How do you Niyyah?

ASAL

Assalamualaikum.
I am just asking this question out of curiosity.

How do you say(in your heart) your Niyyah? For example when praying.
Do you say it in your native language? Or do you say it in Arabic?
Or does it even matter how we say it?

As for me, i would say it in Arabic as it was taught to me that way.
So how do you say your Niyyah?

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah was asked about the intention when starting to do an act of worship such as praying etc., do we need to utter it verbally, such as saying, “I intend to pray, I intend to fast”?

He replied:

Praise be to Allaah.

The intention of purifying oneself by doing wudoo’ ghusl or tayammum, of praying, fasting, paying zakaah, offering kafaarah (expiation) and other acts of worship does not need to be uttered verbally, according to the consensus of the imaams of Islam. Rather the place of intention is the heart, according to the consensus among them. If a person utters something by mistake that goes against what is in his heart, then what counts is what he intended, not what he said.

No one has mentioned any difference of opinion concerning this matter, except that some of the later followers of al-Shaafa’i expressed approval of that, but some of the leaders of this madhhab said that this was wrong. But in the dispute among the scholars as to whether it is mustahabb to utter one’s intention, there are two points of view. Some of the companions of Abu Haneefah, al-Shaafa’i and Ahmad said that it is mustahabb to utter the intention so as to make it stronger.

Some of the companions of Maalik, Ahmad and others said that it is not mustahabb to utter it, because that is a bid’ah (innovation). It was not narrated that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or his Sahaabah did it or that he commanded anyone among his ummah to utter the intention. That is not known from any of the Muslims. If that had been prescribed then the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions would not have neglected it, as it has to do with worship which the ummah does every day and night.

This is the more correct view. Indeed, uttering the intention is a of irrational thinking and falling short in religious commitment. In terms of falling short in religious commitment, that is because it is bid’ah (an innovation). In terms of irrational thinking, that is because it is like a person who wants to eat some food saying, “I intend to put my hand in this vessel, take out a morsel of food, put it in my mouth and chew it, then swallow it, and eat until I have had my fill.” This is sheer foolishness and ignorance.

Intention is connected to knowledge. If a person knows what he is doing then he has obviously made an intention. It cannot be imagined, if he knows what he wants to do, that he has not formed an intention. The imaams are agreed that speaking the intention out loud and repeating it is not prescribed in Islam, rather the person who has made this a habit should be disciplined and told not to worship Allaah by following bid’ah and not to disturb others by raising his voice.

And Allaah knows best.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

According to Ibn Taymiyyah (and others), the verbal utterance of the niyah is a bid`ah, you say it in your heart in whatever language you speak; it doesn't matter.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Assalamualaikum.
I am just asking this question out of curiosity.

How do you say(in your heart) your Niyyah? For example when praying.
Do you say it in your native language? Or do you say it in Arabic?
Or does it even matter how we say it?

As for me, i would say it in Arabic as it was taught to me that way.
So how do you say your Niyyah?

As long as you are conciously aware of what ibadah you are doing, that is your niyyat.

*FatimaFilsan*

I had the same question and i used to think that we had to utter our niyah. Alhamdulilah my teacher corrected this for me. She thought me that knowing that you are going to perform your actions is enough as a niyah and there is no need to say it. She said that the niyah(intention) is in the heart and not in the tongue. I am happy that Allah has taken away my ignorance in this matter. Alhamdulilah.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.

I had the same question and i used to think that we had to utter our niyah. Alhamdulilah my teacher corrected this for me. She thought me that knowing that you are going to perform your actions is enough as a niyah and there is no need to say it. She said that the niyah(intention) is in the heart and not in the tongue. I am happy that Allah has taken away my ignorance in this matter. Alhamdulilah.

wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Yes that is true. For example: I am going to make wudu when the Muaddin calls for 'Asr prayer. After making wudu, I go to the mosque and start prayer with Imam. So the Niyah is made accordingly. Why did I go to make wudu? To prepare for Prayer. Which Prayer did I prepared for? 'Asr. To whom I pray for? Allah (subuhaanahu wata'aala). So everything included in Niyah is done. We do not need to say a Niyah verbally and if we do, that is a Bid'ah according to respected 'Ulama in Islam.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Abdulkhadir

please read this ...sinned young men

Asalaamu Aleykum Warahmatulah my dearest brothers and sisters

today i'm in need of your help my brothers
i have sinned, not once nor twice, and every single day of its time i kept on saying to my self i'll repant but my brothers and sisters i have done something teribly wrong "may allah subhana wata ala forgive me "

my dearest brothers im ashamed to even talk to you as i do not have the face to face up any brother and tell him my problems ..

i have begged for forgiveness and pardon from Allah and fasted today

my brothers i dont even know where to start ! but please try to understand and not judge

i have been charged with rape :( ... i'm on bail at the moment and due to court next month ... my dear brothers i have been fooled and blamed and now my ALLAH is giving me a lesson ... but this could mean inprisonment for 4 years if i pleed guilty and my whole life could be ruined !

i will fight for this because i'm 120% sure that i can win this case as i have some proofs that may help me ...

my brothers i have already asked ALLAH for forgiveness and pardon for my bad deeds and i will for the rest of my life ...

but the thing is im not sure if i have to repant or not ... ?

dear brothers i will do my best of all to be forgiven of my sins so please if there certain ways that you know let me know please , your help will me very appretiated .

may alaah forive us all for our bad deeds ... though today i feel like the biggest sinner of all time

please read me a dua'a

hassana elkoussi

Asalaamu Aleykum Warahmatulah my dearest brothers and sisters

today i'm in need of your help my brothers
i have sinned, not once nor twice, and every single day of its time i kept on saying to my self i'll repant but my brothers and sisters i have done something teribly wrong "may allah subhana wata ala forgive me "

my dearest brothers im ashamed to even talk to you as i do not have the face to face up any brother and tell him my problems ..

i have begged for forgiveness and pardon from Allah and fasted today

my brothers i dont even know where to start ! but please try to understand and not judge

i have been charged with rape :( ... i'm on bail at the moment and due to court next month ... my dear brothers i have been fooled and blamed and now my ALLAH is giving me a lesson ... but this could mean inprisonment for 4 years if i pleed guilty and my whole life could be ruined !

i will fight for this because i'm 120% sure that i can win this case as i have some proofs that may help me ...

my brothers i have already asked ALLAH for forgiveness and pardon for my bad deeds and i will for the rest of my life ...

but the thing is im not sure if i have to repant or not ... ?

dear brothers i will do my best of all to be forgiven of my sins so please if there certain ways that you know let me know please , your help will me very appretiated .

may alaah forive us all for our bad deeds ... though today i feel like the biggest sinner of all time

please read me a dua'a

As-salamu alaikum brother,

Pls have a look at this thread, http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73703 , read all the posts and listen carefully to the video on repentance. Hope this helps.

salam

xAllahKnowsBestx

All this time I've been saying it loud, as in, "I intend to prayer 4 fardh rakahs of Asr facing the Qiblah blah blah blah" in Arabic. :\ I never knew it was considered Bid'ah.

Astagfirullah, does it make my prayers invalid?

xAllahKnowsBestx

Inshaa'Allaah it doesn't. Don't worry.

Remember the fundamental is that Niyyah is in the heart, and this is clear from the example that IbnAdam gave.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Right, jazakallahu khair brother, I was getting worried.

And thanks to the person who brought up this question!