Dreaming of making hijra....

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum brothers and sisters....

Now before any moderator takes umbrage at me putting the word "dream" up there and deleting this post, in this case "dream" means to fantasize or to dwell on the subject.

Anyway.

As I've mentioned before repeatedly I've been trying to get out of the US at least for a bit. My dream was for Kuwait; I went there for a week last September after Ramadan and loved it. However, the American contracting companies I've applied for tend to only hire their relatives & close friends, while the Khaleeji companies & countries require high end degrees for even the most manual of labor, particularly from Americans. I can't get a job teaching English even WITH a TESL certification unless I have a degree as well, while Canadians and Brits just need the cert. One American expat who has a page on YouTube offers advice to folks wanting to come to Kuwait, but when he found out I had no degree he stopped replying to my emails. I thought about studying, but even Saudi Arabia will not even consider you for a scholarship if you're over the age of 25.

The hadith says that the dua of 3 types of people are never rejected: the oppressed, the traveler, and the fasting person (other narrations say a parent for their child). I made dua as a traveler & while fasting that I can make hijra (among other subjects). So far, finding a job & a home overseas is the ONLY dua that to date has not been answered.

Not long after I became Muslim our masjid hired an imam who was one of the best I've ever met. He is Palestinian by birth but has his home in Jordan. I learned so much from him in the year and half he was at our masjid, but when he left for Hajj last year he decided not to return to us but go home to his family in Jordan instead.

His son is a friend of mine and recently we were chatting on Facebook. The son told me that he and his father both recommend me coming to Jordan instead of Kuwait. The son said he could easily find me a job & a place to live. He said he knows many Americans living there who are studying Arabic and working - even simple jobs like working in a restaurant and these expats are happy and content. He (the son) told me to make niyyah & leave the rest to ALLAH.

I tried to talk to my mother about this, but even though she supports Islam as a "beautiful religion" she doesn't really support anything I do because of it, ie giving up my previous lifestyle, trying to get married, wearing thobes & lehya, and now apparently making hijra. She claims I have a case of "the grass is always greener" syndrome.

I live in one of the most depressed cities in the US, Sacramento. Its hard finding a job here, as much of the population can attest to. I have no family here though I do have a network of friends and a good Muslim community (heavily Sufi, like much of the West Coast). However I have no problem selling everything I own - including my house, the only riba I am still paying - and leaving for a bit. The only thing I have that would slow me is my parrot Pooka. He's like my child, however most of the countries I've looked into will allow me to bring him as long as he leaves with me when I go.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here....advice? Encouragement? An alternate view point? Allahu alim.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum
brother ill make dua for u may ALlah (swt) bless u for ur intention it is indeed a beautiful intention and ur working hard towards it dont worry with difficulty comes ease

UmmIsaiah

Assalamu alaikum

Well I can not say that I can offer a different view on your situation as I myself have wanted to leave us even before I took shahada. Before I learned of Islam I couldnt really tell you why I wanted to leave I just knew I wasnt really at peace here now I understand why. I am sorry that I can not offer any advise as to what to do to enable you to leave as I am still here myself and for me leaving would be dependant upon finding a husband that could leave. Any way I guess my point for responding is to say it maybe that through you being here Allah will bring some benefit to you or another. May Allah make things easy for you amin.

bari

:salam2:

Do you want to learn arabic and for that reson you want to make Hijra? As my very little knowledge goes, the best country to learn arabic is Yemen but at this time you can not go there. Jordan will be ok but remember arabic and classical arabic has big differnce. You will not be able to pick up classical arabic unless taught by people knowledgeable about it. If you really want to learn arabic, you do not need to make hijra, America has good number of institutions who can teach you. Come to east coast i.e. make hira to east coast.

Almaas

Asalaamu alaikum brothers and sisters....

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here....advice? Encouragement? An alternate view point? Allahu alim.

Wa'alaykum asalaam, wa'rahmutullah.

I agree with the sis above, go for it, what have you got to lose? You're clearly not enjoying your current lifestyle as much as you could potentially do so in Jordan.

And I know I say this a lot, but it's such a simple solution; do Istekhara bro.

DanyalSAC

Do you want to learn arabic and for that reson you want to make Hijra? As my very little knowledge goes, the best country to learn arabic is Yemen but at this time you can not go there. Jordan will be ok but remember arabic and classical arabic has big differnce. You will not be able to pick up classical arabic unless taught by people knowledgeable about it. If you really want to learn arabic, you do not need to make hijra, America has good number of institutions who can teach you. Come to east coast i.e. make hira to east coast.

That is not "why" I want to make hijra, but that is part of what I want to do if I can get out of the US. And you are right, the US has many institutions and they all charge an astronomical fee.

My friend has told me there are many American expats living in Jordan who are studying Arabic - and I'm sure he didn't mean "Jordanese" or the local dialect.

I've read biographies on big named converts; I know that Yusef Estes went to Yemen to learn Arabic, and Suhaib Webb's schooling was all paid for by the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. Unfortunately I don't have big sponsors so I gotta go where I can go.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Assalamu alaykum, this is incorrect. Jordanians are perhaps the most educated of all the Arabs.. The Jordanian dialect is close to the fus7a, and the people speak the best Arabic in the region. - Also most people speak English.

arzafar

purely from an Islamic POV, whenever a muslim gets a chance to make hijra they should. Also Jordan is the land of prophets and scholars so i think you should go ahead before the chance goes by.

DanyalSAC

Ok update to this...

I made my niyyah (intention), prayed Istakhara, and found a company in Jordan similar to the one I've worked at for 12 years here in the US so submitted my cover letter & resume (or CV as some call it).

