Ruba Qewar, Christian-Muslim-Christian?

booya

:salam2:
I was looking at muslim convert videos on Youtube, and I remember Ruba Qewar. I remember her as a Muslim sister who was very engaged in dawah. There are lots of videos of her helping other women become Muslims and having interviews about their experience. She was pretty famous and got invited to events like the GPU.

But... I just discovered that there are videos about her becoming Christian again. In one of the Arabic videos that I don't understand, she took off her hijab on the screen.

I remember there are other sisters on video who had this transformation. Christian, then Muslim, then Christian again.

Sometimes as converts I think we tend to be seen differently. We see them on videos declaring Shahadahs, praised them when they do dawah, etc. But yet many, or some of them end up leaving Islam. I think spiritual and personal development for converts are still very important, as you all have experienced how hard it is.

I hope this doesn't turn into a Ruba bashing, afterall I mentioned her name. I think this needs to be discussed.

Friend2100

Walikum Salam wa rahmatullah,

only thing i can say is

(Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You. Truly, You are the Bestower.) (3:8)

AMIN

revert2007

Love Fishing
As salamu 'alaikum waramathulah wabarakathu

I know a few people on yt as well as on tti in the same condition(i mean said shahadah and left Islam the next day). What can we say?Allah is the One who guides.

Saying shahadah doesn't mean that person is being guided. Being a true slave of Allah is about having imaan.

In the beginning reverts might feel awesome after converting to Islam and yeah all the attention being given.(Speaking based on my own experience).

Reverts might be called to give speech and people keep on praising.But then...the real reality begins once you are left alone to learn the faith.

Allah knows the best
As salamu 'alaikum waramathulah wabarakathu

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
:wasalam: brother booya

I agree with you that lets be careful not to turn this thread into Ruba-bashing, but learn something from it.

After reading this, several thoughts came to my mind.

1- If she returned back to Jesus (peace be upon him) to believe he is God or the son of God then lets pray for her as she used to be our sister in faith that Allah guide her heart. Maybe she tried and was unable to understand the meaning of monotheism. However, if she returned to Jesus (peace be upon him) because she loves his character and person then we all love Jesus, one does not have to leave Islam to love Jesus. Infact, we as Muslims love him more because we try to live as Jesus lived and do not merely suffice by saying 'i love jesus'.

2- A lesson to learn is that it is not enough just to confess that I am a Muslim (either a born Muslim or reverted), but the declaration should be supported by Islamic knowledge and ofcourse applying it in practice as much as possible.

3- Only Allah is the one who guides. He knows what is in the hearts of people and those who are sincere.

4- Among the means by which the truth of Islam is fought against will always be some of those same old tricks referred to in the following verses of the Quran: Chapter 3 Verses 72-73

'And a faction of the People of the Scripture say [to each other], "Believe in that which was revealed to the believers at the beginning of the day and reject it at its end that perhaps they will abandon their religion,
And do not trust except those who follow your religion." Say, "Indeed, the [true] guidance is the guidance of Allah . [Do you fear] lest someone be given [knowledge] like you were given or that they would [thereby] argue with you before your Lord?" Say, "Indeed, [all] bounty is in the hand of Allah - He grants it to whom He wills. And Allah is all-Encompassing and Wise." '

auroran

(Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You. Truly, You are the Bestower.) (3:8)

AMIN

Ameen!!!

Whomsoever Allah guides, there's none to lead him astray, and whomsoever Allah leads astray, there's none to guide him.

abu'muhammad

Assalamu alaykum,

I haven’t seen these vids yet. There are/were infidels who believed and then disbelieved later and we can’t help it.The guidance is with Allaah.

Walikum Salam wa rahmatullah,

only thing i can say is

AMIN

aameen.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

When a person reverts, at least here in the US, unless there is a very strong community it is easy to fall back into an easier life.

We have to understand that the duyna is easy. It has many pleasures. It is fun. Many born Muslims have no conception of what a person gives up in the duyna to embrace Islam.

It is up to us to develop a strong scaffolding for new reverts. Islam is a total change of life. Think..we take our shoes off..we only eat with our right hands, we sleep a certain way...something is halal or it is haraam. The way women interact with men changes. There is no more casual flirting. We lower our gaze.

Let us make mental notes and help the next revert. It has to be with kindness. So often we are so quick to criticize a revert and they have no clue. Cultural barriers need to be addressed. How do we take the hostility out of the masjids. I am speaking about sisters.

We, the practicing Muslims, need to look at ourselves and become more welcoming.

booya

I agree sister Aapa, life in the US is very hard since the environment is filled with bad things. Not only haraam, but just bad things period.

