed fasts of Ramadan. From IslamQA :-

Based on this, the meaning of the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “Whoever dies owing fasts, his heir should fast on his behalf” is that if a person did not fast for a reason such as menses, travel or sickness from which he hoped to recover, and he was able to make them up but he did not do so, then it is mustahabb for his heirs to observe the fasts on his behalf.

Link http://islamqa.com/en/ref/81030

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

If you want to avail the reward of fasting one year, then Ibn Rajab Al Hanbali rahimullah states that you have to make up your fasts missed in Ramadan first, followed by six consecutive days of fasting in the month of Shawwal. This is the view that our Shaykh leans towards and told us about in his halaqa.

Making up missed fasts of Ramadan is obligatory. If someone doesn't make them up, he is committing a grave sin. Therefore we should try to fulfill this obligation as soon as possible. It makes sense why the scholars gave it precedence over fasting the six days in the month of shawwal, which is a supererogatory act of worship, its status is Sunnah.

It is permissible to fast non consecutively, though there is a difference of opinion if one would get the same reward or not. (If I remember correctly what the shaykh mentioned).

And Allah knows best.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

jazakallah khair for your answer.i'm afraid i'll be missing the shawwal 6 days then.that's why i planned to do it the other way around like every year.

can anyone inform me about the No. of days left in shawwal

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
jazakallah khair for your answer.i'm afraid i'll be missing the shawwal 6 days then.that's why i planned to do it the other way around like every year.

can anyone inform me about the No. of days left in shawwal

Today is the 9th of Shawwal (18th September). There are still 20 more days remaining in the month of Shawwal.