My first few questions!!

GBintheUK

I've been thinking about what questions to ask and these are a few that popped into my mind as I've been thinking about what to ask.

1) Circuscision. When does this have to be done? Is it straight away at conversion, before or when you can fit it in? Also who does it and does there have to be witnesses or a cerimony held before or during the event?

2) I'm married and my family will probably not be converting. Is this a problem with me converting? Hopefully there isn't some Islamic law that says you cannot be married to a non muslim!

3) Friday prayers. I work in a school, and would have a problem with getting to the mosque for friday prayers. Obviously working in a school you get very generous holidays when I can attend. Is there any law that would help with me getting time off from work to attend friday prayers?

4) Prayer times at work. Muslims pray 5 times a day so obviously at least one of those prayer times would be during working hours. I would want to be a good muslim and do my prayers when they should be done. If work refuse to allow me time for my prayers are they within their rights to stop me?

Well there are four to get started! Hope you can help!

One final thing. I was browsing the forum the other night and began to watch a video in one of the threads which was by an american revert who was speaking in the UK about how he came to islam. I cannot now find it to finish watching it, has it been removed?

Thanks again!!

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
I've been thinking about what questions to ask and these are a few that popped into my mind as I've been thinking about what to ask.

1) Circuscision. When does this have to be done? Is it straight away at conversion, before or when you can fit it in? Also who does it and does there have to be witnesses or a cerimony held before or during the event?
What is the ruling on circumcision for a new Muslim, and when should he get circumcised?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Circumcision for the new Muslim is obligatory, as it is for one is born Muslim, and he has to get circumcised when he becomes Muslim, but if delaying it could serve some interest, such as avoiding putting him off Islam, because Islam not yet established in his heart, there is nothing wrong with that, because the evil that results from delaying circumcision is less serious than the evil that results from his apostasy from Islam after becoming Muslim. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him)

Al-Ijaabaat ‘ala As’ilah al-Jaaliyaaat, 1/3,4

Source

-There is no ceremony or witnesses.

-A doctor does it.

2) I'm married and my family will probably not be converting. Is this a problem with me converting? Hopefully there isn't some Islamic law that says you cannot be married to a non muslim!

May Allaah grant guidance to you and your family. You will have no problem reverting to Islam married to a non Muslim provided the Non muslim is a Jew or a Christian i.e The people of the Book.

This day [all] good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers.[Surah Ma'idah 5 :5]

Read This . It relates to your case.

If she's a pagan or polyathiest then you'll have to divorce her if you are certain that Quraan is the book of Allah and Mohammad:saw: is the messenger of Allaah. As Allaah says:

And if you know them to be believers, then do not return them to the disbelievers; they are not lawful [wives] for them, nor are they lawful [husbands] for them. But give the disbelievers what they have spent. And there is no blame upon you if you marry them when you have given them their due compensation. And hold not to marriage bonds with disbelieving women, but ask for what you have spent and let them ask for what they have spent. That is the judgement of Allah; He judges between you. And Allah is Knowing and Wise. [al-Mumtahanah 60:10]

3) Friday prayers. I work in a school, and would have a problem with getting to the mosque for friday prayers. Obviously working in a school you get very generous holidays when I can attend. Is there any law that would help with me getting time off from work to attend friday prayers?

None that I'm aware of, but like many you can ask them to be kind enough to let you go on a short break as you have religious duties to attend to. Many people understand and they often give such concessions. After all, the whole thing about freedom of religion and religious practices should come in useful.

4) Prayer times at work. Muslims pray 5 times a day so obviously at least one of those prayer times would be during working hours. I would want to be a good muslim and do my prayers when they should be done. If work refuse to allow me time for my prayers are they within their rights to stop me?

May Allaah guide you to Islaam and keep you firm on it. May Allaah make it easy for you.

The answer is same as above. We talk to the boss or head to give us some time to pray or we pray during the break time.

One final thing. I was browsing the forum the other night and began to watch a video in one of the threads which was by an american revert who was speaking in the UK about how he came to islam. I cannot now find it to finish watching it, has it been removed?

Thanks again!!

I'm not sure. Do you mean this one?

[yt]nEfBvlSh1dw[/yt]

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

Well there are four to get started! Hope you can help!

Thanks again!!

