How should one deal with an atheist?

g0lden

I was talking to my friend today, and he flat out says life is a cruel game and no God would do such things to us. He does not believe in God, and will not believe until he has hard proof....
What is the proper way of dealing with these types of people. I tried talking to him, but he didn't really care to hear much of what i was saying.

Dawud

tariq353

:salam2:

Generally Atheists are arrogant n they don't listen .

Just one Question to atheist
Ok if there is no God(Any way congrats..you have said the starting part of Shahada "La ilaaha") why one should not do bad things ... If there is no second life then its all about materialism...

Its all about money... then why a person should avoid wrong ways to earn money???

Why a person should not become Hitler??

He will say its my principle my own standard between good n bad....
Ok but why should i have principle of life its all about materialism and remember principle will not gv anything because as per you there is no second life!!

He may reply that due to police court etc...... Even they are atheist and they too believe in materialism so they are in my pocket.

Believe me there is no answer to this

One more question 2 brothers both are good, one kicks out his parents and never meet them 2nd one take care of them as it should be and spending out of his income........Are both equal??
If so then why one should take care of parents.???

The existence of hereafter is based upon the principle of Justice ..
..in this life people responsible for genocide are living the most luxurious life....what about the justice (wrt who were killed).

Quran 2:281
And fear a Day when you will be returned to Allah. Then every soul will be compensated for what it earned, and they will not be wronged [i.e., treated unjustly].

this thread may be of some help
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8208

wa salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

First God has not done anything to us. We have managed to make a pretty mess all by our little selves. We are selfish. We want it all. We do not take responsibility.
If a person does not believe in God, for heaven's sake how can you blame that which you do not believe in? That makes no sense.

Life is not a game. If you feel life is a cruel game..look in the mirror. That is reality. Now you can make choices.

abu'muhammad

Assalamu alaykum,

Will he read the resourcive writings relating information on atheism ? Do please give him if that is so. Request him to read it.

Rebaz

I've had a lot of arguments lately with the ateist on different forums, all their attention are focused on islam right now, they try to bring it down six feet under earth but they fail because Allahs light will always be there and the truth will stand out. My own experience with most of them are following, they bring up a special subject in Islam, let's take one of the popular ones they like ''Islam is a religion of evil and dosen't give right to Women.'' just an example, after I've finished off their low knowledge in Islam they start to take up another subject in a negative way and the amazing part is...they never listen. Some of them know what they do though, have a lot of knowledge in Islam but they ignore the good facts instead they attack the parts to take down Islam and makes an illusion of the truth.

Stephen Hawking once said ''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.''
Something the islam-haters take advance of right now. But never give up hope, on your way with debating with the ateist you will surely enlighten some people that search the truth aswell.

"Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching." - Quran 16:125

:wasalam:

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

An Atheist analogically lives in a world which is same as that of foetus living enveloped by foetal membranes within womb of a mother.

Take it for granted,if a foetus is told about an external world that exists immediately outside of his/her mother's womb, for the foetus it would be just like a mystery and an unbelievable statement. Same is the case of an atheist, but the worst point about an atheist is that he/she refutes direct signs of Creator.

Regards.

g0lden

Thanks for all the great advice brothers and sisters. I understand that atheist choose not to listen, so are they even worth talking to when the subject comes up? They are like little children and don't want to do their homework.
Another sister got into an argument on Facebook with an atheist. I sent her a message and told her to be careful, because he is not going to listen, and might make you look false to Islam if you don't play your cards right.

Dawud

B.H.

I used to be an atheist and here are what I believe are their mistakes:

1. If something is not logical or appears illogical it is therefore wrong.

Their mistake: existence and reality are so complex, especially dealing with living people and creatures, to insist there be some simple rational cookie cutter (one size fits all) for it all is naive and dangerous and actually hinders ones understanding of the world.

2. Allah/God/Divine Being didn't do this or allows this to happen and I don't like it therefore he doesn't exist.

Fallacy: You assume just because Allah/God/Divine Being doesn't run the world the way you like or think or feel the way you do he doesn't exist. You also assume Allah/God/Supreme Being has to care about anything you think if he doesn't.

3. Science can't prove religion true so it isnt true. Fallacy: they assume science has progressed enough to be the arbiter of knowledge when it fact it may not be advanced enough to do what they claim. For example Lucius Varro came up with the germ theory of disease 200 years before Prophet Jesus. However, science was not advanced enough to create a microscope to see the small bacteria nor chemistry advanced enough to show they emit toxins bad for our bodies. Let's use an anology here. Let's say microscopes were still not invented yet nor chemistry still not advanced. Let's let a germ theory of disease believer be like a believer in Allah and the atheist be the equivalent of a person who doubts the germ theory of disease. The Atheist (person who does not believe germ theory of disease) says the person who believes in the germ theory of disease is wrong (the believer in Allah) because there is scientifically no proof for germs. No one has showed anyone a germ, no science tests can prove germs, therefore all illness is caused by something else, perhaps by the ox that looked at you with its head low--we can observe that an ox looked at you with its head low after all. Now, of course the germ theory of disease believer is right but the athiest is so trusting of science he does not realize science fails. It is science that does not have the means to prove what is the truth to in fact be true.

Keep in mind we did not have microscopes to see germs until around the late 1600's AD and chemistry did not advance to prove germs caused disease until the 1800's AD.

4. Athiests are hypocrites---they are critical of Allah because he does not do such and such to ease suffering or help the hungry in the name of love yet these very same atheists do not spend all of their money to save the starving or buy drugs for the sick, in essense it is in their power to do to some degree what they want Allah to do but will not do it. If Allah is not loving because he does not do away with suffering then they are not either because they do not do what they have in their power to do to stop it either.

B.H.

Another problem in dealing with atheists is the believers. Often times the believers, whether Muslim, Christian, or Jew do not argue for a divine being as their scriptures actually portray him as being. They let the atheists frame the perception of what Allah is like or should be like instead of arguing Allah is how he is his and does as he does.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
If Allah is not loving because he does not do away with suffering then they are not either because they do not do what they have in their power to do to stop it either.

Mashallah brother. I like your line of argument. If I borrow your argument and take it further, it can be said:

As the atheist uses the absence of love as a reason for the absence of God, based on the same argument, absence of love from the atheist should mean non-existence of the atheist himself.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
very cute observation brother Bawar:ma:
As the Quran says-"FI QULUBIHIM MARADDUN FAZADAHUM ULLAHU MARADA,WA LAHUM 'ADHABUN 'ALIMUN BIMA KANU YAKDIBUN"and "KHATAMA ALLAHU 'ALA QULUBIHIM WA 'ALA SAM'IHIM WA 'ALA ABSARIHIM GHISHAWATUN WA LAHUM 'ADHABUN 'ADHIM".
So brother,there are those people who will never admit thetruth neither if they see it wit their eyes
PS.I'm sorry if I made transliteration mistakes:wasalam:

B.H.

Mashallah brother. I like your line of argument. If I borrow your argument and take it further, it can be said:

As the atheist uses the absence of love as a reason for the absence of God, based on the same argument, absence of love from the atheist should mean non-existence of the atheist himself.

Very good, very good.

aisha16

A lot of atheists have this extreme hatred for God...as you mentioned above they say "oh no cruel God could do this..." that's there biggest argument or ONLY argument. Just talked about this today..pretty ironic...I wouldn't give them much time most are just in it for a debate. they wanna see you get riled up and doubt yourself..

tariq353

one nice email----

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed.
As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation.
They talked about so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said:
"I don't believe that God exists."

"Why do you say that?" asked the customer. "Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist.

Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people?
Would there be abandoned children?

If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain.

I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument.

The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop.

Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair .
He looked dirty and unkempt. The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber:

"You know what? Barbers do not exist."

"How can you say that?" asked the surprised barber.

"I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!"

"No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hairs like that man outside."

wa salam

abdul-aziz

you really shouldn't stress yourself too much. Since dawaa should be initiated but the realization and acceptance of the truth will not come to the person without hidayah from Allah.

The people of mecca at the time of the prophet, PBUH seen miracles on top of the miracle of the Quran. Yet they did like farawn "aba wa istakbar" discussed in surat an-naziat.

so in sha Allah, Allah will give you additional blessing for the attempt to lead someone to guidance who has arrogance.

g0lden

A lot of atheists have this extreme hatred for God...as you mentioned above they say "oh no cruel God could do this..." that's there biggest argument or ONLY argument. Just talked about this today..pretty ironic...I wouldn't give them much time most are just in it for a debate. they wanna see you get riled up and doubt yourself..

YES! It does seem like they just want to argue and see you get all riled up. You then look like you doubt your own faith. I just stop listening after a bit, then when they are done. I tell them my faith is strong, and will never give up Allah. That would be stupid of me.

one nice email----

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed.
As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation.
They talked about so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said:
"I don't believe that God exists."

"Why do you say that?" asked the customer. "Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist.

Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people?
Would there be abandoned children?

If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain.

I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument.

The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop.

Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair .
He looked dirty and unkempt. The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber:

"You know what? Barbers do not exist."

"How can you say that?" asked the surprised barber.

"I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!"

"No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hairs like that man outside."

wa salam

This is very funny. I really enjoyed that :)

you really shouldn't stress yourself too much. Since dawaa should be initiated but the realization and acceptance of the truth will not come to the person without hidayah from Allah.

The people of mecca at the time of the prophet, PBUH seen miracles on top of the miracle of the Quran. Yet they did like farawn "aba wa istakbar" discussed in surat an-naziat.

so in sha Allah, Allah will give you additional blessing for the attempt to lead someone to guidance who has arrogance.

Thanks for all the kind word.

arzafar

I think it all comes down to presenting God, Allah with all His attributes. This is strictly faith. A lot of people have a wrong definition of God, with imagery and idols coming to their mind when they hear the word God. So when doing dawa to anyone we should first clarify Allah and His most important attributes.

Then we can open the debate about the other aspect of islam. The key here is not to get involved in issues like rights of women, jihad etc. ...
What we should be looking to prove is that
1) Allah is the only true God
2) Islam is the only true religion

If you look at it closely, 2 implies 1. so really you have to prove that islam is the TRUTH. Notice you have to prove that islam is the truth and therefore avoid going into good, evil, morality etc. Keep the argument logical - based on verifiable true and false statements.

Now Islamic texts (quran and hadith) have two types of statements
1) testable - can be observed/whose truth value can be determined.
- waves in the oceans
- mountains holding the crust at rest
- other miracles and prophecies some of them are very specific like arab beduins competing in the construction of tall buildings!
- the existence of jinn (this one is tricky but if somebody is willing to spend some money and take risks, visit a pir/baba amongst indian/pakistani communities and pay them to show you some REAL tricks!)
2) untestable - cannot be observed right now/MUST be believed in.
- Allah
- Heaven and Hell
- Angels
- etc.

One by one we provide the athiest with all the statements from Quran and hadith that science and history have proven true. let us say that 70-80% of the statements from quraan and haidth have turned out to be 100% correct then logic says that the rest of the statements or 20-30% or so that deal purely with faith (whose truth value cant be determined) must also be correct! This is reasonable faith. At the end however, one has to have faith to be a Muslim. One becomes a Muslim not by logic but through well reasoned faith.