The Dangers Of Women In The Field Of Business, Ibn Katheer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
In his tafseer of soorah 11, verse 114, the aayah of which reads:

And perform the Salat at the two ends of the day and in some hours of the night [i.e. the five compulsory prayers]. Verily, the good deeds remove the evil deeds (i.e. small sins).”

Ibn Katheer mentiones a very interesting story:

Imam Ahmad recorded that Ibn ‘Abbas said that a man came to ‘Umar and said that a woman came to do business with him.

During the course of their business, he took her into his place and did everything with her except the actual act of sexual intercourse.

‘Umar said, “Woe unto you! She probably was a woman whose husband is away (fighting) in the path of Allah.’‘

The man said, “Of course she was.“

‘Umar then said, “Go to Abu Bakr and ask him about this.“

The man went to Abu Bakr and asked him about the matter. Abu Bakr said, “She probably was a woman whose husband is away (fighting) in the path of Allah,” just as ‘Umar had said.

Then he went to the Prophet and told him the same story. The Prophet said;

She probably was a woman whose husband is away (fighting) in the path of Allah.

Then a verse of Qur’an was revealed,

And perform the Salah, at the two ends of the day and in some hours of the night. Verily, the good deeds remove the evil deeds.” [11:114]

The man then said, “O Messenger of Allah! Is this verse only for me, or does it apply to all of the people in general?“

‘Umar then struck the man on his chest with his hand and said, “No, rather it is for all of the people in general.“

Then the Messenger of Allah said,

‘Umar has spoken the truth.

[End Quote]
This incident is recorded in Tafseer Ibn Katheer, under the explanatiopn of the verse 11:114 and is found in Ahmad, and another similar version in Bukhaaree.

An interesting point to be noted is that the man and woman who done everything together “except the actual act of sexual intercourse”, were both Companions of the Prophet (saw)!

If such was the case for the most noble and fearful of all generations, what about those possessing less taqwa’? It is sad to say that women are increasing and increasing in the field of business, looking outside of the house, ignoring the dangers, and ignoring the fitna awaiting.

True was the one (i.e, the Prophet (saw)) who said:

The women is object of concealment, when she leaves the house, Shaytaan (the Devil) beautifies her.” [Tirmidhi, and it is Saheeh]

Related articles:

Victims of Freemixing

Source: http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.c...f-women-in-the-field-of-business-ibn-katheer/

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Explain then, if you will, how Lady Khadeeja, may God have been pleased with her, was a successful business woman who operated caravans and trade and hired and managed men, one of whom was the Prophet himself, peace be upon him.

There is nothing wrong in a woman being a business woman, as long as she adheres to Islamic teachings about appearance and mannerism.

:salam2:,

i agree that women can work within the Islamic limits but there are some points to be noted here:

1. Khadijah (ra) was a businesswoman before coming of Islam. not sure how she proceeded with business after Islam came.

2. she did not travel with men for business purpose.

3. when Islam came, she was old enough.

4. only a fool will believe that men-women working together 8 hrs a day with their beautiful faces exposed to each other brings no desires.

PS: i also understand that many a times it is necessary for women to work and they cant find segregated environment. may Allah help us.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:3. when Islam came, she was old enough.

4. only a fool will believe that men-women working together 8 hrs a day with their beautiful faces exposed to each other brings no desires.

:salam2:

Interesting reasons. I work with men 8 hours a day but there is no desire between me and them. Maybe then, I too am enough old?

:)

Ibn Uthaymin

^ Exactly. You cant generalize, some people are just super awesome when it comes to controlling their desires.

May Allah grant you good.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am getting angry. Women are not sexual objects. Islam liberated us. For those who think we have sex on our minds 24/7 let me tell you a little something:
We do not have sex on our minds.
When I work with you..the last thing on my mind is you as a man. I want to do my job and go home to my family.
One of the reasons Islam suggests more than one wife is because women get tired of sex. We have better things on our minds.

Working with a man does not bring desire.

I think it is the opposite. I think we have men who can not curb their desire and throw it back on women to save their pride. Men are the ones with the insatiable sexual appetite.

So..brothers do not accuse my gender of wishing sex. We don't. And do not make excuses for it.

The danger of women in the field of business is we meet men who can not stop thinking about sex.

Idris16

SubhanAllah i dont get how this thread changed direction.. the thread doesnt say women stop working with business!! rather this is something else. This was the biggest point.

If such was the case for the most noble and fearful of all generations, what about those possessing less taqwa’?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
What is the ruling on a woman working as a businesswoman, whether she travels or stays at home?

Answer:

The basic principle is that it is permissible for both men and woman to earn money and do business when travelling and staying at home, because of the general meaning of the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning): “Allaah has permitted trading and forbidden Riba” [al-Baqarah 2:275] and the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he was asked, What earning is best? He said: “That which a man earns with his own hands, and every transaction is blessed.” And it is proven that the early Muslim women used to buy and sell with modesty and they avoided showing their beauty. But if a woman’s doing business means that she will expose her beauty such as the face that Allaah has forbidden her to show, or to her travelling without a mahram, or mixing with non-mahram men in a way that it is feared will lead to fitnah, then it is not permissible for her to do that, rather she should refrain from that, because if the haraam thing that she has to do in order to obtain something permissble. End quote.

We ask Allaah to help and guide you and to reward you for your intentions and your actions.

And Allaah knows best.

Islamqa

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In all honesty what is the answer for women that have to work. If we are working out of need and not begging.
In this case the sexism has to stop.

Mairo

Maryama
In his tafseer of soorah 11, verse 114, the aayah of which reads:

And perform the Salat at the two ends of the day and in some hours of the night [i.e. the five compulsory prayers]. Verily, the good deeds remove the evil deeds (i.e. small sins).”

Ibn Katheer mentiones a very interesting story:

Imam Ahmad recorded that Ibn ‘Abbas said that a man came to ‘Umar and said that a woman came to do business with him.

During the course of their business, he took her into his place and did everything with her except the actual act of sexual intercourse.

‘Umar said, “Woe unto you! She probably was a woman whose husband is away (fighting) in the path of Allah.’‘

‘Umar then said, “Go to Abu Bakr and ask him about this.“

The man went to Abu Bakr and asked him about the matter. Abu Bakr said, “She probably was a woman whose husband is away (fighting) in the path of Allah,” just as ‘Umar had said.

Then he went to the Prophet and told him the same story. The Prophet said;

She probably was a woman whose husband is away (fighting) in the path of Allah.

And perform the Salah, at the two ends of the day and in some hours of the night. Verily, the good deeds remove the evil deeds.” [11:114]

The man then said, “O Messenger of Allah! Is this verse only for me, or does it apply to all of the people in general?“

‘Umar then struck the man on his chest with his hand and said, “No, rather it is for all of the people in general.“

Then the Messenger of Allah said,

‘Umar has spoken the truth.

[End Quote]
This incident is recorded in Tafseer Ibn Katheer, under the explanatiopn of the verse 11:114 and is found in Ahmad, and another similar version in Bukhaaree.

An interesting point to be noted is that the man and woman who done everything together “except the actual act of sexual intercourse”, were both Companions of the Prophet (saw)!

If such was the case for the most noble and fearful of all generations, what about those possessing less taqwa’? It is sad to say that women are increasing and increasing in the field of business, looking outside of the house, ignoring the dangers, and ignoring the fitna awaiting.

The women is object of concealment, when she leaves the house, Shaytaan (the Devil) beautifies her.” [Tirmidhi, and it is Saheeh]

Related articles:

Victims of Freemixing

Source: http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.c...f-women-in-the-field-of-business-ibn-katheer/

Assalamu aleikum,

I have a different understanding in response to what has been presented.

