whats the punishment on alcohole and smoking from the quran???

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
in the Qur'an, it tells us clearly about the punishment for murder, adultery, slander etc. I have not come pass anything that states the clear punishment (deleted smoking) (i mean punishment on -) drinking alcohol only.

can someone please tell me the punishment a person can face that drinks alcohol?

a friend of my brother, he drinks alcohol and goes to the mosque, my father and brother have spoken to him about the haram of it. he says he cant help it he cant stop. i tired to learn about its punishment so he can be scared and fear Allah but i cant find anything. so i now became curious.

i know its haram, oh yes, off course its haram. but whats the punishment

Men of Allah

Ya Allah,Ya Rahim.
:salam2:

Dear sister, we would like to thank you for the very interesting question you posted and the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

In his answer to the question, the late Sheikh Sayyed Ad-Darsh, former Chairman of the UK Shari`ah Council, states:

The reason why there are strong actions against things like murder and adultery is because these are crimes against society. But you cannot expect Islam to be a religion that carries a big stick for everything.

There has to be an area for the moral and spiritual upbringing of the person in these circumstances, to let him or her become familiar with things which are prohibited, and to develop moral perception.

Smoking in the way we know it was not a common practice at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It came into fore in the last two centuries or so.

So it is a new development for the Muslim community and it took the Muslim scholars great deal of time and effort to consider the harmful effects of smoking, until they came to the conclusion that it is Haram (prohibited). Once again, abstention from smoking is left to the moral sense of the person.

As for drinking alcohol, there is a specific Hadd for that. In the early days of Islam, people who had stopped drinking prohibited others and those who committed the offence were lashed 40 times. They use to flail the drinker with anything that came to hand a piece of cloth, a shoe, a stick just to let the person feel that he or she had indulged in something prohibited.

Later on when there was a complaint that people were returning to the old ways of drinking, Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) consulted the Muslims around, and `Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "I think that drinking will make a person lose his mind and consequently start abusing others, uttering false accusations against them.

So I think he deserves the same punishment for a person who falsely accuses other persons (Qadhif) that is 80 lashes." Henceforth, that became the standard of punishment for drinkers to stop them from falling into that."

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Smoking is not haram. There is a mixture of opinions.

Why would you want to punish someone who drinks or smokes. Why is everyone hellbent on punishment?

Men of Allah

Ya Allah,Ya Rahim.
Assalaam walaikum,

Why would you want to punish someone who drinks or smokes. Why is everyone hellbent on punishment?

What I meant on the thread above is the one who drink Alcohol (Please read the opening post) ..

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarkatuhu dear sister

I do not know which is the punishment for smoking in Islaam, but I know that drinking of alcohol is consider one of the mayor sins in islaam,and one who comit it deserve punishment by Sharaih Law.

Allahs law is strict and it is just. The reason why one is being punished for driking alcohol is that it is mayor sin, because it brings man to do bad things, like zina,murder, rape.Alcohol is intoxicating, and contains this substance that makes people lose their minds, and is taking them away from Allah. It says in the hadeeth, “Every intoxicant is khamr, and every khamr is haraam (forbidden).” There is no any dount that alcohol is harmfull to body and mind and it is bringing a loot of bad to man as individual and the whole society.

No truth Muslim should drink alcohol, as it is one of the mayor sins,and every Muslim should work on dawah to advice other Muslims about prohibition of alcohol and the reason why it is forbidden.

Dear sister, ask your brother to advice his friend, that he should stay away from alcohol and that if he wish that Allah be pleased with his deeds, that he should not even get close to alcohol.

May Allah guide him. Ameen summa ameen

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansaab, and Al-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful”

[al-Maa’idah 5:90]

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (2295) and Saheeh Muslim (86) it is narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one who commits zina is a believer at the moment when he is committing zina, and no one who drinks wine is a believer at the moment when he is drinking it, and no thief is a believer at the moment when he is stealing, and no robber is a believer at the moment when he is robbing and the people are looking on.” This means that such a person is not a believer in the sense of having complete faith, rather his faith is greatly lacking because of this evil action.

It is also narrated in al-Bukhaari (5147) and Muslim (3736) from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever drinks wine in this world and does not repent from that, he will be deprived of it in the Hereafter.”

