World's Best Airlines - Worst Airlines

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
World's Best Airlines

Find out which airlines earn high marks with passengers, and which don’t.

By Everett Potter - 9/23/2011

Tired fliers often think about how nice it would be to stretch out across a whole row of economy-class seats and take a nap. But let’s face it: airline seats were simply not designed for napping. That is, until Air New Zealand introduced its "Sky Couch," with flip-up seats created for just that purpose.

Comforts like these are just one reason ANZ was voted the No. 4 World’s Best Airline in our annual World’s Best Awards, where our readers ranked 76 airlines
based on cabin comfort, in-flight service, customer service, value, and food.

So which airlines came out on top? International airlines virtually own the top 20 World’s Best Airlines; only two U.S. carriers made the list. Asian and Middle Eastern carriers dominate the top 10, with scores that are remarkably consistent from year to year, such as this year’s No. 3-ranked Etihad Airways, a United Arab Emirates-based carrier.

One thing is clear: the quest by the top-ranked airlines to become even better is raising the stakes. The
leading carriers are vying to upgrade seating in every class—so-called thin seats in economy that allow everyone to recline without disturbing neighbors are all the rage among Asian carriers. For example, Korean Air, which ranks No. 9, earned points for its ergo-friendly “slim seats.”

But ultimately,
it’s service that makes—or breaks—an airline’s ranking. Great on-the-ground customer service is vital to a high ranking. But even more important—and more highly weighted—is in-flight service. After all, you probably won’t remember a cramped coach seat, but you’ll definitely remember (and possibly complain about) a rude flight attendant.

So check out the World’s Best Airlines:

No. 1 Singapore Airlines

In every category of our awards, Singapore Airlines consistently outpaces the pack. Even though its scores went down—slightly—since 2010, it still beats the competition, thanks to innovations such as
in-flight Wi-Fi, entertainment systems that allow you to play your own video and audio through your iPod, and USB ports for all passengers. But it’s the famous in-flight service—credit the legendary Singapore Girl in her sarong designed by Parisian couturier Pierre Balmain—that still keeps the rest of the pack at bay.

No. 2 Emirates

Ranked No. 2 as it was in 2010, the airline has improved its scores and even taken on a better reputation for
value and food, while steadfastly maintaining its reliability for both in-flight service and customer service. Its reputation as an innovator—it pioneered laptop Wi-Fi in 2004 and mobile phones back in 2008—is another reason it remains one of our readers’ favorites.

No. 3 Etihad Airways

High marks all around, but the second-highest scores for in-flight service are the hallmarks of this flag carrier of the United Arab Emirates. On-board comforts include
Cradle Recline seats in economy class, for a seat pitch of 32 to 34 inches. Apart from 600 hours of in-flight entertainment, you can charge and play your iPodand other devices through its E-BOX System.

No. 4 Air New Zealand

Improved cabin comfort and an increase in value helped Air New Zealand climb up the ranks from seventh position in last year’s poll. Food, in-flight service, and customer service also went up, just enough to nudge the carrier into our top five category. The airline’s Skycouch—
three economy seats that convert to a bed—must have helped the cabin comfort ranking.

No. 5 Virgin America

The highest-ranking domestic airline in our poll—and the only one in the top five—Virgin America scores impressively high marks with incremental improvements in every category. In other words, the airline founded on Virgin Atlantic’s formula for service, innovation, and attitude just keeps on getting better. The combination of
low fares and tech improvements—it’s installing Lufthansa Systems’ BoardConnect to radically upgrade its Red entertainment system to enable you to use your own devices—keep it at the forefront.

No. 6 Virgin Atlantic Airways

Close on the heels of its American offspring comes Sir Richard Branson’s flagship carrier, which pioneered cheek and style (not to mention
seat-back video and amenity kits in every class) and gave the customers what they wanted (including pioneering economy plus). Fliers seem to like it, judging by the scores that have edged up in every category since last year. But since the other airlines did even better, it slipped from last year’s No. 4 position.

No. 7 Cathay Pacific Airways

Cathay has always played second fiddle to Singapore when it comes to Asia-based airlines, and despite incremental improvements in every category except food—down just a tad—it slipped down from last year’s No. 5 ranking. But a flight on Cathay remains a singular pleasure. The “
fixed shell” economy seat means that no one can recline into your space (your seat reclines within your space).

No. 8 All Nippon Airways

The carrier that used to exist in the shadow of Japan Air Lines continues to move up the ranks from last year’s 11th position—and way ahead of JAL. Marked improvements in cabin comfort, in-flight service, customer service, and value helped. And that’s even before it introduced such innovations as
women’s-only bathrooms with Japanese-style bidet-toilets on the new Dreamliner 787.

No. 9 Korean Air

Korean Air edged up from tenth place last year, with readers giving it slightly better scores in every category. Noteworthy are the
ergonomically designed “slim seats” in economy with 34-inch pitch, not to mention the USB ports and chargers at every seat. The menus—Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Western are standard on every flight—have also improved.

No. 10 Thai International Airways

While Thai Airways improved in every category, other airlines did more. Hence the fall from last year’s No. 8 position. But it did rank higher with customer and
in-flight service, as well as food. After all, this carrier takes care of kids, with free toys, games, and books, and offers private Premium Economy cabins with 42-inch pitch seats with 122 degrees of recline. It’s just that the other guys pushed the envelope a bit further.

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
10 Most-Complained-About Airlines

Lost luggage and rude attendants may make you want to scream. Here are the U.S. airlines people complained about the most.

When Andrew Shrage discovered that his seatback TV wasn’t working on his JetBlue flight from Chicago to Boston, he didn’t wait until he landed to complain to the airline. Shrage, an editor at the website MoneyCrashers.com, tweeted @JetBlue before the plane took off, and the airline responded—with a $50 voucher.

Twitter may be changing how we complain to the airlines, but there’s still a lot to complain about. According to the latest Department of Transportation (DOT) report, the agency received nearly 3,600 complaints about airlines from January to June, 2011.

That's a lot of complaints, even if it is an improvement from the nearly 4,000 received over the same period last year. Not surprisingly,
complaints about flight delays and cancellations, rude or incompetent service, and baggage handling led the list.

But what these stats don’t tell you is that legions of consumers are now voicing their complaints directly with the airlines via Twitter. And the airlines—or at least some of them—are listening, responding, and in some cases being proactive and fixing the issues.

Of course, anyone can tweet anything; lodging an official complaint with the DOT means you have a serious gripe. Here are the U.S. airlines the DOT says have had the most—and least—complaints.

#10 Skywest Airlines
.77 complaints per 100,000 passengers

The largest independently owned regional airline boasts a low complaint rate even though it flew almost 12 million passengers over the first six months of 2011.

#9 Atlantic Southeast Airlines

.96 complaints per 100,000 passengers

Atlantic Southeast will merge with ExpressJet later this year. Ideally, the newly formed airline will have a Twitter presence, because this airline, which operates close to 1,000 flights every day in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean, does not.

#8 ExpressJet Airlines
1.01 complaints per 100,000 passengers

Express Jet has slipped from a rate of .70 last year, and its Twitter presence is an anemic placeholder. Let’s hope that when it merges with Atlantic Southeast later this year, a more dynamic social media presence will be part of the business plan.

#7 JetBlue Airways

1.07 complaints per 100,000 passengers

When JetBlue got on the Twitter bandwagon in the spring of 2007—one of the first big brands to jump in—its business plan was that it wanted to help customers. And according to the DOT, there are enough complaints to keep its customer-service folks busy.

#6 Delta Airlines

1.27 complaints per 100,000 passengers

Hands down, Delta holds the title of most improved. A
year ago, it was ranked the worst airlinefor complaints in virtually every category. Now that the bumpy merger with Northwest has emerged from the turbulence, Delta has cut its complaint rate nearly in half.

#5 American Airlines
1.50 complaints per 100,000 passengers

American logged 636 complaints from January to June, 2011. With nearly a quarter of a million Twitter followers, though, the airline has upped its game to try and handle problems before they become complaints.

#4 American Eagle Airlines

1.67 complaints per 100,000 passengers

The country’s largest regional carrier reported the
highest rates of flight cancellations and mishandled baggage in June, 2011, which certainly played a part in its shocking jump from a respectable complaint rate of .87 over the same period in 2010 to a whopping 1.67 this year.

#3 Continental Airlines

clip_image020.jpg
1.70 complaints per 100,000 passengers

Flight problems and customer service issues are the bane of Continental, and its complaint rate edged up from 2010.

#2 US Airways

1.73 complaints per 100,000 passengers

Flight issues and customer service remain major problems for this carrier. It’s routinely at the top of the barrel when it comes to complaints, despite the fact that it carries less than half the passengers that Southwest does.

#1 United Airlines
2.01 complaints per 100,000 passengers

United didn’t fare well last year either—coming in at No. 2—but this year it grabs the title of
worst airline for passenger complaints.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I really love Delta, I've always flown Delta.
But these lists REALLY surprised me!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

Hmm.. I've been on Singapore Airlines and the air hostesses were not really that good, and I would certainly not rank them as giving the best service.

In my opinion, KLM airlines has always been the best - I've flown it numerous times and never a single complaint. The staff is always friendly and so helpful.

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com

Hmm.. I've been on Singapore Airlines and the air hostesses were not really that good, and I would certainly not rank them as giving the best service.

In my opinion, KLM airlines has always been the best - I've flown it numerous times and never a single complaint. The staff is always friendly and so helpful.

:wasalam:

whats KLM?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

KLM is the name of the Dutch airlines, headquartered in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Delta is good too. And they have good customer service.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Wa-alaykum-us-Salaam wa'Rahmatullaah,

What about PIA (Pakistan International Airlines)?! (<-I'm just joking) At one time they were very good, went through a dip (although the passengers treated the plane like home) and slightly recovered recently (I think). PIA actually played an important early part in the success of Emirates early on (I can't remember exactly the specifics, it was very interesting when I heard it).

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
Wa-alaykum-us-Salaam wa'Rahmatullaah,

What about PIA (Pakistan International Airlines)?! (<-I'm just joking) At one time they were very good, went through a dip (although the passengers treated the plane like home) and slightly recovered recently (I think). PIA actually played an important early part in the success of Emirates early on (I can't remember exactly the specifics, it was very interesting when I heard it).

Much of Middle East arab owe to Pakistan. It was Pakistan who helped them start their airlines, gave their pilots training and also trained with their military as well.

sis khadidja

proud to be muslim
:salam2: wow the lists surprise me.. i didn't expect Singapore i traveled with their airline and the air hostess was quite rude to be honest so they don't strike me as being the best i like the emirates there quite nice and i love delta too!! why would they be on the worse list there great :blackhijab: