last two rakats

uk brother

salam to all, a quick qestion regarding salah.

in 4 rakatfard salah...the first 2 rakats you read surah fatiha then read any surah.last two rakats you just read fatiha.

in 4rakat SUNNAH salah... the first two rakats you read surah fatiha and any surah after them.WHAT DO YOU READ IN THE LAST TWO RAKATS? DO YOU JUST READ FATIHA?

BegumRehana

Asalamwalaikum..
Regarding to the 4 rakah sunnah, the last two rakah you read surah fatiha with another surah, it's only in the fardh prayer that you read surah fatiha on the last rakah's.

revert2007

Love Fishing
As salamu 'alaikum
I guess you are asking about the sunnah before you pray dhur.all sunnah prayers you do 2 by 2.which means you pray 2 rakaah like you pray subh then give salam then do again another 2 rakaat then salam.

(2 rakaat with 2 different salam and not 2 rakat,2rakat with one salam as you do in dhur.)

I hope that helps in sha Allah

Allah knows the best
As salamu 'alaikum

BegumRehana

What is the evidence for that? There is no evidence, to the best of my humble knowledge, that in the last two bowings of a Sunna prayer one must recite verses after Al-Faatiha.

Asalamwalkaikum..I might be confused but this is what i meant for the sunnah prayer..in the last two rakah you recite another surah after surah Fatiha.

uk brother

m

im even more confused.
in 4 rakat sunnat salah.
i.e. before fard of isha and zuhur

in my 3rd and 4th rakat do i have to read a surah after fatiha?
if yes.. can i read the same surahs as the first two rakat?
:tti_sister:

Kakorot

No you don't read another surah after fatiha in the 3rd and 4th raka'ahs, whether it's fardh or sunnah prayers. Actually reading another surah after fatiha in the 1st and 2nd raka'ahs isn't even obligatory, as surah fatiha is sufficient but you get more thawaab if you do.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
No you don't read another surah after fatiha in the 3rd and 4th raka'ahs, whether it's fardh or sunnah prayers. Actually reading another surah after fatiha in the 1st and 2nd raka'ahs isn't even obligatory, as surah fatiha is sufficient but you get more thawaab if you do.

It is permissible to recite a soorah after Soorah al-Faatihah in the third and fourth rak`ah. This was the view of Imaam ash-Shaafi`ee and Imaam Ahmad. It was based on the hadeeth of Aboo Sa`eed al Khudri (radiAllaahu `anhu) that the Prophet :saw2: used to recite in the first two rak’ahs of Zuhr prayer approximately thirty verses in each rak’ah, and in the last two rak’ahs approximately fifteen verses, or he said: half of that. In the first two rak’ahs of ‘Asr he used to recite in each rak’ah approximately fifteen verses, and in the last two rak’ahs approximately half of that. [Muslim, 452]

Thus, the scholars mention that it is sunnah to sometimes recite a soorah (after faatihah) in the last two raka`ah and sometimes not to recite a soorah (after faatihah) in the last two raka`ah. And this is how some of the scholars re-concile between the above hadeeth and this hadeeth: Abu Qataadah said that the Prophet :saw2: used to recite the Opening of the Book and a soorah in the first two rak’ahs of Zuhr and ‘Asr, and he would let us hear a verse sometimes, and in the last two rak’ahs he would recite al-Faatihah. [Muslim, 451]

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah

Ya Allah!!!

I've been praying my fardh as Al-fatiha, another surah on second, and then no surahs for the last two!!

Does this mean all my prayers were not accepted????

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Ya Allah!!!

I've been praying my fardh as Al-fatiha, another surah on second, and then no surahs for the last two!!

Does this mean all my prayers were not accepted????

If you did recite faatihah in the first raka`ah as well, then its fine inshaa'Allaah

revert2007

Love Fishing
JazakAllah for reply

So if I did

Al-fatiha, al-falaq
Al-fatiha, al-ikhlas
Al-fatiha
Al-fatiha
is right for fardh? Please reassure this
JazakAllah khair

As salamu'alaikum

Lets keep things simple instead of giving the opinion of schools even though it is fine but I guess it is not fine for new reverts. Let just talk about sunnah.

For fardh prayers all you need is Al-fatihah.

When you have mastered any short surah,you only recite short surah for the first and second rakaat only.(I am talking about sunnah and thats it.plz dont confuse others with what the 4 schools said about it).

Now about sunnah of 4 rakaat for example before dhur. Yes i know very well it is permissible to pray 4 rakaat just like how you pray dhur but again it is more encouraged to pray 2 by 2 from what I have heard from Sheikh Assim.(4 rakaat with 2 different tasleem)

Again I am repeating, when you pray 2 rakaat sunnah(2 tasleem) do it like how you pray the subh- recite al-fatihah and short surah(if you know any short surah.it is sunnah).

If you are doing 4 rakaat sunnah (with one tasleem) for example before dhur,then just do like how you pray dhur,first 2 rakaat = Al-fatihah+short surah and final 2 rakaat=Al-fatihah only.

The key point here is AL-FATIHAH must be recited in all rakaat.

Short surah to be recited in 1st and 2nd rakaat and it is not obligatory but only sunnah but when you know how to recite short surah it is recommended to recite it in sha Allah.

Obligatory >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sunnah
1st -Al-fatihah >>>>>>>>>Short surah example-Al-Khawtar
2nd -Al-Fatihah >>>>>>>>Short surah example-Al-Ikhlas
3rd -Al-Fatihah >>>>>>>>>no surah to be recited
4th -Al-Fatihah >>>>>>>>>>no surah to be recited

I hope this help new reverts in sha Allah.

Allah knows the best

As salamu 'alaikum

P.S (stop confusing others by giving too much details.they are just babies who are learning to crawl and plz keep that in mind in sha Allah.)

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
The opinion of Ash-Shaafi`i and Ibn Hanbal was not that you must recite verses after Al-Faatiha in the last two rak`aat, but that you may do so. So, even if you follow their school of thought, you still have the option not to recite verses after Al-Faatiha in the last two rak`aat.

Yes the above is correct, I only posted that to tell people that its "not" wrong to do it, thats all.

Apart from that, what you said: "So if I did

Al-fatiha, al-falaq
Al-fatiha, al-ikhlas
Al-fatiha
Al-fatiha
is right for fardh?"

Then all of that is correct and nothing to worry about inshaa'Allaah. If you do not know Soorah al-Falaq and Soorah al-ikhlaas, then even soorah al-faatihah is suficient inshaa'Allaah.