Ashura - A Muslim and Shia Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Ashura - A Muslim and Shia Perspective

10th of Muharram (the day of Ashura) is observed as an important day by both Muslims and Shia – however, for different reasons.

Most scholars believe that Ahsura is named as such because of “tenth” of Muharram (ten is translated as “Ashara” in the Arabic language)
Muslims look at Ashura as “good” while Shia believe that day to be a day of mourning and sorrow.

Muslims

Based on the Hadith of Prophet Muhammad (sal allah alayhi wasalam), Muslims celebrate Ashura as the day when Prophet Moses (alayhi salam) fasted on that day because Allah saved the Israelites from their enemy in Egypt. One of the many Ahadith (sayings of Prophet Muhammad) that attests to that is in Bukhari that states:

Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1865) from Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: The Prophet (sal allah alayhi wasalam) came to Madinah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashoora. He said, “What is this?” They said, “This is a good day, this is the day when Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemy and Moosa fasted on this day.” He (the Prophet Muhammad) said, “We are closer to Moosa than you.”
So he (the Prophet Muhammad) fasted on this day and told the people to fast.
There are many other versions of this Hadith in the books of “Muslim” and “Bukhari”.
According to a version narrated by Muslim,
This is a great day when Allah saved Moosa (Moses) and his people and drowned Pharaoh and his people.”

Muslims celebrate Ashura by fasting on that day and are recommended to fast on the 9th and 10th of Muharram.

It is permissible to fast the day of Ashoora on its own, but it is better to fast the day before it or the day after it. This is the Sunnah that is proven from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), as he said, “If I am still alive next year, I will certainly fast the ninth.” Narrated by Muslim, 1134. [Source: Islam-QA.com (question 21776)]
Other Ahadith on the subject are the following:

The prophet observed the fast on Ashuraa (the 10th of Muharram), and ordered (Muslims) to fast on that day. (Agreed upon Hadith i.e. Bukhari & Muslim).

Narrated by Abu Qatada: The prophet (sal allah alayhi wasalam) was asked about fasting on ‘Ashuraa’ (the 10th of Muharram), he said: “it expiates the previous year (for sins).” (Sahih Muslim)

It was proven from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that the best fasting after Ramadaan is fasting in the month of Muharram. It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The best fasting after Ramadaan is the month of Allaah Muharram, and the best prayer after the obligatory prayer is prayer at night.” Narrated by Muslim, 1163.

Shia

Shia observe Ashura as the day of martyrdom of Hussein ibn Ali, the grandson of Prophet Muhammad at the Battle of Karbala. Shia therefore consider this a day of sorrow and observe it as such by refraining from music, listening to sorrowful poetic recitations, wearing mourning attire, and refraining from all joyous events (e.g. weddings) that in anyway distract them from the sorrowful remembrance of that day.

Some Shia sects carry the observance to further extremes by beating themselves with chains in public, cutting themselves with knives and sharp objects and holding mournful public processions.

Muslims believe such Shia practices (beating, etc.) of the day of Muharram (Ashura) as innovations. Their basis is that during the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) a number of senior Sahabah (Prophet’s companions) were martyred and he mourned their loss, such as Hamzah ibn Abd al-Muttalib, Zayd ibn Haarithah, Jafar ibn Abi Taalib and Abd-Allah ibn Rawaahah, but he never practiced any such acts. [References: Islam-QA.com]

The Facts

We have a clear record of the Prophet [sal allah alayhi wasalam] fasting on the 10th of Muharram. This is a sunnah of the Prophet [sal allah alayhi wasalam] recorded in Ahadith. In addition we also have recorded in Ahadith that the Prophet desired/recommended the fasting on the 9th. In addition the Prophet stated that fasting on the 10th expiates the sins for the last year. There is no record of the Prophet inflicting bodily harm upon himself. There is no record of the Prophet mourning the anniversary of anyone’s death. The Prophet prohibited the veneration of anyone after their death as the Christians did. We know it is a fact that Christians in every church service celebrate the “death” of Jesus (Isaa’) [alyhi salam] as part of their worship. Such practices were never practiced by the Prophet [sal allah alayhi wasalam], or even by Ali, [radi allah anhu] for any of the Sahabah or even Ahlil Bayt (the Prophet’s family members). In addition to this we know that the Prophet [sal allah alayhi wasalam] did not reveal any benefit (such as the expiation for sins) with celebrating the annual return of the death of any individual. We also know that by fasting on this day, we are honoring not one but two Prophets (Muhammad who practiced it and Musa who is associated with the original event that the day remembers).