While I agree it is important for men and women to be very careful when mixing with one another, the truth of the matter is that both parties need to guard, the onus should not fall to women. I also agree that not everyone has the same level of strength in keeping their interactions correct. There is an important reason that muslims are advised to take care to avoid private interactions in between men and women who are not mahrams, as Muhammad warned that when a man and women are alone, Shaitan is the third party. It is certainly a challenging environment these days, I think especially for brothers in the West who are working in very mixed environments, often times with women who are not muslim and have no regard for such protections. But I have some other views on the matter as presented.

As men are supposed to be protectors of women, they have a much greater responsibility to ensure that their interactions with women are proper and not conducive to improprieties. If you look at the description of what transpired in the story above, you see that initially the man and women were simply conducting a business transaction. Why on earth did he feel compelled to bring her into his house? What does that have to do with conducting business?

As Umar had noted when this man explained what happened, he said:

Woe unto you! She probably was a woman whose husband is away (fighting) in the path of Allah."

And as related both Abu Bakr and Muhammad, peace be upon them all, all came to the same conclusion as Umar. How very unfortunate that this man took advantage of her vulnerable position, knowing that her husband was away fighting jihad, to have his way with her. Who knows what actually transpired between the man and woman - if it was consensual desire or potentially the man took advantage of her beyond her consent.

Where it is noted

By this reaction one can see that Umar was obviously upset that the man would even think that this verse would be directed specifically at him, that he struck him in the chest!

In the West most business places have very strict policies against sexual harrassment in the workplace, it is considered extremely inappropriate behaviour, so much so that parties can be fired if it is discovered that coworkers have an intimate relationship with each other - even if it is consentual. People need to keep themselves in check!

These days, there are many women who enter the workforce not by choice but by necessity, especially here in the US. For myself, I have had no option for the last nearly 20 years but to work to support myself on my own two feet. And alhamdulilahi in the process I have been able to contribute to supporting many others through my efforts, which I feel is truly a blessing. Allah has enabled me to be in this position, and I cannot question why or wish I was granted a different destiny where I could stay in the home all day (although I do long for that and inshaAllah one day may realize that). I am simply grateful and do my best with what I have been given. Alhamdulilahi, I am fortunate where I work I have my own office, I work at a women owned firm with more than 75% female coworkers, they are very supportive of my religion and make whatever arrangements I need with respect to my prayer requriements, holiday requirements, etc.

Also, as others have mentioned, there are also many examples of women working during the time of the prophet. Already mentioned is the example of Khadija, blessings on her. But there were many other examples as well. There are stories of women helping on the battefield, sometimes even fighting alongside the men! I also recall a hadith that told the story of a man who was unable to work, so his wife worked to provide for him and thier children. She asked Muhammad, peace and blessings of Allah on him, for his opinion of this and he was extremely supportive of her, saying she was blessed for having done so!

Also, I don't think it is a very valid argument to say:
"If such was the case for the most noble and fearful of all generations, what about those possessing less taqwa’?"

There were many types of people in the community of believers at the time of Muhammad. There were varying degrees, some were stronger than others with respect to faith, understanding, practice of religion, etc. Muhammad actually said that it was not the Companions during his time that were his true brothers. But that his true brothers/sisters would be the ones who came later, who never saw him or met him but would hear his words and believe and follow them just because they know his guidance is right.

In my own marriage alhamdulilahi my husband has so much trust in me that he has no qualms whatsoever regarding me in any environment, he knows the strengths of my convictions and that I know how to conduct myself in the world. Due to my schedule I often leave the house first thing in the morning not to return until late at night. At times he needs to travel away from home on business for extended stretches of time. But in spite of these things he has no worry whatsoever. He has told me before that if it were anyone else in the world he wouldn't feel such ease, but with me he has no hesitation about my fidelity under any circumstance, stating that he could easily allow me to travel to the far end of the globe myself if I so desired, without one worry.

In my opinion, there should be less focus trying to build a case for why women shouldn't work, and more focus on what we can all do to strengthen our deen and how we should all protect ourselves outside of the home. But perhaps more importantly, we also all need to have the ability and ease to be good, contributing members of society in whatever environment we find ourselves in, and I think this should be supported, not looked down on.