Greetings, May Allaah guide you.

Answer 1) It should be done, whenever possible.
Praise be to Allaah.
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) wrote a useful book on the rulings concerning the newborn, which he called Tuhfat al-Mawdood fi Ahkaam al-Mawlood. In this book he wrote an extensive chapter in which he spoke of circumcision and the rulings thereon. The following is a summary of that, with additional comments from some other scholars.

1 – The meaning of circumcision (khitaan):

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Khitaan is a noun describing the action of the circumciser (khaatin). It is also used to describe the site of the circumcision, as in the hadeeth, “When the two circumcised parts (al-khitaanaan) meet, ghusl become obligatory.” In the case of a female the word used is khafad. In the male it is also called i’dhaar. The one who is uncircumcised is called aghlaf or aqlaf.

Tuhfat al-Mawlood, 1/152

2 – Circumcision is the Sunnah of Ibraaheem and the Prophets after him:

Al-Bukhaari (6298) and Muslim (2370) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Ibraaheem (peace be upon him) circumcised himself when he was eighty years old, and he circumcised himself with an adze.”

An adze (qadoom) is a carpenter’s tool; it was also said that al-Qadoom is a place is Syria.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said:

It is most likely that what is referred to in the hadeeth is the tool. Abu Ya’laa narrated that ‘Ali ibn Rabaah said: “Ibraaheem was commanded to circumcise himself, so he circumcised himself with an adze and it was very painful for him. Then Allaah revealed to him saying, “You rushed to do it before We told you what tool to use.” He said, “O Lord, I did not want to delay obeying Your command.”

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Circumcision was one of the things with which Allaah tested Ibraaheem, His Close Friend. He did them perfectly so Allaah made him a leader of mankind. It was narrated that he was the first one who was circumcised, as mentioned above. What it says in al-Saheeh is that Ibraaheem circumcised himself when he was eighty years old. After him, circumcision continued among the Messengers and their followers, even the Messiah. He was circumcised and the Christians affirm that, and do not deny that, as they also affirm that he was forbidden the flesh of pigs…

Tuhfat al-Mawdood, p. 158-159

But the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) differed as to the ruling on circumcision.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The most correct view is that it is obligatory in the case of men and Sunnah in the case of women. The difference between them is that in the case of men, it serves an interest which has to do with one of the conditions of prayer, namely purity (tahaarah), because if the foreskin remains, when the urine comes out of the urethra, some of it will collect there, and this causes burning and infection every time the person moves, and every time the foreskin is squeezed, some drops of urine come out, thus causing najaasah (impurity).

In the case of women, it serves a useful purpose which is to reduce desire. This is seeking perfection, not removing something harmful.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 1/133-134

This is the view of Imam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him). Ibn Quddamah said in al-Mughni (1/115): As for circumcision, it is obligatory for men and it is good in the case of woman, but it is not obligatory for them.

3 – Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Abu’l-Barakaat said in his book al-Ghaayah: In circumcision of a man, the skin at the tip of the penis (the foreskin) is removed; if he only removes most of it, that is permissible. It is mustahabb to circumcise females provided that is not done in an extreme manner. It was narrated that ‘Umar said to a woman who circumcised females, “Leave some of it if you circumcise (a girl).” Al-Khallaal said in his Jaami’: What is cut when circumcising: Muhammad ibn al-Husayn told me that al-Fadl ibn Ziyaad told them: Ahmad was asked, How much should be cut in circumcision? He said, Until the glans (tip of the penis) becomes visible.

Ibn al-Sabbaagh said in al-Shaamil: What is obligatory in the case of a man is to cut the skin on the tip of the penis until the entire glans becomes visible. In the case of a woman, it means cutting the skin that looks like the comb of a rooster at the top of the vagina, between the two labia; if it is cut the base of it should be left like a date pit.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The well-known correct view is that everything covering the glans must be cut.

Al-Majmoo’, 1/351

Al-Juwayni said:

The hadeeth indicates that not too much of it should be removed (in the case of women), because he said, “Leave something sticking out and do not go to extremes in cutting.”

Tuhfat al-Mawdood, 190-192

The point is that in the case of males, all the skin covering the tip of the penis should be cut, but in the case of females only a part of the skin that is like a rooster’s comb at the top of the vagina should be cut.

