Facebook

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

I don't have a Fb account and I get raised eyebrows when I say this to my friends. Sounds as if its a necessity in life damn Fb is worth $ 50 Bn.

aisha16

Hmm...I don't think it matters really if a Jew created Facebook..just a social networking website. I don't like that kind of thinking....

BUT... Facebook isn't all that...just a place to chat with friends and "others" like the website tag says...which does lead to fitna...I think everyone knows that..some people call it FASAD-book or FITNA-book. I think it's good to use for connecting with fam and freinds but not to non-mahrams...that's when it gets awkward...and just plain wrong...

aisha16

Salam.

Facebook is just like a knife. You can use it for Halal, cut an apple or you can use it for haram, hurt someone intentionally. It's not whether something like this is Halal or Haram, but rather is it used for haram or Halal.

thts that.

Salam

perfect answer.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
going off tangent to the topic,

has anyone used this website madina.com???? i found it yesterday, seems some scholars are there too.. mostly like fb.. but lot of lectures and stuff.. i think it is nice tool to connect with family and friends.

but dont know the true story about it...

care to enlighten me?? *smiles*

wa salaam.

muslimshabs

:salam2:
thank you aapa and other brothers and sisters who helped me a lot in ma confusion. actually i got a msg that it is not allowed to use facebook coz lot of money the owners of facebook give in charity to israel and we know wat the israel is doing ... that was ma major concern...we all know there are two sides of every coin, and it is upto us wat we do and how we want to use it... the major concern was that the using of facebook, means indirectly we are helping the enemies of islam...????its not about fbk only but about the internet...
some links below:

http://www.fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/media/internet/news.php?q=1262024557
:salam2:

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam alaikum

Let me just tell you; The CIA. The CIA are organised with the new world order, in this case they wish to dominate the world by making facebook an addictive and social thing. This is what you think facebook is made for, well actually they(CIA) have the right to take your info AND photos without asking, if you haven't read the terms of services:

"By posting Member Content to any part of the Web site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to Facebook and irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, perform, display, reformat, translate, excerpt and distribute such information and content" Terms of services.

P.S: The CIA is tracked down to being linked to: DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency; tracks down info). DARPA then being linked to > The IAO (Information Awareness Office) To gather as much information as possible from people

As confusing as it sounds, the point is, don't put your details in: they use us for details

twas19

Assalam alaykum

You cannot say facebook is always haram sometimes its beneficial as well i am a student of finance and fb i meat a person who helped me to get free video lectures which help me pass my tests.Well there are bad things happening too but you will never like to become a part of them so that is fine.Wow facebook shutting down on march 15 dont think its a bad idea i dont have to glued on the computer screen most of my weekend :)

walaykum salam

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
salam alaikum

I hope you are okay, by the grace of Allah azza wa jal

I dont use FB, coz many haram things happen there, as I dont want to be a part of Haram things, so I quited it.

I can't define it as Haram, but i think as a Muslim should keep themselves away from it!
it is my personal opinion, and many shaykhs have said the same.

I think FB is a trick of the kuffar, to make people busy, especially FB is very famous among Muslims, as we Muslims are strict about our religious matters, so they use it and gradually they get involved in haram things
while other people, who r not Muslims/ dont follow religion they are involved in adult chatting websites or dating, but as we Muslims are concern about these things and religious value, so this is trick of shaytan to involve us in such things, BUT gradually!

like if today I think, it is bad to date with opposite sex, what is the prob in chatting!
next day one may think, what is the prob in making net frnds?! then what is the prob in sharing pics.....and gradually things happen

I'm not saying that it cant be done normally in msngr system, but FB is a big portal!!

it is my opinion, that what I want to say!
may be it will not make any sense to someother, it is natural

Allah knows the best

wa alaikum salam

Salamalaykum

Alhomdolillah brother nice thinking rest Allah know best.

Allah hafiz.

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

I know I shouldnt even share my opinion since I dont know hadith or sharia ruling or anything concerning the rules but I just had to say that as a new Muslim (less than 2 years) I have a fb account but mine is strictly to keep in contact with my children who all live in the USA while I am living in Morocco at the current time. Facebook makes it easy for me to find out pretty much instantly from the moment I sign on it what everyone is doing all at once! I dont need to wait until the time they wake up and get online to talk to me and I dont have to worry about being online at a certain time or wasting money using phones to call long distance internationally. For me facebook saves alot of money and time worrying.

I however do not condone posting pictures on it if you are a Muslim because we shouldnt ever post our pictures online anyway. Im not here to judge anyone but that is my opinion. I have found many Muslim friends on facebook and there are some very good links to Muslim pages on facebook as well that can be very informative.

I look at facebook just the same as any other website on the internet. If used in a positive way it can be a tool for learning and a very good source for information. If used in the wrong way just like anything else it turns into something evil and unwanted. But if you think about it even TTI can be used in a bad way and turn into something unwanted so as I said it can happen to any site on the internet. It depends on the user. I remember sometime back on TTI where male members were contacting female members through PMs and until it was finally stopped by the admin it could have potentially become the same way facebook is used by some in the wrong way. I only point that out to show that it is possible for ANY website to turn bad and especially if it goes unmonitored. Of course facebook is not as closely monitored as TTI but it is not a Muslim website so that is the reason. It is up to US as individual Muslims to monitor ourselves and follow the guidelines of Islam as responsible Muslims. If there are teens on the internet they should be monitored by their parents anyway.

And I am sorry but what does being created by a Jew have anything to do with anything??? I know that many Muslims have a very bad view of Jews because of what is going on in Isreal and Gaza but in Quran Jews are mentioned frequently and it is even halal for a Muslim man to MARRY a Jew so what difference does it make that we as Muslims are using a website which has been created by a Jew? Im confused. :SMILY309:

This post is my opinion and may Allah forgive me if I have said anything wrong.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

In the US we are saved by the internet. We have the voice of sanity among pod casters ( I have probably upset an English teacher). We have access to clear thought and discussion. That which the mainstream would not allow as it is so Zionist.

And as usual you are correct...it is a matter of how we are able to guard our worship under all circumstances.

Personal note: FB is the same as texting to me; abbreviated attempts to communicate. It is not the meat of conversation and often too superficial for the taste of this woman.

I use facebook, I find it easier to stay in touch with my college friends and university mates. I believe it's all to do with intentions if you use facebook in the intent that you want to display yourself as catalogue for brothers to see and disturb you then your succeeding because for some facebook works like a dating agency. However for a minority (including me) I just use it to see how my college friends and university mates are doing and I find it easier to talk to everyone instead of calling them up individually. Also its nice to discuss Islamic topics on facebook because on sites like TTI not all muslim sisters are registered to it, but majority are on facebook and I feel like even sisters who are not confident in their knowledge of Islam get to ask personal questions and we discuss it, if it goes further den we can do some dawah work. I mean this is my opinion and how I feel, and I do believe facebook can be used positively just make your account private and make sure you dont have a profile picture or photo album because there may be a risk of anyone opening the page in front of non-mahrams!