Does this count?

ATA95

I ♥ Allah (SWT)
As-Salamu Alaykum brothers and sisters. At the moment I have been praying to Allah just by talking to him (since I'm currently learning how to pray properly) whether I am on my way home from school, in the night when going to bed and whenever I feel I need to talk to Allah. I also did this before coming to Islam.

I just talk about general things like thanking Allah for a good day, asking for guidance, asking for his help in achieving all my life goals etc. I was wondering if this all counts towards somehow being a form of prayer despite it just being a conversation and does Allah appreciate me talking to him or is there no point since it isn't a proper prayer? Also when I do learn how to pray properly will it be ok to still have these conversations with Allah? Thanks.

Ajaz Bhat

:salam2:

Quran says in surah Rehman: "Is there any Reward for Good - other than Good?

Don't worry your deeds will get reward insha allah. But learn to pray as soon as possible.

For the right prayer is the one done in the manner of beloved prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

May Allah (subhana wa ta 'ala) accept your prayers
:wasalam:

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Following Hadith from Umar may help ease your doubts:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for." [Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 1, Number 1]

friend263

:salam2:

Quran says in surah Rehman: "Is there any Reward for Good - other than Good?

Don't worry your deeds will get reward insha allah. But learn to pray as soon as possible.

For the right prayer is the one done in the manner of beloved prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

May Allah (subhana wa ta 'ala) accept your prayers
Can you tell me the proper sunnah way of praying.

xAllahKnowsBestx

So, it's basically Dua right? You get rewarded for dua [supplication]. But it's better if you learn how to pray first.. And yeah, you can ask dua at anytime as far as I'm aware. :)

sclavus

You know what, sister. It has been my question for a long time. I looked everywhere without satisfaction to the day one of my friends told me about this book:

The Prophet's Prayer - by Muhammad Nashirudin al-Albani

Karima80

:salam2: brother, this can be helpful. Glory be to Allaah, praise be to Allaah, there is no god except Allaah and Allaah is Most great, there is no god except Allaah and there is no power and no strength except with Allaah. This prayer I recite everyday still. Below you can read where I took it from.

"If a person is unable to recite al-Faatihah at all or is unable to learn it, or he has just become Muslim and the time for prayer has come and there is not enough time for him to learn it, then he is given a way out in the following hadeeth:

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Awfa said: A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “O Messenger of Allaah, teach me something of the Qur’aan that will suffice me, for I cannot read.” He said, “Say: Subhaan-Allaah wa’l-hamdu Lillaah wa laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa Allaahu akbar wa laa hawla wa la quwwata illa Billaah (Glory be to Allaah, praise be to Allaah, there is no god except Allaah and Allaah is Most great, there is no god except Allaah and there is no power and no strength except with Allaah).” The man made a grabbing gesture with his hand (indicating that he had learned a lot) and said, “This is for my Lord, what is there for me?” He said, “Say: Allaahumma ighfir li warhamni wahdini warzuqni wa ‘aafini (O Allaah, forgive me, have mercy on me, guide me, and grant me provision and good health).” He made another grabbing gesture with his other hand and stood up.

(Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 924; Abu Dawood, 832. Its isnaad was classed as jayyid by al-Mundhiri in al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb, 2/430. al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar indicated that it is hasan in al-Talkhees al-Habeer, 1/236)

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If a person does not know any Qur’aan, and he cannot learn it before the time for prayer is over, then he must say Subhaan-Allaah wa’l-hamdu Lillaah wa laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa Allaahu akbar wa laa hawla wa la quwwata illa Billaah (Glory be to Allaah, praise be to Allaah, there is no god except Allaah, Allaah is Most great and there is no power and no strength except with Allaah), because Abu Dawood narrated that a man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “I am not able to learn anything of the Qur’aan, so teach me something that will suffice me.” He said, “Say, Subhaan-Allaah wa’l-hamdu Lillaah wa laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa Allaahu akbar wa laa hawla wa la quwwata illa Billaah.” The man said, “This is for my Lord, what is there for me?” He said, “Say: Allaahumma ighfir li warhamni warzuqni wahdini wa ‘aafini (O Allaah, forgive me, have mercy on me, grant me provision, guide me, and give me good health).” But he does not have to do more than say the first five phrases, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) only said that, and he only told him more when he asked for more. (end of Ibn Qudaamah’s words)

