Here He Goes Again

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Peter King is just being himself. Many Jewish voices in America are against the hearings. It is a reminder that Joseph McCarthy is alive and well.

Even the NYPD are stunned by this power hungry bigot.

It will be interesting to see how the Muslim community will respond. I pray this does not lead to the same thing that happened to the Japanese.

Sane Jewish and Christian voices are against this open bigotry.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2011/03/rep-peter-king-defends-hearing.html
http://www.ncccusa.org/news/110307timessquarerally.html

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I do not believe the person read my post. This is anything but lovely.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum

The number one witness for Mr. King is:

The Washington Post:

In some ways, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/peter-king-taps-controver_n_828998.html doesn't match the profile of the typical Muslim American. He's an active Republican who has supported the U.S. wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, is an advocate for Israel and says his faith harbors "an insidious supremacism."

Yet the Scottsdale, Ariz., doctor will be the face of American Islam for a Capitol Hill moment. Other than members of Congress, Jasser is the only witness that Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.) has identified so far for his upcoming hearings on radicalization of American Muslims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/peter-king-taps-controver_n_828998.html

Here is the list:
Navigate:

* POLITICO
* Ben Smith
* The fight over Islam

Main Content
The fight over Islam - Ben Smith: The fight over Islam
March 06, 2011
Categories:

* Congress

The fight over Islam

Robert Costa gets what is, for those following Pete King's controversial upcoming hearings, a key scoop:

National Review Online has obtained the list of witnesses set to appear at Rep. Peter King’s hearings on radicalization within the American Muslim community: Abdirizak Bihi, the brother of Burhan Hassan’s mother; Melvin Bledsoe, the father of Carlos Bledsoe (Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad); Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, an Arizona physician and military veteran; Lee Baca, the sheriff of Los Angeles County; Rep. Keith Ellison (D., Minn.); Rep. Frank Wolf (R., Va.).

King seems to be keeping with his plan to call witnesses from within the Muslim community, if not its organized leadership.

Shak78

Sadly a sign of the times here in America where it is ok for you to be anything but Muslim and if you are you must be a terrorist. The fact people like this Representative holds hearings like this shows how far this nation has yet to come in its founding ideals.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I contacted CAIR and they suggested that I contact my representatives. I did. One of the witnesses for the hearing is from my state. I left my name and phone number and address and will continue to call all of Congress. This is a major issue; this is fighting for our First Amendment Rights.

It makes me rather sad that this forum is more concerned about selling incense. We really need to help ourselves on this matter.

I urge all US Muslims to contact your representatives on local and state levels as well.

Maybe I did not make myself clear.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I actually posted up New York's response to Peter King's lunacy but my thread seems to have "mysteriously" vanished.

In any case, yesterday in Times Square, Manhattan, several hundred Muslim and non-Muslim demonstrators gathered to protest Peter King's hearings for American Muslims. I was there myself and the turnout was very successful. The rally was even led by Russel Simmons. There was also an opposition rally scheduled but their turnout was a joke alhamdulillah.

For more information, check the link below.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/03/today_i_am_a_mu.php

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I would have responded to your thread and you know that.

This is serious stuff. I am just thinking about registration cards and who knows what. King is crazy but he is in Congress.

This is one time Muslims need to raise their voice. If we do not speak up it will set the precedent and we will all lose.

I do suggest when you call to be very polite. The staff will take a message. Please ask for a written response.

The Second Amendment is worth fighting for, too.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I've written to him before but received auto message after auto message. In any case, he's still got my lovely message waiting in his inbox.

Here is a Guardian poll asking if Americans believe the King hearings are necessary. The link is below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis.../mar/07/peter-king-muslim-hearings?CMP=twt_fd

Currently, those who believe them to be divisive witchunts are in the lead but the tide can change at any moment.

Vote now!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I dug this article for those interested:

Battle lines are being drawn as Republican Rep. Peter King prepares to hold a high-profile hearing Thursday that will examine the threat posed by radical Islam in the United States.

The New York lawmaker, who is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, has received threats in recent days but says he "will not back down." His plans have divided lawmakers on Capitol Hill and triggered a backlash from Muslim and civil liberties groups claiming he's unfairly targeting members of one faith.

