Why do I hide my Islam?

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum

Once I make the commitment to Allah and Islam, I do not plan on hiding my light under a bushel basket. Who is anyone who's opinion of me should matter more than Allah. When following the path of The Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) it is, in my humble opinion, important to fear no man and to only fear Allah's Anger.

I second that.

I'd say that's easy! The Quran is about 80% the size of the New Testament, which itself is less than a third of the size of the Old Testament, so your new task is much easier than your old one ;)

People know the New Testament by heart. Just ..woah

May Allaah make us all Hufaadh of the Qur'aan;

وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ
{Surah Qamar}

I'm inspired.

Abdul25

Logical Believer
asslam o alaikum..

i am new to this site, i am a Muslim from Pakistan doing masters in Germany,

it is difficult to practice Islam in western countries,

little example, when i go out with my Islamic cap on , people stare at me, they say bad words, they mock at me, and they make fun of Islam, i have experienced it many times, but i always pray to Allah to guide me on the right path and do not let me stray .

may Allah guide all us

hana*

As salamo alaikome

Let me start by saying that I am as American as white bread and apple pie but my own country has me so upset about the way some people are treated if they are just a little different...........(I dont mean to offend anyone because this does not include the way ALL people act alhamdulillah).

I wore hijab during this past Ramadan to honor Islam and I was fired from one of my jobs because of it. I have had difficulty in all areas of my life since I have reverted but that was the most devastating for me since now I am not able to wear hijab anymore. I was asked by my current employer to please NOT wear hijab to work (even though he is a devout Muslim and very dedicated to Islam). I cant be mad at him because the point he made is TRUE...........in this country you are soooooooo judged by your appearance it is insane.

I am SO proud to be Muslim. I would love to shout it from the rooftop and make EVERYONE aware that this is my life and who I am but I need to survive in this world and the only way to do that is to hide the fact that I adore this perfect and most beautiful religion.

I have mentioned it to a few people but most of them look at me as if I just told them I have a deadly disease or something. Most dont even know what being a Muslim means. One guy asked me out and when I told him I cant date because I am Muslim he said "geez its just a religion". I didnt even offer an explanation to that comment. NO it is NOT just a religion........it is a way of life. Being a Muslim is the most important and precious thing in my life but sadly.......not too many people know that about me and that breaks my heart. :girl3:

sister, i really feel for you.. however, i think it may be related to the fact that you live in an area of little to no muslims. people who have not intermixed with Muslims (due to there being none) tend to have a phobia and many misconceptions for Islam, based on what they have heard via media, magazines etc. there is alot of ignornance around the common people, and like yourself, many asked me why I covered my hair and if it was due to cancer etc so, by wearing hijab, we are doing da'awah and rectifying misconceptions everywhere we go.

I agree with you that people are judged by appearance, it is the same situation here in UK, but to go to extremes as to fire a person for wearing hijab is discrimination and an employer can end up in court as a result of unfair dismissal. If we agree to letting such people treat us like this, then they have won over us.

take for example people who are homosexual: they, at first were ridiculed and were outcasts, but they took to the streets, had their parades and were proud of whom they are. now they are an accepted part of western society. likewise, we must stand up to who we are and be proud, for we are on the right.

May Allah give you the strength to wear Hijab again, as, on the day of judgement no excuse will be strong enough or persuasive in front of the Creator. All the best to you.

hana*

Dear Frank:

I see that you have your copy of the Quran now alhamdulilah and actually you sound Muslim mashaAllah. im sure you will be able to grasp arabic very fast as you have a natural affinity to languages mashaAllah and in no time you will be reading the Quran in arabic.

I hope to congratulate you soon to this faith

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Asalum Alaikum, Hana and shokran for your kind words. I have a translation of the Quran, a transliteration, translation, and Arabic combination of the Quran. These two I have committed to reading each day and I have placed one copy in my living room and one in my bedroom. I do not own a television; consequently, I am able to find time to read, meditation, and study the Quran and Islam.

Again, shokran.

hana*

wa'alaikum asalam,

it is so inspiring to see people enquiring and entering Islam despite all the negative publicity, the rate of growth in Islam is exponential subhanAllah.

I wish you and all those seeking to learn arabic (and Islam) every success and ease. Understanding the Quran in arabic opens up a whole new world, it brings tears to the eyes, goosebumps to the skin and awe to the heart. It is something far from what any description can provide.

What is so amazing about the Quran is that, we, as Muslims can read the same verses repetitively every day, even several times in the day and yet never become bored or exhausted from these verses. For example, I have read surah Yusuf and Surah Maryam an infinite number of times, and yet, every time I read it, it is as if it is the first time I have read it and never fails to grasp me. This is not the case for any other book found today because all other books are the words of creation.

anyway, just a thought i wanted to share.

GregAbdul

the question you raise is at the heart of the matter. al hamdulillah you are honest and admit people harass you. Now what would Prophet Muhammad do? Did Prophet Muhammad hide his religion so people would not tease him? Did Prophet Muhammad hide his faith in Allah so he could make a buck? Islam is the middle path. You should not be outrageous in your dress or extreme. But should you dress EXACTLY like Christians and Westerners so they won't be offended by you? There lack of reaction to you when you dress like them, is that they can't see what you really are. You are comfortable with that?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

First, let me welcome you brother to our TTI family.

You ask a serious question. I actually wrote something about using the words and denotations of those not blessed with Islam, earlier today.

You can dress in a modest manner and look 100% Muslim. You do not have to look 100% Arab. That is a minor issue.

What is the look of a Muslim, would be the question I ask.

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

We seek the absolute truth,hold it and even propagate it at our individual level by afforded strength. But the irony is that we conceal it just like our sins. My Dad is still in dilemma as regards to my religious identity.

Regards.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

You have hit upon a tad of Truth. If I were to go an excel in the world it would please everyone. If I made enough money to go and purchase a shiny new Mercedes-Benz everyone would want to ride in my car.

If I decided to celebrate and have a party with champagne and lobster tail and a live band with two dance floors there would be line a mile long outside my house.

When I want to celebrate my faith and share with others the joy I have and can not give up I do not see many takers.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Salams Brother and congratulations on being a muslim,

You have been given the best gift in the world by AllahTa;laa you are so blessed to be chosen to be given a chance of being one of the dewlers of paradise, dont be afriad of the people and their gossip as i have found out in life people have always got some thing to say about every thing and every body good or bad , it is human nature.

Hold your head up high and be who you are and you will find after the general gossip etc that people will repect you for who you are and what you belive in. Dont worry be strong and enjoy your life as a muslim , I say this through my own personal experiance,
Inshallah you will fing the strength to do this and have a happy life.

w/salams

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters

It is not fair to hide the light. When Muhammad (peace be upon him) received it, he shared it with the entire world without which we would be in the darkness and lost souls.

He declared it to the entire world and left it to them to take it or leave it. We should follow his example and this is what our Creator insists upon in His Holy book Quran.

As a reminder, look at the following letter of our beloved Prophet (peace be on him) to Heraclius:

"In the Name of Allâh, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

From Muhammad, the slave of Allâh and His Messenger to Hercules, king of the Byzantines.

Blessed are those who follow true guidance. I invite you to embrace Islam so that you may live in security. If you come within the fold of Islam, Allâh will give you double reward, but in case you turn your back upon it, then the burden of the sins of all your people shall fall on your shoulders.

Say ‘O people of the book, come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allâh, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allâh.’ Then, if they turn away, say: ‘Bear witness that we are Muslims.’

esperanza

revert of many years
JD19,,,salam brother

dont be afraid of what people think....Allah will give you the strength to face whatever people do....
but dont worry too much..you may be surprised and find people take it much easier than you thought,,

im going by experience in UK ,and would hope yours wont be much different

i becaME MUSLIM TWENTY YEARS AGO,, went to live in an islamic country,,,but came back every year to london..i came back as a muslim wearing hijab....none of my friends treated me any differently..they still acepted me as the person they had known...
even friends of my mother or people i knew just a little treated me the same,,,
maybe iwas just lucky,,,but ithink youll be surprised that people dont take it as badly as you expect ..and if they do...well maybe they wernt really your friend

and most importantly your muslim your happy to be muslim..you have found the right path hamdilla so never be ashamed or afraid of that,,,

ahsanul

Assalamu alaikum
my brother i just want to say.... surah Al Ankabut (29:69)
"And those who strive for Us - We will surely guide them to Our ways. And indeed, Allah is with the doers of good."

inshah Allah... May Allah help u.....

sachin4islam

Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

You have hit upon a tad of Truth. If I were to go an excel in the world it would please everyone. If I made enough money to go and purchase a shiny new Mercedes-Benz everyone would want to ride in my car.

If I decided to celebrate and have a party with champagne and lobster tail and a live band with two dance floors there would be line a mile long outside my house.

When I want to celebrate my faith and share with others the joy I have and can not give up I do not see many takers.

Assalamu Alaikum: Respected Sister.

Today's social infrastructure is based on materialism. But except Muslims who else can understand this. Why?. Because we desire to meet our Lord. If this is what one wants he/she will have to crush materialism and walk upon it.

Lest,our parents could comprehend and understand it.

Regards.

bari

:salam2:
May Allah protect the faith of ours. Every situation warrants caution. One day insha Allah we all be able to claim our beliefs. Let us make dua so that Allah allows us to see that day.Pp o