My first Ramadan. Alone :(

A_Happy_Convert

Salaamo Alaikum,

First I would like to say that I don't really mean that I will be alone because alhomdolillah the presence of Allah is always in my heart.

Physically, though-- I will be alone. I am a new revert/convert and I moved from the USA to Morocco by myself. I live in a small village near Agadir, Morocco and I have only been here a few months.

I have some questions about what to do during Ramadan. I know what fasting is all about, but what about when it's time to eat? Like I said, I live by myself so I don't really know what to cook. Keep in mind that I don't have a refrigerator and my "stove" is just a gas tank with a single flame (so I only have one burner to use at a time--kind of like camping). I love to eat the red harira but it's not very practical to make it for only one bowl. I can't make a big pot of it because I can't store the left-overs without a fridge.

So that's out. What are some things that people eat (maybe high in protein?) so they feel full during the daylight hours. I mean, I know dates are popular but what else do people eat usually?

Also, what should I do all day? Do I just live my life like I normally do but go to different mosques? I don't understand classical Arabic so I never know what the Imam is saying. (I speak Moroccan Darija and I know my prayers and about 5 surahs and other various Islamic things in classical Arabic).

If I sit in the mosque and read my English-translated Quran by myself, isn't that the same if I do it at home?

I guess I just don't know what to expect or what I should be doing. I read the post about the "10 Things to Prepare for Ramadan" so spiritually I'm ready, but I'm not really ready for the things people do during the night and day.

Yes, I have a few neighbors but most of them are old and none of them speak English or Arabic (only Berber). I've been invited 2 times to eat with some of them before but I just feel really uncomfortable because everyone kind of just stares at me and watches me eat. (I suppose I stand out because I'm a white girl with blue eyes and maybe people are intrigued/happy/surprised that an American girl would have the desire/guts/iman to move to their country alone). There's a mosque near my house but they only speak Berber there. I speak a medium amount of Arabic but the women there don't understand me. So I probably will go to a different mosque by bus.

Does anyone have any suggestions, recipes, ideas, or advice for me? I'd love to hear it! :)

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this :)

~Jamila

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

Your post reminds me of my first ever Ramadan. When I fasted for my first ever Ramadan my family members used to look me as if I am a stranger for them. To add,they were surprised that an individual with strong appetite and seldom getting late for dual meals would ever be able to fast. Alhamdulillah and Alhamdulillah I was able to fast which otherwise was a bulky and non-feasible task for me.

And the time of Sahoor was a tense period for me. Noises from kitchen during Sahoor would scatter round the ground floor,family members having rooms on ground floor would peep out despite knowing whats going on.

Alhamdulillah and Alhamdulillah my wife then a Hindu never hesitated to get up around 4am and cook Sahoor for me.

Masha-Allah those early days of my reversion unforgettable.

This year InshaAllah my wife would be also fasting,this is going to be her first Ramadan.

May Allah (SWT) guide us to absorb real purpose of fasting.

Regards.

Regards

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
I too will be experiencing my first Ramadan, and I also live alone far from any other Muslims.

I have been practicing my fasting in the last month, so that I will be more prepared for it. Yesterday I made it until 3:00 pm before I broke my fast. I try to go 30 more minutes every day.

Only 5 more hours and I'll make it until sunset...

A_Happy_Convert

I too will be experiencing my first Ramadan, and I also live alone far from any other Muslims.

I have been practicing my fasting in the last month, so that I will be more prepared for it. Yesterday I made it until 3:00 pm before I broke my fast. I try to go 30 more minutes every day.

Salaamo alaikum brother,

Where are you from and where are you living now?

Inshallah He will make it easy for us for our first Ramadan (s). I will pray that you can make it more and more each day and have the strength to keep going.

~Jamila

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Salaamo alaikum brother,

Where are you from and where are you living now?

Inshallah He will make it easy for us for our first Ramadan (s). I will pray that you can make it more and more each day and have the strength to keep going.

~Jamila

:wasalam:

I am in the USA, in the deep south (Alabama). There are some Muslims here (though not many), but my closest masjid is a 30 minute drive across town, so I can't make it over there every day. My family (whom I have not told about my conversion yet) is all Christians, and my friends are all Christians or atheists. So I am alone at this time.

mahaseeb

Asalamualikum sister....
May Allah help you sister.... really i don't have words to pen down here.. really great imaan.I am really surprised reading your post just leaving things behind giving up comfort, every pleasure for the sake of Allah.May allah help you sister and make things and life easy for you ameen...
Asalamualikum..
Abdul Haseeb

A_Happy_Convert

Salaamo alikum mahaseeb,

This is my full story from another post. Thank you for your kind words. :)

Assalamo alaikum,

My name is Jamila and I'm an American girl who has converted to Islam. Alhomdolillah that I am Muslim

Most people always ask how I found Islam and this is my story:

I discovered Islam about a year and a half ago while I was still living in California. While I was waiting for a friend, I found a copy of the Holy Quran on a bookshelf and picked it up. I couldn't put it down.

Let me give you a little background about myself: I grew up in the Midwest of USA and it's a very Christian place to live. When I was little, my mom and stepdad took me to church but as time went on my mom lost interest in the church. I became filled with questions that nobody could answer. When I was about 12 years old I used to ride my bike to the library to do research on all the different religions. I didn't want to be Catholic just because my mom was. So I was determined to take one or two books on each religion and find out which one made the most sense to me. After about a year of this, I was still feeling like I was in a maze of dead ends.

By the time I was 21, I started going by myself to a really nice Christian (not Catholic) church. I went a few times a week and eventually ended up teaching Sunday School to the children. During this time, I learned SO much about the Bible and the Prophets. (Thanks to Allah for this because if I would not have known these things already, the Quran would have seemed a little crazy to me. For example: "what do you mean Moses threw a stick and it turned into a snake??!!" Alhomdolillah that it all made sense) Anyways I still felt like something was missing. Eventually I moved to California by myself and that's where I found the Quran.

While I was living in LA, my lifestyle was starting to interfere with my religious beliefs. I mean, how could I read the Quran during the day but then go out with my friends to nightclubs at night? They didn't understand that I didn't want to be a part of any of that and that I was searching for a life that was more meaningful and valuable than partying and living the "life." After a while, I realized I couldn't possibly live there anymore. For some reason I had these visions and feelings to move to Morocco. I had never been there before but something was telling me to just go! I had hardly any money but a lot of iman. So I quit my job, sold everything I owned and packed one suitcase. I called my parents, told them I was leaving and moving to Africa alone. They thought I was crazy but they supported me anyway.

So now here I am in Morocco, surrounded by my Muslim brothers and sisters who not only accept what I believe in, but encourage me as well. Now I live alone in a small house next to a mosque and I'm very happy. I have finally found the peace and happiness I was looking for and alhomdolillah that I'm here. I pray my 5 prayers everyday, recite surahs in Arabic, and have the freedom to wear hijab and jellaba.

Allah is Amazing and I'm so thankful to be Muslim.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as-salam 'alaikum warahamtu-llahi wa barakatuhu

masha Allah sister, may Allah azza wa jal accept your upcoming Ramadan
you are not alone, insha Allah. there might be some sisters with whom you can share your Ramadan.

Allah is always with you in terms of His knowledge, insha Allah

for Ramadan fiqh issues: please watch the lecture, all parts, you can become a shaykha in Ramadan fiqh issue, insha Allah

[yt]loumK31l5Ys&feature=related[/yt]

barakAllahu feek
wassalam

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

I spent 14 Ramadans totally alone.

Last one was first I prayed with others at end of Ramadan.

:tti_sister:

I never forget it. Being with sisters at that.

:lol:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh sister Jamila.

I think this video might be good to watch:

[yt]Ab8J1koNKFU[/yt]

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

First thing: buy some dates.
You must keep yourself hydrated; so start drinking an extra glass of water first thing in the morning from now to Ramadan. ( It takes me forever to get any thing down so early in the morning ).

Are there any older women who can adopt you during Ramadan? Ask around for a mother type and using whatever communication..let the neighbors know you want to fast.