4 – The wisdom behind circumcision

With regard to a man, he cannot be clean from urine unless he is circumcised, because drops of urine collect underneath the foreskin and he cannot be sure that they will not drip and make his clothes and body impure. Hence ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas was very strict on the issue of circumcision. Imam Ahmad said: Ibn ‘Abbaas was very strict on this matter, and it was narrated that there is no Hajj and no prayer for him, i.e., if a person is not circumcised his Hajj and prayer are not valid. Al-Mughni, 1/115

With regard to the wisdom behind the circumcision of women, it is to regulate their desire so it will be moderate.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about whether women should be circumcised or not. He replied:

Praise be to Allaah. Yes, they should be circumcised, i.e., the top of the piece of skin that looks like a rooster’s comb should be cut. The Messenger of Allaah (S) said to the woman who did circumcisions: “Leave something sticking out and do not go to extremes in cutting. That makes her face look brighter and is more pleasing to her husband.” That is because the purpose of circumcising a man is to make him clean from the impurity that may collect beneath the foreskin. But the purpose of circumcising women is to regulate their desire, because if a woman is not circumcised her desire will be strong. Hence the words “O son of an uncircumcised woman” are used as an insult, because the uncircumcised woman has stronger desire. Hence immoral actions are more common among the women of the Tatars and the Franks, that are not found among the Muslim women. If the circumcision is too severe, the desire is weakened altogether, which is unpleasing for men; but if it is cut without going to extremes in that, the purpose will be achieved, which is moderating desire. And Allaah knows best.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 21/114

5 – It is permissible to pay money for circumcision.

Ibn Qudaamah said:

It is permissible to pay money for circumcision and for medical treatment. We do not know of any difference of opinion on this matter, because it is doing something that is needed and which is allowed in sharee’ah. So it is permissible to pay money for it, like all other permissible actions.

Al-Mughni, 5/314.

Islam Q&A

Answer 2)
Praise be to Allaah.
We appreciate your confidence in us, and we ask Allaah to make us as you think we are.

Firstly:

Please note, may Allaah guide you, that it is not permissible for a Muslim man to marry a non-Muslim woman, unless she is of the people of the Book (Jewish or Christian).

See question no. 8015.

If she becomes Muslim, there is nothing wrong with you marrying her in that case.

Secondly:

Try to make sure that your marriage has the approval of your parents, because the approval of your parents will have a good effect on your married life, and this is part of the honouring of parents for which a man will be rewarded.

Thirdly:

With regard to changing the name, Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

It is not essential to change the name unless it is a name that is not permitted in sharee’ah, such as names which indicate servitude and submission to something other than Allaah and the like, which must be changed. Similarly if it is a name that is used exclusively by the kuffaar and no one else, then it must be changed lest one resemble the kuffaar thereby and lest one feel an attachment to this name which is exclusively for the kuffaar or be accused of not having become Muslim yet.

See al-Ijaabaat ‘ala As’ilah al-Jaaliyaat, pp. 4-5.

In the future her changing her name will please your parents, so there is nothing wrong with your convincing her to change it to please your parents.

Fourthly:

You should pray istikhaarah so that your Lord will help you to choose that which is best for you in this world and in the hereafter. You can learn how to pray istikhaarah in question no. 2217.

We ask Allaah to help you to do that which He loves and which pleases Him and to bless us with wives and children who will bring us joy.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Answer 3) and Answer 4) would be better answered by brothers and sisters living in the same side of the world you are. I do not actually face those problems. Alhamduli-Allaah.

esperanza

revert of many years
salamalaykum brother
i think you should ask your management about friday prayer...as far as i know students are given time off to attend friday prayer( in schools and universities) so why not teachers
as for the daily prayers...hopefully you cam manage the dhuhr prayer in your lunch time and the asr prayer right now should be after school finishes and as days get shorter at end of school time,so inshalla you can work things out....

GBintheUK

Thank you for all your answers, they have been very helpful!

I've got a couple more that I would like to ask if I may?

I will number them in sequance with the others so that if anyone else would like to contribute to the earlier questions they can just refer to the number.

5) Learning to Pray. The Mosque that I am going to visit runs classes for children but not adults. How do you go about learning how to pray in arabic, or to do the ritual washing before you pray?

