Niqabi Sisters & Niqabi Haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinirah

Salam Alaykom Sisters & Brothers,

Lately I am paying more attention to the problems that Muslims are facing throughout the world. One of the topics that came up a lot of time's like in videos, articles, etc. are about woman who wear the niqab or cover fully. Now I know that these things are not a new topic to mention, but I would really like to say my opinion on all of the things that I have read.
First...I 100% support niqab, and the choice for woman to dress how they feel pleases their creator. Even if i didn't support it, I would not deny the fact that it is an Islamic practice. I listened to opinions extreme and not so extreme about why some people are against it. Some of the opinions that stuck out to me is that "it is better if we ban it for security reasons." or "it goes against our countries morals & lifestyle."...and...of course Muslims & non-Muslims who want to say that "it's not an Islamic practice. It’s only cultural." I find all of these opinions rather super lame! Here is why:
First about the phrase that banning the niqab would be an act of identification or security, because they cannot see the woman's face...so therefore it's UNSAFE! Oh NOO!...now they really care about how she feels & her safety? I don't think so. This is just another one of the excuses they make, because they are afraid their country will "appear Islamic", and they really don't want Muslims to openly appear as Muslims, but its fine if everything is kept in secret, and Muslims dress modern. I understand why security or identification could be a problem, because you cannot see her face, but THIS PROBLEM CAN BE EASILY SOLVED. For example...if a woman who wears the niqab goes into a bank, or a court house, or whatever other place that you need to see her identification then simply get a woman officer ...pull her to the side and ask to see her face. I am sure no niqabi woman would have a problem showing her face to a woman. There it's done...confirmed.
For the next lame excuse...."it goes against our countries morals & lifestyle."....First....What is your countries morals and lifestyle? Last time I checked i thought these European & western countries were supposed to be Free...or the people are able to choose how they want to dress, or live their life whatever way that may be...Not a dictatorship...Look how many cannibals live in Europe!!! Is that of your morals and lifestyle too? Ok so now we don't like this so let’s put a ban on it..When do they ever do that!? It only happens in cases that involve taking away something from Muslims. “OH MY GOSH...The WOMAN is covering her face...shame shame...she's in a Jail what kind of woman wants to wear a jail" ~Quotes one French man. There was one man who said he "feels concerned for the woman, and sad for her, because she's probably forced to cover that way by her husband." Do you think he really is concerned...no...It’s just an act...anyways...When are peoples personal opinions ever allowed to influence the law. If you ask most of these Muslim woman that choose to wear it they say that they choose to wear it, and it makes them feel free, and so on and so on, and they do it to better their deen. Most of the woman claimed that they are not even married, and if they were, and were not wearing it then no one could tell them or force them to wear niqab or even hijab or they would leave him. Maybe there are a small percentage of women being forced, but when do we ever make laws on something so small...on something that only affects like 2% of the population...and they claim it's their choice. Most of these women are still interacting with their society. They go shopping, and want to become teachers and lecturers...You can hear them...so why does it matter what they are wearing on their face just because it makes you personally feel uncomfortable. Get over it! When it comes to a woman who wants to walk down the street dressing like a whore, or showing her breasts..."oh it's OK...this is freedom of woman...but the niqab is not freedom!" Anytime someone wants to cover for their religion it's looked down upon.
