Men can shake hands with women.

Ibn Uthaymin

This is taken form Shaykh Yusuf Al Qardawi`s site.

Did Imam Ibn Hajr Al Asqalani actually say that?

It is narrated on the authority of Ibn Hibban, Al-Bazzar, Al-Tabari, and Ibn Mardawih that Umm `Atiyyah said in respect of the story of taking the oath of allegiance of women, “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) held out his hand from outside the house and we (the immigrating women) held our hands from within the house, then he said, ‘O Allah, bear witness.’” In another narration reported by Al-Bukhari, Umm `Atiyyah said, “… thereupon a lady withdrew her hand (refrained from taking the oath of allegiance)…” This narration indicates that they (the immigrating women) took their oath of allegiance by shaking hands. Al-Hafidh said: we reply to the first saying that holding out hands from behind a veil is an indication of the acceptance of the allegiance even if there was no shaking of hands. As for the second narration, withdrawing hands indicates the postponement of accepting the pledge of allegiance or that taking the pledge of allegiance happened from behind a veil. This is supported by that narration of Abu Dawud on the authority of Al-Sha`bi that when the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) wanted to take the pledge of allegiance of the immigrating women he brought a garment and put it over his hands saying, “I do not shake hands with women.” Furthermore, in his book Maghazi, Ibn Is`haq is reported to have said that when the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) wanted to take the pledge of allegiance of the immigrating women, he would dip his hands in a vessel and a woman would dip her hands with him in the same vessel.

Al-Hafidh Ibn Hajar said: it is possible that taking the pledge of allegiance happened on more than one occasion. Sometimes, it happened without touching hands by any means, as narrated by `A’ishah. Another time it happened that the women’s oath of allegiance was accepted by shaking their hands with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), as narrated by Al-Sha`bi. A third time it happened that they dipped their hands in the vessel as mentioned by Ibn Is`haq.

Idris16

It was narrated in a saheeh hadeeth that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I do not shake hands with women.” And ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The hand of the Messenger of Allaah never touched the hand of any [non-mahram] woman, and he used to accept their oath of allegiance in words only.”
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/14508/SHAKING

al-Qaradawi is misguiding people, we should not take anything from him. He has made halaal that which is haraam.

It comes from his making permissible what is known as prohibited by necessity in the religion of Allah:

- Like his permitting for a woman to sing in theatres and with the usage of music.
1. "The Committee permits the selling of alcohol and pork in the supermarkets that are owned by Muslims if there is a need to sell it, and the Committee states as a condition that those types of products are little in comparison to the general sales.

[Translator’s Note: This fatwa was issued before al-Qaradaawi’s appalling statements concerning the US crusade on Afghanistan, where he saw it permitted for a Muslim to join the US army and fight with it, as long as he is not on the front line! So ponder, dear brother, to level has this man reached in his misguidance! We ask Allah for protection for this ummah from this mans misguidances.]

http://www.en.altartosi.com/qardawi.htm

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
:wasalam:

I am just thinking.. that ALLAH AZZAWAJAL has said in the Qur'an that

Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. (24:30)

If a gaze can bring a great fitna, WHAT ABOUT TOUCHING ????????????????????

:astag::astag::astag::astag::astag:

ALLAH AZZAWAJAL knows the best...

FEE AMANILLAH

Ibn Uthaymin

I understand what you are saying. But sometimes in my own life i had to shake hands with women, and it made me feel like absolute poo for doing something which i perceived was wrong!

But if a scholar like Imam Ibn Hajr deduced from a hadeeth the permissibility....its just gives me such huge relief. Is that even a good thing?" i dont know.

And I dont know about Yusuf Al Qardawi, the Imam in my local mosque said he was a big time shaykh and he spent sometime with him and saw what a great man he is.

Allah knows best

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
:salam2:

If Yusuf Al Qaradwi can make music Halal so he can also make shaking hands with women Halal too.

:wasalam:

His famous book, Al-Halâl wal-Harâm fil-Islâm has earned it's self a more accurate title, namely Al-Halâl wal-Halâl fil-Islâm.

108EEDMAH

your alowed to shake hands with ppl that dont know about islam n its rules. if a non muslim sticks out there hand for me to shake it, it would be rude to not. and they might
think islam is like a rude relgion. plus with the lowering of the gaze. what if im at a supermarket and the person at the till is a women. i would look lik an idiot trying to give her money and not look at her. how am i suppose to see where she is. there are certain times where your aloud to do stuff. and no where in the Quran does it say its haram to look at girls or touch a women. its bad, lik saying a bad word but not haram. but to us whatever Allah recommends or anything the Prophet did we should do no matter what. and the thing with selling alcohol and prok ya thats haram. i think its all about ur intentions, if you know the person is muslim, then you shouldnt have to shake their hand.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Respected brother, the sunnah is like the Qur'aan, and prohibits these actions. There is no room for one's (i.e. your) personal opinions when the Qur'aan and Sunnah contradict what you say. Many find it rude because they already vehemently hate us. yet it seems from my experience, that the majority of people are still respectable and are not offended. Usually, it's the stuck up who have a moan. For such people I say, let them find it rude, I couldn't care less. Allah is greater than they.

108EEDMAH

what about the incident with the women at the till? how am i suppose to give her the money if i cant look up, or a teacher who is a women, i cant look at her while shes teaching?
Allah doesnt say its haram, but he tells us to lower r gaze, so we should but if u have a reason then i think you can, just like when your picking a wife, your aloud to look at her, before u marry her.
its all about ur intentions. im not saying go out and look at girls. im saying when there is no reason to look then you should lower ur gaze. this is what the shak told me and it makes sense.

fatma_said

:salam2:

Sorry to interrupt this thread
but subhanallah how can some people place their opinions before allah and his messenger.

