Prayer without wudu...

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all my brothers and sisters at TTI are well in both health and Iman!

This morning my husband and I were listening to a show in Arabic on the radio. My husband suddenly turned to me telling me to cup my hands toward heaven as we do during dua and listen to the commentator on the radio. I couldnt understand the commentator since I dont speak Arabic but I knew he was making dua and I heard another person on the radio and my husband saying "Ameen" occasionally as the commentator spoke. I just sat there with my hands cupped not knowing what was being said! When the commentator finished I saw my husband wipe his face with both hands and kiss his fingertips when they reached his mouth then he said "Ameen" so I did the same.

Afterwards I asked my husband if what we just did is allowed according to Islam since neither of us had wudu after sleeping. My husband wasnt sure if it was ok once I pointed out to him that we both needed wudu in order to pray. He thought I should ask someone more knowledgable to be sure.

Im pretty sure one of my brothers or sisters here at TTI will know the answer to this question! I always turn to you when I am in doubt about something and you always answer with great knowledge........may Allah reward you!

wa salam

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

Wudu is a requirement for salah - what you did was not salah, you were just making dua.

I will wait for someone more knowledgeble on this issue for more details though.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Islam Is Ez.

:bismillah:

Dear Sister,
You can make du'a with any language you feel comfortable using,
after solah(pray) and at anytime.

No Wudu require for making du'a.

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!

Take Care!
~Wassalam :)

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

It is preferred to have wudhu when making du’a. If not also no problem Inshaa'Allah.

Abu Musa reported, “When the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa salaam had finished from the battle of Hunayn he sent Abu ‘Amir to lead an army to Atwas, and he sent me with him. Abu ‘Amir was struck in his knee by an arrow which a man from Jusham had shot, and it lodged in his knee. I removed it, and water oozed out of it. He said, ‘O son of my brother, convey my greetings to the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa salaam, and request him to ask Allah’s forgiveness for me.’ He survived for a short while then died. I returned and called o*!n the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa salaam at his house, and found him lying in a bed made of the stalks of date palm leaves knitted with ropes and o*!n it there was bedding. The strings of the bed had left their marks o*!n his back and sides. I told him about our and Abu ‘Amir’s news, and his request (to tell him to ask Allah’s forgiveness for him). The Prophet asked for water, performed ablution, and raised his hands saying, ‘O Allah forgive your servant Abu ‘Amir.’ I saw the whiteness of the Prophet’s underarm. He continued, ‘O Allah make him o*!n the Day of Resurrection superior to many of Your human creatures.’ I said, ‘Would you ask Allah’s forgiveness for me as well?’ He said, ‘O Allah, forgive the sins of Abdullah ibn Qays and admit him to a nice entrance o*!n the Day of Resurrection,’”

Hafiz ibn Hajr said in “Al-Fath” 8/35, “It is indicated in this report that performing ablution when making dua is desirable (mustahab).”

nizar83

aselemu aleikum, as mentioned for dua no whudoo is required...only for salaat.

however, the raising of the hands during dua...is not neccesarily something we must do as the prophet salalahu wa3alayhi weselem did never do this when standing on his mimbar making dua..

to say something more about whudoo...i have read this book on whudoo..its very very beneficial...certain things we MUST know such as for example what to do when you are in salaat and u remember that you havent completed whudoo, you forget to wash your feet...or u forgot to wash up ur nose....see the first 1 fard and requires u to stop the fard prayer, and go wash ur feet and then go back and continue where u left off...but if u forget nsomething that isnt fard such as the nose,u can complete ur salaat...and then after salaat wash up ur noise...

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum, a person does not require wudoo' for making du`aa. However, a point worth pointing out is about wiping the face after du`aa' and kissing the thumbs. There is no authentic narrations concerning wiping the hands over the face after making du`aa' and nor for kissing the thumbs after making du`aa' or after hearing the name of the Prophet :saw2:. Scholars were very staunch against it:

al-‘Izz ibn ‘Abd al-Salaam said: No one wipes his face with his hands after saying du’aa’ except one who is ignorant.

Fataawa al-‘Izz ibn ‘Abd al-Salaam, p. 47

If it is not permitted to wipe the face after making du’aa’, it is more likely that the person who says du’aa’ should not be allowed to wipe his body either, or to kiss his eyes.

