What does islam say about fur from animals?

Muslim-life

Always Alhamdulilah
:salam2: Assalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu

Hope your all in the best health and imaan :)

I just got a question about fur in islam. Is it allright to wear for example fur coats ? I mean genuine fur from animals..
Hope some of you can give me an answer. :hijabi:

My Allah protect you all

wassalamu alaikum warahmatullah :wasalam:

JenGiove

Salaam Sister,

I do not know if this helps you but I thought I'd post it for you. You can decide from there since you would know better than I.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/105419/fur

Fox fur is not made pure by tanning​
Does a fox’s skin become pure after tanning it? Is it permissible to use it as cloth or anything else? Is it permissible to buy, sell, and trade in it?.

Praise be to Allaah. The skin of the fox, like its flesh, is najis, because it is a wild animal and is included in the general prohibition because of the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to which the Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said: “It is haraam to eat any wild animal that has fangs.” Narrated by Imam Muslim (may Allaah have mercy on him). And there is the hadeeth of Abu’l-Maleeh ibn Usaamah from his father (may Allaah be pleased with them both) which says that the Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) forbade the skins of wild animals. Narrated by Imam Ahmad, Abu Dawood, al-Nasaa’i and al-Tirmidhi, who added: to be used for furnishing. Mu’aawiyah ibn Abi Sufyaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that he said to a group of the companions of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him): Do you know that the Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) forbade riding on the skins of tigers? They said: Yes, by Allaah. Narrated by Imam Ahmad and Abu Dawood. And it was narrated from al-Miqdaad ibn Ma’di Yakrib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said to Mu’aawiyah: I adjure you by Allaah, do you know that the Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) forbade wearing the skins of wild animals or riding upon them? He said: Yes. Narrated by Abu Dawood and al-Nasaa’i. And it was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not accompany any group with whom there is a tiger skin.” Narrated by Abu Dawood. These texts forbid the use of skins from any animals whose meat cannot be eaten, because they are only used for adornment and showing off .
And Allaah is the source of strength. They Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta’ (24/29)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

Insha'Allaah the ruling below will help clarify further unless it has not already done so,

Question

Recently some brothers have argued about coats made from animal skin. Some brothers point out that coats are normally made from pigskin. Supposing this to be correct, can we wear such coats. Some books deal with this issue, but in a way that is not clear and that leads to no definite conclusion.

Answer

It is confirmed that the Prophet :saw: said:

"When the hide is tanned it has been purified."

(Muslim no. 366)

He :saw: also said:

"Tanning the dead animal's skin purifies it."

(Ibn Hibban no. 123 and an-Nasa'i no. 7/174 no. 4249)

The scholars have differed in this matter. Does this apply to the skin of all animals or is it specific to the skins of the dead animals that are lawful to slaughter? There is no doubt that the skin of dead animals which are lawful to slaughter are purified by tanning. This applies to camels, cattle, goats, etc. So it is allowed to use them for any means according to the most correct saying of the people of knowledge.

As for the skin of a pig, a dog or anything else that is not lawful to slaughter, then there is a disagreement among the scholars on whether it becomes pure due to tanning. The most careful approach is to avoid wearing their skins, in application of the Prophet's :saw: saying:

"Whoever avoids the doubtful matters, he has absolved himself (from wrongdoing) in his religion and in his honour."

(Muslim no. 1599)

And because of his :saw: saying:

"Leave what makes you doubt to what doesn't make you doubt."

(At-Tirmidhi no. 2518 and an-Nasa'i no. 5114)

Ibn Baz (rahimahullaah)

Source: Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 7

Wa-alaykum-us-Salaam.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

There are a few narrations regarding this topic and some of them are:

1) Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas radiAllaahu `anhu: Allaah’s Messenger :saw2: said, “When the skin is tanned it becomes purified.” [Reported by Muslim].

2) Narrated Salama bin Al-Muhabbiq radiAllaahu `anhu: Allaah’s Messenger :saw2: said, “The tanning of a dead animal’s skin purifies it”. [Ibn Hibban graded it Sahih (sound)].

3) Narrated Maimuma radiAllaahu `anhaa: Some people dragging a (dead) goat passed by the Prophet :saw2:. He told them, “If you had taken its hide (it would be better)”. They said, “It is dead”. He said, “Water and the leaves of the Acacia tree will purify it”. [Reported by Abu Dawood and An Nasaa’ee].

Based on this, scholars have had differed about the ruling of the animal skin. The Dhaahiriyyah were of the view that any animal's skin that is tanned is pure, while the Hanafiyyah (hanafi madhhab) said that every animal's skin that is tanned is pure, except the pig, whereas the Shafi`iyyah (shafi`ee madhhab) said that every animal's skin that is tanned is pure, with the exception of the dog and pig.

On the other hand the Hanaabilah (hanbali madhhab) said that the animal skin that is tanned is NOT pure.

