I went to a Mosque today...

JordanWilson

I visited a mosque today to try to expand my small knowledge of Islam, and I actually found it quite pleasant. I got a few stares from peoplebut that is to be expected. I am going to visit a Muslim school tomorrow, which I look forward to.
I was just wondering, is your Shahada invalid if you made any mistakes while saying it, even if you meant to say it right? Because I worry that I am not a true Muslim if I have said it wrongly...

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I'm pretty sure all Muslims get it wrong the first time, if they've had no knowledge of Arabic.

I am also sure people will agree that even though you said it with mistakes, it's your Niyyah (intention in your heart) which counts.

islamlover49

Brother..... Masha Allah for your efforts !

Allah knows all the languages....dont worry he will accept your deeds and intentions, insha Allah..May Allah protect u and me for the sake of ISlam..!

salahdin

Welcome to ISLAM brother ,everything depends on ones intention .

'Umar b. al-Khattab narrated that the Prophet (S) said: Deeds are [a result] only of the intentions [of the actor], and an individual is [rewarded] only according to that which he intends. Therefore, whosoever has emigrated for the sake of Allah and His messenger, then his emigration was for Allah and His messenger. Whosoever emigrated for the sake of worldly gain, or a woman [whom he desires] to marry, then his emigration is for the sake of that which [moved him] to emigrate." Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim.

Mairo

Maryama
:salam2:

Excellent! It is great to see you embracing your faith whole-heartedly. I will make dua (pray) that you will encounter an individual that will be a good mentor for you, as you are seeking.

I would encourage you to take some time to learn about how to pray (salat), as it will become your foundation in the religion. Learning the Arabic will take some time, so don't be discouraged and have patience with yourself in the process. In the meantime you can learn the actions that comprise salat, as well as the meanings in English.
http://www.turntoislam.com/index.php?page=pray

Definitely take your time and take one step at a time - learning and growing in Islam is progressive, the knowledge you gain will inshaAllah (God willing) always keep building on itself. Islam is also a religion not only of study and learning, but also of actions, implementing what has been learned - with respect to all aspects of life, how to beseech Allah, how to be a good family member, an upright and contributing member to not only the Muslim community but the society at large, etc. Keep in mind that in its simplicity, Islam is about belief in and worship of Allah, and acting as a good and upright human being.

As a fellow revert, I really appreciated the following article, hope it will be of benefit to you as well:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7745

Best wishes to you!

:wasalam:

Parvaiz

On the day of judgment after all are in their dwellings heaven and hell ,All will say to the Angel remove anyone who had said The Shahada or had fear of me anytime to the weight of the grain remove him out of it and grant him paradise.

So it also clears your doubt that even Allah will forgive those who had anytime fear of him,its more to do with your intention than to do with pronunciation.

There is also one other incident when Abu talib was close to death Prophet Muhammad Asked him to say the Shahada even if it was in his ears,with the intention he believed in Allah,so Prophet Muhammad could ask for his forgiveness but sadly he dint.Anyways as other brother said the first thing yu now need to do is learn how to pray which is the only way which gets you closer to Allah.May Allah guide you to the right path and grant you paradise:)

Mairo

Maryama
I was just wondering, is your Shahada invalid if you made any mistakes while saying it, even if you meant to say it right? Because I worry that I am not a true Muslim if I have said it wrongly...

As others have already mentioned, actions are judged by intentions, and Allah knows the sincerity in your heart.

As some additional encouragement you can consider the following as well:

Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings upon him) said: “Verily the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Bukhari and Muslim]

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
I visited a mosque today to try to expand my small knowledge of Islam, and I actually found it quite pleasant. I got a few stares from peoplebut that is to be expected. I am going to visit a Muslim school tomorrow, which I look forward to.

As others here have also mentioned that your intentions are more important than any mistakes you have made during Shahada. Specially if you have also said its translation in English (as they always do) then there is no need to worry about it.
Good Luck with your school brother.

JordanWilson

I visited the school, but due to certain circumstancesI had to go back to the mosque, which was an incredibly enlightening experience. I have decided to disregard any Shahada I may have said in the past. I am going to take my Shahada in a mosque, with fellow Muslims.
They provided me with information and were very kind and understanding. I have looked at the information which gives scientific evidence that the Qu'ran is the Word of God. I now have no doubt in my mind.
Islam is truth.
I will take my Shahada in my local mosque (or should I say masjid) as soon as possible.

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome little brother

Alhamdulillah I am so happy to hear that you are continuing your journey in Islam and that you have been to the masjid!!!

Dont worry about the words to shahada little bro........I told you as everyone here verified - it is your intention that mattered not so much the words! Allah is who guided you so have no worries little brother!!!! Inshallah your testimony was accepted and you are a full fledged Muslim now!!! Again congratulations to you from Aziz and myself and if you need anything or have any questions dont hesitate to ask!!!

We are so happy for you!!!! Alhamdulillah!

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Alhamdulillah!

:bismillah:

:ma:
Alhamdulillah!

~May Allah swt help and guide you always
~Amin!

I am very please and happy for you
my brother.

~Happy Maál Hijrah
1432 Hijrah
To you
And All Muslim.

Take Care!
~Wassalam :)

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaykum brother,
I missed out on alot of things....well, Welcome to Islam!!

All praise and thanks to Allaah almighty who guided you to the path of truth.

just for your information, the journey sometimes gets tough.....every Muslim will have a test of Imaan. When the time comes, please make sure to be patient and always pray to Allaah for ease. Insha'Allaah, all will be just fine.
Welcome !