I dont know if i should give money or not..

windswirl

Well I want to get an ipod touch 4g with my eid money, I had wanted to get it for quite some time now. I am 13 and my mom said it was too expensive so I should wait until i get my eidee. well, now i heard there was a drought in Africa and dont know wat to do. On my ipod I am not going to be stupid and do haram things that most people do, i actually am very much used to researching about islam, listening to nasheeds, qasidahs and educating myself with islamic apps on the app store this way i could all this on the go (my mom doesnt let me stay on the computer for soo long, so that's y i need this to help me on the go and so my mom wont get mad at me). I really want to save my money, but if i buy the ipod touch, all my money will be done. the drought is so bad that millions of people are short on water and hundreds die everyday.:girl3: WHAT SHOULD I DO?! if i get the ipod i can educate myself (I assure you that i will only use it for islamic purposes [although some of the apps are pretty cool]), but people are dying. its not like me giving my money will stop everyone from dying, but i know that not giving money is not what i should do. pleeasse help. and if you want, give logic for why i should. thank you. May Allah bless all who try to cope with my question.

(I'll use better grammer next time [I forgot, sorry])

complex_man

:salam2:little sister. your pain and care for the Somali Muslims have brought tears in my eyes. you have very good heart. the comfort and happiness that you get by helping some one is no where near to using ipod. just try it and you will feel it inside your heart. decision is yours. May Allah SWT bless you always.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Allah subhana talla puts the intention of good in our hearts. You understand that if you give the money for the love of Allah you will be blessed. And Allah has a way of giving us what we want when we love Him.

CoolServant

A wise man used to say; Real properties isn't what you own But it's what you give. for what you own could be broken,perished,stolen But what you give is recorded by Allah until the the Day of Judgement.

Anyway, my personal advice (i had the same experience before so many times)
Is it a necessity for you or not?
If you want to hear something good like lecture,qasidah,quran etc....cant you just get a simple mp3?
If you want to watch a video...cant you use your pc/laptop?

i have nothing against ipod, but sometimes if you cant have both...you choose things over priority.
Technology is progressing everyday, just by the end of this year you'll(inshaallah) see a whole new type of devices.

if buying an ipod is gonna drain your money dry
buy something else....books,mp3, or even 2 mp3s ,or more books

alf2

Islam is a way of life
First of all, why do you want an iPod touch?
Some years ago I bought an iPod and it was $300, I HATED IT! I hate Apple so much! The software always needed updates, the battery was terrible...And this year it finally broke. (After only 3 years) So instead of buying a really expensive one, I got a better one from Wal*Mart for only $40. You can do a lot with spare money you save from an Ipod! (the one i have now is Sansa brand)

Anyway, its good to use technology to increase our deen alhamdulilah. But be careful, what is expensive is not always the best.

If i were in your shoes, I would buy a cheaper MP3 player and donate the rest for the sake of allah. I promise you, you will not regret it.

windswirl

You all are Sooo kind. Thank you for replying to my problem. If anyone wants to still reply, they can, I am still listening. I decided that I am going to get a mp3 player. I already have many books, and I could always go to the library or mosque. So I will just donate the rest of the money, at least that way I could have a great Eid and plenty of other kids can too, maybe enough so that they can have hope in Allah (SWT), and hang on too life. May Allah bless you all, and provide any good at all for you. Ameen. :tti_sister:

CoolServant

You all are Sooo kind. Thank you for replying to my problem. If anyone wants to still reply, they can, I am still listening. I decided that I am going to get a mp3 player. I already have many books, and I could always go to the library or mosque. So I will just donate the rest of the money, at least that way I could have a great Eid and plenty of other kids can too, maybe enough so that they can have hope in Allah (SWT), and hang on too life. May Allah bless you all, and provide any good at all for you. Ameen. :tti_sister:

For someone your age, you are very smart and wise
the wisest is whosoever rectify himself and prepares for what is after death.And the weakest(stupidest) is he who follows his desires and hope for the mercy of Allah which is hoping for happiness and forgiveness without doing good deeds

strive-may-i

your logic please

:salam2:

windswirl;519206...................... want said:

I would like to hear your logic, on why one should give, who should we give it to. and what does the giver gain, what does the receiver gain :)

xAllahKnowsBestx

May Allah reward you for your intentions sister. :) The answers above are great, and I guess I have to agree that you could just get an mp3 or a cheaper ipod that doesn't necessarily have to be an ipod touch. And you could donate the rest of the money insha'Allah. :)

windswirl

For someone your age, you are very smart and wise
the wisest is whosoever rectify himself and prepares for what is after death.And the weakest(stupidest) is he who follows his desires and hope for the mercy of Allah which is hoping for happiness and forgiveness without doing good deeds

Oh brother I am but a child. My love for my Nabi (SAW) and my love for my Creator, and my desire for knowledge has led me far in my young life. I have seen proof that led me to think ahead of my age, Allah has shown me miracles, answered my prayers, talked to me, how could I have not such an intense love for Him? The disbelievers do not know what they are missing, they do not know that they are missing the love for the Supreme, for he is the Eternal, the Cherisher, and those who overflow in love for Him, he has double the love for them.:hearts:

Say, "If you love Allah, follow me (Muhammed): then will Allah love you and forgive your sins." -(Holy Quran [3:32])

The acts that I do now, will be the acts that I do 10 years from now, I must start young if I wish to experience the love of Allah at a greater scale. Inshallah I will become a pious muslim in the eyes of God.

As for knowledge, I am always seeking some. As also shown by Hadhrat Abdullah bin Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him).

