Making up missed prayers

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Jazak Allahu Khayr, brother. Do you know where I could pose my question online?

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi respected sister,

I know of several means that you can utilise :-

1) You can ask your question on Ask Huda on Huda Tv. The email address is ask(at)huda.tv (I hope I am not breaking TTI rules here) and then inform me or anyone else who watches the show. I will try to record that portion of the show and post a link on TTI.

2) Sh Assim Al Hakeem's classes on Sunday. But I guess you have already read about his opinion on this thread.

3) Ilmforall run by Sh Muhammad Ibn Abdullah Al Malliki Hafidullah. You can leave the question on his contact us page.

4) You can attend paltalk Q&A sessions conducted by Ulema of India/Pakistan by Sh Zubair Ali Zai Hafidullah, Sh Talib Ur Rehman Hafidullah etc etc. Also some students of knowledge frequent the rooms there. This may be a bit challenging given the time difference between US and India/Pakistan. Here are the details on timings. I am assuming that you can read Urdu.

5) In the Q&A sessions of lessons taught on 'chat islam'. (Pls google it) Usually there are plenty of classes scheduled for the weekend and it's easy to ask at the end of any one of them.

Hope this helps InshaAllah..

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Flashbak910

I'm currently a senior at my high school, we only have 4 minutes between each class to get to where we need to be. We have hallway passes that we can only use 3 times per day. I would have to find out a great place to pray and the bathroom wouldn't be the best place to go for. I plan on going to college, I'll have to find someone that could comfort me when and while I pray.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
@Brotherinislam7 - i think believer's castle workshop is given by Sheik Assim al hakeem. Probably not a good idea to ask him. and is the sunday classes by him still ongoing????

i am with the sheik in his opinion that there is no qadha prayer (which by my knowledge is praying a missed zohr or asr etc in someother time having intention of praying fard of zohr or asr (etc)... ) But i think i have come across a hadith which relates that on the day of resurrection if a person falls short in his obligatory prayers, then nawafil prayers will be looked into and could be compensated for the missed ones, in sha Allah.

i tried but cannot find it.. :(

wa salaam.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
@Brotherinislam7 - i think believer's castle workshop is given by Sheik Assim al hakeem. Probably not a good idea to ask him. and is the sunday classes by him still ongoing????

wa salaam.

:wasalam:

I am not sure if he has a break in his schedule regarding the Sunday online class. Perhaps we can ask sister Um Abdur rehman.

Also, it's not like I (or we) doubt the authenticity of Sh Assim's answer. Rather, since the sister has been practicing a certain act with regards to missed prayers for a long time, I thought it would be wise for me to suggest her to understand the backgrounds and evidence (daleel) backing both opinions in detail. Thereby, she can understand why scholars have reached to certain conclusion/rulings with respect to this issue.

Wasalaamalaykum

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahmathullahi wa barakatuhu.

with you on that brother. jazak Allahu khyir for breifing.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

My mother did not pray for several years when she was young, and when she heard from one of the shaykhs that it is obligatory to make up missed prayers, she regretted it and repented, and she promised Allaah that she would make up the prayers that she had missed so long as she lived. In fact she has fulfilled her promise and has made up for all the years during which she did not pray. But she says to us: “I have to keep on praying because I said when I made a promise to my Lord, ‘as long as I live’ and I am still alive.” She offers the obligatory prayers and not the naafil prayers, although she knows that she hads offered all the prayers that she missed. Is what she is doing correct? Is it regarded as a vow?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The majority of fuqaha’ are of the view that the one who does not pray for a while after he reaches puberty has to make up the prayers that he missed. If he does not know how many prayers he missed, then he should do what he thinks is most likely the number of prayers that he missed.

It should be noted that the prayers that she missed when she was young, before reaching puberty, do not have to be made up, because she was not accountable at that time.

Some scholars are of the view that whoever deliberately misses prayers does not have to make them up; all he has to do is repent and do good deeds in the future.

See the answers to questions no. 7969 and 72216.

