Making up missed prayers

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

I was viewing the online lecture of "The Believer's Castle" and the sheikh mentioned that one cannot ever make up missed prayers unless if they were missed because of sleep or forgetfulness.

I actually missed a lot of prayers when I was young and not practicing, but I've been trying to make these up with each regular prayer. Tell me, is this wrong? Can no prayer at all be done as qadha?

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Allah swt is Ar-Rahman and Ar-Rahiim!

I was viewing the online lecture of "The Believer's Castle" and the sheikh mentioned that one cannot ever make up missed prayers unless if they were missed because of sleep or forgetfulness.

I actually missed a lot of prayers when I was young and not practicing, but I've been trying to make these up with each regular prayer. Tell me, is this wrong? Can no prayer at all be done as qadha?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:bismillah:

Which do you prefer
qadha it after life or here???
It easier while you r still here but the situation there is different!
It easier to qadha it here!!!

Try not to miss it if you can,

Allah swt is Ar-Rahman and Ar-Rahiim!

May Allah swt forgive us all~Amin!
And

May Allah swt help and guide us~Amin!

Take Care!
~Wassalam :)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2: sis
I'm asking about prayers already missed. And also things where there are circumstances where prayers are missed. Can one not make up any prayers at all (except for sleep and forgetfullness)? Because that is what the sheikh advised.

haakym

love
Asalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmutullahi wa barakatahu,

This question is best to be answered by a shaykh, so do ask one.

But like the shaykh said in the lecture you listened to if you missed a prayer on purpose you can not make it up, you should make tawbah for the prayers you missed on purpose and strive not to miss any again.

However, I think maybe it could be different because you probably didn't know that at the time?

Allah knows best

If you happen to ask a shaykh and get an answer please post it here. I'm going to a fiqh class today, if the shaykh is taking questions I'll ask for you insha'Allah. Also try islamqa.com.

Wassalaam

haakym

love
I found this on islamqa.com

With regard to missing prayers, one of the following two scenarios must apply:

1 – When you miss a prayer unintentionally, for a legitimate shar’i excuse, such as forgetting or sleeping, although you are basically very keen to perform the prayer on time. In this case you are excused but you have to make it up as soon as you remember it. The evidence for that is the hadeeth narrated in Saheeh Muslim (681) which tells how the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions slept and missed Fajr prayer, and the Sahaabah began to ask one another, “What is the expiation (kafaarah) for what we have done by neglecting the prayer?” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said. “Sleeping does not mean that you are neglecting the prayer. Rather neglecting the prayer means not praying one prayer until the time for the next prayer comes. Whoever does that let him pray when he remembers it.”

This does not mean that a person should sleep deliberately when a prayer is due, until he misses it, then use sleep as an excuse, or neglect a means that would help him to do the prayer, and then take that as an excuse. Rather he must make use of all the means he can, as the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did in this case, when he appointed one person to stay awake and wake them up to pray, but that person was overcome by drowsiness, so he did not wake them up. This is the case in which a person may be excused.

2 – When you miss a prayer deliberately. This is a major sin, and it is so serious that some of the scholars stated that the one who does this is a kaafir. (as it says in Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Samaahat al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 10/374). The one who does this has to repent sincerely, according to scholarly consensus. With regard to making up the prayer, there was a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether or not it would be accepted from him if he makes it up afterwards. Most of the scholars said that he should make it up and that his prayer is valid, although he is a sinner (i.e., if he does not repent – and Allaah knows best), as Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthyameen quoted from them in al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/89. The view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) is that it is not valid, and that it is not prescribed for him to make it up. He said in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (34): “It is not prescribed for the one who misses a prayer deliberately to make it up, and the prayer, if he makes it up, is not valid; rather he should do a lot of voluntary (naafil) prayers. This is the view of a group among the Salaf.” One of the contemporary scholars who regarded this view as more correct is Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him); he quoted as evidence for that the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Whoever does an action that is not in accordance with this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), will have it rejected.” (Agreed upon).

So you must beware of this and strive to perform all the prayers on time, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”

[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

source

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Yes, I've also listened to Sheikh Assim alot of times about this question he did say if one intentionally misses then there is no way to make it up he quotes from Ibn Taymiyyah Rahima-ullah fatwa. What we can do is increase our Optional & Voluntary salaah inshaa'Allah it might be compensated for the missed ones.

um__ahmad

I have a question. I only started praying and practicing 6 months ago. I am 30 years old. Alhamdulila i never ever miss a prayer. What do I do about all my messed prayers from the past? :( JAK

Abdul25

Logical Believer
I have a question. I only started praying and practicing 6 months ago. I am 30 years old. Alhamdulila i never ever miss a prayer. What do I do about all my messed prayers from the past? :( JAK

i asked the same question to Shaykh Asim al hakim and he said that you can do nothing now, just make tauba and now from now on dont miss any prayer. like 30 years is a big time span , you can not pray all those missed prayers, one can increase praying Optional & Voluntary salaah . inshAllah it may compensate the missed ones :(

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

:wasalam:

i have seen difference of opinion in this issue. but most of the scholars say you have to make it up. so to be on the safe side.....