Rather the scholars stated that kissing the thumbs and placing them on the eyes is a bid’ah that was introduced by some of the Sufi tareeqahs, and there is a hadeeth concerning that which is falsely attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:

Good point, akhi thariq. We should strive to gain information about acts of Ibadah performed as per the Sunnah of Rasool SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallama. Indeed there is no better way than of our beloved Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam.

Kissing of thumbs is not proven from the Sunnah and hence one should not practice such innovations.

JazakAllahu Khayran akhi thariq for sharing the appropriate information.

Correction : Please read the discussion below on wiping the face.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

hijabi_sis

my beloved sister Dua can be made without Wudu for example if you are travelling, you may make dua without wudu while you are on your journey, as this is one time when duas are accepted SubhanAllah.... however
Scholars differ over wiping your hands over your face and kissing your thumbs as there is not any solid evidence regarding this... and Allah Knows best...

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Assalam-o-alikum sister Isra,

I didn't know that you are also Tree2008. I was wondering where sister Tree2008 is gone, and I didn't know that you got married also. Maybe I missed all that because these days I am not in TTI as much as I used to.
Well... Accept my belated congratulations on your marriage.

Anyways... Regarding your question I think all of our brothers and sisters have cotrectly said that it is not necessary to be in Wudu to make dua. But if a person make wudu before dua then certainly Allah(SWT) will look at his/her effort and certainly be more pleased.

As far as kissing fingers or thumb or wiping the palm on face is not haram or makruh. But if people of knowledge say that our Prophet :saw: did not do it then one could avoid. But raising hand (in the form of cup or not) is quite common and probably a sunnah too.
:tti_sister:

Wassalam.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

As far as kissing fingers or thumb or wiping the palm on face is not haram or makruh. But if people of knowledge say that our Prophet :saw: did not do it then one could avoid. But raising hand (in the form of cup or not) is quite common and probably a sunnah too.
:tti_sister:

Wassalam.

Kissing fingers or wiping face is not proven from the Sunnah as mentioned above, which makes it an innovation in the religion.

And innovation in the religion is not acceptable to Allah azz zawajal :-

‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours [i.e., Islam] that is not part of it will have it rejected.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-Sulh, 2499)

Also, it is important that we follow the way taught to us by our beloved Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallama. Let us revisit this important saying of the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallama

Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallama is reported to have said "“Whoever turns away from my Sunnah has nothing to do with me.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Nikaah, 4675)

May Allah azz zawajal assist us to implement the Sunnah of His Rasool SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam in our lives. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
But raising hand (in the form of cup or not) is quite common and probably a sunnah too.

Yes it is a sunnah, as the Messenger of Allaah :Saw2: said,it was narrated by Imaam at-Tirmidhi, that Allaah is shy of a slave who raises his hand in du`aa and that He sends him away empty-handed.

And there are many other evidences.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

When the commentator finished I saw my husband wipe his face with both hands and kiss his fingertips when they reached his mouth then he said "Ameen" so I did the same.

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarkatuhu

Dear sister, it is aloowed to make dua in any time and not only after praying saalah. I also wanted to say that kissing fingers after dua is not from Sunnah but it is Bidaah,and not accepted like that in Islaam. You should kindly advice your husband dear sister about this,and explain him with explinations of brothers and sisters who replied before why this practise is not from Sunnah, and therefor not from Islaam.

May Allah help you

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan to ALL my brothers and sisters who replied to my question! I am happy to hear we did nothing wrong by following the brother making dua on the radio!

I was not aware that we should not kiss our fingers or wipe our hands over our face afterwards and in fact my husband is not the first Muslim I have seen doing this because when I first took my shahada I was taught to pray by a very wonderful Muslimah and she also performed the act of wiping her hands over her face and kissing her fingertips while saying Ameen but she took it a step further by placing both hands (her left over the top of her right) on her heart and saying "Alhamdulillah" after salah every time we prayed so this is the way I have been ending my salah EVERY time I pray!!!! It is the way she taught me and I had no idea it was wrong! May Allah forgive me! I will not continue to do this anymore and I will explain to my husband that it is an innovation! He has been learning alot about Islam through me as I learn through you. Even though he is a born Muslim there is much he is unaware of.

