'The Retreat'

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
A new BBC show...did anyone hear about it?

It's an 'experiment' in which 6 British volunteers visit an Islamic retreat...some (two?) are already Muslim, the other 4 are not. I think the point is to help them understand more Islam, and to benefit from the peaceful environment they'll be in (both in terms of the religious practices they'll follow, as well as the fact that their surroundings will be nice and serene).

You can find out more (and see some video clips) here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/noise/?id=the_retreat

Thoughts??

zarqa

thank you for posting this i will be looking forward to watching it then we can share our views!

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

I've seen a few clips of this and to be honest, I'm not sure what kind of Islam the people are being exposed to. I've seen some of the things they are doing and it's quite worrying as it has no basis on Islam and more to do with bida'a (innovations).

wasalam

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
Salaam brother,

Yes, I kind of got that impression too...There seems to be a lot of chanting and stuff going on?! INSHA'ALLAH though, these clips are taken out of context and the full picture will be more pleasing and correct? I don't know...I'll see when I watch the shows...Allah knows best.

I do think it has the potential to be a really interesting show though...

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Please let us know of your opinion when you see it.

I know some Muslims (Reverts & born) who are into chanting quite heavily, actually!

Salaam brother,

Yes, I kind of got that impression too...There seems to be a lot of chanting and stuff going on?! INSHA'ALLAH though, these clips are taken out of context and the full picture will be more pleasing and correct? I don't know...I'll see when I watch the shows...Allah knows best.

I do think it has the potential to be a really interesting show though...

abdullah1111

Assalamu alaykum,

Its a sufi retreat in morrocco. What they do is not part of islam, and has no part of islam. Why should we be retreating in these times, we should not be retreating.

salams

shaz_1999

personaly im not going to be watching this programme coz its seems well weird and da more people dat watch it da BBC will think der r doin kool u know wat I mean

propa weird

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
personaly im not going to be watching this programme coz its seems well weird and da more people dat watch it da BBC will think der r doin kool u know wat I mean

propa weird

I'm gonna watch at least the first show, because no matter how 'cool' the BBC thinks it is, I think any show that brings a TRUE (by true, I mean one that does not just show terrorism and oppression, etc) view of Islam to a wider audience of non-Muslims is beneficial.

Did you see the Morgan Spurlock show '30 Days' in which an American Christian guy spent a month living as a Muslim? At first he was a little annoying, arrogant, and disrespectful towards Islam...but at the end of his 30 days, he was like "I understand now". He didn't choose to live as a Muslim permanently, unfortunately, but he at least gained a pretty deep understanding of the deen, and vowed not to judge Muslims purely on what the media said about Islam.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

It's best to be aware of what's going on around you...Please watch & let us know of your comments.

I can't otherwise I would have

I'm gonna watch at least the first show, because no matter how 'cool' the BBC thinks it is, I think any show that brings a TRUE (by true, I mean one that does not just show terrorism and oppression, etc) view of Islam to a wider audience of non-Muslims is beneficial.

Did you see the Morgan Spurlock show '30 Days' in which an American Christian guy spent a month living as a Muslim? At first he was a little annoying, arrogant, and disrespectful towards Islam...but at the end of his 30 days, he was like "I understand now". He didn't choose to live as a Muslim permanently, unfortunately, but he at least gained a pretty deep understanding of the deen, and vowed not to judge Muslims purely on what the media said about Islam.

zainab

I just watched 'The Retreat' and what came to mind is:

Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day”

[al-Ahzaab 33:21]

:wasalam:

zarqa

i watched it last night and had various feeelings about it. on one hand it was nice to be seeing a peacefull side from the media instead of the usually terror they try to portray and when some of the people returned to their recognition of being a muslim it was heart warming. .... But although i have a basic knowledge of islam i am learning more each day with the help of you guys!! I also understand their are different groups of muslims who worship Allah in their own unique way. To be clear in the film there was a lot of chanting, hitting their bodies and i also felt very uncomfortable watching a lady who was heavily chanting and appeared to be in a state of euphoria. this from what i believe is not stated in the koran and is there own adaptions.
Am i not right in thinking we should strive to follow in what Mohhamed peace be upon him taught? this included following every aspect of how he lived his life as a muslim by walking talking etc etc. If we all try to interpret it in our own ways how long would it take before the true islam would be lost??

I would be very interested to know what everyone else thought and if i have got it completely wrong then please tell me.

Globalpeace

Banned
Sister,

Your input is greatly appreciated because I am too busy to watch these things.

