Hydroxyethyl cellulose

lightofnur

Assalammualaikum all.

My family member has just given me a body wash product which contains "hydroxyethyl cellulose" in it. I'm wary about anything that has the word "ethyl" in it, though, of course, I'm not looking at it chemically/observantly/etc. I know ethanol is not allowed, but I'm really not sure of "hydroxyethyl cellulose". I went to this website:

http://www.athalal.com/e-numbers-types.php?cat=13

but I don't get whether it is halal or not. More specifically, is Lifebuoy liquid bodywash halal or not? Please enlighten me on this?

P.S: The mods can delete this thread when I've gotten an answer and if they find it taking up space compared to the other important threads here.

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

In organic chemistry a chemical compound (identity) is recognized by last part of its IUPAC name. Here the compound is "hydroxyethyl cellulose" and hence the basic molecule or compound is cellulose and not any alcohol.

Regards.

lightofnur

Assalamu Alaikum:

In organic chemistry a chemical compound (identity) is recognized by last part of its IUPAC name. Here the compound is "hydroxyethyl cellulose" and hence the basic molecule or compound is cellulose and not any alcohol.

Regards.

Wa'alaikumussalam. Thanks very much for the clarification. I'm breathing a sigh of relief now. Just out of curiosity, is the Lifebuoy product generally halal? I've heard somewhere it may contain the haram type of alcohol.

LOL.

a petroleum based ethyl alcohol is not non-halal

Thanks for this.

bari

:salam2:

I guess we become to much concerned about any alcohol. Glycerine is alcohol but we use it! The KHAMR i.e. ethyl alcohol is forbidden to drink but you can use it on the skin as an anticeptic. Isopropyl or methyl alcohol are not khamr and infact if you drink these may kill you. Most important thing is drinking of khamr is Haram.

lightofnur

LOL sorry! I swear I didn't write "....." in the first place, I asked a question but then I quickly googled it so I was like oh nevermind! Lol sorry for the random post!

It's fine, it's fine. :)

:salam2:

I guess we become too much concerned about any alcohol. Glycerine is alcohol but we use it! The KHAMR i.e. ethyl alcohol is forbidden to drink but you can use it on the skin as an anticeptic. Isopropyl or methyl alcohol are not khamr and infact if you drink these may kill you. Most important thing is drinking of khamr is Haram.

Wa'alaikumussalam all.

Brother, actually there is an opinion on this. I'll paste it here:

"Ethyl Alcohol - Haraam

(it is mentioned in Muslim Food Guide (1420/200 edition) that Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is also impermissible as it is generated from the fermentation of sugars from cane, forming the intoxicating element of all fermented liquors)

Ethyl Alcohol is also used in many cosmetic agents both for men (Aftershave Lotion) and for female perfumes. Ethyl Alcohol is absorbed through the skin. It then passes through the flesh into the blood vessels and finally mixes with the blood and circulates throughout the body. Once in the blood it is as good as if one has ingested through the mouth. As a small quantity of any intoxicant is haram therefore, as mentioned earlier, all liquid cosmetic products containing Ethyl Alcohol are prohibited. Other names given to synthetic Ethyl Alcohol are, Ethanol, Methylated Spirits (contains 5 percent Methyl Alcohol and 95 percent Ethyl Alcohol). Products containing these ingredients therefore will also be prohibited.

http://www.albalagh.net/letters/synthetic_alcohols.shtml"

I'm not too sure what is the opinion for medicinal reasons. That I've got to check out. But, like above, there are reasons why it is not best to use that type of alcohol, even of an external surface.

Allah Knows best.

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam alaikum~

I was reading my shampoo info. and it said "something" alcohol. I didn't think it was haram to use...?

So basically is anything with alcohol haram to use on the body too?
JazakAllah khair

lightofnur

Salam alaikum~

I was reading my shampoo info. and it said "something" alcohol. I didn't think it was haram to use...?

So basically is anything with alcohol haram to use on the body too?
JazakAllah khair

Wa'alaikumussalam.

No, actually we can use certain alcohols. The ones which are forbidden, if I'm not wrong, are ethanol and/or ethyl alcohol. I'll get you a link on this. :)

lightofnur

Oh jazakAllah khairan sister! Thank youuu for the clarification!!

No problem. :) May Allah Bless you.

Oh, btw, I did find the link. I always follow the strongest opinion, so I'm not really fixed on a mazhab, for instance the one I'm leaning towards, Shafie'; since the majority in my country follow Shafie'.

According to the website this is based on Hanafi fiqh, and it seems to me rather sound.

http://www.ummahnews.co.uk/article.php?id=86

"The general rule on the use of alcohol based perfumes/deodrants, etc is that if the alcohol has been extracted from grapes or dates their use will be forbidden since this is Najis (impure) and will thus make the body and clothes impure. Only alcohol which is derived from dates and grapes is filthy and impermissible to use."

That being said, it is best to avoid as much as possible, because there are better alternatives out there. Allah Knows best. I myself am divided over this matter. :)