Allahu alam

:wasalam:

hana*

this thread is highly provocative! what benefit have you brought to us muslims by posting this?..... that women should be locked away indoors as they are such 'fitnah' to men? firstly, if every man dressed properly, did lowering of the gaze and did not speak with women (except for reasons such as work, medical, etc) and every woman dressed appropriately and did lowering of the gaze and no excessive chit-chat then the story would be entirely different.

im tired of reading provocative threads targetting women, get over yourself already. women make up more than 50% of the muslim ummah, and to keep them all locked away hidden at home would disable more than half of the ummah..

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah

We have to understand, that the thread maker did never pass some thing like, women can never work..

What he wanted to tell is, when BOTH the working women and men do go out of the Islamic law, then there might come a Fitna...

'COZ, IN THAT STORY, THE WOMAN AND THE MAN, BOTH GO TO THE MAN'S PLACE.....

THIS IS NOT PERMISSIBLE... this is what the message... no body said, that we can not work..

Of course I know that he said,

“The women is object of concealment, when she leaves the house, Shaytaan (the Devil) beautifies her.” [Tirmidhi, and it is Saheeh]

But we are cant quote him out of context...

I AM NOT TRYING TO ARGUE, BUT JUST FEELING LIKE, TELLING MY UNDERSTANDING...:hijabi:

As I understand he says that if the people who had more thaqwa can commit a mistake, then what about us?? because, the ladies who possess the beauty NATURALLY, are going out without having a proper knowledge, might attract the men who too have never got the proper knowledge of Islam ..

SO WE HAVE TO BE CAREFUL...BOTH MEN AND WOMEN WHO GO OUT TO WORK

I think he wanted to discuss the current problem, and thats all:)

ALLAH AZZAWAJAL KNOWS THE BEST

Take it easy every one..:)

Any ways, an interesting thread,,,:):)

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It is not that we are arguing him out of context.

We are on the defensive as we are women who have to work out of necessity. We have enough stress and pressures of life. We are faithful women. We aim to practice our faith and increase our iman.
To have our faith criticized and it be suggested we are weaklings falling prey to sexual advances and/or are working to be provocative is an insult to us.
We are strong Muslim women. And it hurts most when our brothers misunderstand us more than the kuffir.
Kuffir men do not come near Muslim women. My contact is always professional and short. There is not time for small talk. I am a believing woman.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Assalaam walaikum,

It is not that we are arguing him out of context.

We are on the defensive as we are women who have to work out of necessity. We have enough stress and pressures of life. We are faithful women. We aim to practice our faith and increase our iman.
To have our faith criticized and it be suggested we are weaklings falling prey to sexual advances and/or are working to be provocative is an insult to us.
We are strong Muslim women. And it hurts most when our brothers misunderstand us more than the kuffir.
Kuffir men do not come near Muslim women. My contact is always professional and short. There is not time for small talk. I am a believing woman.

I understand your feelings... and I agree with you, Aunt..:)
True its unbearable when the Muslim brothers criticize us.. its truly hurts..:girl3: I agree...

hm............................ LET THE PEACE BEGIN :hijabi::hijabi::hijabi:

You always have a unique way to let others feel the feelings WE posses..:):mashallah:

Love u aunt...:muslim_child:

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts:

um__ahmad

istaghfafrallah...........People are always ready to argue anf misunderstand. Thanks for posting I understood your point and message :) Jak

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
A few point to clear some misconceptions in shaa Allaah:

1) The title of the thread reads "The dangers of..." not "The impermissibility of..."

2) The scholars of Islaam have stated that it is compulsory for men to go out and work a living, such is not the case for women (i.e, it is not COMPULSORY for them)...

As for this statement:

And believe me, so was she (in the story)... Maybe more of a believer than all of us put together!

[I'm not a debator... just saying]

Sorry of i hurt any1s feelings thru this post...

Peace and love 2 all

Wassalaamu 'alaykum

Status
Not open for further replies.