I was once a Muslim. Here is why I'm not now...

Flowing River

I am from the UK, and am white. I did convert to Islam a few months ago, and I found that the Muslims at the local mosque were incredibly kind. However, after I began to think about it, I decided that Islam is not for me. No religion is for me. Evolution was a major stumbling point when I became Muslim. Also, I decided that I should not limit myself to the Qu'ran as my only source of morals and inspiration. I am a creative person, and I didn't want to limit myself. Also, I have no longer any belief in God. I actively disbelieve in him.
I just would like to ask you all here, who are Muslim, how do you overcome these issues? I'm not suggesting that they are issues for everyone, but for me, I have trouble believing in light of this evidence. I'm not questioning your beliefs, by the way. I just want to know how this could have been overcome had I stayed Muslim. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks very much, my friends.

Ahsen

By following islam as it must be followed.I read somewhere."Don't make islam to fit your life.Make your so that it fits islam"

islamdonlyway

well quran is the main source for inspiration, but you have other sources aswell, such as the hadiths and also the sayings of some of the best scholers of islam..nothing wrong in takeing inspirations from other sources.I think you should re evaluate islam, and start from the start and reserach/read upon it and inshallah this will build up. why dont you meet other converts? i think in your case it can be very usefull to have a chat/convo with them.

why have no belife in god? god has shown us enough proof to be satisfied with.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Hello and a late welcome to the forum,

What strengthens my (and probably other Muslims) belief in Allah (God) (the Almighty) is when looking at what He says in the Qur'aan in many places regarding the universe, how He (the Almighty) describes Himself, His Names and Attributes show that He is the Creator, looking at how the scholars explained the wonders in the creation that attests to Allah (God) as the Creator rather than some blind force or other theory.

I don't know a lot about Darwin's theory however the refutation of it from the thread I am going to recommend is enough for me (when looking at the wonders of this creation that point to Allah (God), the One and only Creator).

The thread link below is 'Belief in Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'aala)'. I have linked it to post #34 (reading to) post #139 that examines in detail the evidence of a Creator and that Creator being Allah (God) and connecting our hearts to Allah (the Almighty). I realise it is an extremely long read although when looking at what Allah says and how the universe attests to Allah being the Creator then I feel it is worthwhile (and what helps in fearing and hoping in Him). I only recommend such a read if I had read it myself which I have (I hope this isn't off putting).

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?p=362018#post362018

Sadly I had to remove quite a few posts from the topic about wonders in the universe that point to Allah being the Creator in order to respect the publisher's right (although I can PM you that portion if you like or you can purchase the book stated in the first post of that thread).

When I was trying to find the best post to start from I thought these verses from the Qur'aan in that thread and this conversation between two parties acted as a challenge to man (I will copy and paste those two posts here instead of taking bits, but refer to the thread because there are related posts to this portion below):

2 – The Second Proof: This Universe Must Have A Creator

The Qur’aan offers the disbelievers and deniers proof which rational minds have no option but to affirm and which no sound mind can possibly reject. Allah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala), says:

Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief.

(Qur’aan 52: 35-36)

The Qur’aan says to them: “You exist, and you cannot deny this”;

- the heavens and the earth exist, beyond any doubt. It is simply common sense, to the rational mind, that the things which exist must have a cause for their existence. The camel herder in the desert knows this.

He says,

“Camel dung indicates the presence of a camel and footsteps indicate that someone walked here. So the heavens with their stars and the earth with its mountains and valleys must indicate the existence of the All-Knowing, All-Aware.”

The great scientists who research into life and living beings also know this.

What is referred to in this aayah is know to the scientists as the law of cause and effect. This law states that a (possible) thing cannot happen by itself without another thing (causing it), because it does not possess in itself the power to exist by itself, and it cannot by itself cause something else to exist, for it cannot give to others that which it does not itself possess.

Let Us Give an Example to Explain This Law More Clearly

A few years ago, the sands in the Rub’ al-Khaali desert (the Empty Quarter) were blown away by a windstorm to reveal the ruins of a city that had been covered by the sands. Scientists began to examine the contents of the city to try to determine the period in which it had been built. Nobody among the archaeologists or others even suggested that this city could have appeared as a result of the natural actions of the wind, rain, heat and cold, and not by the actions of man.

