im a sister so can i give zaka to my parents? how do we calculate zaka in our income?

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
:salam2:

a man came to my husband at work and they were talking about zaka.

my husband told him we pay zaka on the money we have saved after it has turned on year or something like that.

the man said, no, you must pay zaka of $2.50 for every $100 you earn daily before you spend it or save it. if you earn $200 a day, you must pay $5 zaka on it.

and also he said regarding jewellery if you dont wear your jewellery for the year, you pay zaka on it too.

my husband felt bad that he did not know this. we asked a sheikh and a sheikh said no, you just have to pay zaka on the money you saved in a year. in relation to the jewellery if they are for investment purpose for making money yes you pay zaka on it after its been kept for one year but not if you keep it and its your's doesnt matter if you dont wear it.

now we are very confused. which is right???

plus, am i able to give some zaka to my parents? not my husbands parents but mine. they do get paid from the government but most of it is going towards bills and they sometimes dont have enough. this stress my dad. as we are on a budget too, there is little i can do. but i always buy things for them when im doing my grocery shopping. like fruit or rice. its all im able to do. but can i give them zaka money which ever of the above zaka is permissable, can i give it to my parents?

DanyalSAC

Wa alaikum salaam

It has always been my understanding that zakat is paid on your accumulated wealth, NOT on your income. I would go by what the shaykh said, every other shaykh I've heard discuss the matter have said the same thing.

As far as your parents, I know you can certainly give them sadaqa but if its zakat or not I can't say, perhaps one of our more knowledgeable brothers or sisters can answer.

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
The Sheikh is right. The only thing whose Zakah must be given out immediately is crop harvest, because God says in the holy Quran,

"And give its due the day of its harvest" (6:141)

Zakah is supposed to be collected and pooled so that its administrators can subsequently divide it up among the eight categories mentioned in 9:60. Zakah is due on the excess of your wealth after you take care of all your expenses, one of which is supporting your parents. So, why couldn't you give them throughout the year? I don't understand.

okay, im a bit slow,

now when you say

Zakah is due on the excess of your wealth after you take care of all your expenses, one of which is supporting your parents. So, why couldn't you give them throughout the year?

and when you say wealth after we take all expenses, so that doesnt include what my husband earns at work? we have our own buisness, we pay rent and pay wages to our employees etc. wealth refers to assest belongings property etc, right? well how do i pay zakat on this? is it we see its value and pay based on its value / how much its worth? what about how much my husband makes at work? how do we pay zakat on his total earnings in a week for example? and how do i minus our expenses from wealth im so sorry really but im confused and not understanding it all. im really slow, please be patient with me. please, Allah will reward you inshallah.
i owe my sister some money and my husband owes his sister some money too, we borrowed it to help us in the buisness and general spendings. but alhumdulilah we do not need to borrow money anymore, we just want to pay it back. its is about $10,000 we owe all up.

about my parents, when you asked why i couldnt give them throughout the year, thats because we ourself dont have enough money, but i always buy them things to help out. i'd love to help them out throughout the year if i was financially capable. but me and my sister take turns and always look after them. we dont let them at all stay without money. sometimes if we have extra i would give it to mum because she will use it when needed.
thats not always though.

when sister DanyalSAC said zakat is paid on your accumulated wealth, NOT on your income, what does this mean exactly? please give me an example

is my example right

wealth is jewels and other precious possessions, you get them valued and pay zaka on that

is wealth a form of money? if so, any type of money like income, savings, gift monies, money box coins etc? and then when we make our purchases / expenses, whatever is left we pay zaka on?

purchases and expenses include what? toys for kids? lol. no im serious. i want to know it all so i can understand it. i dont want to be accounted for it on the day of judgement and i have no excuse to tell Allah 'oh i dont know how its caluculated or i dont understand the rules'

im slow but really want to know how to this right.

thanks everyone for helping. please understand this is very important for yous to help me understand and learn, and Allah will reward you for it and for everytime i pay zakat right way. Please be patient with me, i cant help my lack of understanding and confusions.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

Sister,
Zakaah becomes obligatory once your accumulated wealth reaches the threshold level. That includes your cash or bank balance.

please follow the links:

Do parents have any rights to the wealth of a married daughter?
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/12214/zakaah to wife's parents

Giving Zakaah to relatives:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/20278

Zakaah on Land and other properties:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10823/zakaah

Zakaah on land,cars and gold:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/93706/zakaah

Zakaah for one who is in debts:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/22426/zakaah

Categories on which Zakaah may be spent:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/46209/zakaah

Ruling on Zakaah on saved money:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/93251/what is zakaah
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/41805

Hope I could help. Wassalamu A'laikum.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise

As far as I know that Zakah is due on your savings which include value of gold you own (including gold jewelry), because gold is also money, as a matter of fact it is better than paper money as its value goes up with time while paper money (dollars in the bank) value goes down due to inflation.

So Zakah is due on your savings including gold.

If you owe someone money then pay that first. Because if someone has a loan and that person dies without paying it. It is not good for him or for the person who loaned him the money. Therfore if you have enough money to pay that person then pay it. After that whatever is left Zakah is applied on that. If you are not paying the loan then whatever savings you have Zakah will be applied on that.

The best person to receive the Zakah money is the nearest relative. But dependents are not included in it. In your case your parents can receive the Zakah money. But be careful and be honest because the intension should not be to keep the money in the family.

:wasalam:

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED

As far as I know that Zakah is due on your savings which include value of gold you own (including gold jewelry), because gold is also money, as a matter of fact it is better than paper money as its value goes up with time while paper money (dollars in the bank) value goes down due to inflation.

So Zakah is due on your savings including gold.

If you owe someone money then pay that first. Because if someone has a loan and that person dies without paying it. It is not good for him or for the person who loaned him the money. Therfore if you have enough money to pay that person then pay it. After that whatever is left Zakah is applied on that. If you are not paying the loan then whatever savings you have Zakah will be applied on that.

The best person to receive the Zakah money is the nearest relative. But dependents are not included in it. In your case your parents can receive the Zakah money. But be careful and be honest because the intension should not be to keep the money in the family.

:wasalam:

thank you heaps that was good info i understand clearly.

i like the links brother MohammedMaksudul posted, i will look at them better tonight inshallah.

i will let you know of what i understood so you guys inshallah will be happy that you helped me and made things clear. if im wrong, you can correct me also inshallah.

inshallah you'll hear from me later.

may Allah gift you for your help.

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
ayman1

Thank you. You made it so clear that it all making sense now.

please be patient with me, you seem to understand me and i seem to learn and understand from you so please continue helping me please.

A few questions:

Everything you said like how we calculate our wealth, eg: If you were to sell the business tomorrow, how much would you get? This we only do once a year right? So I have to work out my year date first. So when I have a date example and only example 1st of August every year, so 1st of August every year I do the example you gave me of: say you were to sell the business tomorrow, how much would you get? So I do this every year 1st of August right? The date is just an example.

Plus, we do keep an accounting book for the business, lots of receipts too. Below I use an example and example only of my understanding and how I will pay my zakat.

(calculations are from 1st August 2010 till 1st August 2011) example date only.

STEP 1

eg: on 1st of August of 2011, we calculate what our business is worth if we sold it plus calculate our total income for the year, plus add the wealth (jewels, precious possessions) that were not purchased from the income during the year so we don’t double up, if a money box was filled with coins and notes as saved from the income during the year, we do not calculate this because we already did include it when calculating the income earned and recorded during the year, how we spent it or spread it or banked it doesn’t matter right?

Anyway, we add these calculations and total them eg: it was $100,000 that year.

Now when i asked what purchases and expenses include?

You said the scholars have agreed that basic necessities such as house you live in, the car you drive, the good that you eat, etc. then you said ‘are not included in the nisaab (basis) so are these house you live in car your drive etc, are these part of expenses or not?

so we only calculate the important things we use in and need in life not play for things that entertain us. eg: if we purchase a new tv or computer we do not minus this from the total wealth calculated right.

If they are, the next step is:

STEP 2

Calculate what we spent on the car during the year eg: its service, registration, insurance, tyres etc. plus, approx what we eat, personal / family expenses we spent during the year, tax paid, bills we paid, wage given to our employees, rent paid for the buisness etc

When we calculate these expenses we minus it from step one of $100,000 which we calculated income received. Say expenses were $80,000 that’s only example, then $20,000 we pay the zakat of that amount. 2.5% of $20,000 is $500, so that what we pay $500

Questions:

Now, its really hard to calculate personal or family expenses or record every dollar we spend during the year or remember the bills house or business or personal bills, its really hard, so if these expenses are part of the calculation of step 2, then do we just use approximate figures?

Please give me a list of expense’s that we minus from total earnings and wealth so I know what to use in my calculations.

I will use any additional income received other than from the business and this adds to step 1.

When you said [I'm sure you keep accounting books for your business in order to estimate taxes. Use the same books to figure out the networth of the business. That is you basis for Zakah]

networth of the business is the money my husband made during the year right? Plus use that figure to calculate approx what the business is worth if we sold it. And add them as I did in step 1 but use both figures, the income earned plus the value of the business and everything else in step one.

now when we said:

i said: when you asked why i couldn't give them throughout the year, that's because we ourselves don't have enough money,

you said: Say you paid Zakah of $600 the last time. That means you have money! You could have given your parents $50 a month each month last year. See?

I understand this, but in order for me to get that zakah figure or find it out ($600), i needed to finish the year and sit down and calculate right, so how could I give them $50 each month if I did not know the figure? That im confused. Do you mean I can do my calculations as above monthly and help my parents like that??? That would be sooooooooooooo much easy rather then sit there once a year trying to remember and collect figures and receipts. Should my calculations be done monthly? If so, I have no further examples or questions as long as all the above is correct

Please correct my examples and calculations like you corrected and helped me in your last post. That was so beautiful and clear and I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you. After this when I finish and you correct me, I will feels so free and weight lifted off my shoulders and for every zakat I pay because I learnt now, I ask Allah to reward you and everyone who helped me on my thread. Thank you for all.

Do we calculate the wealth items whether we use them during the year or not we still count them? Or do they have to be eg: I have jewelry and I did not wear during the year but they are not for investment only because I wanted to keep them clean and safe and as memory and pass or I don’t go out much so I didn’t wear it, so do I pay zakat on that if I didn’t wear them during the year?

asalaf salih

azzakat

Azzakat is 2 en 1/2% from your own savings up to 800 euro" s. We normaly don' t give sadaqah to our parents. but we support them the hall year.
Azzakah is made to be given to poor people giving them the chance to get out of their poverty.