Lunar Eclipse North and South America and Europe Monday Night Tuesday Morning

abdul-aziz

in sha Allah
:salam2:

Watch lunar eclipse early Tuesday morning

By L. L. BRASIER
Free Press Staff Writer

Stay up late Monday night, or get up really early Tuesday and weather willing, you’ll be able to see the one and only full lunar eclipse of 2010.

The shadow of the earth is expected to pass between the sun and the moon beginning about 12:29 a.m. Tuesday, and will fully eclipse the moon in about 72 minutes. The entire eclipse should be completed by 4 a.m. for those watching in Michigan.

“What you’ll slowly start to see is a bite being taken out of the moon,” said Michael Narlock, the chief astronomer at the Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills. “It will be a shadow, usually reddish, creeping across the face of the moon until it is completely red. How red depends on the particles in the atmosphere.”

Lunar eclipses happen on average twice a year, and only when the moon is full. While there was a partial eclipse in June, the last full lunar eclipse was in February of 2008, and Michigan likely won’t see another of this magnitude until April 14, 2014.

An estimated 1.5 billion people should be able to see the full eclipse in North America and South America, and parts of Europe and Asia.

“The nice thing about eclipses is you don’t need special equipment, like binoculars or a telescope to enjoy them,” Narlock said. He suggested those hoping to film the eclipse use a tripod and then take very short exposed photographs, since the eclipse moves so slow. And unlike solar eclipses, lunar eclipses do not require protective eyewear.

“They can be very, very interesting. I like to imagine myself two thousand years ago, and seeing this happen, and had I not understood, what I would have wondered,” Narlock said.

Eerie eclipses have long intrigued, inspired and terrified human beings. The Vikings were convinced that a celestial wolf was consuming the moon, and made great noise, banging drums and weapons to scare the wolf away in time to let the moon re-emerge.

And historians note that Christopher Columbus, on his fourth voyage to the New World, and desperate and stranded in Jamaica, consulted his navigational tables and realized an eclipse was due Feb. 29, 1504. The Jamaican people had grown weary of feeding and caring for the Europeans and had stopped giving them food. Columbus warned that God was angry over their stinginess and would take away their moon. As the eclipse began, the panicked Jamaicans brought food to the hungry men.

Narlock, who has seen dozens of eclipses, plans to skip this one and stay in bed.

“I’ve seen a lot of these, and while they’re interesting and fun to watch, they occur generally on average two or more a year. I sort of treat this like the Detroit Lions, they’re always there next year.”

Read more: Watch lunar eclipse early Tuesday morning | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/201012...r-eclipse-early-Tuesday-morning#ixzz18adaoKFw

There are two types of eclipse Solar in daytime and Lunar in night time:

the prophet PBUH, prayed on these two occasions. الخسوف is the lunar eclipse and الكسوف is the solar(daytime) eclipse.

:wasalam:

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Thank you for posting this information brother! Although its not in a part of the world where I am able to view it I forwarded the information to my family living in Michigan so inshallah they can view it!

Wa salam

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

I was planning on trying to see it as well inshaAllaah... although it is a bit late at night. Here are the expected timings for anyone else interested:

Stages of the eclipse

There is nothing complicated about viewing this celestial spectacle. Unlike an eclipse of the sun, which necessitates special viewing precautions in order to avoid eye damage, an eclipse of the moon is perfectly safe to watch. All you'll need to watch are your eyes, but binoculars or a telescope will give a much nicer view.

The eclipse will actually begin when the moon enters the faint outer portion, or penumbra, of the Earth's shadow a little over an hour before it begins moving into the umbra. The penumbra, however, is all but invisible to the eye until the moon becomes deeply immersed in it. Sharp-eyed viewers may get their first glimpse of the penumbra as a faint smudge on the left part of the moon's disk at or around 6:15 UT (on Dec. 21) which corresponds to 1:15 a.m. Eastern Time or 10:15 p.m. Pacific Time (on Dec. 20).

The most noticeable part of this eclipse will come when the moon begins to enter the Earth's dark inner shadow (called the umbra). A small scallop of darkness will begin to appear on the moon's left edge at 6:33 UT (on Dec. 21) corresponding to 1:33 a.m. EST or 10:33 p.m. PST (on Dec. 20).