Anyway, what is required of your mother is to seek forgiveness a great deal, repent and do naafil deeds in the hope that Allaah will accept her repentance. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And verily, I am indeed forgiving to him who repents, believes (in My Oneness, and associates none in worship with Me) and does righteous good deeds, and then remains constant in doing them (till his death)”

[Ta-Ha 20:82]

With regard to her saying that she made a promise to Allaah to make up the missed prayers for as long as she lives, this is a vow to make up the prayers that she missed, and she has done that and fulfilled that vow. So she does not have to continue making up prayers that she has in fact made up, because a prayer can only be made up once.

As for her saying “as long as I am still alive”, it seems that what is meant by this expression is that she will continue to fulfil her vow as long as she is still alive, and she will never stop making up prayers because of sickness, being busy or any other reason that may distract her from praying.

If she wants to carry on praying, this is a good deed that was encouraged by the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he said: “Prayer is the best thing prescribed, so whoever can offer a great deal of it let him do so” (narrated by al-Tabaraani in Saheeh al-Jaami’ (3870)) – so long as that is done with the intention of offering naafil prayers, not with the intention of making up missed prayers.

And Allaah knows best.

From Islam QA

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
I have heard and read that we will be asked if we completed all the Fard prayers. If there will be any difficiency then other prayers like Sunnah prayers and Nafil prayers will be added togather with the Fard prayers. If the total numbers is still not equal to the total number of Fard prayers one should have performed, then that person will be asked about it. If the total is equal or greater than the needed amount, then that person will be considered successful in passing the prayer requirement.

But I think that if a person makes up the prayers too then that is fine/valid also. But the key is still the Tauba and Istagfaar. If Allah (SWT) forgives that person then what else is needed. When a person performs Hajj that wipes out all the sins including the sins of not praying in the past. When a person does Hijrah for the sake of Islam or Allah, then Allah (SWT) wipes out all the sins and I believe including not praying in the past sins are also wiped out.

If I am wrong then please correct me.

I think the best practice would be to ask for forgiveness continuously and if possible try to makeup the prayers too.
:wasalam:

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
The hadeeth of the Prophet (PBUH) makes it clear that there is no expiation for missed prayer but prayer,

dear akhee, i saw the hadith quoted above, it says that prophet pbuh ordered us to pray if someone missed a prayer because sleep or forgetfulness..

but how can we implement this for a person who missed the prayer out of neglectfulness. for example if a person didnt pray for five years after puberty, can we quote this hadith and ask him to pray???

i dont know arabic akhee, so i am not sure how to interpret the hadith, teach me in sha Allah. may Allah reward you.

assalaamu alaykkum.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
^

jazak Allahu khyir for the reply.

akhee, i understood the hadeeth. actually, its very clear from the other hadeeth that if a person fell short of his fard prayers, then his nawafil prayers will be looked at to compensate, so there is absolutely no doubt that one has to do as much nawafil salah as possible.

but praying with the intention of qadha, (i dont know how can we differentiate between the two), but if there is any difference, it can be prayed only if prophet pbuh has allowed or recommended us right?

like, i am asking, if a person now prays 4 rakat of prayer (continuously, like fard..) that he missed out in 2005, is in it like a bid'aah? just concerned..

wa jazak Allahu khyir.

assalaamu alaykkum.

Um Abdur Rahman

Sclava lui Allaah
As'salamu aaleykom

sheikh assim's answer for our brother
Assalamu alaikum,

It is not permissible to make up for the mixed prayers with the regular prayers of everyday. The prayers that were missed for not legitmate reason can’t be made up. You have to offer voluntary prayers and ask Allah’s forgiveness.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahmathullahi wa barakatuhu.
may Allah reward you sister.
that is the opinion i am already convinced with.

but bro ayman1 has asked a good question, like, is there any evidence that qadha prayer is not accepted. thats where i am little confused. firstly it has to be either ordered or recommended by prophet pbuh to get in to the discussion of it being accepted/not accepted right?

anyways.. love learning it from ayman and all other members.

jazak Allahu khyir for your efforts.

remember me in your du'a.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
dear akhee,

u explained about the hadeeth well. jazak Allahu khyir for that.

but i am still confused as to how it is allowed for a person to pray the fard, that he missed years ago 'out of neglectfulness', now?? bro i am a layman.. so have patience.. cos the reason you said, still didnt clarify whether prophet has permitted that type of prayer...

may Allah reward you.

wa salaam.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
^. masha Allah akhee.. the zakat example is beautiful. kept me thinking during my work hours too.

but if you allow me, my question was never about compensation. perhaps its clear by the hadith itself that there is no compensation except by prayers.

my question, rather, is the way to compensate. as other hadith states (the reference of which i cannot find), the voulntary prayers will compensate for the fard that fell short, why cannot stop with we pray the vouluntary prayer (and ofcourse ask forgiveness)?

my question, is not about one who missed few fard, but is about a person who didnt pray for five years or so and then takes the deen sincere. If he has to pray all the missed out prayers how will he pray? like should he pray the missed out maghrib at the time of maghrib or at what time? in any case whats the evidence?

wouldnt it be much easier for him if he prays voluntary prayer hoping that it will compensate for the fard in the hereafter??(especially because we have a proof)

if you were to analyse prophet's pbuh hadith talking about 'sleep and forgetfulness', (i guess) it says as soon as one remember... so if you extend that for intentional neglect, one can then ask is the time of taking deen sincere be then considered as time of remembrance and hence pray it at once (which ofcourse is not possible if he has missed the prayers for years)? as illogical as it may seem, it still is a point right?

*once again. i am not saying we need not compensate; we have to in sha Allah.*

Um Abdur Rahman

Sclava lui Allaah
ilyas- am asking, if a person now prays 4 rakat of prayer (continuously, like fard..) that he missed out in 2005, is in it like a bid'aah? just concerned..

Sh.Assim answer
Assalamu alaikum,

This is an innovation and it is not recommended.

second questtion:
evidences

The Prophet salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam said: whoever oversleeps a prayer or forget it, he must pray it as soon as he remembers it as there is no expiation for that except doing this.

From this hadeeth, scholars say that only when the reason is sleeping or forgetting or any other reason that is legitimate, one must compensate that by praying it on the spot when he remembers or wakes up. We know that sleeping and forgetting is not a sin, yet the Prophet salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam said that its expiation would be to pray it as soon as someone remembers.

That is why scholars say that when a person skips a prayer intentionally until the time is over, the prayer wouldn’t be accepted even if he makes up for it. Allah tells us that the times of prayers are fixed “When you have finished As-Salât (the congregational prayer), remember Allâh standing, sitting down, and (lying down) on your sides, but when you are free from danger, perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as- Salât). Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours.”

It is like someone who doesn’t stand on the Day of Arafat with the Muslims on the 9th and comes two days later and wants to stand on his own due to delay in his flight. Would this be accepted from him?

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
wallahi brother, your saying that opinion of the scholars is not the proof is what encourages me to learn from you/argue with you. i am in complete agreement on that with you. Though i completely agree they are far more knowledgeable than me and they deserve respect.

the proof i mentioned is not the opinion of the scholars bro. rather it is another hadeeth which says in the hereafter the voluntary prayer will be considered for the person who fell short of his fard prayer. another member has quoted that hadeeth in this thread. but sadly neither me nor him posted the reference. i just couldnt find it. in sha Allah i will try to get the reference.

and bro as far your sayint that one method that a brother has worked out, though i am extremely happy for him that Allah enabled him to do that, it is something i would rather be skeptical. and you asking me to come up with new ideas, wallahi i am afraid it would amount to bid'ah. not accusing you of anything. but rather it is the hadeeth of rasool Allah pbuh that every innovation will be rejected, the scary area.

but jazak Allahu khyir akhee. and i will try to find the reference that i am basing my point insha Allah. remember me in your dua'. wa salaam.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

If a person deliberately abandoned prayer then repented, should he make up for the prayers missed?

The scholars have differed regarding a person who deliberately abandoned prayer then repented to Allah and returned to him, as to whether it is incumbent upon him to make up the prayers he missed or not. In this matter, they are divided into two opinions. The more authoritative opinion in my view is that which is preferred by Shaikhul Islam Ibn Taimiyyah, may Allah have mercy on him, which is that if a person deliberately abandoned a prayer until the stated time for it had expired, making up for it would not benefit him. This is because an act of worship which is scheduled for a certain time must be performed at that stated time. So, just as it would not be valid before the time, so is it not valid after the time, because the limits of Allah must be observed. This prayer was made incumbent upon us by the Lawgiver, from such and such a time until such and such a time and that is its status. Just as a prayer would not be valid in a location which has not been defined as a location of prayer, so prayer at a time which has not been defined as a time for prayer is not valid.

