Muslim Beard ?'s

g0lden

Assalam alaykom brothers and sisters,

I need some advice about the beard. I have been un-employed for quite some time now. I have been turning in applications and feel maybe I am not getting any job offers cause of my beard. It is quite short and I look scruffy. Not a clean looking beard at all. I know the Sunnah says one should not cut the beard, but What am I to do? I really need a job bad, and my wife is now bugging me to cut my scruffy beard. I fear if I dont cut my beard I will never find a job. I wish I knew of more Muslim owners willing to hire me and relize my beard is part of the religion.
Anyway please let me know what you recommend.

Thanks
Dawud

saifkhan

abd-Allah
salam alaikum

it is Allah who feeds us and our rizk has already been set, when our taqdeer was being writing.
have patience, make dua
think 1000times before cutting your beard.
and no way, please dont.......

I'll remember in my dua, insha Allah
may Allah ease your problems

JazakAllah khair
wassalam

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum: Br.

Having a beard is Sunnah,no doubt. But it is more related to physical aspect of Sunnah. I think one must concentrate also on Sunnah that raises spiritual level and lifts up Taqwa. Once a Muslim acquires proximity to Allah,undoubtedly our Lord will never quit him/her unblessed. I remember Allah says in Surah Talaq ''After every difficulty there is ease". Further Allah says in Quran in the same Surah '' We will provide you your sustenance from sources you never could imagine". I have not given exact translation of the Ayats.

May Allah turn circumstances in your favor.

Regards.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
Assalam Alaikum: Br.

Having a beard is Sunnah,no doubt. But it is more related to physical aspect of Sunnah. I think one must concentrate also on Sunnah that raises spiritual level and lifts up Taqwa. Once a Muslim acquires proximity to Allah,undoubtedly our Lord will never quit him/her unblessed. I remember Allah says in Surah Talaq ''After every difficulty there is ease". Further Allah says in Quran in the same Surah '' We will provide you your sustenance from sources you never could imagine". I have not given exact translation of the Ayats.

May Allah turn circumstances in your favor.

Regards.

Then when they are about to fulfil their term appointed, either take them back in a good manner or part with them in a good manner. And take for witness two just persons from among you (Muslims). And establish the witness for Allah. That will be an admonition given to him who believes in Allah
and the Last Day. And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things

Al-Quran-65:2,3

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

It can be anything unless they state they don't accept you for having beard. So I say its Shaytaan playing some tricks with you so just have patience and trust in Allaah.

Just for a thought even after you cut your beard if you don't get a job what would you conclude then.

arzafar

hmm.. well the problem here is that you need an income NOT a job and definitely not your beard!

I am also jobless for over a year now. However, during this time i studied a lot of advertising, marketing and personal finance books and now im self employed doing freelance work online. Currently im trying to work out an online market to create my own product and start a business.

You should read this book called Cashflow Quadrant by robert kiasoki.The crux of the book is that there are 4 distinct ways to earn money.

1) employed - you get paid for your time. As long as you are employed you earn money. However, you are always dependent upon your employer.
eg. any 9 to 5 job.
2) self-employed - you get paid for your time. However, in this case you choose your rates, commission, duration etc. eg, freelance writer, salesman, consultants, lawyer, retailer and other service provider. Once again time is the limiting factor.
3) businessman - you have a product line. you hire (1) and (2) to do the work for you and you pay them for their time while they work all day to earn you money! eg. any corporation, Google inc, British Petroleum etc. however there is risk involved in doing business. successful business is about eliminate risks.
4) Investor - you invest money in other businesses, people and assets. You have businesses, people and assets making money for you! eg, banks, insurance, stocks, real estate etc. there is also fore trading in which you invest in the economies of the various countries! Once again there is plenty of risk involved with being an investor but by minimizing risks you can earn an exponential amount of money with money!

off course there is an overlap among the 4 categories but you will see that the wealthiest people belong to 3 and 4 and never to 1 and 2. Furthermore, you do not need any formal education to become a successful investor or businessman but you do need some form of formal education to get high paying job.

those who work in (1) and (2) chase security (bank balance, savings). they spend all their life chasing security because they fear taking risks, they fear losing. anybody who fears losing can never win. Furthermore, (1) and (2) get paid for their time. if for some reason (illness, death) they can get the hours in, the income (salary) stops!
On the other hand, (3) and (4) chase financial freedom and really there is no freedom other than financial freedom. They seek to develop a cashcow that will pay them night and day even when they sleep. However, to get there (3) and (4) are willing to work hard (more than any employee) and also take on the associated risks.

