Is this discrimination?

jonas1993

Banned
I lived in USA and South Africa for a time...

And I had a friend who is Palestinian who got a job at a grocery store. He is Muslim and when they asked him to sell alcohol he said he would not sell it as it violated his beliefs. And he got fired.. I would think that is discrimination. But his manager said no it is not as he has to preform his job tasks regardless of being Muslim.

Am I right or wrong? I would have hoped that he would have been excused from selling Pork and Alcohol as it violated his beliefs.

ayesha.ansari

well, i am not dead sure about this, but being a Muslimg, if you are concern with things which give wrong and harram concept, or based on harram, they are not allowed in Islam, and you are good to leave and no more continues,, he did good, as being a Muslim.

jonas1993

Banned
thank you!

Thank you!

And If anybody who maybe knows about those laws can tell me.. Am I right based on my feeling and opinion that he was unfairly discriminated against?

Considering

I lived in USA and South Africa for a time...

And I had a friend who is Palestinian who got a job at a grocery store. He is Muslim and when they asked him to sell alcohol he said he would not sell it as it violated his beliefs. And he got fired.. I would think that is discrimination. But his manager said no it is not as he has to preform his job tasks regardless of being Muslim.

In the U.S. this would not be discrimination. I am not a lawyer, but I can give you a similar example.

I once interviewed someone who said he absolutely could not work on Sunday (he didn't state his faith but he presumably was a strict Christian). Part of the job involved being on-call once every four or five weeks, for the entire week. If an issue had come up on Sunday, he would have had to work.

Our HR department said that we could either (a) say that he was not qualified because he could not perform the work, or (b) hire him and change the schedule somewhat so he would not be on-call on Sunday.

Your friend knew that the store sold alcohol before he applied for the job. Therefore, if he refuses to sell alcohol, it's not discrimination if they refuse to hire him or terminate him.

Let me put it another way...let us suppose your friend had no religion at all, but just didn't like alcohol and refused to sell it. He could be fired on that basis because it's an obvious part of working in that store. Same thing if he decided no one should eat cheese and he refused to sell it, or if he thought candy was bad and refused to sell it, etc.

Strange as it may seem, religion actually doesn't have anything to do with this.

At least, that's the U.S. perspective.

JenGiove

:salam2:

Considering,

Here's the question though.....DID they sell alcophol at the time of his hire or was it a new product? If it was a new product, then I would think that it was discrimination.

masihuddin

If someone does not fulfill the job requirements naturally he cannot hold the job there is no discrimination involved in this

irfan.yousuf

:salam2: Brothers and Sisters
What he did is true to his beliefs, however every one who works in a non-muslim country should know that he has to face such circumstances. He should join such stores and shops which do not sell prohibitives or he should change his profession. May Allah save his Iman.

Irfan Yousuf

jonas1993

Banned
hired

when he was hired they did not sell alcohol because it was against that states law at the time... but the store pushed the state to exempt them to sell alcohol and then they started to sell it..