Scientific Miracle of the Qur'an (Earth is spherical)

Umair.

As Salam Alaikum....

My question is that before when giving dawah to atheists etc. I used to often bring up the point that before any technological advancements... The Qur'an declared earth to be spherical (that like an ostrich's egg) and there is no way that information could have been observed back then but just earlier I stumbled upon this bit of information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

It appears that this was strongly suggested and that Pythagoras "discovered" it in the 5th century BC. It is also said that "After the 5th century BC, no Greek writer of repute thought the world was anything but round."

So reflecting on this I feel like I have been claiming wrong while giving dawag that the first time it was mentioned was in the Qur'an. Suppose I'm having a discussion with someone and they bring up the fact that this information was already available and that it may have simply been borrowed by the Qur'an, how can I answer? Or should this point not be brought up at all?

auroran

:salam2:

There are many other scientific miracles in the Qur'aan. But it wasn't the miracles that drew in the Arabs of the time of the beloved Prophet :saw:. It was the Qur'aan and its elegance in its language, Arabic. Allaah azza wa jal gave Musa (alayhis salaam) a staff. When the staff became a snake manifest, the people who witnessed it couldn't believe their eyes from seeing such sorcery at a time when sorcery was practiced a lot.

Also, in the time of Isa (alayhis salaam), he was able to heal the blind and the leper at a when medicine was practiced a lot. Similarly, the last Prophet :saw: received revelation, which was far superior then any of the Arabic poetry out there, at a time when Poetry prevailed. But, sadly, most people don't know Arabic.

Alhamdulillaah, the person doesn't have to know Arabic to testify that there's no god but Allaah and Muhammad :saw: is his Messenger. There are other many other methods of dawah.

Look at the bright side, akhi. What if the Qur'aan said the earth is flat?

Umair.

That is true brother, I suppose an argument to my own question can be given that Aristotle and his Maths buddies also thought that Earth was the center of the universe however this was not put in the Qur'an....

And I see your point about the poetic nature of the Qur'an but just the elegance, beauty or the peaceful nature of a book does not bring up belief in someone who has thought there is no God to begin with since a young age.

They want established proof of divine intervention i.e. showing answers to extremely unsolvable questions being dealt with in the Qur'an, that was the reason for me to use the scientific facts.

Which makes me also wonder what the reason may be for Allah (swt) to not tell us something we will never be able to know like the shape of the universe, etc. As He knows everything about everything, He could have chosen to give us a lot more knowledge of the universe we live in but doesn't. It really makes you think!

auroran

Allaah ta'aala asks the atheists: “Did nothing create them or did they create themselves?”[Quran 52:35]

No matter how much science they use, they will never find a valid explanation on how we exist. They try to refute by saying: "Then who created God?" God is The Creator, how can he be created? Also, we have a beginning and an end, but God doesn't because he's not like us.

Here is a video about some of the Qur'aan's scientific miracles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCxtUY9k4I&feature=channel_video_title

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum: Br.

First,I doubt that even in Quran there is any verse explicit that earth is spherical. Dr.Naik always quotes in his lectures that Quran mentions earth to be sperical and references he provides from Quran are not direct. But why should we rely on falsehood to prove divinity of Islam?.

The best way I prefer to make Dawah to Non-Muslims is based on some irrefutable points mentioned in Quran,

1) What is purpose of life and why life with a purpose?. In other words,why are we (human beings) here on earth and that with faculties of autonomy?.

2) Tawheed or centrality of Divine Power.

3) The extent of interaction between Human beings and our Creator ( Belief in Unseen)

4) What after death?. That is highlighting the Day of judgement.

5) And above all who is our Creator?. Taking about His attributes and presenting Surah-Ikhlas and Ayat-Al-Kursi.

Regards.

Umair.

Jazak'Allah brother I will watch that video soon.

I think I have answered the question I asked just earlier after long thinking about it, I'll just state it here for anyone else who may have thought about the same thing.

The question was "What was the reason we aren't given more knowledge about the Universe we live in when He could have told us i.e. the shape of the universe, how big is it etc."

The answer is quite simple. Suppose the Qur'an had mentioned "The universe is round" or "there are 9 planets in our solar system".

Now we all know that the shape of the universe is something which is argued by thousands of physicists each claiming their THEORY is the best.

Also, we know that a few years ago if you said there are only 8 planets in the solar system you wouldn't score as highly on your science exam as you would have if you said 9. But now, recently Pluto has been decided to not be a planet.

What is common between the above two is their interpretive nature because there is no established answer, there are only theories which are either accepted or rejected and there will always be those who do not agree with each theory. I.E some scientists believe the Universe is infinite and this would've contradicted the scripture's sayings.

And if we look at the facts which are mentioned in the Qur'an: The earth is spherical, Universe is expanding etc. then we realise that these are observable and completely established facts which cannot be disproven as it is something we see and not only hypothesise. So I conclude this to be amongst some of the reasons for the answer to these facts not being mentioned.

Umair.

First,I doubt that even in Quran there is any verse explicit that earth is spherical. Dr.Naik always quotes in his lectures that Quran mentions earth to be sperical and references he provides from Quran are not direct. But why should we rely on falsehood to prove divinity of Islam?.

The best way I prefer to make Dawah to Non-Muslims is based on some irrefutable points mentioned in Quran,

1) What is purpose of life and why life with a purpose?. In other words,why are we (human beings) here on earth and that with faculties of autonomy?.

2) Tawheed or centrality of Divine Power.

3) The extent of interaction between Human beings and our Creator ( Belief in Unseen)

4) What after death?. That is highlighting the Day of judgement.

5) And above all who is our Creator?. Taking about His attributes and presenting Surah-Ikhlas and Ayat-Al-Kursi.

Regards.

That can be useful brother but to someone so caught up in this dunya and engulfed in a world full of sinning, telling them they can live a happier, peaceful life is usually something they do not want to turn to. And the belief in a God is something they "do not require" they would rather continue to enjoy the sinful aspects of this dunya than to believe in a God and have to give up what they believe is good for them (although temprarily). So to convince them you have to tell them something which is meaningful to them and in today's age, everyone believes that which is scientifically proven to be the truth. Therefore, I adopted this approach of dawah

sachin4islam

That can be useful brother but to someone so caught up in this dunya and engulfed in a world full of sinning, telling them they can live a happier, peaceful life is usually something they do not want to turn to. And the belief in a God is something they "do not require" they would rather continue to enjoy the sinful aspects of this dunya than to believe in a God and have to give up what they believe is good for them (although temprarily). So to convince them you have to tell them something which is meaningful to them and in today's age, everyone believes that which is scientifically proven to be the truth. Therefore, I adopted this approach of dawah

Scientific facts mentioned in Quran may be a way of Dawah to Non-Muslims with science background. But what about a lay-man about science?. How will you invite him/her to Islam?. Did Islam grow through ages through scientific miracles mentioned in Quran?.

Regards.

Umair.

Salam brother. In the pasttimes people needed less convincing about for instance the Miracles of our Prophets but in this 'age of science' faith alone is insufficient. You cannot tell someone "so and so happened as is said in the Qur'an" because if someone doesn't have belief in the Qur'an in the first place they aren't going to believe what was stated in it.

Hence why I said that divine knowledge not present at that time which is spoke about in the Qur'an without any contradictions that is proveable by Science today (although was not before) is what is needed, and is what is given.

And in my opinion... a person does not need vast knowledge about Science. You can simply explain to them about facts which weren't known back in those days are mentioned in the Qur'an. It might even make that person seek out more knowledge of the Science behind it and increase their knowledge.

But brother I'm not saying your way is wrong, I'm just saying my way is slightly different and the reason for it being different. No bad intentions :)

tariq353

wa alaikum as salam,

They want established proof of divine intervention i.e. showing answers to extremely unsolvable questions being dealt with in the Qur'an, that was the reason for me to use the scientific facts.

Brother Allah says "we shall show them signs........ for those who reason", again and again.
Quran talks about signs again and again
For some 1 sign is sufficient, for some 10. Some will not agree even if you present 1000 signs these kind of people have been described as
Quran 2 :18. Deaf, dumb and blind – so they will not return [to the right path].

All those who argue wrt scientific facts in Quran that this was from greeks, that was from.............they fail to realize that others like greeks state 100's of unscientific things with one scientific fact so was Prophet :saw: was scientist that he separated wrong one and selected only right one ???
this is one of the reason why Allah selected last Prophet:saw: as ummi

Quran 29:48.
And you did not recite before it any scripture, nor did you inscribe one with your right hand. Then [i.e., otherwise] the falsifiers would have had [cause for] doubt.

Which makes me also wonder what the reason may be for Allah (swt) to not tell us something we will never be able to know like the shape of the universe, etc. As He knows everything about everything, He could have chosen to give us a lot more knowledge of the universe we live in but doesn't. It really makes you think!

If Allah wanted he could have made each and every thing clear but then where is the test?????

He has clearly distinguished Good and evil and given us free will to choose from.

on the day of judgement He will [then] inform us concerning that over which we used to differ

Quran 5 :48.
And We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book [i.e., the Quran] in truth, confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it. So judge between them by what Allah has revealed and do not follow their inclinations away from what has come to you of the truth. To each of you We prescribed a law and a method. Had Allah willed, He would have made you one nation [united in religion], but [He intended] to test you in what He has given you; so race to [all that is] good. To Allah is your return all together, and He will [then] inform you concerning that over which you used to differ

wa salam

auroran

The Qur'aan was sent down as a mercy to mankind, it's not a scientific text book. It's a guide for mankind. Allaah subhaana wa ta'aala showed us many signs in His Book as brother Tariq said.

The Qur'aan has many signs, but Allaah azza wa jal doesn't need to tell you the shape of the universe to make you believe, because the signs already found in the Qur'aan is sufficient for any human to accept that This Book is from God.

dbest

May peace and blessings be with you,

I've heard so much scientific facts from the Quran which have convinced me that the Quran can't be written by a human. However are there any other facts in the Quran?

Thank you.

Perseveranze

Greeks were never able to prove it, they didn't have no globe or anything, it was just something they "thought". It was as much of a guess then as it would be a guess today to say that "there's life outside of Earth". Havn't found it, havn't been able to prove it, but some people just think this.

Anyways, if you want some good Scientific facts, that people can't say was "plagurised" then look at these videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/MuhaddithDotOrg#grid/user/B4932F1F48D49A87

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh.

Hope your all doing well. Dear brother I don't think the "miracle" of the egg is of the biggest miracles in the Quran. I understand your point of coming from a scientific approach and MashaAllah there are tons of scientific things to be noted , which are miracles in the Quran.

The one which really shocks me (and catches the atheist aswell is...)

You ask the athest how did the universe begin according to your scholars? They reply big bang.. You ask what is the evidence? First and foremost the biggest evidence that the universe had a common origin is the fact that it is expanding at the rate it is not (Which is 70% it's size I heard)
In 1929 Edwin Hubble proved that that universe is Expanding . This is well known amongst the Kuffar.

Quote Surah Ad - Dhariyat 51:47
"It is We who constructed the Samaa (sky/heaven/firmament) with Might, Verily we are Steadily Expanding it. (Muse'oon)

This verse proves the universe is expanding.. it's TOO clear and straight forward.. The samaa is expanding. Allahu akbar ! How could a desert arab know this information (may Allah's blessings be upon him)

Point number 2.. The atheist says "Big Bang"
Quote Surah Al Anbiya 21:30
"Do not the disbelievers see, that the heavens and the earth were once joined together, before we clove them asunder? We created every living thing out of WATER, so will they then not believe?

3 things to be noted in this ayat..
1 Allah says "Do not the unbelievers see..."
Pretty much foretelling that one day, they will be able to examine this statement and check it's validity !!!!
2 "The heavens and the earth were joined together before we clove them asunder"
Exactly what the kuffar say. The whole universe was all at one focal point of "Infinite density" , thereafter a sudden separation happened and an expansion which eventually gave rights to galaxies ETC
3.. "We created every living thing from Water"
Which is another scientific miracle that every living thing is made out of water.. ALL of them.
So how can a man from the desert which barely saw water and had to pray for water, know that every single thing was made of water?

Ya Akhi.. Even if things may have been mentioned before or w.e I'm not 100% on it.. but no one thing.. The Quran never conflicts with the truth.. So let's say the prophet(saws) took something from people of the past.. Why is it that he only took the truth and left the falsehood? Everyone is bound to make errors.. why is it that the Quran is free from it?

"Do they not ponder over the Quran? If it was from any other then Allah, they would have found in it many contradictions.."

May Allah put barakah in your words akhi. Don't ever put the Quran in low esteem.. The book is perfect and Allah willed for it to be the way it is.. For He knows the ghayb while we don't.
Other religions don't have evidences while we do.
WalAllahu alam.