The correct view is that of Shaykh ul islaam Ibn Taymiyyaah, `Abdullaah ibn al Mubaarak, al Awzaa`ee and one of the views narrated from Imaam Ahmed, and that is:

It is permissible to tan the skin of any animal that has been made permissible to eat (even if the animal is not slaughtered in shari`ah terms) and Shaykh ibn al `uthaymeen explains this: " And it was said that the skin of an animal that died without being slaughtered correctly may be purified by means of tanning so long as it comes from an animal that may be made permissible by means of proper slaughter. But if it cannot be made permissible by means of proper slaughter, then it cannot be purified. This view is most likely to be correct. Based on that, the skin of a cat and any smaller animal cannot be purified by means of tanning.

The ruling is connected to whether the animal is regarded as taahir (pure) when it is alive. If it is taahir (pure), then it is permissible to use the skin of that animal if it died without being slaughtered properly, after tanning it once it has dried. But according to the madhhab it cannot be purified. According to the second opinion, it can be purified, and according to the third opinion, it becomes pure through tanning if it is from a dead animal that would be permissible (to eat) if slaughtered properly.

The most correct view is the third one, based on the fact that in some versions of the hadeeth it says: “Its tanning is its purification” (narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 4243; classed as saheeh by al-Haafiz ibn Hajar in al-Talkhees al-Habeer, 1/49). So the word purification was used, and it is well known that slaughter does not purify anything except that which it is permissible to eat. If you slaughtered a donkey and mentioned the name of Allah over it and shed its blood, it still could not be called halaal slaughter.

Based on this we say: the skin of an animal that it is haraam to eat, even if it is regarded as taahir when alive, cannot be purified by tanning.

The reason for that is that the animal that is taahir when it is alive was regarded as taahir because it is too difficult to avoid them completely, because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “They are among those who go around among you” -- referring to cats. This hadeeth was narrated by al-Tirmidhi (92), Abu Dawood (75), al-Nasaa’i (68) and Ibn Maajah (368), and was classed as saheeh by al-Bukhaari, al-Tirmidhi, al-Daaraqutni and al-‘Aqeeli, as stated by Ibn Hajar in al-Talkhees al-Habeer (1/41). This reason ceases to apply when the animal dies, whereupon it goes back to its original state, which is najaasah (impurity), and it cannot be purified by means of tanning.

So the correct view is that any animal that dies and may be eaten, its skin is purified by tanning. This is one of the two opinions of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him); he has another opinion which is in accordance with the view of those who say that whatever was taahir when it was alive, its skin may be purified by tanning."

And not only that, but there is another narration where the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: forbade us from wearing clothes made from animal skins (apart from the animals permissible to eat). It was narrated that al-Miqdaam ibn Ma’diyakrib (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbidding the wearing of animal skins or riding on saddles made from them.

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4131; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 3479.

And Allaah knows best

Wassalaamu `alaykkum

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

this is a very interesting and informative topic. it also goes to show how the Prophet ( saaws ) truly is the messenger of ALLAH SWT, because there hardly are any subjects in life that the Prophet ( saaws ) didn't touch on, sharing his wisdom with the believers.
:wasalam:

Men of Allah

Ya Allah,Ya Rahim.
:salam2: Assalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu

Hope your all in the best health and imaan :)

I just got a question about fur in islam. Is it allright to wear for example fur coats ? I mean genuine fur from animals..
Hope some of you can give me an answer. :hijabi:

My Allah protect you all

wassalamu alaikum warahmatullah :wasalam:

There is a difference in scholarly opinion regarding this matter( I posted a fatwa for your information by the will of Allah).

I am curious as to why you asked this question
smile.gif

Wearing fur coats ..
What is the ruling on coats made from pigskin?

Praise be to Allaah.

It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When (animal) skin is tanned, it becomes pure.” And he said, “Tanning the skin of a dead animal [i.e., one which has died of natural causes as opposed to being slaughtered] purifies it.” The scholars differed concerning this – does this hadeeth apply to all kinds of animal skins, or only the skins of animals which become halaal when slaughtered according to sharee’ah?

Undoubtedly it is permissible to use in any way the tanned skins of dead animals which become halaal when slaughtered according to sharee’ah, such as camels and cows, according to the most correct scholarly opinion. With regard to the skins of pigs, dogs and the like, which cannot be made halaal by slaughtering them in the manner prescribed in sharee’ah, there is a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether they can be made pure by tanning. In order to be on the safe side, it is better not to use them, heeding the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Whoever avoids doubtful matters, that will be better for his religious commitment and his honour.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said, “Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you doubt.”

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu. . .

jazakallah khair asking the Question sister,and for your contribution everyone.

i want to know.just like we need to purify ourselves after contact with dogs,pigs etc.does it apply for all sort of wild carnivores??eg.tigers,lions,cheetas(biologically they come from cats family).or bears,monkey(omnivores)etc.

i understand it's a strange to ask as we may never come across such events in our life but just curious to know.

Barakallah fik.

Muslim-life

Always Alhamdulilah
wa'alaikum al salam everyone..

Thank you alle very much. I ask because a newly convert sister asked me if it was ok to wear some gloves made og seal skin :)
I personally don't wear fur actually, but I thougt it was a very interesting question, and as one of You said there's not a single thing that the prophet Saw haven't talked about.. :)

Alhamdulilah, and another time thank you :)
The last question is also very interesting..

wassalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh