LIFE AS A WHITE MUSLIM-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

Saralou, this was not aimed at you. My purpose is a reminder to raise our awareness to others.
You did us a favor. You posted an article. I responded representing a point of view that many do not think about.
What I found horrific is a response included Syrians being white.

My radical and rebellious soul died. Here we are Muslims and we have sisters who are celerbrating their whiteness.

I have been debating with myself...it is time for me to move on. I can not be a part of a forum that is still functioning on how good it is to be white.

Islam is more than that. And another sister comes back with a video of white reverts.

I am taking a break from TTI. May Allah enlighten us.

D.Ahmed

Believer
Asalaam walaikum,

Saralou, this was not aimed at you. My purpose is a reminder to raise our awareness to others.
You did us a favor. You posted an article. I responded representing a point of view that many do not think about.
What I found horrific is a response included Syrians being white.

My radical and rebellious soul died. Here we are Muslims and we have sisters who are celerbrating their whiteness.

I have been debating with myself...it is time for me to move on. I can not be a part of a forum that is still functioning on how good it is to be white.

Islam is more than that. And another sister comes back with a video of white reverts.

I am taking a break from TTI. May Allah enlighten us.

Salaam sister, I don't know where you got all that from perhaps you Do need a break from here because your emotion and passion is running high which maybe causing unnecessary debate.
From what I read from the article and anyone correct me if I am wrong is the what this particular person has maybe experiencing in life after her reversion and has nothing to do with anyone else or comparing herself to anyone else's situation it was just from her point of view and nothing more so there is no reason to bring all of this "whiteness" issue's although perhaps she could have named it better but so what! It was her article. Say no more...

W/salaam

DanyalSAC

Assalaam walaikum,

I know if the word white was not included this conversation would have been over.
I am waiting to see life as a fat Muslim..this is not Dr. Phil.

This forum is about the truth and growth. I was not being hard. In the interest of good reading it is important to give constructive criticism.

Hey I am hecka fat. When should I start?

trying2learn

People will write about how things affect them, and their own situation. We always try to walk a mile in anothers shoes that is how we have sympathy and empathy, but truly the only thing we know 100% is how we are. A "white" person knows how they are treated, they cannot truly know the difficulties that people of other races face, they only know themselves and what situations they go through. Yes I agree things should be fair and balanced, and it helpful to hear/read stories about everyone no matter their race. But we should remember that people only know themselves and how life affects them, and not get mad if they are talking about themselves. A "white" person knows the prejudice that is against them, not the prejudice that is directed at others. It comes down to their should be NO prejudice or discrimiation towards ANYONE, for any reason.
There are muslims of all colors, and reverts that have come from many "religions" or lack of religion, I love to hear revert stories no matter who is speaking, I never notice color, I listen to the story. I grew up in an "integrated" family (i hate that word, my family is just my family to me lol), but anyway I have a cousin who was adopted who is half native american, and I have an adopted aunt and uncle who are african-american, I have a cousin who is married to a puerto-rican man , and I am married to a man who is arab. You know when I was in middle school I had an english teacher call me "Rachel" on the first day of school, I said "No my name is Nicole", to which he responded "OH, well you like a Rachel" I asked him why, and he said I look "jewish" I was like ?????????? Noooooo.....my bone structure came from the Irish part of my family. I was not offended, (I was like 13), but I thought it was ODD that a teacher would say something like that. Let me stop rambling, my point, lets not focus on race, but on the joy that so many are turning to Islam. Beneath the 3 small layers that make our skin up, we are the same, so let's not focus on 3 small layers of skin, but instead on the person who lives within it.

Just to be Fair I found a revert story of some wonderful sisters who reverted to Islam, they are African-American in Philadelphia.:hijabi::hearts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZVt0U9cEI

omahmed

Sister in Islam
I agree fully - this is not a competition to see which hijab-wearing race gets discriminated against more.

Personal articles relate a personal experience, and that's it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Start the fat today.!!!!