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2: Okay, lets say there are two types of missed prayers:

1. The prayers missed when I was not practicing my religion properly, during my teen years, high school, college etc. I sincerely regret that I didn't pay heed and know that I was ignorant. I made repentance, and now I try to pray every single prayer on time. But I want to make up those missed prayers. What I have been doing for more than two years now is pray one qadha with a regular prayer. Alhamdulillah I've completely more than two years missed prayers this way. And Inshallah, I pray to Allah to keep me alive for seven more years so I can make up all my prayers.

2. The second type of missed prayer (which happens very very rarely) is when I am just in a circumstance where I was not able to pray - like on a journey, or outside home and there is just nowhere to pray. This does not happen very much. Can I make this up? I mean, according to what the sheikh said, only sleep and forgetfull are options, but can I not make up my missed prayers here? :(

This is really depressing to me.. :(:(:(

Also, I know some people who do not pray at work, but make up their prayers when they get home. Alhamdullliah I pray at work, but what happens with these people? Can their made up prayers not be accepted?

Again, I really can't express but this matter is quite saddening for me.. I do try to always pray on time, but you know, there are some untoward circumstances where you just can not pray. What then? :(

I also want to add that I started praying my past missed prayers with my regular prayers based on what I once heard a Sheikh say on QTV. I did not make this up on my own (astaghfirullah). The Sheikh then advised and commended people to do like this, saying that making up missed fard prayers is very very important.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Also, I know some people who do not pray at work, but make up their prayers when they get home. Alhamdullliah I pray at work, but what happens with these people? Can their made up prayers not be accepted?

Again, I really can't express but this matter is quite saddening for me.. I do try to always pray on time, but you know, there are some untoward circumstances where you just can not pray. What then? :(

:wasalam:,

i think it can be divided into 2 groups:

1. those who really cant pray during office though they wish they could do that. their hearts are not at ease.

2. those who can pray but produce excuses. they take it lightly and make a habit to pray all the salah at home.

the first case is more strong compared to second.

*i dont knw whether such salah is accepted or not, but personally my heart cannot be at rest until i have prayed qadha of such salah (ie salah missed due to difficult situation).

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
^ But akhi, the sheikh said that even such qadha is not accepted. That is why I'm confused. The Sheikh said there is no qadha of salah missed due to difficult situation, but a person can only make up a prayer if it was missed due to forgetfullness or sleep, or in extreme extreme circumstances, like where a surgeon is operating on a patient, and can not leave the patient while he is cut open.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
How does he know that? Where is it in the Quran or the authentic Hadeeth that says that a qadhaa' prayer is not accepted?

:salam2:,

even scholars like Ibn Taymiyyah (ra) said this bro. its confusing for laymen like us. :confused:

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) aid in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (34): “It is not prescribed for the one who misses a prayer deliberately to make it up, and the prayer, if he makes it up, is not valid; rather he should do a lot of voluntary (naafil) prayers.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Well, I think there is a lot of different opinion on this topic, so lets let it rest.

But, if I do make up my prayers, even if they aren't being accepted, do you think they would be accepted as nawafil instead? I mean, I would rather they be accepted as *anything* as opposed to being straight out rejected. I suppose only Allah SWT knows the answer to that. :)

aslamjiffry

Hubbu Rasoolullah
Allah Azzawajal is Al Gaffar!!!!!!!!!!!!! In future make sure to pray on time..............May Allah Azzawajal Forgive our Sin Ameen

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I also want to add that I started praying my past missed prayers with my regular prayers based on what I once heard a Sheikh say on QTV. I did not make this up on my own (astaghfirullah). The Sheikh then advised and commended people to do like this, saying that making up missed fard prayers is very very important.

QTV shaykh is not reliable. I don't even think that channel should be recommended for us to watch as they have shaykhs from all sects and deviants come and speak on it. Have you seen the tele-Istikharah they do on it ? Astagfirullah.. La Hawla Wa La Quwata Illa Billah.. Shirk being spread from the broadcasting station of a channel that wants to promote the message of Islam..

As for your question on qadha prayer, I highly recommend you to ask some respected, knowledgeable and pious scholar about this issue and the daleel of both these opinions mentioned and which one of them in stronger and widely accepted.

If you can't find someone in your locality, there are lessons and Q&A session of some duat and scholars on the internet and you can pose your questions to them until you are personally satisfied of what you should do for your particular situation.

May Allah azz zawajal grant us all guidance. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Flashbak910

Since I am at school from 7:10 AM to 2:24 PM, how can I make up the prayers that I would miss during that time period?

I would like to do all 5 prayers but I don't think I can with school interfering.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
^ Yes, I am working at a University and I pray in any empty classroom I can find. I am always worried "What if someone comes in?" but that is Shaytaan making me scared, and wanting me to not pray. Try, akhi - inshaAllah, once you start praying you;ll realize its not *that*difficult.