About my English quiz...:(

Zamma

Salaamun Alaykum to everyone...

I have had a quiz today,and I have mistakes.But I couldn't understand why aren't my answers true...Here are my mistakes:

-I ........a sister.(I have filled the blank with "have" but the teacher hasn't accepted my answer.)

-She.......a very good camera.(I have filled the blank with "has",but my teacher hasn't accepted...)

lastly

Where is....telephone in....living room?(the title says:"complete the sentences with a/an/the or don't write anything.")What's the answer?

thanks in advance...

kayleigh

I think you should talk to the teacher directly because your answers are correct. Maybe he/she made a mistake.

JenGiove

-I ........a sister.(I have filled the blank with "have" but the teacher hasn't accepted my answer.)
Leave blank
-She.......a very good camera.(I have filled the blank with "has",but my teacher hasn't accepted...)
Leave blank

Where is....telephone in....living room?
The and The

The directions were clear...."Complete the sentences with a/an/the or don't write anything."

They were trick questions....your answers were correct, but that wasn't what the directions asked you to do...they wanted ONLY sentences filled in using a/an/the....in this case, only one sentence could be completed.

trying2learn

Salaamun Alaykum to everyone...

I have had a quiz today,and I have mistakes.But I couldn't understand why aren't my answers true...Here are my mistakes:

lastly

Where is....telephone in....living room?(the title says:"complete the sentences with a/an/the or don't write anything.")What's the answer?

thanks in advance...

Okay here goes:
The first one "I...a sister." CANNOT work with a/an/the, if you tried to use these words to fill in the blank the sentence would make no sense.
Here are some good ways to fill in the blank:
"I am a sister."
"I have a sister."
The second sentence:
"She.....a very good camera." Your answer is fine, again you cannot use a/an/the in this sentence either.
Here are good ways to fill in the blank:
"She has a very good camera."
"She purchased a very good camera."
The last sentence:
"Where is....telephone in...living room?" Okay, you said the directions were to use a/an/the to fill in the blank or to no write anything. Okay here are some ways to fill the blanks:
"Where is a telephone in the livingroom?" If you wrote the sentence this way you have to put a comma after telephone, to indicate a pause in the sentence. "Where is a telephone, in the livingroom?" You only use "an" if it is before a word that begins with a vowel. Example: "Do you have AN onion I can have?"
I hope this helps, English is my first language and I always recieved A's in english, and now that I am in college I have taken tow English classes and passed with A's. If you have anymore questions I would be more than happy to help you.

kayleigh

Oh I thought a/an/the directions were only on the last thing about the telephone. I hate teachers that ask trick questions. That won't help you learn English :/

Zamma

Oh I thought a/an/the directions were only on the last thing about the telephone. :/

I'm sorry there is a misunderstanding...Kayleigh is right. a/an/the directions were only on the last thing about the telephone.

Now,have I mistakes in the questions?

Zamma

First two sentences are about possesion.The last one is about a/an/the.I hope ,I corrected the misunderstanding.

fada_all

Okay here goes:
The first one "I...a sister." CANNOT work with a/an/the, if you tried to use these words to fill in the blank the sentence would make no sense.
Here are some good ways to fill in the blank:
"I am a sister."
"I have a sister."
The second sentence:
"She.....a very good camera." Your answer is fine, again you cannot use a/an/the in this sentence either.
Here are good ways to fill in the blank:
"She has a very good camera."
"She purchased a very good camera."
The last sentence:
"Where is....telephone in...living room?" Okay, you said the directions were to use a/an/the to fill in the blank or to no write anything. Okay here are some ways to fill the blanks:
"Where is a telephone in the livingroom?" If you wrote the sentence this way you have to put a comma after telephone, to indicate a pause in the sentence. "Where is a telephone, in the livingroom?" You only use "an" if it is before a word that begins with a vowel. Example: "Do you have AN onion I can have?"
I hope this helps, English is my first language and I always recieved A's in english, and now that I am in college I have taken tow English classes and passed with A's. If you have anymore questions I would be more than happy to help you.

i totally aree with sister...this is an excilent answer that has an intellectuall explanation...masha allah taala:ma: ..English is your first lg .yet it is the third one in my country .but i used to have good marks in English.during my University studies years ago..... alhamduliallah...

kayleigh

Yeah, "I am a sister" isn't something you would typically say, so "I have a sister" would be correct.

But I don't think "Where is a telephone in the livingroom?" would be correct. It should be "the" for both blanks.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

A/An/The.

You can not use an. An is an indefinite article. One uses an before a noun that starts with a vowel and sometimes a very soft h sound. You can write an apple, an elephant, an orange.

A is an indefinite article. You can look for a telephone. This could be any telephone.

The is the definite article. It is very specific. The telephone in the living room.
We are limiting the telephone to one phone in one room.

Strunk and White is a good reference.

For the sister question if the quiz was on articles the only answer is: I have a sister. simple present.
I had a sister. simple past.

She has a good camera.
She had a good camera.
She will have a good camera.

You can not use the because it is a non-specific camera.

Articles modify becasue they help us to gain understanding of any object or one specific object.

Hope this makes sense.

I has a good camera
I is a sister
are technically correct but not accepted in grammar.

JenGiove

AH! the teacher speaks! Should I tell her how I have a learning disability and had to drop out of High School?....naaaaaaah!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Rather, I would advise that you talk to your teacher and go over the test with him/her, because they have marked your answers (which were correct) wrong.. Maybe it was a mistake, but whatever the reason, the truth is this is something the teacher needs to see. So go, sister, go! :)

kayleigh

I have a sister who makes a lot of money. Enough to buy my teacher a new Porche

She has a good camera, and she plans to present it to her teacher as a gift.

Where is my telephone? You know, the brand new 4g Iphone that I'm planning to give to my teacher at the end of the semester when I receive that A in English.

worth a try

This would most definitely get you an A.