Any Muslim, regardless of their personal beliefs, when presented with the evidence must reach the following conclusions: Regardless of when Ali [radi allah anhu] was killed, the Prophet [sal allah alayhi wasalam] had already given instructions as to how to act on the 10th of Muharram. The death of no human can change those instructions (not even Ali). The expiation of sins was given by the Prophet for the observance of fasting on that day in honor of another prophet (Musa). There was no benefit given for the repeated mourning of any Prophet, or Sahabah and in fact the opposite was true the annual recurrence is never celebrated for fear of it becoming Shirk). AND THIS IS ANOTHER UGLY EXAMPLE OF BID3AH!

The 9th and 10th of Muharam fall on the 15th and 16th December 2010. May Allah accept our fasting and please don't forget to pray for our imprisoned brothers and sisters who are at the hands of the kuffar.

Aloosh12

Banned
i will take my revenge from you in the judgement day who are you to isolate a school of thought from islam. If the al azhar in egypt who is a marja'iya accepted shiite as a school of thought who do u think you are.
If you want to believe a fabrication of hadeeth claming that u should fast because the prophet (blessings upon on him and his family) saw a group of jews fasting then u can fall under those deillusional story telling.
Shame on you Salafi followers. Because of people like you; extremists justfiy blowing themselves up in places like mosques...
Let Allah guide you

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
i will take my revenge from you in the judgement day who are you to isolate a school of thought from islam. If the al azhar in egypt who is a marja'iya accepted shiite as a school of thought who do u think you are.
If you want to believe a fabrication of hadeeth claming that u should fast because the prophet (blessings upon on him and his family) saw a group of jews fasting then u can fall under those deillusional story telling.
Shame on you Salafi followers. Because of people like you; extremists justfiy blowing themselves up in places like mosques...
Let Allah guide you

:salam2:

Following the Prophet SAW is being delusional ? I don't think your post merits anyone's attention after reading that particular line.

Also, please take your hate filled rhetoric elsewhere.

And for the record, we have never stood for violence or killing of any civilians, be it muslim or non muslim.

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
:salam2:

Following the Prophet SAW is being delusional ? I don't think your post merits anyone's attention after reading that particular line.

Also, please take your hate filled rhetoric elsewhere.

And for the record, we have never stood for violence or killing of any civilians, be it muslim or non muslim.

:salam2: brother
Is this for me?
:wasalam:

saifkhan

abd-Allah
:salam2: brother
Is this for me?
:wasalam:

salam alaikum

no brother, it is for Aloosh12,
read his reply
I think the moderators should take care of him...he he

I think I should not write more than that, but.......school of thought?
anyways.

JazakAllah khair
wassalam

Aloosh12

Banned
my point is no one has the right or the position to kafir anyone or give a judgement in the name of islam as an individual... what i say is facts no hate intended

alf2

Islam is a way of life
my point is no one has the right or the position to kafir anyone or give a judgement in the name of islam as an individual... what i say is facts no hate intended

Your post came off as extremely hateful and unwarranted.
And trust me, although there are some people here who follow the Salafi school of belief, not everyone here does. Furthermore, I am appalled you said the comment about blowing things up!

Muslims no matter what school of thought should ever be okay with the killing of innocent people, such as suicide bombing. Its not secret that there is lots of violence, especially the blowing up of Mosques. But no one here condones those haneous acts!

alf2

Islam is a way of life
well he called the school of thought i belong too a kafir why dont you criticise him

Because I have done a lot of criticizing on this site and all it does is cause stress and drama. I get drama enough from my family & friends, when I'm on this site all I want is to smooth the tides and get along with my brothers & sisters in Islam.

Do I think that Shia and other sects are Kufr? No.
Do some other people think that? Yes.

I know it must bother you to see people calling you a Kufr, and I'm sorry for that. But the way to get them to re-think their position is not to say "Well Salafi's are terrorists" That makes you loose any credibility.

In the end, we are all Judged by Allah (subhan wa'tala) and for now we all trying to do a common thing: Striving for Jannah. Lets all just agree on that and move on from there.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salafis encourage people to blow themselves up???