He said:
"After the passing away of the Prophet (peace be upon him), I said to an Ansari friend of mine: 'The Prophet is not now with us. But a large number of Sahabah are still among us. Let us go to them and get knowledge of the Islamic practices.' He said: ' Who is going to approach you for learning a regulation in the presence of these eminent Sahabah?' I was not discouraged. I kept up my quest for knowledge and approached every person who was supposed to have heard something from the Prophet. I managed to gather substantial information from the Ansar. If on my visit to someone of the Sahabah, I found him asleep, I spread my shawl at the gate and sat waiting. Sometimes my face and body would get covered with dust, but I kept sitting till they woke and I was able to contact them. Some of them said: 'Abdullah you are the cousin of the Prophet; you could have sent for us. Why did you take the trouble of coming to our places?' I said to them: 'I must come to you, for I am a student and you are my teachers.' Some people for whom I had waited said: 'Since when have you been waiting for us?' I informed them that I had been sitting there for a pretty long time. They said: 'What a pity! You could have awakened us from our sleep.' I said: 'I did not like to disturb you for my own sake.' I thus carried on my pursuits, till there came a time when people began to flock to me for learning. My Ansari friend realized this at that time and remarked: 'This boy has surely proved himself more sensible than us.'"

Source: From the book "Stories of the Sahabah" by Shaikh Muhammad Zakariyya Kaandhlawi.

Besides our quest for knowledge to earn a livelihood in this world, we must as well gain sufficient knowledge of Islam. No matter what age group we belong to at this moment, we should atleast have that much Islamic knowledge with which we can turn our 24 hours life into worship. Those with knowledge and practice will be exalted in this world and in the hereafter.

:laila:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu alaikum,

This thread is by far the sweetest EVER! sister, you have a big heart <3 May Allah bless your soul and make you victorious in the life to come for indeed it is only by His might and mercy that guides us. I am very proud of you.....keep going until you reach the top. Wallahi, Allah has blessed you and put love for him in your heart. As I read your post, I had all sorts of emotions going through my head and one thing I know.....I was happy at the end because I have witnessed your love through your words.

Believe me Allah will give you something better! For indeed He multiplies the reward for those who give what is beloved to them for His sake and for the pleasure of pleasing him.

CoolServant

Oh brother I am but a child. My love for my Nabi (SAW) and my love for my Creator, and my desire for knowledge has led me far in my young life. I have seen proof that led me to think ahead of my age, Allah has shown me miracles, answered my prayers, talked to me, how could I have not such an intense love for Him? The disbelievers do not know what they are missing, they do not know that they are missing the love for the Supreme, for he is the Eternal, the Cherisher, and those who overflow in love for Him, he has double the love for them.:hearts:

Say, "If you love Allah, follow me (Muhammed): then will Allah love you and forgive your sins." -(Holy Quran [3:32])

The acts that I do now, will be the acts that I do 10 years from now, I must start young if I wish to experience the love of Allah at a greater scale. Inshallah I will become a pious muslim in the eyes of God.

As for knowledge, I am always seeking some. As also shown by Hadhrat Abdullah bin Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him).

He said:
"After the passing away of the Prophet (peace be upon him), I said to an Ansari friend of mine: 'The Prophet is not now with us. But a large number of Sahabah are still among us. Let us go to them and get knowledge of the Islamic practices.' He said: ' Who is going to approach you for learning a regulation in the presence of these eminent Sahabah?' I was not discouraged. I kept up my quest for knowledge and approached every person who was supposed to have heard something from the Prophet. I managed to gather substantial information from the Ansar. If on my visit to someone of the Sahabah, I found him asleep, I spread my shawl at the gate and sat waiting. Sometimes my face and body would get covered with dust, but I kept sitting till they woke and I was able to contact them. Some of them said: 'Abdullah you are the cousin of the Prophet; you could have sent for us. Why did you take the trouble of coming to our places?' I said to them: 'I must come to you, for I am a student and you are my teachers.' Some people for whom I had waited said: 'Since when have you been waiting for us?' I informed them that I had been sitting there for a pretty long time. They said: 'What a pity! You could have awakened us from our sleep.' I said: 'I did not like to disturb you for my own sake.' I thus carried on my pursuits, till there came a time when people began to flock to me for learning. My Ansari friend realized this at that time and remarked: 'This boy has surely proved himself more sensible than us.'"

Source: From the book "Stories of the Sahabah" by Shaikh Muhammad Zakariyya Kaandhlawi.

Besides our quest for knowledge to earn a livelihood in this world, we must as well gain sufficient knowledge of Islam. No matter what age group we belong to at this moment, we should atleast have that much Islamic knowledge with which we can turn our 24 hours life into worship. Those with knowledge and practice will be exalted in this world and in the hereafter.

:laila:

Well said
Let us all human do our best to fight in this world until our names reaches the heaven itself.
What we have is not a dream because we will make it a reality.(one of my fav quote)

windswirl

I would like to hear your logic, on why one should give, who should we give it to. and what does the giver gain, what does the receiver gain :)

My mother always said that those who give their wealth for the love of God alone, aren't really sacrificing their wealth at all. I was reading an islamic story that is also in the Quran about brothers who wanted to take over the fruit bisuness from their father. Their fruits were always bountiful, but only because their father gave a bunch of the harvest to the poor. So they had a plan after their father died that they'd pick the fruits in the middle of the night, so that the poor wouldn't know what happend to the fruits. :astag: While they were sleeping, a fire came and wiped their apple orchard. In the morning they went to check, and were baffled at the result of their assumption of a misdeed. They wept for forgiveness to their Lord for their selfishness. I learned from that story, that if you give charity just for Allah, Allah shall provide to you blessings. I recalled this later, and that is why I made my decision.