If anyone had suggested such a thing, people would have regarded him crazy and would have taken pity on him. So how about if someone had said that this city was formed by the air from nothing in the far distant past, then it settled on the earth? This suggestion is no less strange than the previous, in fact it is far stranger.

Why? Because nothing cannot create something, which is simply the matter of common sense, and a thing cannot create itself.

According to the way we know the city, there has to be someone who brought it into existence. What we see tells us something about the people who made it. The city must have been made by intelligent people who were skilled in construction and planning.

If we see a person going from the bottom of a building to the top, we see nothing strange in that, because a person has the ability to do that. But if we see that a rock which was in the courtyard of the building has moved to the top of the building, we will be certain that it did not move by itself. There has to have been someone who picked it up and moved it, because a rock does not have the ability to move or climb.

It is strange that people are certain that the city could not have come into existence without a creator, and that it could not have built itself, and they are certain that the rock must have had someone who would take it up to the top of the building, but there are those among them who insist that this universe came into being without a creator, even though the structure of the universe is far more complex.

The creation of the heavens and the earth is indeed greater than the creation of mankind;...

(Qur’aan 40: 57)

But when these deniers are confronted with scientific logic that addresses their reason, they have to either accept it or stubbornly reject it.

This is the evidence with which the scholars of Islam are still confronting the deniers. One of the scholars was approached by some of these heretics who deny the Creator. He asked:

What would you say about a man who tells you, I have seen a ship laden with cargo, filled with goods, in the middle of the ocean, being buffeted by waves and winds, yet, despite all that, it is sailing smoothly and following a straight course, with no sailors controlling or steering it. Is this reasonable to believe?

They said,

“This is irrational.”

The scholar said:

“SubhaanAllaah! If it is not rationally possible for a ship to sail smoothly across the sea without any sailors or crew, then how is it possible for this world, with all its different forces and factors, with its vastness and huge variety, to exist without a Creator or Keeper?”

They all wept and said, you have spoken the truth, and they repented.

This law, which is rationally acceptable, is what is referred to in the aayah:

Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators?

(Qur’aan 52: 35)

This is evidence which forces rational minds to accept that there is a Creator Who is to be worshipped. The aayah is worded in such an eloquent and moving way that anyone who hears it will be moved deeply.

Bukhari narrated in his Saheeh that Jubayr ibn Mut’im said:

“I heard the Messenger of Allah :saw: reciting Soorah at-Toor in Maghrib (prayer). When he reached this passage –

‘Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators?

Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm
Belief.

Or are with them the treasures of your Lord? Or are they the tyrants with the authority to do as they like?’

(Qur’aan 52: 35-37)

- my heart almost began to soar.”

(Bukhari, 8/603, hadeeth no. 4854)

Al-Bayhaqi said that the Abu Sulaymaan al-Khattaabi said:

“The reason why he was so moved when he heard these aayaat was because he understood the aayaat so well and because what he learned from the strong evidence contained therein touched his sensitive nature, and with his intelligence he understood it...”

With regard to the meaning of the aayah (verse),

Were they created by nothing?... (Qur’aan 52: 35),

Al-Khattaabi said:

“Or were they brought into being without a creator? That could not happen, because the creation must inevitably be connected to the Creator. There has to have been a Creator. If they deny the Divine Creator, but they could not have come into being without a creator creating them, then did they create themselves? That is an even more fallacious argument, because if something does not exist, how can it be described as having power, and how could it create anything? How could it do anything? If these two arguments are refuted, then it is established that they have a Creator, so let them believe in Him.

Then Allah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) says: Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief. (Qur’aan 52: 36)

This is something which they cannot lay any claim to. Thus they are defeated (in argument) and proof is established against them.”

The point of what Al-Khattaabi said about that to which the kuffaar could not lay any claim in to put an end to this argument and dispute, because there could be some arrogant person who says “I created myself,” just as one of his ilk who came before him claimed to have the power over life and death:

Have you not looked at him who dispute with Ibraheem (Abraham) about his Lord (Allah), because Allah had given him the kingdom? When Ibraheem said (to him): ‘My Lord (Allah) is He Who gives life and causes death.’ He said, ‘I give life and cause death.’...

(Qur’aan 2: 258)

What was Ibraheem’s response? He replied with another question which exposed the tyrant’s incapability and proved him to be a liar:

...Ibraheem (Abraham) said, ‘Verily, Allah bring the sun from the east; then bring it you from the west.’...

The result of that was:

...So the disbeliever was utterly defeated. And Allah guides not the people, who are Zaalimoon (wrongdoers).

Let us suppose someone said, “I created myself.” Can he claim that he created the heavens and the earth? If nothing did not create the heavens and the earth, and if the heavens and the earth did not create themselves, and if these people cannot claim that they created all of that, then there must inevitable be a Creator Who created all of that, and this Creator is Allah, Glorified be He and Exalted.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

Read C.S.Lewis. When he discovered God he fell to his knees and wept.

How do I remain a Believer. ( I am a woman ).

No matter what happens in my merger existence in hindsight it is always better for me. I have had many many experiences in life.

As you say you actively disbelieve. I find that amusing. In no manner am I belittling you. I wish I had the energy. How much energy are you using to hide from the Truth.

Evolution is just that a theory. No law just some men wanting to rule the world and do not have the backbone to come out and admit it. You want to rule me..be for real and let me know. Evolution limits mans purpose in life. It makes us dead bodies. No thanks.

If you take the time to study the Quran there is nothing hidden. There are trace elements of everything that has been described. Sodom and Gomorrah, the ruins are there. The pulsars and quasars have been described to us.

Please tell me what you mean by actively disbelieve. I would like to continue this if you wish. It would help me to answer your questions.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
I am from the UK, and am white. I did convert to Islam a few months ago, and I found that the Muslims at the local mosque were incredibly kind. However, after I began to think about it, I decided that Islam is not for me. No religion is for me. Evolution was a major stumbling point when I became Muslim. Also, I decided that I should not limit myself to the Qu'ran as my only source of morals and inspiration. I am a creative person, and I didn't want to limit myself. Also, I have no longer any belief in God. I actively disbelieve in him.
I just would like to ask you all here, who are Muslim, how do you overcome these issues? I'm not suggesting that they are issues for everyone, but for me, I have trouble believing in light of this evidence. I'm not questioning your beliefs, by the way. I just want to know how this could have been overcome had I stayed Muslim. Feel free to PM me.
Hi,
A muslim is a person who believes in Allah The One and only Creator Sustainter and Master of the universe,and submits to His will.A muslim is pleased with the will of Allah and submits to it.

All the messengers of Allah and their followers from Adam (alyhissalaam) to Muhammad(sallalahu alyhi wasallam) were muslims.
The doubts are whispering of shaytaan trying to delude human beings from the existence of Allah and everything that relates to faith.It is common for everyone to have these whispering and seeking refuge in Allah is the only way to overcome it.Allah says in the Qur'an ::

And seek help through patience and prayer, and indeed, It is difficult except for the humbly submissive [to Allah ]
Who are certain that they will meet their Lord and that they will return to Him.
Surah al baqarah(2:46-47)
There is hikmah(wisdom) in everything that is forbidden and allowed,that is why the diversions like music,reading too much philosophy and similar things must be avoided as it can lead to mind getting diverted from true path and the heart getting hardened to such an extent that guidance cant reach it anymore and Qur'an has no effect on it.That is why it is said in Qur'an to hold tightly to rope of Allah(ie Qur'an).
Qur'an is not a book of philosophy or science or ideology it is a book of guidance,but guidance for whom?Allah says in Qur'an Surah al baqarah::
This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah -
(2:2)
It is not a book which deals only with hikmah(wisdom) like Bible or a book which only has ahkam(commandments) like Torah but it's a book of hidayah (guidance).Guidance for mankind ,jinn and all that exists.So a muslim who believes in Allah and what He has revealed and other articles of faith does not need to go anywhere except Qur'an for inspiration and source of morality.It is also a rememberance of Allah that ties the creation to its creator a relation beyond any worldy relations.The experience of this relation has to be felt and developed ,it can only happen through an established kalam(talk).Kalamullah i'e Alla talks to us in Qur'an ,He addresses us as Oh mankind!Oh you who believe! etc.This relation with Allah is the only way to achieve peace for everyone,ultimate peace ,tranquility and security by submission to the will of Allah.
Evolution,as many have said here is just a theory with many things missing.Evolution is indirectly a call to indulge in basic instincts and reduce human beings to the state of animals which we are not.We are the best creation of Allah and we have ruhani(spritual) as well physical existence.So,it is a call for us to shun spritual existence and become like animals.It's a load of assumptions,Max Planck has said,'Whoever has seriously been involved in a scientific study will agree that it is found written on the gate of entrance of temple of science,"Ye must have faith".'So even in this place faith is required.
These philosophies are just whole lot of assumptions by us human beings while The word of Allah,Qur'an ,is free and pure from it.It is the truth for a muslim.
Regards.
Kashif.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I'm a white American convert. Been Muslim since 2009 Alhamdulilah.

I do believe in evolution, but who's to say Allah subhana wa ta ala DID NOT will it?
The one thing in evolution i dont believe, is that we came from monkeys.

dunno

I do believe in evolution, but who's to say Allah subhana wa ta ala DID NOT will it?

This is correct. As Muslims we don't believe humans evolved from monkeys. We don't believe that allah created us in this way. However, other species might of been created via evolution.

Wannabemuslim

:salam2: friend

This is actually common for people to convert to islam than go to atheism. I dont want to know the troubles you had with islam, nor the reasons you left islam but why you came to islam,

Im not talking about the genorosity of the muslim community but the things you most deeply loved in islam, try remembering those things,try praying again, and really think deeply and reflect

From my little knowledge people can change, but its hard to let go of old friends old ways of thinking,

Perhaps you want to believe but something is holding you back, and this to you is the theory of evolution.

When has anyone ever seen it written the fact of evolution?

There are things in the world that are clear proofs or god, whether people accept them or reject them is up to the person.

Are you a creator? or the created? We are all created. And ultimatly what ever created us has ultimate power

You say you worship nothing, but in a way you worship nature as a superior force. And it seems that a belief in a god with a plan is much more valid than something random such as nature.

But im not an expert or schooler infact i wouldnt listen to anything i write,im still learning, but could you please respond to someones posts just so we can understand a little more how you "actively disbelieve".

Thanks.

World Peace

Islam is Light
Peace be upon you

Welome to the Forum. Regarding Evolution, I would like you to read the following and reflect upon it:

Lets start with the beginning, who created the universe? How did the universe come into existence? Did the universe come into existence by chance? Does chance create laws and fine tuning?

Allah says in the Holy Quran:

“No vision can grasp Him, but His grasp is over all vision: He is above all comprehension, yet is acquainted with all things.” (The Holy Quran, 6:103)

"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (The Holy Quran, 21:30)

"The heaven, We have built it with power. Verily. We are expanding it." (The Holy Quran, 51:47)

"Were they created of nothing, or were they themselves the creators? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, they have no firm belief" (The Holy Quran, 52, 35-36)

How can ye reject the faith in Allah.- seeing that ye were without life, and He gave you life; then will He cause you to die, and will again bring you to life; and again to Him will ye return.” (The Holy Quran, 2:28)

“And they say: "What is there but our life in this world? We shall die and we live, and nothing but time can destroy us." But of that they have no knowledge: they merely conjecture:” (The Holy Quran, 45:24)

“Man says: "What! When I am dead, shall I then be raised up alive?" But does not man call to mind that We created him before out of nothing?” (The Holy Quran, 19:66-67)

“And they say: "What! when we lie, hidden and lost, in the earth, shall we indeed be in a Creation renewed? Nay, they deny the Meeting with their Lord. Say: "The Angel of Death, put in charge of you, will (duly) take your souls: then shall ye be brought back to your Lord."” (The Holy Quran, 32:10-11)

“And indeed We have created man, and We know what his ownself whispers to him. And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein (by Our Knowledge).” (The Holy Quran, 50:16)

“From the (earth) did We create you, and into it shall We return you, and from it shall We bring you out once again.” (The Holy Quran, 20: 55)

“Say: "It is Allah Who gives you life, then gives you death; then He will gather you together for the Day of Judgment about which there is no doubt": But most men do not understand. “ (The Holy Quran, 45:26)

"Does man think that he will be left uncontrolled, (without purpose)?" (The Holy Quran, 75: 36)

"Did ye then think that We had created you in jest, and that ye would not be brought back to Us (for account)?" (The Holy Quran, 23:113)

“And I (Allah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone).” (The Holy Quran, 51:56)

Every soul shall have a taste of death: and We test you by evil and by good by way of trial. to Us must ye return. “ (The Holy Quran, 21:35)

“He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving;-“ (The Holy Quran, 67:2)

hope you have a look at the following:

Regarding Evolution
http://www.beconvinced.com/archive/en/article.php?articleid=0116&catid=03&subcatname=Existence Of God

Existance of God
http://www.islamreligion.com/category/39/

Videos: Rational Arguments for the Existance Of God
http://www.thedeenshow.com/videos.php?action=featured&id=1732
http://www.thedeenshow.com/videos.php?action=featured&id=1734

Confessions of the Evolutionists. "...In this book you will find statements made by these evolutionist scientists regarding the theory they believe in. Hundreds of evolutionists, from Charles Darwin to eminent present-day supporters of his theory, such as Richard Dawkins, Stephen Jay Gould and Richard Leakey...."
http://us1.harunyahya.com/Detail/T/EDCRFV/productId/8063/CONFESSIONS_OF_THE_EVOLUTIONISTS

I hope you find them useful. May Allah guide you and enlighten your heart with the light of faith.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
I reverted to Islam in 2006 and I never thought to go back to my steps.As my friend told me one day,if somebody decides to abandon Allah's path for another one,there is nothing to be sad,because maybe his Imaan wasn't so strong and Allah guides who wants towards His way.you believe in evolution but you forget Who has created it...may you open your eyes,in sh Allah

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

Allah shows his path to those He wants.

You should ask help from Allah and read His book, the Quran.

And take your time for it. Maybe years.

Shak78

I feel the same way, who are we as mere humans to tell Allah how we came about, He knows everything. That is arrogant and I have always found that very irritating. I see the fossil record and its hard to deny that evolution has not taken place, but that doesn't mean I can not believe in Allah as well.

tabuzbr

Dear brother,all I can tell u is that Islam is the only true religion and Allah the Almighty is the one and only God. U had got to know n learn this religion u were lucky and fortunate,u turn away from it then u have the hell ready for u on the day of judgement, it's very simple .when u read quran u will realize this as the true fact and May Allah show you the righteous path which leads to a life in heaven.
Secondly, one thing I'd like to clarify is there was a one particular tribe centuries ago ,Allah had made the people of that tribe as monkey faces to punish them for their disbelieving ,as He had punished many other tribes in different ways. Darwins theory came much much later and maybe he withdrew some conclusions based on this.
Whtever or however the creation ,Allah is the only creator and hope u will understand this and revert back to the true religion and not be among the disbelievers on the day of judgement.

Perseveranze

"And of knowledge you have been given but little" (17:85)

Science is always going to change, Islam never will, it will always remain true to it's existence, since the very beginning.

You'd be suprised to know the amount of Scientists that believe in God, even the one's that believe in "Evolution", believe that it was a God-Guided process.

As for me, Quranic miracle, Prophetic miracle, Historical miracle and the idea that surely, we couldn't have just "come out of nothing" is enough to keep my faith firm.

Anyways, we'll know the truth after the grave, won't we?

---

Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators?
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm
Belief. Or are with them the treasures of your Lord?
Or are they the tyrants with the authority to do as they like?
’ (Qur’aan 52: 35-37)

"For every happening, there is a finality. And you shall come to know." [al-An'am: 67]

Now I have a question for you, how do you overcome the obstacle of being sure that we exist by "mere chance" and come from nothing?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

A characteristic of a Believer is he Believes. So there is little fear. A Muslim does not change. He is constant.

esperanza

revert of many years

i really hope u will find your way again,,,,just try to read more..knowledge is the most important thing in islam..read about all religions about everything u need to know,,, i just hope u find ur way back to islam god willing