Wow, you really need to study from credible sources and not just pay attention to hear-say and the already biased non-Muslim, self-promoted 'experts' on Islam.

justoneofmillion

well he called the school of thought i belong too a kafir why dont you criticise him
:salam2:Why don t you just become Muslim,and spare us the whole fuss,follow the Quraan and the Sunnah of rasouloullah.it is simple down bow down to ''ayatollahs", astagfirullah for that word!And how can you claim to follow somebody whom you insult the wife Aicha R.A. How do you want people to get along with you if you insult their mothers and fathers,like you do with us!Would you reason with somebody that did that to you!and what about the companions who sacrificed everything to bring Islam to the four corners of the world subhanallah!who opened Egypt,Persia,As Shaam..etc, do you think Islam spread so far at the hands of hypocrites without Imaan, and who are you to judge them anyways!.|Be just and Reason with yourself,intellect is a mean of enlightenment from Allah swt.Don t be blinded by partisan discourses. and emotional rush,and do not judge so that you won't be judged.Salaaman Salaaman

Aloosh12

Banned
Why do u want be to become a sunni when u have hadeeths and fatwas claiming that aisha used to breastfeed adults and u criticise our temporary marriage when a scholar in the wahabi sect made a fatwa about a marriage called "marriage with the niya of divorce" (funny thing its way similar to the temporary one"
I will join the sunni sect only if u are capable of uniting it... al7amdolliah the shiite the only thing within the shiite is that people disagree on one of the imams but as a saheeh hadeeth u should know ure 12 imams or else u die the death of jahiliya

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Why do u want be to become a sunni when u have hadeeths and fatwas claiming that aisha used to breastfeed adults and u criticise our temporary marriage when a scholar in the wahabi sect made a fatwa about a marriage called "marriage with the niya of divorce" (funny thing its way similar to the temporary one"
I will join the sunni sect only if u are capable of uniting it... al7amdolliah the shiite the only thing within the shiite is that people disagree on one of the imams but as a saheeh hadeeth u should know ure 12 imams or else u die the death of jahiliya

Brother you need serious help. How is following a deviated sect going to help us?

First of all, stop labelling anyone who automatically disagrees with this opinion of yours as Salafi and extremist. It makes you look desperate and pathetic. This is not how you debate with someone.

Secondly, you state that you know that the Hadith is fabricated AND that what you say is FACT. Last I checked, no one on this board was of the ulema. What is your source of Hadith? State actual daleel otherwise there is no way anything you say will be considered fact.

Aisha breastfed adults huh? Okay, where's your source? And as for your mutah marriage.......totally NOT even going there.

saifkhan

abd-Allah

you know you've crossed the limits
wa-llahi, I'm leaving it to Allah azza wa jal
you know what you've written, audhubi-llah:
Jahil you are, how dare you take the name of Ummul Mu'mineen in this manner, audhubi-llah, wa-llahi, if Allah is gonna strict, you gonna have a lot problem. may Allah's curse upon you....the most sophisticated wishing I could use.

you know you people are dangerous than the Jews and Christians....indeed

go ashtray, you dont have the right to mess up the peace of the blessed forum.

Aloosh12

Banned
i swear what i say is nothing but the truth i have nothing against aisha she is the mother of the believers as the quraan said but those hadeeths are from your books...

Abu Talib

Feeling low

:salam2

Which scholar stated that could you mention. For the sake of humanity and courtesy could stop your odious behavior about Aisha RadiAllahu Anha. Sunnis are united as long as they remain on tawheed and we would in divisions which is not new its been decreed. The Prophet Mohammed Sallahu alayhis sallam was also a Imam so was abu bakr RadiAllah Anhu so wouldn't we die the death of Jahiliyyah if we didn't follow them?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
i swear what i say is nothing but the truth i have nothing against aisha she is the mother of the believers as the quraan said but those hadeeths are from your books...

You still have not answered the question. Where are your sources? You slander the Mother of the Believers, state that our Hadith is fabricated, and say that if we don't believe in your twelve imams, we're going to hell.

Where's your proof? You state you speak fact but I see nothing to back up your words. You talk about our so-called "books". Where's YOUR book?

saifkhan

abd-Allah

what is in your mind, Allah knows it well, very well, the thing He knows more than you. so I'm leaving it to Him.

when we MUSLIMS take the name of A'isha, the mother of the believer we say radhi Allahu anha, when we MUSLIMS take her name.

wa-llahu alimun Hakim

Aloosh12

Banned
bro im going to end it here i dont wana make more fuss about this i did my job i spread the knowledge its up to you to take it or not... I hope allah guides us all
Salam Alaikom

Status
Not open for further replies.