Some Muslim's & non-Muslims claim "it's not an Islamic practice. It’s only cultural." First of all I would like to say to the non-Muslims....How are you going to tell these woman what is a part of their religion, and what is not a part of their religion just from a bunch of lousy opinions that you gathered that supports your cause...."Well i asked a Muslim Scholar!"...So what if you asked a Muslim scholar...There is even Muslim scholars who say smoking marijuana is permissible...lol...and it's true...There is a Scholar for every opinion...You can't just see the opinion of people who don't support it, you have to see both sides.....Now to the Muslims who make that statement that it's only cultural, and not Islamic....First I want to mention...Muslims...We need to stop making excuses for things that we don't want to believe in or practice. Yes...Muslims do it all the time! Not just about niqab...but about EVERYTHING. Just about! For example...A woman doesn't want to wear Hijab. So she will make all these excuses, gather all these opinions that support her, and take fatwas just so she can make herself feel better, and make herself not look bad, all because she doesn't want to wear hijab. You will find many of the Asian or Middle Eastern woman who don't wear it say..."Oh it's was forced upon me, I don't need to wear it. Allah knows my heart!!"....Oh poor you! At least they were forcing you to do something good, and now you want to go around dressing like these western girls...lol...poor you. Another example is for a man who doesn't want to grow a beard...He will make an excuse "oh...this is inappropriate....it's only for extremists. I'm not extremists."...."I cannot get a job like this!"...Oh that's for " salafis or wahabis". ..."Woman like men better with a shaved face"...OH "usually the men who wear it just appear as Muslims but they are not good Muslims" and so on and blah blah blah. A Muslim who don't want to pray will make up the excuse " Oh I'm not ready yet"..."My parents never taught me"...For people who dont want to fast during Ramadan " Oh it's not compulsory"....For a Muslim who doesn't want to make an effort to eat halal food will say " Oh I'm in a non-Muslim country and there is a fatwa allowing us to eat the meat here"...."Oh I cannot find 'halal"...."It's too expensive"..."They don't have the cuts of meat that i like"..."In Islam it says I can eat pork if i am in desperate need".....Woman who don't wear the niqab .."OH it's for women back in Saudi Arabia"..."Where is it in the Qur’an “ ...."That's for woman of the old days"..."Muslims need to integrate into society".(Muslims for years have integrated, and fed into what the non-Muslims want them to do...look at turkey...When do we ever get to make our own choices, and be our own identity! Why is it that western people when they go to Muslim countries you don't see them integrating or covering...you still see them wearing bikinis. And skirt...look at Dubai! What a mess...Yes Muslims are expect to change their dress to look more European)..."They are forced by their relatives and husbands"...Blah blah blah blah blah...excuse after excuse after excuse....Muslims we are always against each other....Why can't we just acknowledge that these are all Islamic practices, and just say you simple don't follow it....Instead of trying to make yourselves look good, because both ways you look stupid. We need to start supporting our Muslim Niqabi sisters instead of shunning them from the community all because you don't agree with their type of dress style or face cover...GET OVER IT!
Now one thing I must say to those women who choose to wear the niqab and are living in Europe or in a western country, and face violence, or even get arrested, because of the ban. I understand your frustration, and you feel you should be free to choose what you want to wear and practice your religion how you want, but you don't put yourself in danger and get yourself arrested when you know this is now the law of this country or that...Even if there is no ban on niqab or some call it "burqa", but you are still facing violence...Why put yourself through that! There is a SOLUTION!!! That solution would be to move to a country that the majority of the people are Muslim, and that the Niqab is accepted (even though in a lot of "Muslim" countries these days they are starting to take Islam out of their system). Niqabis...there are many countries out there that you can live your life, and wear what you want without locking yourself in the house, getting arrested, or facing violent crimes by aggressive Islam haters. Even the Prophet (pbuh) and his companions moved at one time, because of persecution. I understand if you are born and raised in Europe...but just accept the fact that there is a better place out there for you, and they are not going to listen to what you are saying. Continue wearing Niqab & don’t give into these fools, but do Get out of those sucky, racist, secular, Islamic, immigrant hating countries.
My final opinion is that we Muslims instead of taking sides, making excuses, and pushing our community away need to make dua for our Muslim sisters, and all of Muslims around the world... instead of going against them.

By the way there is much worse crimes going on in these countries like rape, cannibalism, child molestation, murders, you name it....and they are too busy worrying about some woman minding her own business and walking down the street covering her face.

Ayanle

i think the true opinion on niqab is that it is not compulsory but permissible
if i'm wrong someone correct me

Precious Star

Sister Zinirah

You make some valid comments.

I have to say, however, that overall a full-face and body cloak is jarring to the non-muslim. I am muslim so it does not bother me, but in a sea of "westerners" to suddenly see a head-to-toe black cloak is very unusual. I can understand why the average non-muslim would see it as threatening.

Now, I am not suggesting that women should not be permitted to wear what they like or practice their modesty in the form that they wish, be it hijaab, niqab, modest clothing, etc.

But that being said, what is the purpose of living in a non-muslim country if you are worried about how others will react to a niqab? The reality is, a bank is not going to hire a female security guard for the purpose of inspecting muslim niqabi's. What about women who seek medical treatment at hospitals? What about those who stand in line in a government-services office, such as a passport office or welfare office? What if the woman is applying for a job? In all these situations, should we expect the non-muslim population to put in place special measures to accomodate the niqabi? A non-muslim employer will never accept a face-covered employee, on the job or in a job interview. What if the job requires interaction with the public? An employer will never permit the employee to wear a niqab while dealing with customers.

Simiarly, lets say a woman is a student at university. On the first day of class, the professor has a right to see her face. The professor has a right to see who she is when she attends to write her exams.

You may not like it, but, western society is based on transparency in all interactions. In order to live in western society, muslim women must accept this. Societal structure will not change in order to accomodate a niqabi.

Perhaps the best solution is for niqabi's to live and work in a muslim country so that all parties involved are at ease.

zinirah

Sister Zinirah

You make some valid comments.

I have to say, however, that overall a full-face and body cloak is jarring to the non-muslim. I am muslim so it does not bother me, but in a sea of "westerners" to suddenly see a head-to-toe black cloak is very unusual. I can understand why the average non-muslim would see it as threatening.

Now, I am not suggesting that women should not be permitted to wear what they like or practice their modesty in the form that they wish, be it hijaab, niqab, modest clothing, etc.

But that being said, what is the purpose of living in a non-muslim country if you are worried about how others will react to a niqab? The reality is, a bank is not going to hire a female security guard for the purpose of inspecting muslim niqabi's. What about women who seek medical treatment at hospitals? What about those who stand in line in a government-services office, such as a passport office or welfare office? What if the woman is applying for a job? In all these situations, should we expect the non-muslim population to put in place special measures to accomodate the niqabi? A non-muslim employer will never accept a face-covered employee, on the job or in a job interview. What if the job requires interaction with the public? An employer will never permit the employee to wear a niqab while dealing with customers.

Simiarly, lets say a woman is a student at university. On the first day of class, the professor has a right to see her face. The professor has a right to see who she is when she attends to write her exams.

You may not like it, but, western society is based on transparency in all interactions. In order to live in western society, muslim women must accept this. Societal structure will not change in order to accomodate a niqabi.

Perhaps the best solution is for niqabi's to live and work in a muslim country so that all parties involved are at ease.

What you are saying is exactly the poor excuses people are making in these countries. I understand what you are saying that the non-Muslims might find this dress offensive because they don't understand it, but what about the Muslim woman who gets offended at the immodest clothes western woman choose to wear. I only agree with one thing you said that "Societal structure will not change in order to accommodate a niqabi." That is why I mentioned in my article that a niqabi sister doesn't have to stop wearing her niqab, but she also doesn't have to make it hard for herself therefore simply move to a place where she can live free to do as she pleases while wearing the niqab.

zinirah

i think the true opinion on niqab is that it is not compulsory but permissible
if i'm wrong someone correct me

It doesn't matter if the niqab compulsory, permissible or not. What matters is that this is something in Islam, and if the woman feels she needs to wear that then that's what she believes regardless of others opinions or whatever! She doesn't have to take it off. It is her choice & her right. Even there is some wacky people who claim even the hijab is not compulsory, but for the woman who thinks it is that's her right, and she doesn't have to take it off for anyone.

Ayanle

It doesn't matter if the niqab compulsory, permissible or not. What matters is that this is something in Islam, and if the woman feels she needs to wear that then that's what she believes regardless of others opinions or whatever! She doesn't have to take it off. It is her choice & her right. Even there is some wacky people who claim even the hijab is not compulsory, but for the woman who thinks it is that's her right, and she doesn't have to take it off for anyone.
i agree with you sister all i'm saying is that in islam it is not compulsory but permissible, i never said it wasn't a part of islam, of course it is

zinirah

i agree with you sister all i'm saying is that in islam it is not compulsory but permissible, i never said it wasn't a part of islam, of course it is

What is your point on whether it's compulsory or not...this doesn't mean the woman can take it off just because it's not compulsory. Most woman who wear it don't agree with you. Muslims don't have to stop something that they do or wear just to please others...so what is your point? there is no point.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
What you are saying is exactly the poor excuses people are making in these countries. I understand what you are saying that the non-Muslims might find this dress offensive because they don't understand it, but what about the Muslim woman who gets offended at the immodest clothes western woman choose to wear. I only agree with one thing you said that "Societal structure will not change in order to accommodate a niqabi." That is why I mentioned in my article that a niqabi sister doesn't have to stop wearing her niqab, but she also doesn't have to make it hard for herself therefore simply move to a place where she can live free to do as she pleases while wearing the niqab.

Exactly, sister. Agree with you whole-heartedly. Not only that we wish non-Muslims to see the real picture about how most Niqaabi actually wear it with their OWN choice, but also wish that our Muslims brothers and sisters to at least SUPPORT these niqaabi instead of giving out rulings about its not mandatory etc etc.

The world is indeed in a mess. People are following that which seem beautiful in their eyes (with regards to some Eastern people adapting the Western, non-Islamic lifestyles to their life).

A very wise excerpt I just read last night really hit the spot about this mess.

The communities are not righteous, and they cannot have happiness, nor security, or stability, until they judge their affairs by the Law of Allaah, and carry out His Judgement amongst His slaves, and until they purify action and speech for Him, and set the limits He has set for His slaves. By doing this, they will collectively achieve salvation and honour in this world, and in the Hereafter, such as becoming victorious by the Help of Allaah over their enemies, and achieving success upon an honourable path, and the respect of the olden times, as Allaah the Glorified said:

"O you who believe, if you help Allaah, He will help you, and establish your feet." [Surah Muhammad, 47:8]

Somehow, for some reasons, it actually reminds me of this ayaat:

"Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion." [Al-Hadid, 57:20]

May we be among those who are not "fooled" with the amusement of the world. Ameen.

:wasalam:

zinirah

Exactly, sister. Agree with you whole-heartedly. Not only that we wish non-Muslims to see the real picture about how most Niqaabi actually wear it with their OWN choice, but also wish that our Muslims brothers and sisters to at least SUPPORT these niqaabi instead of giving out rulings about its not mandatory etc etc.

The world is indeed in a mess. People are following that which seem beautiful in their eyes (with regards to some Eastern people adapting the Western, non-Islamic lifestyles to their life).

A very wise excerpt I just read last night really hit the spot about this mess.

Somehow, for some reasons, it actually reminds me of this ayaat:

"Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion." [Al-Hadid, 57:20]

May we be among those who are not "fooled" with the amusement of the world. Ameen.

:wasalam:

You are exactly right sister, and the Ayah you gave beautifully describes all that is happening. We Muslims must try to look at things from an islamic viewpoint. It is very clear. Ameen sister may we not be fooled with the amusement in this world, and May Allah guide us all to the straight path. Ameen.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalmaoalikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

Those are the opinions, but all the scholars agree that during times of fitnah, it becomes obligatory. These are times of fitnah. Evil is everywhere and everyone is fully exposed to it.

Edited:

Just finished reading your post. One word: AWESOME!

Jazakallah khair sister, you are straight on the spot *cool*

complex_man

same discussion again. if some one is so disturbed from the ban in western countries, then there is also a order of migration . simply migrate and stop complaining.

@Above, when it was that there were no times of fitna?.how do we know when there are times of fitna and when they are not?.
i agree with precious star.

i dont hate women with niqab, i am with them , my mother does this. my sisters do this. but in Balochistan it is necessary and it is well respected but in western countries, the situation is different.you dont need to attract people towards you. Hijab is OK and well accepted every where. most of the women in egypt,turkey,syria do only Hijab. so are they sinful?.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

same discussion again. if some one is so disturbed from the ban in western countries, then there is also a order of migration . simply migrate and stop complaining.

With all due respect brother, I can't see what's bothering you? We like and wear niqaab and we want to be heard. It's a problem and we'll defend ourselves, not necessarily complain.

Having said that, please read the post if you haven't done so, she's mentioned about performing Hijrah "VERY" clearly. The article is in excellent balance. What do you find wrong with it.

@Above, when it was that there were no times of fitna?.how do we know when there are times of fitna and when they are not?.
i agree with precious star.

So, you can't seem to tell when men are not lowering there gaze and are gawping at girls. When woman are getting raped and media display them as sex toys? When women just can't pass by a street except that they are harrased and men are flirted with?

You believe the situation now is similar to that in Hadhrat Omer's time? These are fitnah times. Those were the good times. People knew exactly what would become of them is they raped a woman or woman entertained people by dancing and singing. Is this not fitnah akhi? You see a woman on the stage, than one of the street, wouldn't the evil man start comparing them. Spare the one whose covered from head to toe.

i dont hate women with niqab, i am with them , my mother does this. my sisters do this.

Good for you and them. Don't see a point why someone would hate what Allaah loves for them.

but in Balochistan it is necessary and it is well respected but in western countries, the situation is different.you dont need to attract people towards you.

How do you even manage to arrive at this ridiculous conclusion? I suggest you read sister Al-fajr's reply to you again.

Besides why is it such an issue to wear niqaab in the west? Is being a Muslimah who lives in the west mean she can no longer have her own choice? She can no longer follow the wives of the prophet :saw: to her utmost. Bizarre!

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
:salam2:

Some people might say why do we always need to discuss this "niqab" issue when there are bigger issues? And then when some western countries start banning the niqab the same people will say "well the sisters who wear the niqab need to voice their opinions and let the non-Muslims hear them out. they don't talk enough and they are excluding themselves" Subhanalaah! there is no way with people. I wear the Niqab, and have been wearing it for the past year or so now, alhamdulilah! and I live in the U.S.; Most of those who seem to have a big issue with it and who constantly bombard me with questions is not the Non-Muslims! it is Muslims. "Why are you putting yourself in danger?" "how will you find employment?" I even heard someone ask me "who will marry you?!" So it's really disappointing to see Muslims get so annoyed with me for doing something that is permissible, or recommended by eve scholars of Islam who don't believe it is wajib(obligatory). Niqab is not something to be looked down upon, it's not something to only wear in Muslim countries, it is something which I believe is better for me as a woman, a Muslim woman. Just like my body needs a Hijab, so does my face.

And the other thing is, in many states in the U.S. just couple decades ago there were no Muslims at all, and when the Muslims came, and the women wore their hijabs to work, school, community events etc...they all were looking at them with curiosity, and even fear. They had to adjust to it. Same thing with niqab, it will only take time for them to get used to. I really don't believe non-Muslims are the problem, the problem is within our own fellow Muslims who put us down, who discourage us and try to put fear and anxiety into our hearts by saying "you live in a non-Muslim country, you can get attacked." Any woman can get attacked for any reason. Millions of women get raped, physically hurt and killed every day and they wear neither hijab nor niqab. The sister who was brutally stabbed and killed in Germany(don't remember if that is the right country) was not wearing a niqab.

I say to Muslims please fear Allah and stop coming up with lame excuses.Niqab does not complicate my life, if for any reason, someone needs to identify me for security purposes in banks, post offices, schools or where ever else, I am willing and ready to show my face along with my id. It's not really all that hard.

sorry for my long post, but some of my dear Muslims just get under my skin with the things they say:angryblue: May Allah guide us all:tti_sister:

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:
:jazaak: sister.You highlighted very good points.The sad part is non muslims will oppose us,but when muslims oppose us in practicing our religion it is quite painful.Most of us are looking for excuses not to practice our deen but a few who want to practice they are demoralized by our own family members and muslim friends.They are dubbed as extremists,terrorists blah blah blah and are boycotted by most of the society like their friends leave them,many of their family members avoid talking to them and mock them behind their backs.I have personally seen this with my own eyes and it has angered me and saddened me.
Plus the recent brazen case of s***twalk across the world,where women literally dressed like harlots,that was something really disgusting.What is this if not fitnah?In my country women took placards saying,"Nazar teri buri,burqa mein pehnu?" which means,"You are the one who has bad intentions,why should I be the one to wear burqa?" This is such a big fitnah that they are causing.That was absolutely disgusting,if these kind of filth is allowed then why is'nt a muslimah who choose to dress modestly out of fear of Allah and modesty and hayah be oppressed.They keep telling us,you are oppressed and blah blah.They keep forcing their junk down our throats.This must be resisted at all costs.Truly the western and other non muslim interaction has shaped our ideas and corrupted it to such an extent that many of us want to act like them to please people instead of pleasing Allah.
We should absolutely shun any excuses not to take our religion seriously and oppose it at any cost.The least we can do is not to criticize those who take their deen seriously and if we cant help them we should also refrain from criticizng them.
These laws set by governments oppressing muslims are not greater than Allah's laws.These are oppressive laws,we must voice our opposition to these laws and resist them by all means.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum wa rahmatullaah,

You may not like it, but, western society is based on transparency in all interactions. In order to live in western society, muslim women must accept this. Societal structure will not change in order to accomodate a niqabi
Muslims such as yourself are far more concerned about the 'feelings' of non-Muslims than whether or not a Muslim is able to obey Allaah's command without a problem.

As for the bit in bold; as Muslims we not only suggest, but quite clearly state, that a Muslim woman should absolutely dress in correct hijaab as Allaah commanded, or at the very least she should recognise it as an obligation upon her and not deny it. We don't say 'women have a right to wear whatever they want'.

But that being said, what is the purpose of living in a non-muslim country if you are worried about how others will react to a niqab?
Niqaabi women aren't worried about reactions, otherwise they wouldn't wear it. The only cause for concern is when new laws come about specifically targetting women who wear the niqaab and any legal action taken against them.

Your 'excuse list':

The reality is, a bank is not going to hire a female security guard for the purpose of inspecting muslim niqabi's.

The banks have numerous female employees who can verify a Muslim womans identity within a minute or two.

What about women who seek medical treatment at hospitals?
Again, numerous female doctors in the West, unless a niqaabi woman had a life threatening face rash, I don't see why she would have to expose her face to anybody.

Scholars have made allowances for life threatening medical treatment; this deen is not irrational.

What about those who stand in line in a government-services office, such as a passport office or welfare office?
These are getting sillier ..you really have never met a niqaabi woman who has travelled, have you?
What if the woman is applying for a job? In all these situations, should we expect the non-muslim population to put in place special measures to accomodate the niqabi? A non-muslim employer will never accept a face-covered employee, on the job or in a job interview. What if the job requires interaction with the public? An employer will never permit the employee to wear a niqab while dealing with customers.
Rest assured, employment is not top priority for the majority of niqaabi women and if they wanted it they have the sense to choose something that does not require them to remove it. Life for women who wear niqaab is different for those who don't and you have demonstrated this here, but this is still a choice many women make and they are content with that, they don't do everything non-niqaabi women might do.

No he does not have a right to see her face, you are quite simply wrong.

As for external examinations, this is another excuse similar to the one about banks and identifying oneself which is a non-issue.

I want everyone to recognise that the Niqaab topic is henceforth not open for discussion, any further threads leading to a discussion on this matter will simply be closed without comment, so act wisely, save your time.

Wa-alaykum assalam wa rahmatullaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.