But King said Wednesday he's moving ahead with the hearing on the basis of "where the evidence is."

"That's where the danger is coming from," he told Fox News. "It's a small percentage. The overwhelming majority of Muslims are outstanding Americans. But the reality is that the threat is coming from within that community."

King said that if he thought members of the Irish, Jewish or any other ethnic community were exhibiting threatening signs he would launch an investigation into them as well. But he said Al Qaeda is actively trying to radicalize American Muslims, with some success.

Feb. 16: House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington before the Senate Commerce Committee hearing on "Safeguarding Our Future: Building a Nationwide Network for First Responders."

Feb. 16: House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington before the Senate Commerce Committee hearing on "Safeguarding Our Future: Building a Nationwide Network for First Responders."

"This has nothing to do with Islam as a religion," King said.

According to a report in the New York Post, one witness -- M. Zuhdi Jasser, president of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy -- plans to say imams in America promote a "lack of cooperation and lack of assimilation" which feeds radicalization. He reportedly plans to say mosques are "feeding into that ideology."

King got an endorsement Wednesday from House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., who suggested King is on solid ground in calling the hearing.

"It's obvious where there have been problems with terrorist activity," Cantor said. "We in this country are threatened by the spread of radical Islam."

The White House on Sunday also dispatched Denis McDonough, deputy national security adviser, to deliver a speech on Islamic radicalization Sunday at a Virginia mosque. McDonough stressed that the United States does not practice "guilt by association" but also said afterward that the administration welcomes "congressional involvement."

However, other lawmakers and groups have not been so welcoming.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., slammed King in a statement Wednesday, warning the hearing could divide Americans based on religion.

"I take the threat of terrorism very seriously, and no one is more committed to hunting down terrorists and bringing them to justice, wherever they live, than I am," Reid said. "But I am deeply concerned about these hearings, which demonize law-abiding American Muslims who make important contributions to our society, as I would be about congressional hearings to investigate Catholics, Jews or people of any other faith based solely on their religion."

The Council on American-Islamic Relations joined other groups for a press conference Wednesday denouncing the hearing. CAIR Director Nihad Awad said that King's "bias" and "fear-mongering" make him "unfit" to lead the House committee. Awad condemned violent extremism but said King was spreading "false" allegations and "irresponsible rhetoric" about American Muslims.

CAIR was among the groups that backed a protest in New York City over the weekend.

Dozens of organizations, including the American Civil Liberties Union, also sent out a letter Tuesday comparing King's plans to "McCarthyism and Japanese internment."

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., who is Muslim, criticized King in an interview Wednesday, saying he was assigning "blame" before the hearing even begins.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/09/battle-lines-drawn-king-hearing-radical-islam/

I am astounded that there is such apathy in responses. This is exactly what I have been writing about. The Muslim population in America is very confused. We are divided. We have no direction. We can not even get people to call Congress. This is going to have a direct effect on jobs and admission into college. You will probably be required to carry an id card stating your religion. I for one will fight this. Wake up people.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Sign a pledge against these ridiculous witchunts.

WhatUnitesUs is a campaign recently launched Muslim Advocates of America which is is an unprecedented effort to bring together Americans from all walks of life from across the country to push back against anti-Muslim rhetoric and make it unacceptable for public figures of any kind, but especially elected officials, to espouse anti-Muslim hate.

WhatUnitesUs: http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5779/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5898

Shak78

I wrote to my Congressman and both Senators but heard nothing back. The Senators in California are both Jews so I didn't expect to hear back from them. I have spoken to many of my friends about this issue and thankfully they do not feel the way King does. Only one of my friends have an issue with me being a Muslim and he is an older gentleman who is set in his ways. We as Muslims need to unite here in the States as Aapa said, as long as we are divided people like King can do harm to us.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

Well now we await the next set of hearings. Something about masjids.
It is a joke that we paying for.
I will refrain from writing what I really think.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Keith Ellison is a true pioneer in every sense of the word. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala bless him in this life and the next.

Sheila Jackson was pretty awesome as well as were Dr. Zuhdi Jasser and Congressman Dillinger of Michigan.