Make dua for me!

jazakAllah khair!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Asalaamu alaikum akhi no I did not! Alhamdulillah! Got a sofa I can crash on?

Kidding of course, but that makes it all the more interesting!

Wa alaykum salam,

Haha I wish I had a sofa. Its very difficult to make hijrah, not easy. I am in same situation, and took the plunge.. Jordan is a poor country.

With regards to some of the things you mentioned before, then I have to say that you got to know that the Muslim countries are not what we might dream them to be.. and the people also. Good people are very very few.

I hope that you can live in Jordan, I would recommend it... and would love to meet you.

The issue is how to make a long-term life out here.. Its very expensive. Everything is expensive! Rent, Food, Cars, Healthcare.. Its more expensive than London. People have no humanity either, because vast majority have very low incomes, or even have no jobs.. But, the prices are unfairly placed high. - This is due to the mentality of the people, unfortunately.

Many of those who are wealthy, create their wealth via haram or not so ethical means. . . The only positive is if a person can make their own way, not being dependent on other people, keeping a few trusted friends -- and being very careful with who you spend time with.

Its a safe country, its also exceptionally beautiful. But, a person either has to have a lot of patience or be extremely patient. - I have been to nearly every country in the Middle East, and I like Jordan the most.

At same time, lets remember that it is Allah who provides and can help His slaves!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Ok update to this...

I made my niyyah (intention), prayed Istakhara, and found a company in Jordan similar to the one I've worked at for 12 years here in the US so submitted my cover letter & resume (or CV as some call it).

Make dua for me!

jazakAllah khair!

assalamu alaykum,

MashaAllah thats great, good luck brother, May Allah make it easy for you.

DanyalSAC

Wa alaykum salam,

Haha I wish I had a sofa. Its very difficult to make hijrah, not easy. I am in same situation, and took the plunge.. Jordan is a poor country.

With regards to some of the things you mentioned before, then I have to say that you got to know that the Muslim countries are not what we might dream them to be.. and the people also. Good people are very very few.

I hope that you can live in Jordan, I would recommend it... and would love to meet you.

The issue is how to make a long-term life out here.. Its very expensive. Everything is expensive! Rent, Food, Cars, Healthcare.. Its more expensive than London. People have no humanity either, because vast majority have very low incomes, or even have no jobs.. But, the prices are unfairly placed high. - This is due to the mentality of the people, unfortunately.

Many of those who are wealthy, create their wealth via haram or not so ethical means. . . The only positive is if a person can make their own way, not being dependent on other people, keeping a few trusted friends -- and being very careful with who you spend time with.

Its a safe country, its also exceptionally beautiful. But, a person either has to have a lot of patience or be extremely patient. - I have been to nearly every country in the Middle East, and I like Jordan the most.

At same time, lets remember that it is Allah who provides and can help His slaves!

Thank you brother for your post. I've heard similar stories about the rareness of good people in those countries. A friend from Saudi told me about how poorly a brother from Canada was treated by the locals when he came to do Umrah. He said the Canadian was treated so badly that he actually cried several times when he went back to their hotel room. I was warned when I went to Kuwait that I would run into a lot of arrogance; however I felt I was rather taken for granted. I wasn't treated differently, just like another cow in the herd.

My one concern is what you say about the price of living. I've looked into it and it is astronomical - a house my size of there goes for about three times the price of mine.

But...its up to ALLAH if its to be...!

salah_khan

Asalamualikum

Assalaamu'alikum Brother Danyal,

I pray that Allaah makes your path easy and grant you happiness where ever you live.

I have lived all my life in Saudi Arabia and I can only speak of my country as I haven't been to Kuwait or Jordan.

Saudi is a place to live, Makkah and Medina are two greatest blessing one can get apart from numerous other blessings of being able to live in an Islamic State (I mean a close to being an Islamic State) as Alcohol, cinemas and Night clubs are banned in the country and women cover up from head to toe mashaAllaah.

Also, many people have problems with saudi people being rude and arrogant towards foreigners, generally they are good and generous people but sometimes you get short tempered arabs that may annoy you, but once you are in that land you will over look such things. The food is very cheap plus all the living expenses are reasonable, It shouldn't be very hard for an American citizen to find a job, I know many students from Uk have gone for teaching job which pays quite a decent salary. besides teaching you can go there for business with an investor visa.

I can guide you through if you plan to migrate to saudi inshaAllaah.
may Allaah facilitate your path, Ameen

BarakAllaah feek
Salah

DanyalSAC

Assalaamu'alikum Brother Danyal,

I pray that Allaah makes your path easy and grant you happiness where ever you live.

I have lived all my life in Saudi Arabia and I can only speak of my country as I haven't been to Kuwait or Jordan.

Saudi is a place to live, Makkah and Medina are two greatest blessing one can get apart from numerous other blessings of being able to live in an Islamic State (I mean a close to being an Islamic State) as Alcohol, cinemas and Night clubs are banned in the country and women cover up from head to toe mashaAllaah.

Also, many people have problems with saudi people being rude and arrogant towards foreigners, generally they are good and generous people but sometimes you get short tempered arabs that may annoy you, but once you are in that land you will over look such things. The food is very cheap plus all the living expenses are reasonable, It shouldn't be very hard for an American citizen to find a job, I know many students from Uk have gone for teaching job which pays quite a decent salary. besides teaching you can go there for business with an investor visa.

I can guide you through if you plan to migrate to saudi inshaAllaah.
may Allaah facilitate your path, Ameen

BarakAllaah feek
Salah

JazakAllah khair brother; I've wanted to make hijira to Saudi as well but its out of the question for me as an American unless I have at the least a Masters degree or I'm under 25.