• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

I have recently started a new job - and as we know, a new job means the question being re-asked: "Where do I pray??"

Alhamdulillah, I was able to pray at my previous job, and no one ever found out about it. Now, I'm working in University Administration, and today was my second day. One of my biggest stressors was where and how and when can I pray?

So I want to ask tips from brothers and sisters who face this problem - what do you do? The first day at work, shamefully, I didn't pray Zuhr and made up when I got home. But I felt so bad, I resolved I would pray today. Today, I took my prayer mat with me in a separate bag, and I had kept my eyes open as to possible places to pray, and had also figured out the Qiblah direction. I made tons of dua and during afternoon, when there was a little less buzz of activity, I asked one of my co-workers if it would be okay if I took a few minutes break - I didn't mention any reason, and she said it was fine. So I grabbed my tote bag, and headed out the office door finding myself in a hallway with some classrooms. I felt kind of silly walking around with a big bag - I'd stashed my lunch bag, water bottle, prayer mat and sweater in here, trying to keep the bag's use inconspicuous, guess not. The first room nextdoors had its light off, so I rushed in, turned the light on, and prayed in a corner quickly - making dua that NO ONE come in - lol. Alhamdulillah! It went well. Now I have courage I can easily pray like this. The problem will start when Daylight Savings Time ends and then I'll have to pray both Zuhr and Asr..

Um.. so I had some questions:

1. What is the ruling about wiping over socks for Wudu? If I do wudu in the morning, and put socks on, then can I just wipe?

2. Is there a possibility to wipe over my hijab for wudu? Or not?

3. For people who pray - how do you manage? Do you carry a prayer mat with you? Or not? Where and when and how do you pray at work?

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

When I was working I was able to take a few minutes away from my desk for salaat. It was a big company and we had many Muslims - unfortunately only I and 2 others practiced though. They allowed me a few minutes away from my desk during prayer time, and they even had a private room for me to use.

Now as far as the ruling for wiping over your socks: I can't quote a ton of hadith like many on this site, and you will get many who say you can't unless several requirements are met (leather socks, certain thickness, certain length, etc) but the bottom line is this: Our Prophet, peace be upon him, wiped (masa) over his khuffain, his socks. Every shaykh I've asked said it is permissible to do this as long as, as you said, you make a proper wudu before you put your socks on.

Can't answer the question about the hijab... sorry!

I took a prayer rug with me when I went to work, I kept it folded in my bag. The sister who prayed at my job had one she kept at her desk all the time. My company was large enough to know they had to accommodate the needs of many employees, so they allowed us to use empty meeting rooms, or empty offices, or even the courtyard outside. They let me off from my desk for that reason as long as it was kept to just a few minutes (usually my salaat took less than 10 minutes).

IslamIsTheFuture

알라후 아크바르-Allah Akbar
Salam Alekum

sis Tabassum07 since u work at Uni.. Why dont u ask any Muslim sisters that goes there for a place to pray.. Maybe they have a place for Muslims to pray.. Ask around :)
Alhamdulillah our university have a place for the Muslims to pray and they bulit a wudu area for the brothers and sisters.. Alhamdulillah :)

islam_mydeen

Walaikum Assalam,

2. Is there a possibility to wipe over my hijab for wudu? Or not?

It has been recorded that the Prophet used to wipe his head three different ways:

1. Wiping all of his head.

'Abdullah ibn Zaid reported that the Prophet (SAW) wiped his entire head with his hands. He started with the front of his head, then moved to the back, and then returned his hands to the front.

2. Wiping over the turban only.

Said 'Amru ibn Umayyah, "I saw the Messenger of Allah (SAW) wipe over his turban and shoes." (Related by Ahmad, al-Bukhari and Ibn Majah).

Bilal reported that the Prophet (SAW) said, "Wipe over your shoes and head covering." (Related by Ahmad.)

'Umar once said, "May Allah not purify the one who does not consider wiping over the turban to be purifying." Many hadith have been related on this topic by al-Bukhari, Muslim and others. Most of the scholars agree with them.

3. Wiping over the front portion of the scalp and the turban.

Al-Mughirah ibn Shu'bah said that the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, made ablution and wiped over the front portion of his scalp, his turban and his socks. (Related by Muslim.)

There is, however, no strong hadith that he wiped over part of his head, even though al-Ma'idah: apparently implies it. It is also not sufficient just to wipe over locks of hair that proceed from the head or along the sides of the head.