This matter is CLEAR just like the matter of riba is CLEAR

on BOTH cases i have seen people saying my sheik said this, and this scholar said that all the while ignoring what ALLAH and HIS MESSENGER have said.

the hadith clearly states its wrong to shake hands, so any argument about.. ' but i have to do it sometimes at work'' or ' i felt bad but im glad some sheik said this' or 'i dont want them to feel bad'' or ' the society is this' or 'my intention is that' is CLEARLY WRONG!

ALLAH SAYS
"It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path." [Qur’aan 33:36]

"But no, by the Lord, they can have no (real) Faith, until they make thee judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against Thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction." [Qur’aan 4:65]

"...And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam)) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is severe in punishment." [Qur’aan 59:7]

To show that not following the ruling of Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) when a dispute occurs is a sign of hypocrisy, Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) says:

"They say, We believe in Allah and in the apostle, and we obey; but even after that, some of them turn away; they are not (really) Believers. When they are summoned to Allah and His apostle, in order that He may judge between them, behold some of them decline (to come)....The answer of the Believers, when summoned to Allah and His Messenger, in order that He may judge between them, is no other than this: they say, "We hear and we obey"; it is such as these that will attain felicity." [Qur’aan 24:47-51]

allah knows best

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
I understand what you are saying. But sometimes in my own life i had to shake hands with women, and it made me feel like absolute poo for doing something which i perceived was wrong!

But if a scholar like Imam Ibn Hajr deduced from a hadeeth the permissibility....its just gives me such huge relief. Is that even a good thing?" i dont know.

And I dont know about Yusuf Al Qardawi, the Imam in my local mosque said he was a big time shaykh and he spent sometime with him and saw what a great man he is.

Allah knows best

Schoalrs are not SUPER HUMANS my dear brother.. they also make mistakes.. IF THEY DO NOT MAKE MISTAKES... they are not human beings.. THEY SHOULD BE CALLED AS ANGELS...

No matter who the scholar is, None can make some thing Halaal which is prohibited by ALLAH AZZAWAJAL neither they can make some thing Haraam which is made Halaal by ALLAH AZZAWAJAL

if you got to the market of FATWAs... there are enough of them and any one can pick up a fatwa as per his wish... (A BITTER TRUTH) This is not what Islam is...

When your heart says that this thing is wrong, then why should any one let the wordings of other people overcome the truth?????????????

Touching a women will surely I MEAN SURELY put a fitna inside your heart..

ALLAH AZZAWAJAL says in the Quran.. that DO NOT GO NEAR THE ZINA..

EVEN GOING NEAR is prohibited...

You see... thousands of FATWAS are there to convince people... but we must use our brain too... ISLAM is some thing which EVERY CAN understand..

Even after this... if we purposely deny ALLAH AZZAWAJAL's words...

I let you think what would happen..

FEE AMANILLAH

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Most of us are trying to convince other people thinking that THE ISLAMIC LIFE STYLE MIGHT BRING OUT A PROBLEM..

Some sisters are removing Hijaab
Some brothers do shave their beard
and many more...

BE A MUSLIM BY YOUR OWN CHOICE..

BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU ARE..

HAVE A STRONG FAITH THAT YOU ENJOIN WHAT IS GOOD..

BE PROUD OF BEING A MUSLIM..

Why are we sacred of others??? and why do we have to dance according to a strange tune...??

I am sorry if this hurts any one...
BUT I DONT AGREE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT MEN CAN SHAKE HANDS WITH WOMEN

'coz I am a girl and I know that how UGLY is that when a non Mahram attempt to shake hand...
I HATE IT:SMILY335::SMILY335:

FEE AMANILLAH

108EEDMAH

u guys are making islam complicated just like um ahmad said. the hadith

It was narrated in a saheeh hadeeth that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I do not shake hands with women.” And ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The hand of the Messenger of Allaah never touched the hand of any [non-mahram] woman, and he used to accept their oath of allegiance in words only.”

no where does it say that the Prophet told us not to shake the hand of non mahram girl. it just states what he did. and as muslims its are goal to be like him, in every single way. so if i shake the hand of a non mahram girl, my intentions is that i dont want her to think that islam is rude, but that islam is the opposite of that.
im doing something wrong? my intentions are not so i can please her, i could care less but i dont want her to think that islam is something mean, which she might go tell others.

better yet i should tell her about y we dont shake hands, but thats only if i know her. u cant just say that.

u see the beauty in islam. he didnt tell us to not shake hands becz he knew of these situations that were talking about, but he did show us that we shouldnt, becz it could lead to other stuff

the part of the prophet shaking hands with muslim womens after their oath i dont believe.

also, the Prophet (pbuh) taught us to be respectful to ppl who respect you, if u dont shake the hand of a person, the person is going to think "who does he think he is, does he think im dirty" to them its disrespectful.

and the shaving the beard, not wearing the hijab does not compare to this. This is a sign of weak imann but shaking the hand isnt.

keeping in mind shaking the hand gets you nothing. but telling ppl about islam and how the Prophet didnt and thats why we shouldnt, will get u benefits.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

You should listen to the lecture '' Lower your Gaze'' By Shaykh Feiz then you would understand how pure your intentions might be but the Shaitaan knows to change those intentions.

You can ask Scholars what happens by shaking hands with women they have numerous cases of what happened.

''no where does it say that the Prophet told us not to shake the hand of non mahram girl'' Wow the Prophet Sallahu Alayhi Sallam didn't say me to offer Fajr Sunnah so shouldn't I do that???

Didn't know we can bend to non muslims if they find anything rude.
[yt]Uz9uH1sa8bA[/yt]