The moon is expected to take 3 hours and 28 minutes to pass completely through the umbra.

The total phase of the eclipse will last 72 minutes beginning at 7:41 UT (on Dec. 21), corresponding to 2:41 a.m. EST or 11:41 p.m. PST (on Dec. 20).

At the moment of mid-totality (8:17 UT/3:17 a.m. EST/12:17 a.m. PST), the moon will stand directly overhead from a point in the North Pacific Ocean about 800 miles (1,300 km) west of La Paz, Mexico.

The moon will pass entirely out of the Earth's umbra at 10:01 UT/5:01 a.m. EST/2:01 a.m. PST and the last evidence of the penumbra should vanish about 15 or 20 minutes later.

HosaamUddin

Eclipse

Salaam,

I also live in North America. Here in CT it will be showing at 2:47am. Insha'Allah, I will def be checking it out!

hassana elkoussi

As-salamu alaikum dear brothers and sisters,

Kindly be reminded that the Prophet pbuh used to perform a certain prayer on the occasion of solar or lunar eclipses. Please seize the opportunity to revive his sunnah and gain rewards.

THis is how that prayer should be performed:

Narrated ‘Aisha On the day of a solar eclipse, Allah’s Apostle stood up (to offer the eclipse prayer). He recited Takbir, recited a long recitation (of HolyVerses), bowed a long bowing, and then he raised h is head saying. “Allah hears him who sends his praises to Him.” Then he stayed standing, recited a long recitation again, but shorter than the former, bowed a long bowing, but shorter than the first, performed a long prostration and then performed the second Rak’a in the same way as he had done the first. By the time he had finished his prayer with Taslim, the solar eclipse had been over. Then he addressed the people referring to the solar and lunar eclipses saying, “These are two signsamongst the Signs of Allah, and they do not eclipse because of anyone’s death or life. So, if you see them, hasten for the Prayer.” Bukhari 004.054.425

How to perform salaat al kusoof
The way in which Salaat al-Kusoof is done is :

■to pray two Rak’ahs in which Qur’aan is recited aloud,
■In the first Rak’ah, one should recite al-Faatihah and a long soorah such as Soorat al-Baqarah or the equivalent, then do a long rukoo’, then raise one’s head and say, “Sami’a Allaahu liman hamidah, Rabbanaa wa laka’l-hamd (Allaah listens to the one who praises Him; our Lord to You be praise)”
■after standing upright, as in other prayers. Then one should then recite al-Faatihah and another long soorah, shorter than in the first recitation, equivalent in length to Soorat Aal ‘Imraan.
■Then one should do another long rukoo’ shorter than the first, and when raising one’s head, say, “Sami’a Allaahu liman hamidah, Rabbanaa wa laka’l-hamd hamdan katheeran tayyiban mubaarakan fih, mal’ al-samawaati wa mal’ al-ard wa mal’ ma shi’ta min shay’in ba’d (Allaah listens to the one who praises Him; our Lord to You be praise, much good and blessed praise, filling heaven and earth and whatever You will besides that).”
■Then he should do two lengthy sujoods, without making the sitting between them too long.
■Then one should pray the second rak’ah like the first, with two long rukoo’s and two long sujoods, as he did in the first rak’ah.
■Then he should recite the Tashahhud and say the salaam

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
asalamu alaikum.

I hope I get an answer soon, but since i already know it's going to happen (the eclipse) and I DON'T see it directly....can I pray the khusuf prayer without me seeing it?

please answer ASAP. it's 10.17 pm EST and the eclipse happens at 1.15AM EST here!

hassana elkoussi

asalamu alaikum.

I hope I get an answer on, but since already know it's going to happen (the eclipse) and I DON'T see it directly....can I pray the khusuf prayer without me seeing it directly?

please answer ASAP. it's 10.17 pm EST! the eclipse happens 1.15AM EST here!

AS-salamu alaikum sister,

Yes sis, you can pray as long as it's happening in your country. May Allah accept and reward you in sha Allah.

Salam :ma:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
I have NEVER seen one:( I am pretty exited for this one but its snowing BAD outside. I am still going to be awake to TRY to see the wonders of Allaah ta'ala :D