and that is it! there is no conspiracy against the poor (well maybe some rich people may have caused poverty o others). Now i dont know your situation but the reason why im writing all this is because most people who get formal education forget the bigger picture. We are drilled and trained to be employed! No school, college or university in the world teaches you how to do business or how to invest! This is why duffers often boss the position holders.

i think you should consider starting your own business if you have the finances or you could become self-employed if you have more time than money. Take some time out to reflect on your past and enlist all the skills, expertise and experience you have. This could range from giving tutoring math to fixing electronics. See if their is market for your skill, get suitable certifications and begin selling yourself!

The most important skill you can acquire is selling (marketing and advertising included). In sales, it is often said "nothing happens until something is sold" - Business and investors dont profit, employees and self employed dont get their salary. If you can sell, you will never, ever be short of money. Therefore, take a long look into marketing and advertising before jumping into a business venture.

Note:
1) i know advertising and sales sounds unethical and for a while even i thought so but it really isnt. If you are providing a good product and service, you should not be ashamed in persuading people to buy it. In fact, people will appreciate and trust you if you tell them exactly what your product will do AND what it will not do. That is a brilliant advertising tactic.

2) off course at the end of the day you should do something that you like or have an interest in. some people like medicine and so they stay employed/self-employed for life. However, the above post is about making money. I just wanted to show you other ways of making money because i feel that most people (middle class and lower) equate job with money. I hope that after reading the above people will change their mindset.

3) if you are all excited and i hope you are then be cautious. Business and investment is not easy especially in the beginning. It requires more hard work than any job! additionally there is always some risk involved. It is up to you how you look at it. For me, it means that most people wont cut it in the field of business because
a) they are lazy
b) they fear losing
this also means that the 5-10% who do keep working at their business will reap all the financial rewards. The financial reward from a business and that from a job are incomparable especially as the years go by.

4) Make something you can sell instead of selling something you can make. The first step to a successful business is finding a profitable market. Find a market, create a relevant product and than advertise it to your market. That's business 101.

g0lden

Thanks for the replies brothers and sisters.
I have thought about building and selling computers at a great price. I'm skilled with computers so I thought maybe this would be a great route to take while going to school. I just need to see how much out of pocket this would cost me.

I really want to keep my beard, and I don't like the idea of cutting it just so I can take a job. That sounds kind of ridiculous to me.
Only Allah knows whats best. please pray for me.

Thanks
Dawud

muharram23

Staff member
Salamu alaykum

Having a beard is obligation. It is obedience to Allah and His messenger. Cutting it is disobedience to Allah an His messenger. I we disobey Allah who is the one giving us provisions than how we expect we will get provisions or I your case, the job?

Plus, they never said anything about ur beard, so why listening to whispers of shaytaan.

Should a sister remove her hijaab because she believes she can't get job?
Why is
It that brothers are always quick in shaving their beard while when a sister asks about removing hijaab then there millions os fatwaas placed to ahow it's haram?

No worries brother u are obeying Allah and His messenger so whatever Allah gave u of provisions will comes like they came until now.

Wassalam

arzafar

Thanks for the replies brothers and sisters.
I have thought about building and selling computers at a great price. I'm skilled with computers so I thought maybe this would be a great route to take while going to school. I just need to see how much out of pocket this would cost me.

I really want to keep my beard, and I don't like the idea of cutting it just so I can take a job. That sounds kind of ridiculous to me.
Only Allah knows whats best. please pray for me.

Thanks
Dawud

that's a good idea but is there a market for unbranded/custom pc's in your area. Perhaps you could build custom pc's on client's recommendations. But first you must find out if there are buyers for these things. Then and only then build on your idea.

but really US is such a huge market. 300 mil+ consumers with $$$ in their pockets. Surely you can come up with a market that matches your interest. see what's already selling and follow the trend.

Are you at school and looking for part time work? PM me if you want to brainstorm ideas. There are low costs options available but it all depends if you can match your skill/experience with the market.

DanyalSAC

If you're in the United States - and it appears you are - I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. I know some companies that have face to face customer contact (ie bank tellers, store clerks etc) can and do place restrictions on what their employees wear, for the most part if you state that your beard is a religious observation there's not much they can do.