Now I have another question which came to my mind as I was reading brother thariq2005 and brother BrotherInIslam7 posts........each night and most mornings my husband recites Quran into his cupped hands (he recites 3 prayers and says them 3 times each) then he uses his hands to "cover" himself by rubbing them over his whole body then he does the same to me and then we both cup our hands and facing the Kaba he prays dua then we both say Ameen. I know now that we shouldnt practice rubbing our hands over our faces and kissing our fingers but what about this practice of "covering" that we have been doing? My husband said its for protection against "bad eyes". Should we still continue to do this? I have written about it before on this website and the members all said this is a usual practice by many Muslims so Im just wondering now if its really Sunnah or just another innovation.

Really thank you sooooooo much for all of your patience with my many questions over the few years since I have become Muslim. You will never know how much you have all helped me with my Islam and I pray every day that Allah will reward you for your kindness and your knowledge! Ameen

Brother Munawar thank you for your kind words! Yes its me....Tree2008 but I decided I wanted to use the name I chose when I took my shahada which is Isra and thats the name my husband and his entire family know me as too. I became a new person after taking my shahada and the old "me" has died and been buried Alhamdulillah so I wanted a new name to reflect the change. I even have some of my family members calling me Isra and Im thinking of changing my name legally!! By the way here is another surprise you might not have heard or known about............I moved from the United States to live in Morocco with my husband last August!!!!! Hahahaha!!! I guess with me its just one surprise after another but that is Allah's blessing upon me Alhamdulillah! I go where he sends me! :hijabi:

I hope you have been well and that you are staying warm there in Michigan! I know its very cold these days.........brrrrrrr hahahaha! Take care!

Wa salam

arzafar

As salamo alaikome

Now I have another question which came to my mind as I was reading brother thariq2005 and brother BrotherInIslam7 posts........each night and most mornings my husband recites Quran into his cupped hands (he recites 3 prayers and says them 3 times each) then he uses his hands to "cover" himself by rubbing them over his whole body then he does the same to me and then we both cup our hands and facing the Kaba he prays dua then we both say Ameen. I know now that we shouldnt practice rubbing our hands over our faces and kissing our fingers but what about this practice of "covering" that we have been doing? My husband said its for protection against "bad eyes". Should we still continue to do this? I have written about it before on this website and the members all said this is a usual practice by many Muslims so Im just wondering now if its really Sunnah or just another innovation.

Wa salam

al-Ikhlaas and al-Mi’wadhatayn [i.e., the last three soorahs of the Qur’aan]

It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to bed every night, he would hold his hands together and blow into them, and recite into them Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad, Qul a’oodhu bi rabb il-falaq and Qul a’oodhu bi rabb il-naas. Then he would wipe them over whatever he could of his body, starting with his head and face and the front of his body, and he would do that three times. Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5017).

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/72591

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
al-Ikhlaas and al-Mi’wadhatayn [i.e., the last three soorahs of the Qur’aan]

It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to bed every night, he would hold his hands together and blow into them, and recite into them Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad, Qul a’oodhu bi rabb il-falaq and Qul a’oodhu bi rabb il-naas. Then he would wipe them over whatever he could of his body, starting with his head and face and the front of his body, and he would do that three times. Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5017).

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/72591

JazakAllaahu khairaa brother.

Just to add to that add: any act of worship that we do, we must confirm that it is from the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah :saw2:.

There are many du`aas and soorahs that the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: taught us in order to protect ourselves from the evil eye. If you have the "Fortress of Muslim", it has the du`aas one is recommended to recite in the morning and in the evening, and they are authentic. If you stick to that, then it is one of the best means to protect oneself from the evil eye, black magic etc.

I know your a revert, so there is nothing to worry about. We are all still in the learning stage and we all learn by everyday that passes by. May Allaah bless you for your husband and your husband for you, and may Allaah protect both you from all sorts of evil.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

daywalker

However, a point worth pointing out is about wiping the face after du`aa'. There is no authentic narrations concerning wiping the hands over the face after making du`aa' . Scholars were very staunch against it:

Good point, akhi thariq. We should strive to gain information about acts of Ibadah performed as per the Sunnah of Rasool SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallama. Indeed there is no better way than of our beloved Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam.

Wiping of face not proven from the Sunnah and hence one should not practice such innovations.