If you are a female and a non-mahram male (or non-Muslim who you believe may describe you to others) may see you (such as in a public bathroom, etc.), do not remove your hijab or niqab... keep it on and wipe over it.

from this thread

3. For people who pray - how do you manage? Do you carry a prayer mat with you? Or not? Where and when and how do you pray at work?
does school count? we used to pray in the science labs at lunch.. but then they had to get rebuilt so now we pray in a small classroom in the library.. there is a box of Hijabs and stuff for people who don't wear hijab and they wanna pray. so after people have taken, if there is any left we use them as a prayer mat. or we use our jumpers.. so yeahh..

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I really didn't let anyone at work know about this. Do you think I should at least mention this to someone, like the coworker who works beside me? Or should I just keep my little salaat adventures private? I mean, I just took the empty classroom for myself without asking. I don't see anything wrong with it - I have access to the Room Scheduler software system, so I know which rooms will be in use and which not, so I'm careful not to pray in a room which is about to have a class in it within five minutes.

And JazakAllahu Khayr about the hijab wiping daleel - that is *such* a relief - it would be such a hassle to undo hijab and wrap it again when I'm rushing to at least get my prayers done and hurry back to work like a good muslimah, lol.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

I wish you happy and peacefull prayers during your working. I think you could tell your co-workers why you need a little break and that they respect your religious needs too. In my country muslims are real minority (about 1 % of population) but I haven´t heard very often that at any working places would be big problems with praying.

For me praying at work is no problem; as my job in immigration office some my co-workers like translators and also many my customers are muslims. My office has little conference room we can use for praying and office has even bought some praying mats to us.

May Allah make praying at work easy also to you.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

Alhamdulillah, I was able to pray at my previous job, and no one ever found out about it.

:wasalam: sister,

may Allah reward you for the concern of salah. but why do you prefer to keep it secret and hidden? why not let others see you praying? the more you hide, the more u'll become fearful.

when others dont feel shy disobeying Allah by not believing in Him, not praying...why we should feel shy? we are worshiping and obeying our Creator.

just as your hijab could be a dawah tool (eg. the woman in hijab in uni admn. is very polite), your making salah in workplace could be a dawah tool too. suppose you handback $ 50 given to you by mistake to the person who saw you praying. what type of image of Islam and muslims s/he will have? of course positive.

let the daylight time saving come...why worry? there is one bro in usa...he purposely carries prayer mat in hand so that others can see him that he is muslim and going for prayer. people will respect you more inshallah.

make dua too that Allah take out this fear from your heart.

PS: i wont say more as the one who preaches should equally practice too.:)

JenGiove

Sister,

I do not know if you live/work in the United States but IF YOU DO...you will be pleased as punch to know that not only are you allowed to pray when and how you need, but by law, the employer HAS to provide you those accommodations....such as a place to pray.

http://www.adl.org/religious_freedom/resource_kit/religion_workplace.asp
Overview of the Law

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of l964 (“Title VII”) prohibits employers from discriminating against individuals because of their religion in hiring, firing, and other terms and conditions of employment. Title VII also requires employers to reasonably accommodate the religious practices of an employee or prospective employee, unless to do so would create an undue hardship upon the employer. This means that:

* Employers may not treat employees more or less favorably because of their religion.
* Employees cannot be required to participate—or refrain from participating—in a religious activity as a condition of employment.
* Employers must reasonably accommodate employees’ sincerely held religious practices unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the employer.
* Employers must take steps to prevent religious harassment of their employees.
* Employers may not retaliate against employees for asserting rights under Title VII.3

Introduction
Religious employees often confront conflicts between their employment obligations and their religious obligations; federal law (and many state and local laws) require employers to try to accommodate those obligations. Specifically, Title VII provides that an employer must reasonably accommodate an employee's religious beliefs and practices unless doing so would cause “undue hardship on the conduct of the employer's business.”

What is a “reasonable accommodation”?
A reasonable accommodation is one that eliminates the employee’s conflict between his religious practices and work requirements and that does not cause an undue hardship for the employer.

Requested accommodations vary - an employee may need a particular day off each year for a religious holiday; or to refrain from work every week on his or her Sabbath; or to wear religious garb; or to have a place to pray. An employer must try to arrange to allow the employee to meet these religious obligations. Other examples of possible accommodations may include shift swaps between employees, voluntary assignment substitutions, flexible scheduling (allowing an employee to work on Sundays, Christmas or other national holiday in place of the day he or she needs off), lateral transfers to other positions in the company, and use of lunch time in exchange for early departure. An employer could allow an employee who is a Friday-night Sabbath observer to work longer hours on Monday through Thursday to enable the employee to leave early on Friday to be home for the Sabbath. An employer may require an employee to use their paid time off, such as personal or vacation days, to meet an employee’s required accommodation.