As to the brother who thinks I am emotional and passionate. You did not read most of the responses. I am not the one who who brought the sujbect up. However, I did respond to an article written by an American who lives in a bubble.
What amazes me are the number of non-Americans who are defending a position they have no understanding. Does the writer of the article realize what people of color have undergone in this country. Does the writer of the article understand by using the word white she placed a barrier between herself and millions of others. She is the one with the issues.
Last time I looked at this website it was turn to Islam. Not turn to white Islam. Nor was it turn to fat Islam. (sorry, had to get that in).

As long as we place an adjective infront of Muslim we will have a caste system.

Over and out.

DanyalSAC

Assalaam walaikum,

Start the fat today.!!!!

As to the brother who thinks I am emotional and passionate. You did not read most of the responses. I am not the one who who brought the sujbect up. However, I did respond to an article written by an American who lives in a bubble.
What amazes me are the number of non-Americans who are defending a position they have no understanding. Does the writer of the article realize what people of color have undergone in this country. Does the writer of the article understand by using the word white she placed a barrier between herself and millions of others. She is the one with the issues.
Last time I looked at this website it was turn to Islam. Not turn to white Islam. Nor was it turn to fat Islam. (sorry, had to get that in).

As long as we place an adjective infront of Muslim we will have a caste system.

Over and out.

Alhamdulillah, I'm a good cook. What can I say?

Sorry guys, just trying to lighten it up here...ya'll are getting just a little too uptight.

omahmed

Sister in Islam
Salaam

Dear Sister Aaapa,

I've decided I have to post this.

There are no prerequisites for posting on this forum or on any articles posted here based on nationality. The majority are all here as Muslims. As an American, you do not have a monopoly on commenting on articles written by Americans. To comment that non Americans have no idea on what people of colour have gone through, and are going through, in the US, - or on any other US issues, for that matter - is presumptuous of you, and untrue. If you, yourself, have insecurities or a sense of discrimination based on your own colour, that is no excuse to repeatedly allow these to influence discussions on these threads. Nowhere here was anybody "celebrating whiteness"! You repeatedly show an inability to accept other suggestions or comments that differ from your own. To change the context of what I said to "What I found horrific is a response included Syrians being white" is uncalled for, and unacceptable. A caste system is a throwback to an Hindu concept - Muslims do not think in that way. This is not the first time I have noticed you get over-emotional about a topic that really doesn't warrant that type of response at all. In all honesty, I am not comfortable with the way you discuss issues such as these on this forum. You've made me uncomfortable here and on another thread - this is not how Muslims deal with each other, Aapa. In the future, I will take great care not to participate in any threads with you - I come here to relax and to learn, not to get aggravated again and again. This is not debate - this is combativeness.

Salaam.

JenGiove

Race, Religion and America

Salaam,

First off, I would like to remind everyone that the media of the internet disallows for true communication of our feelings and I think feelings are getting hurt unnecessarily. Please, let us all breath for a moment. I'm going to address a few people here because I feel it needs to be said. Please know that I hold no anger in my heart but I do have a large portion of disappointment.

D.Ahmed,
Please be cautious of your words and with whom you address them to. What you may not know is that Aapa is the Eldest person on these boards and as such, deserves the respect of an Elder. She also has over five THOUSAND posts. I do not think that she would have lasted here that long without having wisdom or an inkling as to the true temperature of the boards and the people here. I noticed that you're participation is minimal. I am not saying that you a stranger here, but I personally found your remarks to her to be snobbish and rude. But that's just my opinion...

Omahmed,
While I can understand your views about excessive passion, I HAVE been on the receiving end of excessive passion from nearly everyone here on the boards. Here in the states, there is a racial problem. Slavery may have ended years ago but the view that someone who is of one of the minority races is inferior to others is still alive. You know what? Muslims are the same way. I'm sorry but my treatment here by some, not all but some, has been less than admirable. The disgust at my mere presence is not hidden well and whenever *I* try to clarify information on an issue relating to America to people who do NOT or have never BEEN to America, I get told I'm blind to the truth and if there was a door, I'd have been shown the door...with a foot. A person CAN NOT understand the plight of a person unless they themselves have experienced it. Isn't that in part what Ramadan teaches us? You can not understand hunger unless you have been.....well, you can not understand the life of a black Muslim woman in a, as it's been so rudely pointed out to me nearly every day, "kafir" country unless you have been there.

Aapa,
I do not know how much longer I will be around as well. The hate towards me and my country, even though I have done nothing to deserve it, is no longer something I can accept as religious difference. Also, the friends I HAVE made....I do not want them to feel as if they are going to suffer the wrath of Creator by associating with me. One sister in particular is going to be painful to leave, but I love her too much to see her face a choice she should not have to make. While I am white, I am also a native so I understand the fear and ridicule. I would stand should to shoulder with you.

DanyalSAC,
I've not forgotten that ginger recipe. I have to tweek it because I'm not sure I did it correctly. :) The smell in my house thought was PHENOMENAL!

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmtullah wa barakatuhu

Wa la hawle wa la quwete illabillahi

May Allah guide us all. Ameen summa aameen

Wa allaicumu Sallam wa rahamtullah wa barakatuhu

D.Ahmed

Believer
Salaam,

First off, I would like to remind everyone that the media of the internet disallows for true communication of our feelings and I think feelings are getting hurt unnecessarily. Please, let us all breath for a moment. I'm going to address a few people here because I feel it needs to be said. Please know that I hold no anger in my heart but I do have a large portion of disappointment.

D.Ahmed,
Please be cautious of your words and with whom you address them to. What you may not know is that Aapa is the Eldest person on these boards and as such, deserves the respect of an Elder. She also has over five THOUSAND posts. I do not think that she would have lasted here that long without having wisdom or an inkling as to the true temperature of the boards and the people here. I noticed that you're participation is minimal. I am not saying that you a stranger here, but I personally found your remarks to her to be snobbish and rude. But that's just my opinion...

Omahmed,
While I can understand your views about excessive passion, I HAVE been on the receiving end of excessive passion from nearly everyone here on the boards. Here in the states, there is a racial problem. Slavery may have ended years ago but the view that someone who is of one of the minority races is inferior to others is still alive. You know what? Muslims are the same way. I'm sorry but my treatment here by some, not all but some, has been less than admirable. The disgust at my mere presence is not hidden well and whenever *I* try to clarify information on an issue relating to America to people who do NOT or have never BEEN to America, I get told I'm blind to the truth and if there was a door, I'd have been shown the door...with a foot. A person CAN NOT understand the plight of a person unless they themselves have experienced it. Isn't that in part what Ramadan teaches us? You can not understand hunger unless you have been.....well, you can not understand the life of a black Muslim woman in a, as it's been so rudely pointed out to me nearly every day, "kafir" country unless you have been there.

Aapa,
I do not know how much longer I will be around as well. The hate towards me and my country, even though I have done nothing to deserve it, is no longer something I can accept as religious difference. Also, the friends I HAVE made....I do not want them to feel as if they are going to suffer the wrath of Creator by associating with me. One sister in particular is going to be painful to leave, but I love her too much to see her face a choice she should not have to make. While I am white, I am also a native so I understand the fear and ridicule. I would stand should to shoulder with you.

DanyalSAC,
I've not forgotten that ginger recipe. I have to tweek it because I'm not sure I did it correctly. :) The smell in my house thought was PHENOMENAL!

JenGiove.
I noticed that you're participation is minimal

Just because I don't post much that does not mean that I do not learn from here that was essentially why I joined here, I do not really get the time to participate much due to my busy life but If I have something to say I will say it.

I am not saying that you a stranger here

That is right I've been a member since Aug 2006 before most people so I've seen people come and go and seen gradual changes here on TTI.

I personally found your remarks to her to be snobbish and rude

Lol. I found that funny that made me smile because that is far from the truth maybe because I'm from England and my style of writing is different. :SMILY231:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Here we go again.
Brother, you have no rights over me. So keeping on writing whatever you wish. I pray you feel better. No man tells me what to do or say. I am a Muslim woman. I never asked you for your opinion.

Sister, Honey you don't need to write anything to what I say. You stay right where you are and read whatever you want.

I will stop posting. I kinda, sorta, needto be around real folk for a while. People: black, white, red, yellow, brown, gay, short, tall, fat, thin. Human beings who are simple and faithful.

Be careful people..you are so judgemental and yet you know so little.

kayleigh

Slavery may have ended years ago but the view that someone who is of one of the minority races is inferior to others is still alive. You know what? Muslims are the same way.

You're 100% right. There's a lot of racial issues among Muslims, and the US most definitely is still a very racist country. If an american thinks differently then they've been living under a rock.

aapa has a completely valid point, whether you agree with it or not, and that's all I'll say. Honestly, I don't even get why half of you are offended or throwing a fit by what's been said, though I can understand why aapa is upset.

and Jen, if anyone thinks they're going to hell or something for being kind to you then they've lost their minds.

sarahlou

Honestly reading this is making me sick! I wish I never posted this article! Walahi if I only knew. I honestly don't think about race. I was raised in the most liberal part of the US and was never raised to be prejudice against any race. My own immediate family is multi racial.So when I read things I do not see race at all. I just noticed some similarities with this sister and I. I don't agree in everything that she wrote. I do agree that this country has a deep seeded issue with race, but I guess I was to naive in thinking that Muslims were excluded in this situation. I hope I have not hurt anyone's feelings by posting this. Please forgive

Mod please delete this thread!!!

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

I have been following this thread after a couple of replies when it was created, I read the article and I was going to reply yesterday (and close the thread).

I refrained because I felt I was maybe rushing into it. I saved my reply from yesterday. Therefore I will close this thread now and will post that reply when I am able to sit down and contemplate it calmly.

I hope you understand because I don't think this thread serves much purpose anymore (I know there has been some valid points raised and Insha'Allaah I will mention this in my reply).

Walaykum Salaam.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

Okay, I read the article (before the sister edited her first post) and I have read most of the replies in this thread.

First, I will mention that I do not have the experience of growing up in America as a Muslim, regardless of skin colour.

I think there will be an agreement that no matter where you are in the world, unless it is predominantly Muslim (in population), we will have our own personal trials/experiences due to our beliefs. It doesn't matter about your skin colour, it is simply the 'way it is' currently that there is a lot of ignorance about Islam. (I have read some experiences about racism among Muslims in Muslim countries but I think that is a separate issue). I know there is this set notion that if you are of a one skin colour/ethnicity you will likely be more discriminated against than someone else of another skin colour/ethnicity. I could say that my experiences shows that this is not the case while someone else's experience could point to the former.

Or, experiences at the Masjid with other Muslims, them being suspicious or staying within their groups (in terms of who they can communicate with). This is not restricted to a person's skin colour, I feel my personal experience shows this.

Therefore we need to demonstrate as Muslims the characteristics as Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) has told us in the Qur'aan and the Prophet :saw: in his Sunnah.

Therefore we should 'stick together' and support each other. (I have seen a couple of thread's, Muslims narrating their difficulties and Alhamdu'lillaah there are other Muslims helping).

It is important to remember what the Prophet Muhammad :saw: said in his last sermon:

'All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor does a non-Arab have any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor does black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action.'

I would say, the article was merely anecdotal, an experience. If there was a certain theme from the article - (that certain Muslims of a particular skin colour have it more difficult than others or it was championing XYZ skin colour) then that is an interpretation, because there could be another article of a Muslim (different skin colour) experiencing more difficulties. I find it pointless to be creating differences because of this.

Importantly, we should all remember that we are Muslims first.

I find that it lacks common sense to take comment's and create arguments (or stating that one will leave because of that).

I completely understand though that often a short-term break is needed to re-evaluate oneself (and ask pertinent question's about one's faith, what you are seeking to gain from engaging in the forum). Subhaan'Allaah we should do this every time we reply to a post, will it be beneficial or a waste?

For all of us this will be to learn about Islam from the Qur'aan and Sunnah and help others (through whatever way).

I remind myself and others that we should be careful of what we say and how because it can bring consequences we may not expect.

I hope you understand and if you feel my post contains a lack of understanding as to the subject matter, then I ask you to pardon me for my lack of comprehension. What is important is that we are Muslims first and other factors (race, nationality, etc.) are secondary.

I am sure we all agree on one point though, that this thread doesn't really serve much purpose now and will remain closed.

Walaykum-Salaam.

Status
Not open for further replies.