In Sunan Abi Dawood (3189) it is narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed alcohol, the one who drinks it, the one who pours it, the one who sells it, the one who buys it, the one who squeezes it (squeezes the grapes, etc), the one for whom it is squeezed, the one who carries it and the one to whom it is carried.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 2/700)

In Sunan al-Nasaa’i (5570) it is narrated that Ibn al-Daylami said to ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, “O ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, did you hear the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say anything about wine?” He said, “Yes, I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘If any man from among my ummah drinks wine, Allaah will not accept his prayers for forty days.’” This was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilat al-Saheehah (709). What this means is that he will not be rewarded for them, but he is still obliged to pray; in fact he is obliged to do all the prayers. If he forsakes prayer during this time, he will be committing one of the worst of major sins, one which some of the scholars said amounts to kufr, Allaah forbid.

There are very many ahaadeeth and reports which state that alcohol is emphatically forbidden and that it is the mother of all evils; whoever falls into this sin, it will lead him into other evil actions. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.

With regard to the punishment of the drinker in this world, the punishment is flogging, according to the consensus of the fuqaha’, because of the report narrated by Muslim (3281) from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) flogged the one who had drunk wine with palm branches stripped of their leaves and with shoes.

But there is some difference of opinion as to the number of lashes. The majority of scholars are of the view that it is eighty lashes for a free man and forty for others.

They quoted as evidence the hadeeth of Anas quoted above, in which it says that a man who had drunk wine was brought to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he had him flogged forty times with two palm branches that had been stripped of their leaves. Abu Bakr also did likewise (during his caliphate). When ‘Umar was the caliph, he consulted the people and ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said, “The minimum punishment is eighty,” so that is what ‘Umar commanded.

The Sahaabah agreed with ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) and did not differ. The Council of Senior Scholars is agreed that the punishment for one who drinks wine is the hadd punishment, which is eighty lashes.

Some of the scholars – such as Ibn Quddamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) and Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] in al-Ikhtiyaaraat – think that giving more than forty lashes is left to the discretion of the Muslim leader. So if he thinks that there is a need to give more than forty lashes, as happened at the time of ‘Umar, then he may make it eighty. And Allaah knows best.”

(See Tawdeeh al-Ahkaam, 5/330)

With regard to the wine-drinker’s prayer and fasting, undoubtedly he is obliged to perform the prayers on time and to fast in Ramadaan. If he neglects any of his prayers or fasts, then he is committing a major sin which is worse than the sin of drinking alcohol. If he drinks wine during the day in Ramadaan then he is committing two major sins: the first is breaking the fast during the day in Ramadaan and the second is drinking alcohol. He should note that if a Muslim falls into sin and is unable to repent because his faith is weak that does not justify him persisting in sin or failing to do acts of worship and being negligent concerning them. Rather he should do whatever he can of acts of worship and strive to give up the major sins that he is committing. We ask Allaah to help us to avoid sins, both major and minor, for He is the All-Hearing, Ever Near.

And Allaah knows best.

Source:Islam Q&A

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalaam walaikum,

:salam2:

Dear sister alcohol is the mayor sin and no truth Muslim should drink alcohol. I have posted under below the fatwa, and more closer explination. Islaam is just dear sister,and punishment is prescribe so that people may take a lesson for what they did,and that other people may learn from that too,and if at least if they are not fear Allah and His punishment, that they at least fear of punishment on this world,and try to stay away from mayor sins, Inshallah.

In Islaam there is no place for saying our own opinion about something, but as Muslims we should speak only from Quraan and Sunnah.

May Allah guide us all.

:wasalam:

haakym

love
Assalaam walaikum,

Asalaamu 'alaykum,

Smoking is not haram? That's a very bold statement with no evidence...

Would you care to share any sources insha'Allah I've always heard quite the opposite.

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
salam to all,

im not sure if smoking is or isnt haram, but its not important to me because i dont smoke thought half the world does.

but my main question was about the alcohol. i should not have put smoking in there and im so sorry everyone, where its haram or not, i really meant on alcohol.

my point of my thread is my brothers friend, he does not listen at all, he is the one that is going to be punished not us. so your probably thinking 'why worry' his mum is really close to my mum and it hurts to see her crying and heart broken from her sons actions. they are pious family and he is really making things hard.

its none my business yeah, but our families have been friends for years and since i was a young kid. so we are pretty close and it really does hurt to see the mum like that.

now im trying to just get that punishment that specific punishment on the alcohol that Allah will punish someone for drinking it, and present it to him because he fears punishments from Allah and says thats why he goes to the mosque. lool. anyway, i want to present the punishment of his actions to him and let him deal with it.

im making like a few pages of typing and notes on this topic so he can read it. he loves reading. im also adding the punishment of those who upset their parents and are not faithful to them and do not take care of them. im also including those who do not take care of themself and why its important. and... Allah gave him a healthy and full function body, why waste it and take advantage of it... and, dont you want kids and a wife, why make zina and stuff up your future and punishment of that.