Narration of Umar Bin Khattab (RA) in Tirmidhi:

حَدَّثَنَا ‏ ‏أَبُو مُوسَى مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْمُثَنَّى ‏ ‏وَإِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ يَعْقُوبَ ‏ ‏وَغَيْرُ وَاحِدٍ ‏ ‏قَالُوا حَدَّثَنَا ‏ ‏حَمَّادُ بْنُ عِيسَى الْجُهَنِيُّ ‏ ‏عَنْ ‏ ‏حَنْظَلَةَ بْنِ أَبِي سُفْيَانَ الْجُمَحِيِّ ‏ ‏عَنْ ‏ ‏سَالِمِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ‏ ‏عَنْ ‏ ‏أَبِيهِ ‏ ‏عَنْ ‏ ‏عُمَرَ بْنِ الْخَطَّابِ ‏ ‏رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ ‏ ‏قَالَ ‏كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ‏ ‏صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ ‏ ‏إِذَا رَفَعَ يَدَيْهِ فِي الدُّعَاءِ لَمْ يَحُطَّهُمَا حَتَّى يَمْسَحَ بِهِمَا وَجْهَهُ ‏

Musaa Muhammad ibn Al-Muthannaa and Ibraahim ibn Yaqub and more than one stating that Hammaad ibn Eesaa Al-Juhani narrated to us from Hanthalah ibn Abi Sufyaan Al-Jumahiy from Saalim ibn Abdullah from his father (Abdullah ibn Umar) from Umar ibn Al-Khattab (radhiya Allahu Anhu) who said that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) when raising his hands in duaa, would not put them down until he had wiped his face with them.

Verdict of Imam Tirmidhi (RA):

قَالَ ‏ ‏مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْمُثَنَّى ‏ ‏فِي حَدِيثِهِ ‏ ‏لَمْ يَرُدَّهُمَا حَتَّى يَمْسَحَ بِهِمَا وَجْهَهُ ‏ ‏قَالَ ‏ ‏أَبُو عِيسَى ‏ ‏هَذَا ‏ ‏حَدِيثٌ صَحِيحٌ غَرِيبٌ ‏ ‏لَا نَعْرِفُهُ إِلَّا مِنْ حَدِيثِ ‏ ‏حَمَّادِ بْنِ عِيسَى ‏ ‏وَقَدْ تَفَرَّدَ بِهِ وَهُوَ قَلِيلُ الْحَدِيثِ وَقَدْ حَدَّثَ عَنْهُ النَّاسُ ‏ ‏وَحَنْظَلَةُ بْنُ أَبِي سُفْيَانَ الْجُمَحِيُّ ‏ ‏ثِقَةٌ وَثَّقَهُ ‏ ‏يَحْيَى بْنُ سَعِيدٍ الْقَطَّانُ

At-Tirmithi continues, This hadith is Sahih ghareeb

Verdict of Al-Hafidh Imam Ibn Hajr Asqalani (RA) in Bulughul Maram:

Al-Hafidh Imam Ibn Hajar Asqalani (RA), Author of the one of the most trusted commentaries of Saheeh Bukhari narrates this Hadeeth in Bulughul Maram and then writes:

وَلَهُ شَوَاهِدُ مِنْهَا:

There are other traditions which support this narration, of which are:

حَدِيثُ اِبْنِ عَبَّاسٍ: عَنْ أَبِي دَاوُدَ . وَمَجْمُوعُهَا يَقْتَضِي أَنَّهُ حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ .
The Hadeeth narrated by Ibn Abbas (RA) related by Abi Dawud and others. Put together, they confirm that it (this Hadeeth) is Hasan.

Verdict of Shawkani (RA) in Nawlul Awtaar:

Imam Shawkani (RA) accepts this narration as Hasan in Mawlul Awtaar

Verdict of Shaykh San'ani (RA):

Muhammad bin Ismail Al-Sanani (RA) wrote a commentary of Bulughul Maram (printed by Darus-Salam publications, Riyadh KSA) in which he writes:

وفيه دليل على مشروعية مسح الوجه باليدين بعد الفراغ من الدعاء

And it (this Hadeeth) contains a proof for the legitimacy of wiping ones face with the hands after making du`a.

Verdict of Nawab Sideeq Hasan Khan (RA):

Shaykh Nawab Sideeq Hasan Khan (RA) accepts this narration as Hasan in commentary of Bulughul Maram.