However I am a bit concerned with this part:

It is quite short and I look scruffy. Not a clean looking beard at all.

I think the Sunnah is clear (if someone can confirm/deny this part for me?) that the beard is to be kept clean and presentable. Maybe if you tidied it up a bit?

Wa alaikum salaam
Daniel

bari

:salam2:
A muslim should look presentable and his beard should not look untidy. I have attended a course offered by sk. Yasir Qadhi. Amazing class. You can trim to a presentable style and length. Allah knows the best.

g0lden

If you're in the United States - and it appears you are - I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. I know some companies that have face to face customer contact (ie bank tellers, store clerks etc) can and do place restrictions on what their employees wear, for the most part if you state that your beard is a religious observation there's not much they can do.

However I am a bit concerned with this part:

I think the Sunnah is clear (if someone can confirm/deny this part for me?) that the beard is to be kept clean and presentable. Maybe if you tidied it up a bit?

Wa alaikum salaam
Daniel

I shampoo/condition my beard and comb it so it is clean, but it does not come in evenly. One might look at me and think I just look a little dirty and I just chose not to shave for an interview. I went on an interview today and I did not cut it. I don't think I should have too.
On the other hand I applied at Discount Tire Co. and each location made it clear I would have to be clean shaved. If I told the manager it was for my religion, he might just throw my app in the trash.

that's a good idea but is there a market for unbranded/custom pc's in your area. Perhaps you could build custom pc's on client's recommendations. But first you must find out if there are buyers for these things. Then and only then build on your idea.

but really US is such a huge market. 300 mil+ consumers with $$$ in their pockets. Surely you can come up with a market that matches your interest. see what's already selling and follow the trend.

Are you at school and looking for part time work? PM me if you want to brainstorm ideas. There are low costs options available but it all depends if you can match your skill/experience with the market.

Yes I am going back to school so I can further my education and hope to create a better life for my wife and I, and Insha'Allah my kids someday. Things have not been very good to anyone in this dunya as of late....

Dawud

fada_all

salam alikum wa rahmatu allah taala wa barakatuh,

may Allah ease things for you akhi ,and you overcome all your obstacles soon insha Allah .. just Bear in mind that Allah sobhanahu wa taala is with you whenever you are ..so don't forget to make dou'aa each prayer and nafila and especially the dou'aa of Istikharah especially at night when people are slepping and you keep parying and making du''aa to allah ( fi tolot al akhir min al layl)..and everything will go to the best with Allah's will ..
insha Allah i will make dou'aa for you in may prayer.
may Allah sobhanahu wa taala guide you to the right path and all muslims ammennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

g0lden

Brothers and sisters,

Alhamdulillah! I got a job at Lowe's Home Improvement. Sounds pretty decent, and they are willing to work with a school schedule! I get 10% discount on items from store and 10% over store cost on special order items. It works out in my favor I guess. I love DIY home improvement type stuff.

They didn't say a single thing about my beard which was the best thing!
I rubbed some olive oil in, and combed it nice and neat. Tried my best to look good LOL :)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Alhamdulillah brother! Allah is the best of providers!

I see you're in Houston - it's a great place for muslims alhamdulillah. I was able to find work there as well as volunteer in a hospital with hijab on when I was there last year and no one said anything. I worked with direct customer contact and still no one said anything about my hijab, so it was great. Alhamdulillah!

g0lden

I see you're in Houston - it's a great place for muslims alhamdulillah. I was able to find work there as well as volunteer in a hospital with hijab on when I was there last year and no one said anything. I worked with direct customer contact and still no one said anything about my hijab, so it was great. Alhamdulillah!

That is very good to hear. My wife is an RN and she was working at Memorial Herman. Although she chose not to wear the hijab I would see other sisters wearing it when I would go pick her up.
You were only in Houston for a year? Are you a travel nurse?

DanyalSAC

Many of the shayuk who come to my masjid here in Sacramento to deliver khutbahs or give lectures come from Huston.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
That is very good to hear. My wife is an RN and she was working at Memorial Herman. Although she chose not to wear the hijab I would see other sisters wearing it when I would go pick her up.
You were only in Houston for a year? Are you a travel nurse?

Um.. no.. I'm not a nurse at all, let alone a travel nurse, SubhanAllah. It's quite complicated, but I just travelled around a lot.