in my notes im still trying to understand the alcohol bit. but above is amazing post and details i'd love to include. and i really want to highlight the punishment for everything im making notes on.

i do this for Allahs sakes, and because i love his mother so much and he needs to start thinking right.

its funny he always says 'i love Allah so much, im scared of him thats why i go to the mosque and pray and i pray 5 times a day so who cares if im drinking' lool. his so silly. subhan allah how people think.

thats why i found that video i posted in my other thread

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75096

i emailed it to my brother to send it to him. so that will help back my notes.

im doing the notes from my heart, he has alot of friends that does what he does, inshallah i hope he can pass them around and help his friends too.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

That is the truth. Please find me a couple of fatawa that explicitly state that smoking is haraam in the same words.
I have found equal number of fatawas that say it is not haraam.

It is stupid. It is not good for your health. It is not an intoxicant.

islamdonlyway

Assalaam walaikum,

That is the truth. Please find me a couple of fatawa that explicitly state that smoking is haraam in the same words.
I have found equal number of fatawas that say it is not haraam.

It is stupid. It is not good for your health. It is not an intoxicant.

inshallah this is prove that smokeing is forbidden...

Ruling on smoking
Is smoking cigarettes Haraam?

Praise be to Allah and peace and blessings be on His Prophet SAWS.

Smoking is one of the things which has caused a lot of problems and harm these days and it has spread like wild fire. Before we discuss this topic in detail, we should know that Allaah the Almighty has divided things in the world into two types, good or permissible (al-tayyibaat, al-halaal) and evil or prohibited (al-khabaa'ith, al-haraam), and there is no third type. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning) in surat al-A'raaf (7:157):

"And He makes good things halaal for them and bad things haraam."

Considering this fact, smoking can either be permissible and good or prohibited and evil.

Thus, we present some of its characteristics and let the person asking the question see himself in which type lies smoking.

There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for health. It is one of the major causes of lung cancer and other diseases. It is also one of the major causes of death. Since, it is known that the Islamic law prohibits everything that is harmful for a human being. Allah said (interpretation of meaning):
"Do not kill yourself. Allah is Merciful unto you." (Surat al-Nisaa' 4:29)

In addition, His Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"There is no harm or causing of harm (in Islaam)." (Arabic "laa darar wa laa diraar")

He SAWS (peace be upon him) also said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about ... his body as to what he engaged it in."

Smoking also goes against the saying of the Prophet SAWS:

"Your body has a right on you."

There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for the health of others who inhale the polluted breath of the smoker. Medical research has proven the harmful effects of smoking mothers on their children. The offensive smell caused by smoking is a source of pain to the worshippers of Allah among humans and angels. The angels are offended and suffer from the same things that the human beings suffer from. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):
"Those who cause harm to believing men and women without any reason do a great sin." (Surat al-Ahzaab, 33:58)

The money that is spent on cigarettes is used on buying a harmful thing and is therefore an extravagance. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):
"… and do not be extravagant wasters. Those who are extravagant are kinsmen of Satan." (Surat al-Israa' 17:26-27)

Extravagance (in Islam) means spending on something haraam.

Spending money on cigarettes is a waste of resources as well. The Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about ..... what he owned as to how he spent it."

Considering all that has been presented, it can be clearly seen that smoking is an evil among many others. It is not permissible to indulge in it, or buy and sell it, or even to offer it to others. It is incumbent on a person who is addicted to it that he must make all efforts and get whatever necessary treatment to stop it. If the unbelievers have understood the harm caused by smoking and made laws regarding it, the Muslims should be even more eager to stop it and treat those who are addicted to it.

We ask Allah the Almighty to cure everyone indulging in this evil and help him in giving it up. Allah is the Best Guide to the Right Path.

source :
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

islamdonlyway

assalamualikum regarding the punishment of drinking alcohol

It is narrated in al-Bukhaari (5147) and Muslim (3736) from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever drinks wine in this world and does not repent from that, he will be deprived of it in the Hereafter.”

In Sunan Abi Dawood (3189) it is narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed alcohol, the one who drinks it, the one who pours it, the one who sells it, the one who buys it, the one who squeezes it (squeezes the grapes, etc), the one for whom it is squeezed, the one who carries it and the one to whom it is carried.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 2/700)

In Sunan al-Nasaa’i (5570) it is narrated that Ibn al-Daylami said to ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, “O ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, did you hear the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say anything about wine?” He said, “Yes, I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘If any man from among my ummah drinks wine, Allaah will not accept his prayers for forty days.’” This was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilat al-Saheehah (709). What this means is that he will not be rewarded for them, but he is still obliged to pray; in fact he is obliged to do all the prayers. If he forsakes prayer during this time, he will be committing one of the worst of major sins, one which some of the scholars said amounts to kufr, Allaah forbid.

With regard to the punishment of the drinker in this world, the punishment is flogging, according to the consensus of the fuqaha’, because of the report narrated by Muslim (3281) from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) flogged the one who had drunk wine with palm branches stripped of their leaves and with shoes.

But there is some difference of opinion as to the number of lashes. The majority of scholars are of the view that it is eighty lashes for a free man and forty for others.

They quoted as evidence the hadeeth of Anas quoted above, in which it says that a man who had drunk wine was brought to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he had him flogged forty times with two palm branches that had been stripped of their leaves. Abu Bakr also did likewise (during his caliphate). When ‘Umar was the caliph, he consulted the people and ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said, “The minimum punishment is eighty,” so that is what ‘Umar commanded.

The Sahaabah agreed with ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) and did not differ. The Council of Senior Scholars is agreed that the punishment for one who drinks wine is the hadd punishment, which is eighty lashes.

its a major sin aswell.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

That is not the universal view of scholars. Saudi scholars differ in opinion from Asian scholars. I was surprised to learn this.

All, I am suggesting is this is so trivial and personal..leave this to the individual and their relationship with Allah.

Why would you punish someone for smoking? Who put you in charge...individual responsibility and accountability is private.

Excess in anything is bad. Some people smoke, others go shopping, some bet, some eat. They are called vices. We encourage others to stop but we can not punish them.

haakym

love
Assalaam walaikum,

That is not the universal view of scholars. Saudi scholars differ in opinion from Asian scholars. I was surprised to learn this.

Asalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmutullahi wa barakatahu,

Sorry for not sticking on topic everyone.

I'm surprised to learn this too. But what scholars said this (that smoking is not haraam)?

I really can't begin to believe someone would say it is not haraam.. maybe it would be beneficial to review the definitions of haraam and halal?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I did several google searches using phrases such as " fatawas on smoking : haraam and fatawas smoking non haraam.

There are various sites including forums such as this that were cited.
Some argue that there is no direct mention in the Quraan thus there can be fatawa. Some argue that we have knowledge and should be able to apply it thus making smoking haraam.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
You should also scare him of the dangers of Alcohol use in this life!

Liver disease, alcoholism, and there are several negative effects that Alcohol has on the brain. No it wont happen in small doses, it slowly kills people over time! Surely Allah (subhan wa ta'ala) knows best in this case.

islamdonlyway

Assalaam walaikum,

All, I am suggesting is this is so trivial and personal..leave this to the individual and their relationship with Allah.

Why would you punish someone for smoking? Who put you in charge...individual responsibility and accountability is private.

Excess in anything is bad. Some people smoke, others go shopping, some bet, some eat. They are called vices. We encourage others to stop but we can not punish them.

wel majority of scholers say its forbidden as your damageing your health and allah tells us in the quran to keep our health good...there are enough evidence why smoeking is forbidden. and sorry dont agree, i have given evidence on why smoeking is forbidden and i dont think you have read it.

and before smokeing was considered makru becouse they didnt know it damges health, and now since science and technology has improved we can see that smeokeing damages health.eaither you avoide smokeing wich is forbidden by majority scholers, or go against it and smoke and damage your health and go against allahs statements.

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
assalamualikum regarding the punishment of drinking alcohol

It is narrated in al-Bukhaari (5147) and Muslim (3736) from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever drinks wine in this world and does not repent from that, he will be deprived of it in the Hereafter.”

its a major sin aswell.

thanks for this info. its really really good mashallah may allah reward you. i will be using all this in my notes. its great. thanks heaps

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
You should also scare him of the dangers of Alcohol use in this life!

Liver disease, alcoholism, and there are several negative effects that Alcohol has on the brain. No it wont happen in small doses, it slowly kills people over time! Surely Allah (subhan wa ta'ala) knows best in this case.

making this note book, i realised there is so much about alcohol and its affects like you said, Liver disease, brain and how it kills people over time, affects to family members, religion affects and so much we can talk about this topic and its influence for hours and you still will not finish. subhan allah.

the reason why i didnt realise its a big topic is because alhumdulilah we were not raised to drink and we did not drink and therefore it was not in our interest to learn about it. though its affects are common sense. but there is so much involved.

subah allah.