A couple generic questions running through my head...

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I've got a collection of questions here in my noggin that I haven't gotten around to asking. So here goes...!

1) During the silent salaat (dhuhr and asr) in congregation what am I suppose to be doing? I know I recite quietly the Al Fatihah, but what after that? I know that during the vocal salaat I am to be following the recitation as best I can, but when I don't hear the recitation should I recite to myself?

2) Saying "jazakAllah". I've been told by native Arabic speakers that saying "jazakAllah" by itself is poor grammar and is frowned upon. The correct way is "jazakAllah khair" (or any of the spelling variations thereof) which means "May ALLAH reward you for the good". Some have even gone so far as to imply saying "jazakAllah" alone could be interpreted as a curse. Thoughts?

3) Opening a conversation with the word "salaam" instead of the proper greeting of asalaamu alaikum. Its my understanding that our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam gave permission once to a woman to say "salaam" by itself because she had a speech impediment and saying the whole greeting was difficult for her. I don't know the hadith, so I can't quote it. But I've been instructed that saying simply "salaam" is about as lazy as saying simply "jazakAllah" and equally as bad in grammar.

4) Is it just me or is the word "hazrat" seriously one of the most over-used words on the planet? I know its an Arabic word that is rarely used by Arabic speakers, but I've actually closed out of websites and documents because the word appears so frequently that it makes the text impossible to read. Ok so that one isn't really a question, just more of an observation.

5) What is a Deobandi? Is that person within the fold of Islam? Are they considered "deviant"? Inquiring minds want to know!

That's enough for now...jazakAllah!

kidding...jazakAllah khair!

D

(p.s. don't think you have to answer ALL of these questions with each reply...if you know the answer to just one, alhamdulillah)

Hasan al Amriki

Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh brother Danyal.

1.) After reciting al-Fatihah, you are supposed to recite another Surah (or atleast 3 short ayats) in the first two Rakah (when doing the Fardh (obligatory part of) Asr and Zhur, and also for Fajr, Magreib, and Isha-if you are doing Salat by yourself).

And if you are doing the 4 Rak'ah of Sunnah (before Zhur, Asr, and Isha), then you will have to recite a Surah (or atleast 3 small Ayat) in all of the 4 Rak'ah (of Sunnah before Zhur, Asr, and Isha).

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Hi.

When I am able to attend the masjid during the regular workweek I would always stick with the simple suras to recite during the silent salat. Why, because I never know how long a silent recitation the imam would make. By simple I mean Nas or Asr. Sweet and simple and to the point. This way I could keep up with the congregation. And keep myself focused on salat.

Muslims are polite. We have to be. Remember Islam is hyperbole. We are always in the superlative. We can not abbreviate anything as we have to extend ourselves at any given moment. We will add adjectives and phrases after names for exactness and to always extend blessings. It like reading a hadeeth. The chains of narration get so long I forget what I was reading.

Hope this helps.

Hasan al Amriki

2.) Jazakallah Khayr is the proper way of saying "May Allah Jaza' (give/reward you) with Khayr (that which is good)." Jazakallah by itself sounds kind of weird to Arabs, and it's better not to get it into a habit.

Hasan al Amriki

3.) And Assalamu Aleykum is the best way of giving Salam, because if one just says, "Salam" instead of Assalamu Aleykum, then other people will think negative about them, that "this person doesn't know his religion" and so forth.

And brother Danyal, If you have trouble pronouncing the "mu" part in "Assalamu Aleykum," then I suggest that you make your lips more round like as if your saying "moo."

Hasan al Amriki

4.) Hazrat isn't Arabic, it's actually Persian (and other languages, such as Urdu, Dari & Pashto (Afghanistani) are derived from Persian).

Hazrat is the Persian/Urdu way of saying "Sheikh" LoL It is also used to refer to elders, scholars, Anbiyya, Sahabah, and Righteous people.

Hasan al Amriki

5.) Deobandis are not like the Goofy-Soofis who spin in Cinderalla dresses, they are quite (qwi-ght) the opposite.