But if a person is able to recite part of al-Faatihah only, he should recite that which he is able to recite. And he has to repeat what he can recite well (i.e., so that the total number of what he recites will be seven verses, equivalent to the number of verses in al-Faatihah).

Ibn Qudaamah said:

It may be sufficient for him to say alhamdu-Lillaah (praise be to Allaah), laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god but Allaah) and Allaahu akbar (Allaah is most great), because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whatever you know of Qur’aan, recite it, otherwise praise Allaah, proclaim His Oneness and magnify Him.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood)"

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum brother. The Salat (prayer) which is done 5x a day is an act of worship, and the action that you are doing is known as Dua (supplication). Making dua IS a form of worship, but the Salat (5x a day prayer) has a higher status and is compulsary upon the Muslims-even if they travelling or fighting in the battlefeild.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with making Dua (supplications) to Allah (SWT), and it's something which is extremely encouraged. And when you can continue to make supplications even after you establish your Salat (prayer) 5x a day (and one of the best times to make supplications is when one is in prostration, because they will feel the closest to Allah (SWT) in that posture).

ATA95

I ♥ Allah (SWT)
Assalamu Aleykum brother. The Salat (prayer) which is done 5x a day is an act of worship, and the action that you are doing is known as Dua (supplication). Making dua IS a form of worship, but the Salat (5x a day prayer) has a higher status and is compulsary upon the Muslims-even if they travelling or fighting in the battlefeild.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with making Dua (supplications) to Allah (SWT), and it's something which is extremely encouraged. And when you can continue to make supplications even after you establish your Salat (prayer) 5x a day (and one of the best times to make supplications is when one is in prostration, because they will feel the closest to Allah (SWT) in that posture).
Aleikum-salam brother, thanks for your reply. I've now got a better understanding.

strive-may-i

As-Salamu Alaykum brothers and sisters. At the moment I have been praying to Allah just by talking to him (since I'm currently learning how to pray properly) whether I am on my way home from school, in the night when going to bed and whenever I feel I need to talk to Allah. I also did this before coming to Islam.

I just talk about general things like thanking Allah for a good day, asking for guidance, asking for his help in achieving all my life goals etc. I was wondering if this all counts towards somehow being a form of prayer despite it just being a conversation and does Allah appreciate me talking to him or is there no point since it isn't a proper prayer? Also when I do learn how to pray properly will it be ok to still have these conversations with Allah? Thanks.

Firstly, to talk your heart out to Almighty, even before you said your Shahada, is good! And continue to do it, but remember Allah is your Almighty! But do learn what you are expected to say during Salaat. and practise the 5 pillars of Islam..

Secondly, I liked your Icon Allah on a background of green leaves. Did you pick it from Wiki.... I like that :)

The others have aptly explained what more you are expected to do and you could do, be here... we need you too!

ATA95

I ♥ Allah (SWT)

Firstly, to talk your heart out to Almighty, even before you said your Shahada, is good! And continue to do it, but remember Allah is your Almighty! But do learn what you are expected to say during Salaat. and practise the 5 pillars of Islam..

Secondly, I liked your Icon Allah on a background of green leaves. Did you pick it from Wiki.... I like that :)

The others have aptly explained what more you are expected to do and you could do, be here... we need you too!
Thanks for your reply brother. I'll continue to talk to Allah and am going to learn how to pray on the weekend. With my Allah icon, yes I did pick it from wiki. It's a beautiful photo. I'll definitely be staying here on this wonderful forum. :)