Al Maghrib or Anatomy?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2: , I hope you're all in the best state of health and iman.

I haven't posted on the forum for awhile because of...um...the extremely negative behavior (to put it mildly) on this board lately. But that's another matter.

I'm struggling with something and need some advice. For those of you that are familiar with Al-Maghrib Institute, I'm a frequent Al-Maghriber. There's an AWESOME upcoming seminar called "Divine Link" and focuses on salah and how to perfect it. If that isn't enough motivation, it's taught by Yasir Birjas AND is in my neck of the woods. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about taking the class and would automatically register.

However, this semester, I'm taking Saturday classes at college. These classes are EXTREMELY intensive and are prerequisites for my graduate program. Each class is 6 hours long (since it's a lab and a lecture combined) and missing even one practically sets me back by a few weeks. There's so much information in each class and getting notes from others hasn't worked out for me too well, primarily since you can't always understand the different terminologies the exact same way someone else can. The class is difficult enough and of course, I need to come out on top if I'm going to get into the colleges I'm applying to.

So I really don't think I can afford to miss two of these either, let alone one. However......it's AL MAGHRIB!! :girl3: Color me extremely frustrated. It's not like it's even just any class, it's going to focus on perfecting SALAH! Our Divine Link to Allah SWT. Missing it would be extremely disappointing for me, but I have to think about my education too. Now I know some of you may go down the "It's all in Allah's hands" route but Allah's given us practical sense as well and since I've already been absent from class once AND seen how difficult it was for me to catch up, it would be extremely practical to consider that.

I thought about going to both of them but since I'd be missing the Saturdays because of my 6 hour class, I'd be missing 2 out of the 5 Al Maghrib classes :(. Also it's a Fiqh course and those can't be done half-way. You either put everything into it in order to understand it or you end up getting lost if you miss even a little bit.

I also thought about getting notes from someone from the seminar, but the same issue applies there: It's not the same as actually BEING there and understanding things for yourself.

*Sigh* what's a girl to do?

JazakAllah khair for your advice!

JenGiove

Sister,

I know the Anatomy class you speak about. While others may say "Allah comes first", I say that he has placed inside you a little post-it like note....a desire to learn more about the perfect Salah. Anatomy however, you need to be present to learn. Islam has been around for 1400+years. You can learn about Salah on your own till your life is in such a place where you can place your full attention to it. For now, you at least have a goal....a goal to learn it. Focus on your education and keep the goal in mind....Allah will help you learn both...in due course.

Be well and have a wonderful Jumma!

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
answer is simple my sister perform istikarah inshallah then you will never forget your descion *!*!*!

JazakAllah khair ukhti. I did that actually and then came and posted on this forum lol. Khair inshAllah, make dua for me.

Sister,

I know the Anatomy class you speak about. While others may say "Allah comes first", I say that he has placed inside you a little post-it like note....a desire to learn more about the perfect Salah. Anatomy however, you need to be present to learn. Islam has been around for 1400+years. You can learn about Salah on your own till your life is in such a place where you can place your full attention to it. For now, you at least have a goal....a goal to learn it. Focus on your education and keep the goal in mind....Allah will help you learn both...in due course.

Be well and have a wonderful Jumma!

The only issue is that we don't even know if we'll be blessed with tomorrow and that's why it's good to get as much as we can get done today. But I understand what you're saying and I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

I would say Ishtikhara is the solution to this problem. The best way of perfecting salah is to learn arabic and indulge yourself into the depths of the meaning of the verses of the quran. Be attentive as it is Allah, The Creator, who is watching you. I said this as a reminder for myself first and everyone. InshAllah, we will develop kushoo in salah and pray with perfection.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
JazakAllah khair akhi. But I've already learned Arabic and there's alot more to learn about Salah than just knowing Arabic, to the point where there are entire seminars dedicated to perfecting it, with this being just the shortest of those seminars (two weeks!).

JenGiove

The only issue is that we don't even know if we'll be blessed with tomorrow and that's why it's good to get as much as we can get done today. But I understand what you're saying and I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

This is my own personal thinking and I only share it with you as such and not for any other reason. It is my belief that if I were to walk around fearing that I will die tomorrow, then I would live in too much fear and not enough joyous faith that Creator wants me to receive the information, such as "perfect Salah" and would see to it that I would be placed in a situation where I would get that information with ease.

Follow your heart sister....everything is easier that way...:)

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
JazakAllah khair akhi. But I've already learned Arabic and there's alot more to learn about Salah than just knowing Arabic, to the point where there are entire seminars dedicated to perfecting it, with this being just the shortest of those seminars (two weeks!).

SubhanAllah, pray for me, I am learning Quranic Arabic . I am very jealous, hehe. Alhamdulillah, you are so lucky to get a chance to go into such seminar. The following is just my opinion: Go for the seminar. Don't let this chance slip away. Who knows when the next seminar comes up.

I so have to catch up with the rest of the brothers and sisters like you. I am really lagging behind in knowledge, eeman, etc. InshAllah, I will catch up soon.

kayleigh

I'd go to your anatomy class. If it were a one or two hour lecture then I'd say skip it, but if it's 6 hours you might not even be able to fully catch up.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

SubhanAllah, pray for me, I am learning Quranic Arabic . I am very jealous, hehe. Alhamdulillah, you are so lucky to get a chance to go into such seminar. The following is just my opinion: Go for the seminar. Don't let this chance slip away. Who knows when the next seminar comes up.

I so have to catch up with the rest of the brothers and sisters like you. I am really lagging behind in knowledge, eeman, etc. InshAllah, I will catch up soon.

Lol akhi if I was ahead of you in terms of knowledge and iman, I wouldn't be having this dilemma. MashAllah that you're learning fussHa. It's beautiful, but I won't lie, I'm forgetting some of it already :(. With work, school, and volunteering, I barely have time to revive some of it. Alhamdulillah, I haven't let it slip in terms of understanding what I'm saying in salah and various soowar from the Quran. But still, I envy the fact that because you're learning it, it's fresh in your mind and you're current focus is on it.

Best of luck and jazakAllah khair again for your advice.

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
As salam alaikum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Qabeelah Tayybah, we're just 2 positions below you; but we're No. 1 in Canada.

Anyways, as everybody suggested, make Istikharah. But I personally would always go for Almaghrib seminar.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Two things:

1. To counteract negativity stay positive. Staying away is yeilding into the negativity. And sometimes what seems to be negative is really positive.

2. Grades are not the most important thing in the world. I missed three weeks of six week graduate class and still made an A. What I had to do at the time required my attention.

Do what your heart tells you to do. If you do not you are wasting time. You will be in a place you do not want to be. You mind and heart will not be there.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
BarakAllahu feeki for the advice, Aapa.

Brother hussain.mahammed, that would make you Qabeelah....? Congrats on being No.1 in Canada. For me there's no other Qabeelah, then my beloved Tayybah :). And yes, the seminars are extremely addictive and missing one would absolutely break my heart.

I remain as confused as ever but will make istikhara again.

JazakAllah khair to everyone for their advice.

abdul-aziz

pray salatul istikhara.

just a reminder, you made a contract with the school, that you would attend x amount of classes and pay x amount of dollars. try not to break your contract.

as for the classes of maghrib institute, they are very good and informative. I would attend the ones I can. perhaps you can have someone record the missed seminar for you ( ask for permission, because I don't think they allow that).

in any event, Allah is the Giver, ask him for knowledge.

the forum has not been negative, it is just a perception you feel. These things always take place, but when we want to focus on them they show up more and more. ignore the bad and take the good and seek guidance from Allah.

wa Allah ya'lam

:wasalam:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
You can find links to a series of DVDs on anatomy called "Acland's anatomy" on youtube, or download them from rapidshare.

If you really want to go to the Islamic lecture, try miss one an anatomy class and see if you can cover it in your own time. Anatomy involves memorising a lot, but there is not much more to it than that. If you have a good textbook (or textbooks), and a video (the DVD mentioned), you should be able to cover it quite well, even without going to a lecture.

Assalam alaikum.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
the forum has not been negative, it is just a perception you feel. These things always take place, but when we want to focus on them they show up more and more. ignore the bad and take the good and seek guidance from Allah.

Perhaps. There are many that would disagree with you. I've been on this forum for the last three years now, and I can tell when the tides are turning. You're right in some of what you say but there is no doubt that passions are being fueled on this board and some do end up getting hurt.

Irrespective, this isn't a thread on negativity anywhere. I appreciate your advice regarding my dilemma.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
If you really want to go to the Islamic lecture, try miss one an anatomy class and see if you can cover it in your own time. Anatomy involves memorising a lot, but there is not much more to it than that. If you have a good textbook (or textbooks), and a video (the DVD mentioned), you should be able to cover it quite well, even without going to a lecture.

JazakAllah khair for your advice. I have in fact missed one class and the reason for my dilemma is because I've already experienced how difficult it is to make up.

Thanks for the sources!

IbnAhmad

Assalaamu Alykum Sister.

Hmmmm, that's a real dilemma. I really couldn't miss an Al - Maghrib class and I really don't know what you can possibly do!

Whatever happens, I pray Allah SWT helps you in making the right decision. Aameen.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaah. I am quite amazed that you are a maghriber and haven't been to Divine Link, or maybe its the first time its coming down to your location :S? Anyhow, some brothers I know got hooked up to Al-Maghrib or Al-Kawthar, because of their amazing salaah course.

Would it be possible you ask one of your friend to record a video/audio of your anatomy class and go for the Al-Maghrib classes?

Wassalaamu `alaykkum