What is interesting about Ruba's case is that she went on the media about becoming Muslim AND once again went to the media once she became Christian again. She detailed her experience. At a quick read, it was more about the disappointments from the community.

It is a little disconcerting when people sort of "parade" their new faith. I was invited to speak to a small audience, and I ended up accepting. It is a pretty delicate situation; on one hand I don't feel I should represent the Deen and converts in general. But on the other hand the community needs to know that we are here, and maybe there are more of us than those who are prominent and well known. Inshaallah the good will outweight the bad.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Posts such as this are important. They help us understand what we can do to assist new reverts.
Over the years we have had many posts on how disorganized our masjids can be. And we know Muslims can not tell time.
We need to be more sensitive. We need to provide as much community support as we can.
For many reverts they give up all in the duyna. We, in turn, can at least invite them to our homes.

I can not address the need for some to go public...the twitter/facebook world is one I do not take part in...

What we need are suggestions from reverts. What is that we can do, given the limitations of time and space, to make a revert comfortable. There is much more organization in the Christian world for a newcomer. In Islam, we simply expect the newbie to jump on the bandwagon.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

We also have to be aware that on Youtube, there are a lot of videos posed as fakes - they have documentaries of muslims leaving the fold of Islam and embracing Christianity, but if you look deeper, you realize the "muslim" in the video doesn't have his/her facts right, and most likely its a plant by a Christian missionary or something.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I have seen people (of course youtube sensations) who convert to Islam, then apostate. What REALLY ticks me off, is that then they begin to bash Islam and be like "Oh I WAS a Muslim, I know how evil they are!"

There are many reasons why some Converts do apostate from Islam. We cannot know all of their reasons, but I do feel one reason is that to some people - Islam is exotic. Hijabs, Middle Eastern countries, camel caravans and desert dwellers. They want to be part of this exotic world. Then find out, Islam is a strict way of life and something you must commit to. Then they give up.

I am not speaking for this Ruba person, or any other apostates. This is merely a speculation from watching them speak, what some speak about, then the aftermath.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I visited her website. She was raised in the evangelical tradition and earned her degrees from a baptist theological school. She was experimenting with her faith. She is very young and returned to her roots.

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum:

First I will state a very very hard fact: Those reverts who embrace Deen of Allah with research and acquired knowledge from Quran and Sunnah,when step up Islamic platform they hardly find MUSLIMS. What I mean by MUSLIMS,A Momeen follwing Islam to best extent that he/she drowns in every aspect of Islam. A revert on exposure to local Muslim community than gets perplexed,on not finding people following what Allah's word commands.

I had same experience during my initial days of reversion. One Muslim,May Allah bless him with utmost,came through my life and Alhamdulillah on every declination of my Imaan (not due to intrinsic reasons) supported me with strong arms and Alhamdulillah now happily and willingly I can sacrifice my life for the truth.

Regards.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother, open up your heart. No-one is playing with the faith. It becomes a question of what can we as individuals do to help those who wish to become Muslim.

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum:

Those who grasp the truth of Islam and later reject it with whatever the reason they have behind,they leave off the truth. Surely a big segment from the rejectors is going to mislead those coming to truth. The rejectors of truth definitely deserve a strict penalty to pay off. Can we allow these rejectors openly roaming and mislead others?.

Few months back a revert Da'ee visited my home. He preached Islam to whole of my family. My father wasn't convinced with his personality. Later the revert sent SMS to all of his Muslim contacts that he is leaving Islam. He further began to bring back home those reverted through him to their parental faith.

Regards.

Valerie

I can see it being a comfort-zone issue. When you first learn about Islam, you are dazzled. Everything seems to fall into place, you feel so happy and blessed. You're in a happy little bubble. After a while, outside pressure and the reality of the society you live in works on bursting that little bubble. And when things get scary, and you're all alone, the best place to go is to run back to where you know you're safe. Or at least you feel you're safe.

Could these videos be plants by people trying to convert others to Christianity? Possibly, I wouldn't doubt it. Are they show-offs? Maybe.

I want to believe in the best of humanity and just think that maybe they're a flower that needs some sunshine and watering (information, encouragement). It's unfair to Muslims, I'm sure, but leading someone to Islam isn't enough. When you have shown them your beliefs, point them in the direction where they can get that sunshine and water, or they'll wilt. If you see someone wilting, a kind word or a link can go a long ways.

I say this because I've been lucky enough to have people here who have done this for me, and I'm grateful.

People who have bad things to say about Muslims didn't meet a real Muslim and they never understood the beauty that exists here. Or they really are attention-seekers.

:wasalam: