Diffrence between chaliphas and imaams??

friend263

Assalamualaikum. I am very much confused between chaliphas and imaams i know there are 4imaams but who are chaliphas?? And who are sahabas and tabea tabien?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Assalamualaikum. I am very much confused between chaliphas and imaams i know there are 4imaams but who are chaliphas?? And who are sahabas and tabea tabien?

Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu,

Sahabah: The companions of the Prophet:saw:, Those who lived and believed in him:saw: while he lived.

Tabaien: The Generation after the Companions. Those Muslims who have met the companions.

Itbah Tabaien or Taba Tabaien: The Generation after the Tabaien. Those Muslims who have met the Tabaiens.

Imaam: Generally leader. The one who leads the prayer is an Imaam. The four Imaams you are reffering to are Imaam Abu Haneefa, Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, Imaam Maalik, Imaam Shafee. These noble sheikhs are called Imaam because their rulings gave rise to the four Madhahibs I.e Hanafee, Hanbali, Maliki and Shaf'ee.

Khaleefa: Muslim leader who rules over them. Usually this is used for the first four Khulafa of Islaam, namely Abu bakr as Sadeeq, Umer Ibn al Khattab, Uthmaan bin Affan and 'Ali Ibn abi talib.

Hope this clears you confusion.

wasalamoalaikom wa rahamtullahi wa barakaatuh.

friend263

Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu,

Sahabah: The companions of the Prophet:saw:, Those who lived and believed in him:saw: while he lived.

Tabaien: The Generation after the Companions. Those Muslims who have met the companions.

Itbah Tabaien or Taba Tabaien: The Generation after the Tabaien. Those Muslims who have met the Tabaiens.

Imaam: Generally leader. The one who leads the prayer is an Imaam. The four Imaams you are reffering to are Imaam Abu Haneefa, Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, Imaam Maalik, Imaam Shafee. These noble sheikhs are called Imaam because their rulings gave rise to the four Madhahibs I.e Hanafee, Hanbali, Maliki and Shaf'ee.

Khaleefa: Muslim leader who rules over them. Usually this is used for the first four Khulafa of Islaam, namely Abu bakr as Sadeeq, Umer Ibn al Khattab, Uthmaan bin Affan and 'Ali Ibn abi talib.

Hope this clears you confusion.

wasalamoalaikom wa rahamtullahi wa barakaatuh.
Wasalaam sister but i read in the quran that there should be one calipha to lead the muslims. Did they came after the death of the first one. eg when our beloved prophet died he gave the chilaphat to abu bakr raziallahu anhu. So when he died he had transfered it to the other and so on?? And when we are told to obey the quran and sunnah then why these imaams with 4diffrent views and opinion?

CoolServant

Heavy topic

this question will require your time and effort to study the history.
The fastest way is to find a qualified historian and learn from him.
This is to get a clear picture .

But if you want to make it simple. The definitions given by our brother above is somehow sufficient.

But in term caliphs refering to the khulafa' ar rashidiin can be defined as successor of the Prophet peace be upon him.

As for the 4 imams are the major/most famous scholar of islam ,yet there are other imam mujtahid besides them. But still, they all use Quran and Hadeeth as reference but may have different interpretations.The difference may be in terms of situation/place, the collection of hadeeth that they have
Its not easy to be mujtahideen like these 4....if you read their biography, you'll understand why

Just reading the english translation of the Quran and the Hadeeth collections cant make you qualified to interpret anything....you need to have full mastery of arabic language(grammar,literature etc), memorize all those thousands hadeeth with its sanaad (chain of narration) and many other criterias

If now you jugde a scholar by his phd, the imams must had at least 30-40 phds each....phd in arabic,phd in quranic studies,phd in falak(astronomy),phd in ilmu hisaab(mathematics),phd in hadeeth, usul ad-deen, and so on....

dunno

Please be careful. Those 4 Imams did not change a thing or differ in anythings in terms of aqeeda. They are only imams in fiqh not aqeedh.
Aqeedh is clear and there is no difference in opinion regarding it
however in fiqh there are differences in opinion

friend263

Yes, each caliph came after the passing away of the previous one. Islam is not a rigid religion but a flexible one that allows different of opinion and room for interpretation. The 4 imams came at a time when their people needed someone to teach them about Islam. Each imam preached to best of their ability based on the knowledge and resources available to them. Over time these imam's preaching became madhab or school of thought. None of them are wrong as they all are Sunni, they differed only minor issues but otherwise they were all on the right path.

see,

Is it obligatory to follow a particular madhhab?
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/21420/

Also, I recommend getting the book "The history of Islam" by Mubarakpuri, it's a great 3 volume comprehensive book of Islamic history.

51CH53VSQFL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/History-Islam-Volumes-Akbar-Najeebabadi/dp/1591440343
what if i dnt follow these imams rather belive in quran and sunnah?