Chanting! Euphoria! Hmm!

i watched it last night and had various feeelings about it. on one hand it was nice to be seeing a peacefull side from the media instead of the usually terror they try to portray and when some of the people returned to their recognition of being a muslim it was heart warming. .... But although i have a basic knowledge of islam i am learning more each day with the help of you guys!! I also understand their are different groups of muslims who worship Allah in their own unique way. To be clear in the film there was a lot of chanting, hitting their bodies and i also felt very uncomfortable watching a lady who was heavily chanting and appeared to be in a state of euphoria. this from what i believe is not stated in the koran and is there own adaptions.
Am i not right in thinking we should strive to follow in what Mohhamed peace be upon him taught? this included following every aspect of how he lived his life as a muslim by walking talking etc etc. If we all try to interpret it in our own ways how long would it take before the true islam would be lost??

I would be very interested to know what everyone else thought and if i have got it completely wrong then please tell me.

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA

Salaam...

I'm still ruminating over it, but I do share your general opinions on it...

Two things bothered me a little though...

1) I was a little offended when the sister Aisha talked to the guy who ran the retreat, asking him whether or not the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) would have prayed in the manner that these guys were...his answer "I don't give a damn!". Not only did I find that insulting towards the deen, but also insulting towards the sister who asked him a simple question...couldn't he come up with a more respectful answer than that?!

2) The euphoria thing...when they were in a dhikr session, and that lady who also helps to run the retreat started making some very strange noises and movements indeed! In my opinion (I mean NOT to judge...), I felt like maybe she was playing up to the cameras about how she felt. She stated that when she was in this euphoric state, she "couldn't contain her love for Allah"...If it makes you feel that way, then subhanalllah, BUT, to express it outwardly like this? Hmm.

Something I LIKED to see...

1) The revert sister...Khadejah...It was nice to see her have the confidence to engage in congregational prayer with other sisters for the first time in her life. She appeared to be genuinely happy with the experience, and her confidence as a muslima seemed to blossom.

PS: I don't remember seeing anything about these people hitting their own bodies? Forgive me if I'm wrong though, I may have missed it.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Salaam...

I'm still ruminating over it, but I do share your general opinions on it...

Two things bothered me a little though...

1) I was a little offended when the sister Aisha talked to the guy who ran the retreat, asking him whether or not the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) would have prayed in the manner that these guys were...his answer "I don't give a damn!". Not only did I find that insulting towards the deen, but also insulting towards the sister who asked him a simple question...couldn't he come up with a more respectful answer than that?!

2) The euphoria thing...when they were in a dhikr session, and that lady who also helps to run the retreat started making some very strange noises and movements indeed! In my opinion (I mean NOT to judge...), I felt like maybe she was playing up to the cameras about how she felt. She stated that when she was in this euphoric state, she "couldn't contain her love for Allah"...If it makes you feel that way, then subhanalllah, BUT, to express it outwardly like this? Hmm.

Something I LIKED to see...

1) The revert sister...Khadejah...It was nice to see her have the confidence to engage in congregational prayer with other sisters for the first time in her life. She appeared to be genuinely happy with the experience, and her confidence as a muslima seemed to blossom.

PS: I don't remember seeing anything about these people hitting their own bodies? Forgive me if I'm wrong though, I may have missed it.

For the point 1): That person surely insulted Prophet (SAW) and not just that sister.

And Euphoria in point 2): Does that lady love Allah more than the mothers of Mo'mineen (Companions of Prophet SAW)? Did we read about any Mother of Mo'mineens to moan and make strange noises and movements?

I did not see that show you are talking about, But what you are saying if that is true then its absured to do that, or should I call that Ugly.

Wassalaam,
VE

Globalpeace

Banned
Haal (Euphoria in Dhik'r)

Asslamo Allaikum,

Euphoria in Dhik'r is called Haal in Sufi terminology. I have seen some incredible stuff!

These people are NOT in control & from what I have seen it can't be acting...

Banging your head against the wall & walking on your knees for a long time can't be acting...not sure about the sister on TV

To the best of my knowledge this can't be from the Sunnah.

I have also seen the same with Hindu & Budhist reverts in temples; so this condition is not really limited to Islam or Sufi'ism.

I have had some interesting conversations with these people (Muslims & Non-Mislims alike) about Haal & the Seven chakras [Called Lataif in Islamic sufi'ism]; hence my comments to Br Mabsoot about the impermissability of advance Yoga.

A lot of these guys also experiment with drugs to enhance the feeling of Euphoria & that includes Muslims & Non-Muslims. A lot of advance Tai'chi students also get this feeling; & work on it.

A lot of Muslims & Non-Muslims use techniques described in Kama-Sutra which are also based on breathing and trance; intersting read for all (I suppose for information).

You have to see it to beleive it!

Its NOT hard to do...for anyone who is interested in experiencing it try the Straw-breathing technique for 10 minutes & you will get it in 1 go; first time.

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
Asslamo Allaikum,

Euphoria in Dhik'r is called Haal in Sufi terminology. I have seen some incredible stuff!

These people are NOT in control & from what I have seen it can't be acting...

Banging your head against the wall & walking on your knees for a long time can't be acting...not sure about the sister on TV

To the best of my knowledge this can't be from the Sunnah.

I have also seen the same with Hindu & Budhist reverts in temples; so this condition is not really limited to Islam or Sufi'ism.

I have had some interesting conversations with these people (Muslims & Non-Mislims alike) about Haal & the Seven chakras [Called Lataif in Islamic sufi'ism]; hence my comments to Br Mabsoot about the impermissability of advance Yoga.

A lot of these guys also experiment with drugs to enhance the feeling of Euphoria & that includes Muslims & Non-Muslims.

You have to see it to beleive it!

Thanks for reminding me of the term 'haal', as I'd forgotten it from the show...No head banging or anything like that, she was making a really odd 'gutteral' sound, and crying/wailing quite freely.

As for experimenting with drugs...I just shook my head in disbelief when I read that :-s

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

In Haal different people have different patterns; I have seen people just laugh; some just cry etc...

Banging and stuff is extreme.

There are stories where women have been raped; all other sorts of physical encounters (Homo & Hetro) have also occured...

People advertise this kind of stuff to meet like minded people! Its pretty common in the West in the alternative circles!

Thanks for reminding me of the term 'haal', as I'd forgotten it from the show...No head banging or anything like that, she was making a really odd 'gutteral' sound, and crying/wailing quite freely.

As for experimenting with drugs...I just shook my head in disbelief when I read that :-s

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:wasalam:

Firstly, The WHOLE Idea of a "Retreat" is not from Islam.

Islam is a way of life and is Complete. A Muslim living his life upon the Quran and the Sunnah should find the best spiritual feeling than any other way.

If we want to go to the countryside and marvel at ALlah's creation and remember Allah, that is fine. We can do that.

But, sitting in groups, chanting, and believing in statements of Kufr will only lead us to hellfire.

The person incharge of that place is doing just that!! And he is teaching them very devious ideas.. The ideas of Wahdatul Wujood.

If you understood their explanation of the chanting, they basically said that they chant because God is part of them and that everyone can be part of God when they chant. - These are bad and sinful ideas which have no basis in Islam.

Chanting etc, (saying mantras over and over) has more to do with Hinduism and Buddhism than anything else.

There are a lot of problems with Sufism, and these are just some of them. And yes, I was very suprised when the woman asked the "Imam" if the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) did these things, he said "I dont care". And then he has the ordasity to say that he is on the authentic Islam. lol.

Imam Malik remarked: "That which was not religion at the time of the Messenger and his companions, may Allah be pleased with them all, is never to be religion today. He who introduces a Bid'ah (innovation) in the religion of Islam and deems it a good thing, claims by so doing that Muhammad (s.a.w) betrayed the Message."

very funny. I was really proud with the two sisters, mashaAllah. Sister Aisha and the other sister who was a barrister. They did not engage in these bidah, and stood firm alhamdulillah.

THe BBC, the Government and others love Sufis, they do not want people to learn about the True Islam. Either you will see these modernists and Sufis who teach rubbish, or you will see small group of loud mouth ignorants. Thats the sad reality of it.

SUFISM: The Deviated Path

The Prophet :saw: said: "The Jews and the Christians divided into seventy-two sects. And my ummah will divide into seventy-three (sects) – all of them will be in the Hellfire, except one." They (the Companions) asked: "Which one is that, O Messenger of Allaah SAWS?" He SAWS said: "They are the ones who are upon the same thing that I and my Companions are upon today (i.e. from beliefs and methodology)."

ANd the Prophet Said:

"Whoever innovates or accomodates an innovator, then upon him is the curse of Allaah, His angels and the whole of mankind."
(Reported by Bukhaaree, 12/41 and Muslim, 9/140)

Abdullaah bin Mas’ood reported, “Allaah’s Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) drew a line for us, then he said, “This is Allaah’s way.” Then he drew lines to the right and to the left and said, “These are differing ways, upon each of these ways is a devil (Shaytaan) calling to it.” Then he recited, “And this is My Straight Path, so follow it, and do not follow (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path.” (a-An’aam 6:153).” (Ahmad 1/435 and at-Tayaaleesee no. 244).

SO, How did that man say he doesnt Care what the Prophet :saw: did? Astaghfirullah, this just shows how astray they are..

As Muslims, we must Follow the Quran and the Sunnah with the Understanding of the Pious Predecessors..... This is in accordance with the Quran and the Hadith of the Prophet :saw: .

Following The Right Way

when we have this foundation of Quran and Sunnah, Allah will unite the Muslims and make us strong. This is something that the enemies of Islam never want to see happen.. So they always support those who contradict the true teachings of Islam. Astaghfirullah.

But, no matter what they do, the Muslims will always be successful.