Customs with the mus'haf

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

Tonight I was sitting with the hafiz teacher at my masjid. After sitting on the floor for a while I decided to pull a chair up. The hafiz got a bit incensed and told me to move the chair further away because there were Quran copies nearby. He kept telling me “further, move it further”. I told him that later he would have to explain this to me. Later after salaat (he was imam for isha) he came up to me and started talking about “adhab” and listing things that I shouldn’t do with a mus’haf: I shouldn’t sit “above” it (in a chair higher than it), I can’t sit it on the floor, I can’t sit with my feet facing a mus’haff, etc. Finally I asked him “What’s the daleel on all this?” and he got very upset. He asked, “What is your daleel for using a cell phone??” I said “this isn’t related to Islam”.

To make a long story short, I didn’t really get an answer. Can someone tell me is there a basis for these habits? Is there something behind them? I could appreciate any help in this… thank you!
JazakAllah khair

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

bro, i dnt knw abt the daleels of these customs but we have adaab also in Islam.

eg we dnt have anything in Islam as not to face our feet towards Kaaba but still we dont. its about honouring the symbols of Allah.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
I made the mistake of putting the Qu'ran on the floor the first time I was reading it at the masjid and was very quickly corrected. I didn't mean to, but I didn't know that it was bad. I've only been a Muslim for 3 weeks.

Of course, now I know, and I try to avoid doing it.

hana*

its just a matter of treating the words of Allah with utmost respect i.e. by not placing the Quran on the ground or near the feet- logic

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

What is the ruling on putting the Qur’aan on the prayer mat?

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no difference of opinion among the scholars concerning the fact that the Qur’aan must be respected and protected.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is obligatory to protect and respect the Mus-haf.

Al-Majmoo’ (2/85).

The Muslim should not go to extremes in respecting the Qur’aan. People have gone to extremes in this matter and have made it too burdensome, as it was narrated that one of them said: “For thirty years I have not entered a room in which there is a Mus-haf without having wudoo’.” And if one of them is in a room in which there is a Mus-haf he would not sleep all night lest he break wind in a room in which there is a Mus-haf!

These actions are clearly contrary to the way of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions (may Allaah be pleased with them). They lived in small, cramped rooms, but that did not prevent them from sleeping in their houses, or having intercourse with their wives, or staying without wudoo’ for a while, even though there were Mus-hafs in their houses. When the Qur’aan was collected, it was kept in the houses of many of them.

There were no shelves in the mosque of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or the mosques of the Sahaabah on which to place the pages of the Mus-hafs, and papers containing knowledge. Hence what matters here is whether this is regarded as disrespectful or not. Hence there is nothing wrong with putting it on clean ground for one who needs to do that – such as if he wants to do the prostration of recitation (sujood al-tilaawah).

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Sincerity towards the Book of Allaah includes not putting it in places where it will be treated with disrespect, or where putting it there is a kind of disrespect towards it, such as a place where garbage is put and the like. Hence it is essential to avoid doing what some children do when they finish their studies, when they throw their books which may contain part of the Qur’aan in the streets or in the garbage and so on. Allaah forbid.

As for putting the Qur’aan on clean ground, there is nothing wrong with that, because this is not disrespecting the Qur’aan or mistreating it. It often happens that a person is praying or reading from the Mushaf and he wants to prostrate, so he puts it down in front of him. This is not regarded as disrespect or mistreatment of the Mus-haf, so there is nothing wrong with it.

Sharh Riyadh al-Saaliheen (1/423), Dar Ibn al-Haytham, hadeeth no. 181.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him) was asked:

What is the ruling on putting the Qur’aan on the clean ground or on the prayer mat?

He replied:

It is better to put it in a high place so that it will be exalted in both the literal and metaphorical sense. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Exalted (in dignity), purified” [‘Abasa 80:14].

If you need to put it down, then put it down in a place that is raised up, even if only a little. If that is not possible then it is permissible to put it on the ground, on a clean carpet and the like. The Qur’aan should not be put down in a low place or a place that is impure or on the dirt, because that is showing disrespect towards it. But if a person needs to put it down on a clean carpet, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as one is keen to exalt it both literally and metaphorically.

Fataawa Islamiyyah (4/15).

Based on that, if the mat is clean and it is unlikely that children or others will mess about with the Mus-haf, there is nothing wrong with putting the Mus-haf on it, but putting it in a higher place is better.

And Allaah knows best.

IslamQA

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuuhu

Dear brother, here is the rulling about placing Quran on the floor.

Inshallah that it be benefical for you. It is exlained by Schoolars of Islaam that it is alowed to place Quran on the floor Alhmadulilah ( as long as the floor is clean) as that is not any form of desrespect toward Quran although is better to keep Quran on higher place , and Allah knows the best.

What Is The Ruling On Putting The Qur’aan On The Prayer Mat?

ANSWER:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no difference of opinion among the scholars concerning the fact that the Qur’aan must be respected and protected.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Quote:
The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is obligatory to protect and respect the Mus-haf.

Al-Majmoo’ (2/85).

The Muslim should not go to extremes in respecting the Qur’aan. People have gone to extremes in this matter and have made it too burdensome, as it was narrated that one of them said: “For thirty years I have not entered a room in which there is a Mus-haf without having wudoo’.” And if one of them is in a room in which there is a Mus-haf he would not sleep all night lest he break wind in a room in which there is a Mus-haf!

These actions are clearly contrary to the way of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions (may Allaah be pleased with them). They lived in small, cramped rooms, but that did not prevent them from sleeping in their houses, or having intercourse with their wives, or staying without wudoo’ for a while, even though there were Mus-hafs in their houses. When the Qur’aan was collected, it was kept in the houses of many of them.

There were no shelves in the mosque of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or the mosques of the Sahaabah on which to place the pages of the Mus-hafs, and papers containing knowledge. Hence what matters here is whether this is regarded as disrespectful or not. Hence there is nothing wrong with putting it on clean ground for one who needs to do that – such as if he wants to do the prostration of recitation (sujood al-tilaawah).

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Quote:
Sincerity towards the Book of Allaah includes not putting it in places where it will be treated with disrespect, or where putting it there is a kind of disrespect towards it, such as a place where garbage is put and the like. Hence it is essential to avoid doing what some children do when they finish their studies, when they throw their books which may contain part of the Qur’aan in the streets or in the garbage and so on. Allaah forbid.

As for putting the Qur’aan on clean ground, there is nothing wrong with that, because this is not disrespecting the Qur’aan or mistreating it. It often happens that a person is praying or reading from the Mushaf and he wants to prostrate, so he puts it down in front of him. This is not regarded as disrespect or mistreatment of the Mus-haf, so there is nothing wrong with it.

Sharh Riyadh al-Saaliheen (1/423), Dar Ibn al-Haytham, hadeeth no. 181.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him) was asked:

What is the ruling on putting the Qur’aan on the clean ground or on the prayer mat?

He replied:

Quote:
It is better to put it in a high place so that it will be exalted in both the literal and metaphorical sense. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Exalted (in dignity), purified” [‘Abasa 80:14]. If you need to put it down, then put it down in a place that is raised up, even if only a little. If that is not possible then it is permissible to put it on the ground, on a clean carpet and the like. The Qur’aan should not be put down in a low place or a place that is impure or on the dirt, because that is showing disrespect towards it. But if a person needs to put it down on a clean carpet, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as one is keen to exalt it both literally and metaphorically.

Fataawa Islamiyyah (4/15).

Based on that, if the mat is clean and it is unlikely that children or others will mess about with the Mus-haf, there is nothing wrong with putting the Mus-haf on it, but putting it in a higher place is better.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Ruling on worshippers stretching out their legs in the direction of the mushafs

After praying, some worshippers stretch out their legs in front of them torelax them, but there are usually Mus-hafs (copies of the Qur aan) in front ofthem. I heard a fatwa by Ibn Taymiyah concerning this but I cannot remember it. Could you tell us the ruling on doing this?

Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is obligatory to protect and respect the Mus-haf. Al-Majmoo by al-Nawawi, 2/84.

Stretching out one's legs towards the Mus-haf is a kind of bad manners. Hence a number of scholars were of the view that this action is makrooh, and some said that it is haraam. It says in al-Bahr al-Raa iq (2/36) ‒ which is one of the books of the Hanafi madhhab ‒ : It is makrooh for a person to stretch out his legs when sleeping or at any other time towards the Mus-haf or books of fiqh, unless the books are on a higher level than him.

It says in al-Iqnaa (1/62) ‒ which is one of the books of the Hanbali madhhab ‒ : It is makrooh to stretch out the legs in that direction (the direction of the Mus-haf); similarly it is makrooh to turn one's back to it or step over it. Ibn Muflih said in al-Adaab al-Shar iyyah (2/285)

It is also makrooh to lay one's head on the Mus-haf… Ibn Hamdaan was of the view that it is haraam and that is stated definitively in al-Mughni. That applies also to all books of knowledge in which Quraan is quoted, otherwise it is merely makrooh. Similarly it is makrooh to stretch out the legs towards any of those books. The Hanafis said that it is makrooh, because they contain the names of Allaah, and it is bad manners. Some of the Shaafa were also of the view that it is haraam, as stated in Tuhfat al-Muhtaaj, 1/155.

Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: In the mosques the Mus-hafs are placed on stands, and some people sit down and stretch out their legs, and they may be pointed towards these stands, with the feet close to them or underneath them. If the one who is sitting like this does not intend any disrespect towards the Mus-haf, does he have to move his legs away from the Mus-hafs, or move the Mus-hafs to another place? Should we denounce the one who does that?

He replied: Undoubtedly respecting the Book of Allaah is part of perfect faith and veneration of one's Lord, may He be exalted. Stretching out one's legs towards the Mus-haf or towards the stands where there are Mus-hafs, or sitting on a chair or on a table under which there is a Mus-haf goes against having proper respect for the Word of Allaah. Hence the scholars said that it is makrooh for a person to stretch out his legs towards the Mus-haf, even if his intention is sound and good. But if he intends to show disrespect towards the Word of Allaah, then it is kufr, because the Quraan is the Word of Allaah. If you see anyone stretching out his legs towards theMus-haf, whether it is on a stand or on the ground, or you see someone sitting on something and there is a Mus-haf underneath it, you should remove the Mus-haf from in front of his feet or from beneath the chair on which he is sitting, or you should tell him, Don't stretch out your legs towards the Mus-haf; respect the Word of Allaah. The evidence for that is what I have mentioned about it going against proper respect for the Word of Allaah. If a man whom you respect is in front of you, you would not stretch out your legs towards him, out of respect for him, and the Book of Allaah is more deserving of respect. Majmoo Fataawa Ibn Uthaymeen, vol. 3.

And Allaah knows best.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Imagine a person who has a job interview, they are careful in how they look, sit and interact with their potential bosses. When people are with those they really respect and want to please, they do all they can to have a certain "adaab". They try not to make any bad jokes, to be patient, to sit straight and not slouch, to not offend the other person. - To make a great first impression. Nobody who seriously wants to get the job are going to put their feet on the table.

As Muslims we have a lot of pride in Islam and more respect for Allah and all things related to the Deen (including the holy Quran, the Prophets, even the other holy books such as the bible and the torah ) than we have for our own parents.

In a lot of Islamic cultures, people have immense respect for all books. Children are raised not to throw any books, or to not play / disrespect food etc Though there is no direct evidence instructing us to not throw books etc, but, in general its a good idea to have a certain level of respect for such things, and there is evidence from Quran and Sunnah for that. The general ayaat in the Quran that mention the blessings we have and to ponder those, and the instructions for being humble, patient etc There are also specific instructions in the Quran and Sunnah, such as the hadith where Muslims are instructed not to relieve themselves in the direction of the qiblah. That we use our right hand for good things such as eating, or giving and receiving items to other people, and left for cleaning etc. Respecting elders, teachers, the food we have etc.

So altogether, this is what is known as Adaab.

Islamic Manners. Depending on the culture, some people are raised at different levels than others. It can also be kind of daunting or strange for those new to Islam. i.e. Its seen as being disrespectful to sit with your legs stretched out and feet pointing at others... particularly if they are elder and respected members of society. And of course, people also do not like to sit pointing their feet at the Qiblah, or the Quran.

It's also a posture that is seen as not befitting a "respectable person" like a student of knowledge etc.

We may sit inadvertently like so, and there is no sin on us. But, if the thought comes across our mind, "hey, i'm sitting and my feet are pointing at the Quran".. then why shouldn't we change and sit in another way? This is where Shaitan puts pride in a person's heart and with excuses such as "well, its not "wrong", so why not?" - Some scholars have said this is wrong and a sin, others class it as disliked but not a sin. The issue here is about respect. If we are to place the Quran with books, the Quran is always going to be on the top, never placed below anything, even reading glasses.

Like what is mentioned before, there some things which are just good manners, and not necessarily instructed by Islam. We should learn what is from Islam and abide by those, and other things which are not contrary to our Deen and are reasonable, we should do our best to understand and abide by, especially if it is offending to other people i.e. the elderly of our communities.

