tattoo

trudi

any advice on tattoos please. especially for reverts who had them long before they found Islam.. and now am very unsure ... do i need to remove ? thanks .:SMILY176:

Idris16

She has a tattoo from before she was Muslim

She has a tattoo from before she was Muslim​
Praise be to Allaah.

Praise be to Allaah Who has guided you to His Straight Path. I ask Allaah to make you steadfast in following it. As for this tattoo which cannot be removed except through this kind of surgery, you do not have to do this, because it is too difficult and will cause pain and hurt. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning);

“… and [Allaah] has not laid upon you in religion any hardship…” [al-Hajj 22:78]. Your regret and dislike of that, and your determination never to do it again is sufficient. Also, Islam wipes out what came before, so in this case leaving it as it is should not cause you any harm, in sha Allaah. May Allaah help you to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/5452/tattoo

trudi

thank you so much, that is what i thought but its nice to hear from another muslim,,, thank you .

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I also have tattoos sister. I have been told many times that when you convert to Islam all of your past sins are not held against you. Unless your tattoo is a fitnah, like a naked woman or a satanic star, haha, then I wouldnt worry.

But the link above which brother Idris posted, is what I would have referred to as well. The opinion on tattoos is pretty much unanimous.

MY concern was can I be buried in a Muslim cemetery? You know, if a Jew gets a tattoo, he/she cannot be buried in a Jewish cemetery, But I have been reassured that I can be buried in a Muslim cemetery.

RawTruth

MY concern was can I be buried in a Muslim cemetery? You know, if a Jew gets a tattoo, he/she cannot be buried in a Jewish cemetery, But I have been reassured that I can be buried in a Muslim cemetery.

I don't see why not! The only ones in the community who need to know of a tattoo is your husband and Allah. It really is no one else's concern.
:tti_sister:

Maghreb-United

What about henna tattoos ? are they allowed ?

Many Arabs use them as a marriage rite/ custom

:p and since they are not permanent i think they might be permissible :)

hehehe :muslim_child:

alf2

Islam is a way of life

Henna tattoos are temporary and do not permanently mark teh body.

trudi

thank you all so much... it is one of them things when i did have them done not for 1 minute did i ever think i would become a muslim... Alhumdulillah and no, one is a dolphin and the other a shamrock, so thanks again for taking the time to reply... i did not know that about jewish people see i like this forum you learn some thing new every day and i really must get up to speed with all the sayings, Allah willing i will get better and better .

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Assalamu alaykum,

Using Henna is not tattoo. - Tattoos are forbidden due to their very nature of piercing the skin with needles and leaving permanent marks.

The use of Henna is allowed and Muslims widely use it, for dying hair and also women use it for skin decoration.

assalamu alaykum

John Smith

Sorry for the bump but.

Just a quick question; are men allowed tattoos in islam? can muslim men go out and get their arm tattooed?

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Sorry for the bump but.

Just a quick question; are men allowed tattoos in islam? can muslim men go out and get their arm tattooed?

Sunnah is for men to use henna for their hair and beard. tattooing is kind of an "art" and decorations and beautifying oneself is really the department of women and men.

If you are not thinking of henna but actual real tattoos then no, they are haram for everybody. You body is a loan to you from Allah, are you going to give it back with graffiti all over it?

septithol

Banned
Question here: I have heard of people who get tattoos not for decorative, but for medical reasons. For instance, a tattoo informing that they are diabetic, as diabetics may become unconscious if they get too much or too little sugar or insulin, and it is very useful if someone coming on them unconscious knows this. Other people may get a tattoo instructing that they are not to be revived in the case of a heart attack or stroke.

Are such medical tattoos forbidden by Islam? What about tattoos with identification numbers that some pet owners have put in the ear of their pet to identify them if they are lost?

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Question here: I have heard of people who get tattoos not for decorative, but for medical reasons. For instance, a tattoo informing that they are diabetic, as diabetics may become unconscious if they get too much or too little sugar or insulin, and it is very useful if someone coming on them unconscious knows this. Other people may get a tattoo instructing that they are not to be revived in the case of a heart attack or stroke.

Are such medical tattoos forbidden by Islam? What about tattoos with identification numbers that some pet owners have put in the ear of their pet to identify them if they are lost?

You don't really need those kind of stuff today. Something like an RF chips or bracelets or necklaces can easily do the same thing. Same thing with dog collars.

diabetes-awareness-bracelets.gif

siliconearm.jpg

2b26e_diabetic_bracelet_2181246981_ab962aed5d.jpg

free%20diabetes%20bracelet.jpg

medical-id-tag296X299.jpg

CR1310C.jpg

black_circle_fb_sm.jpg

ShyHijabi

:salam2:

In the cases you mentioned it would be preferable (even from a medical POV) to get a bracelet. However, there are medical tattoos given to patients undergoing long term radiation treatments. But they are very tiny, usually dots, that tell where the machine is to align. I've read a fatwa that these are permitted. Besides, unless you know how or where to look they aren't visible to most people.

John Smith

Could someone be kind enough to put up a link regarding tattoos being haram for men.

As for the giving back your body with graffiti all over it,i think some tattoo's are a work of art.

Im not trying to justify tattoo's as i know they are forbidden for women but not read any specifics about men.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
As salamo alaikome

Very nicely said sister!

:hijabi:

:wasalam:

jazakallahu khair :)

Thanks buddy...i have come across the hadith but once again,im looking for specifics,especially about men.

Brother the hadith mention women because it is something the women engage in, trying to beautify themselves. It is unheard of men doing it. But now we see this in the west being done by the men as well. But even in the west it is not something that is looked upon positively from the general population, in fact it was and may still be considered an act of deviance.

The hadith equally applies to men and anyone who plans to do tattoo because it involves changing the creation of Allaah.If you start asking for "specifics" the know that is what the lead the people of the Book go astray, they were nit picking to get out of things they didn't' want to do.

You said that hadith mentions women, here's one talking in general.

It was narrated that Abu Juhayfah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos, the one who has a tattoo done, the one who consumes riba (usury or interest) and the one who pays it, and he forbade the price of a dog and the earnings of a prostitute, and he cursed the image-makers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5032).

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
even though most muslims know about the prohibition of tattoos in islam, let me post this:

“The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos, the one who has a tattoo done, the one who consumes riba (usury or interest) and the one who pays it, and he forbade the price of a dog and the earnings of a prostitute, and he cursed the image-makers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5032).

this is a personal topic for me, because i have three tattoos. i never let anyone see them, because i repented for having ever had them done. sometimes it even makes me hesitant to even go on hajj, because i don't want people seeing me in ihram and having these noxious tattoos on my body. if i had the means to remove them, i most likely would, yet again, the scarring from the removal and the pain is an issue as well. i'm more embarrassed about mine because two of them are images of a lion and a woman. i regret it daily, even though the artwork is beautiful. and now when people tell me they want tattoos are try to discourage them or at least express my regret about ever having had them.