They are also Muslims, and their Aqeedah isn't bad, it's just in some issues that their Aqeedah isn't so good, like that they beleive that a person's Iman only increases and doesn't decrease.

But most of their mistakes in Aqeedah aren't because of deviation, rather it's just from their lack of knowledge/understanding in some aspects. And that's why some of them follow the opinions of the Asharis.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

For number five to gain an understanding you have to do a little research on the socio-political events in India during the British Raj.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Asalaamu alaikum -

2) Saying "jazakAllah". I've been told by native Arabic speakers that saying "jazakAllah" by itself is poor grammar and is frowned upon. The correct way is "jazakAllah khair" (or any of the spelling variations thereof) which means "May ALLAH reward you for the good". Some have even gone so far as to imply saying "jazakAllah" alone could be interpreted as a curse. Thoughts?

wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

I just wanted to add a little to this point, since I recall it from what my teachers said (since I had not known it before then either).

What they mentioned then was that Jazaa' can be translated more correctly as "recompense" instead of "reward" ... meaning that, if a person says, "JazaakAllaah" it becomes like, 'May Allaah recompense you' - rather than the commonly thought of idea that it is 'reward'.

So according to them as well, it is always better to add 'khayr' at the end, to specify that this du`aa at the end is for good, rather than just a recompense.

It's late, I hope this makes sense :inshallah:

Allaahu A'lem

wasalaam

abu'muhammad

^ ^
Assalamu alaykum,

Indeed the above post benefitted me in a sense as being a non-english speaker. There remained some confusion for the meanings of some Arabic words into english. Being uncertain of what their nearest or sure meaning are. In urdu Jazaa means 'badla or badal'. And is not equal to reward exactly but if we add khayr to jazakAllaah it becomes a du'aa, just as respected teachers said. Jazaakillahu khayr.

I’m keeping the meanings of recompense for the benefit of non-english speakers and make something easy for the poster brother, who might as usually been looking for the dictionary meaning of ‘recompense’. . . Bit easy as all at a place, inshaAllaah.

Recompense - to return an equivalent of, to give in return, suitable return etc.

masihuddin

Inrespect of question #5 please note that in the Indian sub-continent the Sunni muslims are divideded in two groups namely Deobandi and Brelvi The deobandi beliefs are similar to that of the W

masihuddin

cONTINUED Wahabies of Saudi Arabia whereas the Brelvies beliefs are similar to that of the Sufies and show lot of respect and love for the Holy ProphetS.A.S. and his progeny Unlike Deobandies they celebrate the birtday of the Prophet S.A.S and recite Durud and Salam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
^^So Wahhabies of Saudi Arabia what if you find one in America what do you say Wahhabi of America??

'Abdul-Qaadir al-Jeelaani: If someone only greets you with the words "Salaam" then do not greet them back, rather let them know it's not an Islaamic greeting (i.e. they should instead say assalaamu alaikum) (Aadaab ash-Sharee'ah v. 1 p. 436)

msmoorad

mommys boy
5.) Deobandis are not like the Goofy-Soofis who spin in Cinderalla dresses, they are quite (qwi-ght) the opposite.

They are also Muslims, and their Aqeedah isn't bad, it's just in some issues that their Aqeedah isn't so good, like that they beleive that a person's Iman only increases and doesn't decrease.

But most of their mistakes in Aqeedah aren't because of deviation, rather it's just from their lack of knowledge/understanding in some aspects. And that's why some of them follow the opinions of the Asharis.

salaams to all

bro, you got to get your "facts" straight
im 100% Deobandi, hanafi TJ etc..
and i know we believe that a persons iman increases & decreases due to environment and many other factors that affect it.
ive been hearing this from ulama in Durban all my life and even while out with the TJ brothers and here you say we dont believe that a persons iman can decrease.
dangerous stuff indeed.

no hard feelings- just clarify the issue, please.
where did u get that story of yours?

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah