Monopolizing Salafiyyah

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Shaykh Saalih ibn Fowzaan al-Fowzaan

Question: There is a group from amongst the students and youth who have formed a faction, monopolized salafiyyah, claimed that their brothers are innovators (made tabdee' of them) and fanatically adhere to their opinions. So what is Salafiyyah?

Response: Salafiyyah [i.e. the Salafi] is the one who is upon the methodology of the salaf. Allah, the Exalted, says:

{And the first to embrace Islam of the Muhajirun and the Ansar and also those who followed them exactly (in Faith)} [at-Taubah (9): 100]​

And He, the Exalted, also says:

{And [there is a share for] those who came after them, saying, "Our Lord, forgive us and our brothers who preceded us in faith..."} [al-Hashr (59): 10]​

Thus Salafiyyah is following the salaf from the Companions (Sahabah), the Successors (Tabi'een), their students (Atbaa' at-Tabi'een), and the virtuous generations [1]; this is Salafiyyah. It is not permissible for anyone to monopolize it. Each and every individual that follows the methodology of the Salaf is Salafi. Salafiyyah is not specific to any group or individual, rather it is for anyone who truly embodies it.

Also, I encourage the youth and students of knowledge to be above this name calling – “he's Salafi”, “he's Jaami”[2], “he's Ikhwani” – I do not deem this [to be befitting], because these things have started to alienate the Muslims and their youth and cause fitnah. I encourage sticking to the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger and the Methodology of as-Salaf as-Saleh and that we be brothers who love each other for Allah's sake.

Footnotes:
[1] The 'virtuous generations' (ar. Al-quroon al-mufaddalah) is a reference to the hadith of Abdullah b. Mas'ood who narrated that the Prophet - صلى الله عليه وسلم - said, "The best people are my generation, then those who follow them, then those who follow them." Collected by Bukhari.

[2] A reference to Shaykh Muhammad Aman al-Jaami (rahimahullah), who was vocal in his call to the sunnah and refuting bid'ah

http://www.madeenah.com/article.cfm?id=1346