However, it is incumbent upon one who has abandoned prayer to repent much and seek forgiveness much and to perform many righteous deeds, and in this way, we hope that Allah the Most high would pardon him and forgive him for the prayers which he abandoned. And Allah is the Granter of Success

Fatawa Arkan Ul Islam
Muhammed bin Salih Al-'Uthaimeen. Rahimaullah

uddim004

I've read that we are going to be judged on our intentions. so if our intentions are good and allah knows best then inshallah we will be forgiven. there is a difference of opinion. however if we stay on the true path and our intentions are correct then alhamdullila, allah will forgive us. we only live to serve allah and carry out what he has commanded. if we do this with true intentions of pleasing allah azawajal then we should be fine.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
That is most interesting. Please let me know when you find the credentials of this hadeeth. Sorry I didn't notice the post where it was mentioned.

This is another widely misunderstood hadeeth. Bid`a, meaning novelty, is any change to the religion. When you mandate something that is not mandated by God or His Messenger, or forbid something that they did not forbid, then you have changed the religion. Bid`a is not any innovation, because building domes on top of mosques is an innovation, furnishing mosque floors with carpets is an innovation, using a rosary (Sibha) for tasbeeh is an innovation, etc.

True, but that does not prove that making up for it when not done in time is disallowed. If one follows that logic, one may not make up for missed days of Ramadhaan, because it too is timed, or Zakah for that matter, but we know that we can make up for them, right? So, that logic is flawed.

Nope, it reads deliberately

msmoorad

mommys boy

I was viewing the online lecture of "The Believer's Castle" and the sheikh mentioned that one cannot ever make up missed prayers unless if they were missed because of sleep or forgetfulness.

I actually missed a lot of prayers when I was young and not practicing, but I've been trying to make these up with each regular prayer. Tell me, is this wrong? Can no prayer at all be done as qadha?

as salaamu alaikum

i follow the Hanafi madhab and according to the sheikh/aalim at my musjid, we will not be forgiven for the qadha salaah that we missed from the time we became baaligh.
the imam & i have worked out that i need to perform approx 8 yrs of qadha.
that is, from the time i became baaligh upto the time when i started performing the 5 daily salaah regularly.
what i do is, apart from the farhd & sunnat e muakada rakaats, i perform the qadha for the missed fardh of that respective salaah, or try to do it all at a convenient time- i prefer after maghrib salaah.
its just the ffg additional rakaats daily:
2 fard of fajr
4 farh of zuhr
4 fardh of asr
3 fardh of maghrib
4 fardh of esha & 3 witr of esha

alhamdulillah, i have completed 2 yrs & have around 6 more to go.

jazakallah

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
ilyas- am asking, if a person now prays 4 rakat of prayer (continuously, like fard..) that he missed out in 2005, is in it like a bid'aah? just concerned..

Sh.Assim answer
Assalamu alaikum,

This is an innovation and it is not recommended.

second questtion:
evidences

The Prophet salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam said: whoever oversleeps a prayer or forget it, he must pray it as soon as he remembers it as there is no expiation for that except doing this.

From this hadeeth, scholars say that only when the reason is sleeping or forgetting or any other reason that is legitimate, one must compensate that by praying it on the spot when he remembers or wakes up. We know that sleeping and forgetting is not a sin, yet the Prophet salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam said that its expiation would be to pray it as soon as someone remembers.

That is why scholars say that when a person skips a prayer intentionally until the time is over, the prayer wouldn’t be accepted even if he makes up for it. Allah tells us that the times of prayers are fixed “When you have finished As-Salât (the congregational prayer), remember Allâh standing, sitting down, and (lying down) on your sides, but when you are free from danger, perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as- Salât). Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours.”

It is like someone who doesn’t stand on the Day of Arafat with the Muslims on the 9th and comes two days later and wants to stand on his own due to delay in his flight. Would this be accepted from him?

jazak Allahu khyir once again ukhthi.

may Allah reward the sheikh. he is the one who solved my fiqh issues,bi idhnillah, regarding praying at sea,