Verdict of Shaykh Abdullah Al-Bassam:

Shaykh Abdullah Al-Bassam mentions in Taudeehul Ahkaam (his commentary of Bulooghul Maraam) that this Hadeeth has supporting Narrations which strengthen each other, thus the Hadeeth gains strength from these routes and a number of scholars have chosen this position that it is Hasan (Authentic) and from them is Ishaq Ibn Rahwaiyya (RA) (an early scholar of Hadeeth) and Imam Nawawi (in one of the positions which he has adopted), Imam Ibnul Hajr Asqalani (RA), Al-Munawi (RA) in Faidul-Qadeer Fi Sharhil Jami As-Sagheer (commentary of Jami As-Sagheer of Imam Jalul-ud-deen Suyuti (RA), Imam Shawkani (RA) and others.

Verdict of Shaykh Bin-Baaz (RA):

Shaykh Bin-Baaz (RA) in his Ta'leeqat of Bulughul Maram comments that in the chain of this Hadeeth is Hammaad ibn Eesaa Al-Juhani whom scholars have declared weak and Shaykh Ibnul Hajr Asqalani (RA) has also followed them and declared him weak in "Tahdhib al-Tahdhib" to the 9th degree; yet he has declared this Hadeeth Hasan and this must be due to Shawahid (supporting Narrations)

Imam Bukhari narrates in his Adab Al-Mufrad : Ibrahim ibn Munzir narrated us, he said Muhammad ibn Falih narrated us, he said : my father informed me from Abu Nua’ym and he is Wahb, he said : "I saw ibn ‘Umar and ibn Zubayr making invocation and they wiped their hands on their faces."

This Athar is Hassan, and Ibn Hajar even declared it Sahih in Al-Amali, and its narrators are all from Bukhari.

Imam Muhammad ibn Nasr Al-Marwazi narrates from Mu’tamar that he saw Abu Ka’b Abd Rabihi ibn Ubayd Al-Azdi, the author of Tahrir, invoking raising his hands and then he was wiping them on his face after finishing. I asked him why he was doing and he answered that Hassan Al-Basri was doing this. (Qyam Al-Layl p 236)

Hafiz ibn Hajar said in Al-Amali : “But this Hadith has Mawsool, Mursal witnesses and the total shows that the Hadith has a basis, and this is also supported by what comes from Al-Hassan Basri with a Hassan chain, and there is in it a refutation for those who consider that as an innovation.

Imam nawawi in book Al-Azkar, he mentioned among Adab of invocation : “facing the Qiblah, and raising the hands and wiping them on the face…”

daywalker

And now that I am thoroughly confused..........
:salam2: wiping the face after dua isnt innovation nor Its compulsary, you may act whatever you wish in this regard. But kissng the finger after dua or any other occasion is bidah(innovation) , so stay away from that.

Isra

aka Tree2008
:salam2: wiping the face after dua isnt innovation nor Its compulsary, you may act whatever you wish in this regard. But kissng the finger after dua or any other occasion is bidah(innovation) , so stay away from that.

Ok so Im understanding that kissing the hands or fingers is out but wiping them over the face is ok is that right? My husband will be so happy to hear that because when I told him it was an innovation he really didnt want to accept it!

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

Just a point of clarification: I never said it is bid`ah to wipe hands over the face, as the scholars have differed over this. (That is why I quoted the bit from the fatwa in IslamQA that doesn't talk about it being bid`ah)

Sister Isra, the scholars differed over the authenticity of the ahadeeth. Like the hadeeth narrated in at-Tirmidhi (posted by the brother above) was weakened by majority of the scholars due to a weak narrator in the chain, while some scholars like Ibn Hajar and others authenticated it due to other supporting narrations. That is why the `Allaamah Muhammad ibn al-Mukhtaar ash-Shanqitee said that even though the hadeeth is weak, one cannot say that it is a bid`ah to do wipe hands over the face.

What can be said is that one cannot say it is bid`ah nor sunnah as the room to ijtihaad is open in terms of the authenticity of the ahadeeth relating to this topic. You can read into this, it is a lengthy topic.

Me personally: I am of the view that one should NOT wipe his hands over his face, but as I said this is the opinion I follow and this topic is more open than other topics.

Wassalaamu `alaykum