6) Arabic. Do you have to learn arabic? There are lots of arabic phrases such as greetings etc on this site and no doubt in a mosque. Are there classes at Mosques that teach arabic to adults?

7)Name. I've seen than many reverts to Islam from western countries take arabic names, is this a requirement of converting? If it is how do you go about picking the right name for youself?

Dress. I've noticed that many western reverts take to wearing clothes from arabic countries. Is there a specific dress code for Islam?

Thanks for all your answers so far, you are being a great help.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
5) Learning to Pray. The Mosque that I am going to visit runs classes for children but not adults. How do you go about learning how to pray in arabic, or to do the ritual washing before you pray?

You can begin with this for prayers:

Salaah (Prayer) - At the beginning: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...72&postcount=8

Seeking refuge from the Shaytaan: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...77&postcount=9

Soorah al-Faatiha: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=10

Salaah - Bowing: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=11

Salaah - Rising from Bowing: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...4&postcount=13

Salaah - After rising from Bowing: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=14

Salaah - Whist prostrating: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=15

Salaah - Supplication between the two prostrations: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...9&postcount=17

Salaah - Tashahhud (the sitting position): http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=19

Salaah - Send prayers upon the Prophet : http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=20

Salaah - what to say before ending the prayer (you can say additional supplications here): http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=21

As for abalution:

[yt]SSNuv0eT63c[/yt]

6) Arabic. Do you have to learn arabic? There are lots of arabic phrases such as greetings etc on this site and no doubt in a mosque. Are there classes at Mosques that teach arabic to adults?

It is good to know arabic. To understand and be able to read the Quraan and all. You can check it with the Imaam at your mosque if not there are sites that teach Arabic online.

7)Name. I've seen than many reverts to Islam from western countries take arabic names, is this a requirement of converting? If it is how do you go about picking the right name for youself?

That's not necessary unless you name means something bad like we had a sister here named "Tiffany" which she said meant trinity. So she changed it. But we have many brothers and sisters here keeping there old name. It's fine Inshaa'Allaah.

Dress. I've noticed that many western reverts take to wearing clothes from arabic countries. Is there a specific dress code for Islam?

There is a dress code of both men and women. You can check yours here

You can wear "anything" keeping in view this dress code.

GBintheUK

Just had this question pop into my head!!

9) when I visit the Mosque and meet the Imam, is there a specific title I need to use to address him? Is there anything specific I shouldn't say or do when meeting the Imam like shaking hands or other greeting?

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Just had this question pop into my head!!

9) when I visit the Mosque and meet the Imam, is there a specific title I need to use to address him? Is there anything specific I shouldn't say or do when meeting the Imam like shaking hands or other greeting?

:salam2:
Welcome to Islam and to TTI dear brother !!!

Just say "As-Salam-o-alikum" to Imam and that should be enough. This is the Islamic greeting for everyone.

I hope and pray that Allah make this conversion easy for you and also put the same guidance in the heart of your family members as He has put in yours. Ameen.

Wassalam.
:wasalam:

GBintheUK

:salam2:
Welcome to Islam and to TTI dear brother !!!

Just say "As-Salam-o-alikum" to Imam and that should be enough. This is the Islamic greeting for everyone.

I hope and pray that Allah make this conversion easy for you and also put the same guidance in the heart of your family members as He has put in yours. Ameen.

Wassalam.
:wasalam:

Thank you for your kind words and helpful answer to my question.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Hello Brother , for a name, on Judgement day we will be called by our names so it is nice to have a good muslim name to be called by, that was what I was told when I converted many years ago, but it is compulsary.

Slowly you will pick up many phases and arabic words that are used by muslims every day, dont worry too much if you cant learn them all at once, when you mix with muslims you will find that you will pick things up with out even relising it inshallah.

I wish you all the best in your new journey to the truth.

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

Today I learned that circumcision is obligatory. I have been avoiding it. Few months back a revert from the Masjid got circumcised and he told me that it requires a rest of at least a week just not cause of the pain only but the clothing that needs to be put up after surgery in no way allows you to go beyond your home.

I requested the surgeon to carry the surgery in G.A but he insists on procedure under L.A and it sounds me terrible.

Hope InshaAllah, to take a bold step ahead and get circumcised.

Regards.