Insha'Allah, the members of your community will give you a hands on approach to Ramadan.

Write to us and let us know..we are all with ya.

A_Happy_Convert

Assalamu akaikum,

Thank you to EVERYONE who has taken the time to post! I really appreciate all the comments, advice, video, and thoughtfulness. May Allah reward you all.

~Jamila

ummsami89

Walaikum Salam "Just A Guy".. what part of Alabama? My husband went to USA and UA in Tuscaloosa in late 80s.. My son was born in Tuscaloosa. loved that city.. so sorry to hear of tornado damage. The area we lived is now gone because of it..:((..

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Walaikum Salam "Just A Guy".. what part of Alabama? My husband went to USA and UA in Tuscaloosa in late 80s.. My son was born in Tuscaloosa. loved that city.. so sorry to hear of tornado damage. The area we lived is now gone because of it..:((..

As salaamu alaykum, sister.

I am in Birmingham, not far from Tuscaloosa. I have friends that live in Northport and I have been to Tuscaloosa on many occasions. I haven't been back since the tornado, but I know the area where it hit very well. One of my friends lived in some apartments off of 15th street for a few months.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals

Assalamu alikum :D
oh oh sister..there are two revert sisters on this forum who live in that city or close to it. Insha'Allah you can meet them. I am talking about sister Hayet and sister Isra.........oh how beautiful it'll for all of you to meet during this blessed month of Ramadan! <3 Ya rab make it possible.

*sister hug* stay strong my gurl....you were born a warrior :)

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals

way to go brother.....maybe next time you could move to the North. We have plenty of Muslims down here. Our masjid is filled during Ramadan....all kinds of colors, ethnicity, and languages-yet united under Islam :hearts:
its so beautiful ! please make a visit to a mosque and do your iftar (breaking the fast) with Muslims one time during Ramadan. I promise you that you're going to love it! :tti_sister: May Allah make it easy for ya'll ! ameen

mahaseeb

Asalamualikum...
Sister i read your reversion story to islam few days back but i was in a hurry that day so didn't comment.But honestly speaking i really admire people who are muslim by choice who know the true value and strive for the best to please allah.But it was a bit different in my case as i was a muslim by chance (alhamdulillah) i mean born to a muslim.No complains about this but like born muslim never knew the value and beauty of islam and tried to live a life running after this world for status,money,music,women and a lot....
Sister this is not my only case but there are many muslim brothers and sisters who are born muslim but behave as non muslims may allah save them alla and guide them.But alhamdulillah that allah has saved me and brought back to life to live with ikhlaas and taqwaa for which i am always grateful and can just say alhamdulillah. well sister my story can also be a story of muslim reversion to a practicing muslim. :)
I wish you all the best and pray to allah to help you each and every step and guard you with special force from evil looks,evil thought and false judgements.. ameen
Take care Ma Salam...
Abdul Haseeb

Isra

aka Tree2008
I am a new revert/convert and I moved from the USA to Morocco by myself. I live in a small village near Agadir, Morocco and I have only been here a few months.

Wa alaikome salam

OMG sis really??????????????!!!!!!!!!!! You and I are like twins!!!!!! I reverted 2 years ago and visited Morocco to take my shahada then I went home to the USA and a year and a half later moved here to Morocco!!!! Ive been here almost a full year now and I too live in a small village outside of Agadir!!!! What a coincidence!!!!

You should SOOOOOO come and visit me during Ramadan!!!!!! That would be so cool!!!! If you are interested just PM me and I will speak to my husband but Im positive that it wont be a problem!!! During Ramadan we stay with his family most of the time in Agadir and his mother cooks the most WONDERFUL fast breaking meal you will EVER taste!!!!!

Please think about it sister you are officially invited so please dont say no to a fellow American sister who is now living in Morocco!!! The coincidence is too much to be anything other than destiny!!! You have a family who would be more than willing to have you over for Ramadan fast breaking meal so please dont think you would be imposing as you are invited!

PM me sis and we can exchange details! Wow your post really has me excited!!!! Alhamdulillah!!!!!!!!!!!

wa salam