I remember one incident in the UK a few years ago. The brothers in a masjid were adamant to pray in the mosque with their shoes. - The masjid Imam and elders had told the brothers to remove their shoes before entering the prayer area. - The brothers proceeded to bring evidence where the Prophet (s) and his companions had prayed with their shoes on the carpet.

Disregarding the rules for this particular mosque, some brothers entered the mosque with their shoes and prayed... infuriating the masjid elders. This is a real example of disregard for Islamic adaab and a total lack of understanding of Islamic principles. This is extremism, which in Arabic is called "Ghuloo".

People act like this, and then they wonder why there is friction between young and old, etc

There is time, place and wisdom in carrying out the Sunnah.

As long as people dont go into any extremes.

Finally I asked him “What’s the daleel on all this?” and he got very upset.

I think it be wise to apologise to him, inshaAllah. Asking for daleel is right for things that are construed as being from Islam. If someone said you are "sinning" by pointing your feet at the Quran, or towards the Qibla, then by all means object and ask for Daleel. But, otherwise, its good to just make the slight change to keep things peaceful, afterall, we hold our Islam highly in our hearts. We know Allah is watching and out of our love for Him, we will do our best to clear our hearts and minds and that of other people around us, of any such thoughts.

Wasalamu alaykum.

hassana elkoussi

As-salamu alykum brother,

The daleel for ur question is to be found in surat Al Hajj verses 30 and 32.
Verse 30 "...and whoever honours the sacred things of Allah, then that is better for him with his Lord."

Verse 32 "...and whosoever honours the Symbols of Allah, then it is truly from the piety of the hearts."

Hope this answers your question. THe daleel need not be a very specific one pointing to a particular issue, but there are general statements wherein many specific issues fit. These are manners that we should observe with all things related to Allah and His deen, since, according to the above verses, this will be a sign of one's piety and will accordingly be better for us.

As-salamu alykum

DanyalSAC

I think it be wise to apologise to him, inshaAllah. Asking for daleel is right for things that are construed as being from Islam. If someone said you are "sinning" by pointing your feet at the Quran, or towards the Qibla, then by all means object and ask for Daleel. But, otherwise, its good to just make the slight change to keep things peaceful, afterall, we hold our Islam highly in our hearts. We know Allah is watching and out of our love for Him, we will do our best to clear our hearts and minds and that of other people around us, of any such thoughts.

Wasalamu alaykum.

Asalaamu alaikum -

Seriously? He called me (a man old enough to be his father & therefor should expect a bit of respect) out in front of at least 8 kids and then when I ask for his proof (in private) I'm the one in the wrong?

I don't agree. Sorry. It is one of those "Lets put the heathen Convert in his place!" acts that set my teeth on edge and support my decision to do all my salaat in Masjid Daniel.

hassana elkoussi

Asalaamu alaikum -

Seriously? He called me (a man old enough to be his father & therefor should expect a bit of respect) out in front of at least 8 kids and then when I ask for his proof (in private) I'm the one in the wrong?

I don't agree. Sorry. It is one of those "Lets put the heathen Convert in his place!" acts that set my teeth on edge and support my decision to do all my salaat in Masjid Daniel.

Come on, brother, no one can call you a "heathen convert", masha Allah you have become a very good muslim in sha Allah. There is no problem in trying to learn the daleel, but your decision to do your prayers in "Masjid Daniel" is nothing but submitting to the whispers of shaitan. Seek refuge in Allah from shaitan, brother, and remember that congregation prayer is equal to 25 or even 27 prayers performed in Masjid Daniel. I'm sure you know that well. Remember also the hadith which means that the best of us are those who get in contact with others and deal with them and are patient in face of whatever they may do to hurt us. ( Sorry I can't provide the hadith itself right now).

ShyHijabi

Mistakes were made on both sides. I can sympathize with brother Danyal as I was told a lot of things were "Islamic" that I later found out were cultural. One person told me that if I prayed in my house with the bathroom door open that my prayers would not be valid. So many people were telling me contradicting information that I had to start asking for daleel.

So when brother Danyal asked for daleel the the rperson should've given it instead of letting his ego get in the way. Brother Danyal, now that you've been given the daleel you can be sure to show proper adaab towards the Qur'an. Be patient brother, as we have a whole lifetime to perfect our worship. :)