Can Satan influence people to do wrong or evil things ?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am so glad to see you ask another question.

Yes, brother. Why do we constantly seek refuge from him. Why are we called to remember Allah whenever and wherever we can.
This is our battlefield. We have to rid ourselves of his whispers.

As for the politics...they plot and plan. They break treaties. They lie. They forget that this is a transitory life. They fear Muslims. They forget we know we are mere journeymen.

septithol

Banned
Hmm, interesting question. You'd have to more specifically define a couple of your terms, especially 'influence'. My own opinion, is that Satan or other evil spirits either can't, or usually won't choose to 'influence' you to the degree that they are actually controlling you and have destroyed your free will. First of all because I doubt if God would let them do that, and secondly, there really wouldn't be any point to that, from the Devil's point of view; evil has to be *chosen*, you can't make someone evil by controlling them. Case in point, suppose I were to tie puppet strings or something to you, and thereby physically force you to pick up a gun, point it at someone, and pull the trigger. It would be ludicrous to suggest that you were then a murderer, or that other people or God should punish you as a murderer.

That being the case, it would be pointless for the devil to 'influence' people to the point of actually controlling them, it would not get them into hell, and I doubt if God would let the devil do that anyways. So my guess is that the degree to which the devil 'influences' people, if at all, are in ways that leave the actual free choice up to people. The devil may give you reasons to do something evil, or create circumstances in the world where doing evil seems like the easiest way to get what you want, but the real choice is always going to be up to you.

Just as if, instead of tying puppet strings to you, I were to whisper in your ear and tell you that someone ought to be killed, perhaps I would tell you that the person was the reincarnation of Jack the Ripper. Which may or may not be true, and you might or might not believe it, but if you then pick up the gun and pull the trigger and kill that person, it was your free choice to do that. I might have 'influenced' you by telling you the person was the reincarnation of Jack the Ripper, but the choice was completely up to you.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
absolutely, the Shaytan can influence people to sin. that's why we make du'a to be protected from his influences. he is very real, he is a clear an open enemy to us. there is enmity between he and ourselves.

a_stranger

All are in trouble Save The perfectly devoted person.

:salam2:
And (remember) when thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am creating a mortal out of potter's clay of black mud altered, (28) So, when I have made him and have breathed into him of My Spirit, do ye fall down, prostrating yourselves unto him. (29) So the angels fell prostrate, all of them together (30) Save Iblis. He refused to be among the prostrate. (31) He said: O Iblis! What aileth thee that thou art not among the prostrate? (32) He said: I am not going to prostrate myself unto a mortal whom Thou hast created out of potter's clay of black mud altered! (33) He said: Then go thou forth from hence, for verily thou art outcast. (34) And lo! the curse shall be upon thee till the Day of Judgment. (35) He said: My Lord! Reprieve me till the day when they are raised. (36) He said: Then lo! thou art of those reprieved (37) Till an appointed time. (38) He said: My Lord! Because Thou hast sent me astray, I verily shall adorn the path of error for them in the earth, and shall mislead them every one, (39) Save such of them as are Thy perfectly devoted slaves.

a_stranger

In the Hadith, found in the books of Imam An-Nisa’i and Ahmad, the Prophet (Salla Allahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "Satan sat, waiting for the son of Adam in all his pathways. He sat for him on the path of Islam and he said do you become a Muslim and leave the religion of your fathers and grand fathers? And after this temptation to become a disbeliever, there are different ways where he takes the sons of Adam into innovation, desires and doubts".

Ershad

Hmm, interesting question. You'd have to more specifically define a couple of your terms, especially 'influence'. My own opinion, is that Satan or other evil spirits either can't, or usually won't choose to 'influence' you to the degree that they are actually controlling you and have destroyed your free will. First of all because I doubt if God would let them do that, and secondly, there really wouldn't be any point to that, from the Devil's point of view; evil has to be *chosen*, you can't make someone evil by controlling them. Case in point, suppose I were to tie puppet strings or something to you, and thereby physically force you to pick up a gun, point it at someone, and pull the trigger. It would be ludicrous to suggest that you were then a murderer, or that other people or God should punish you as a murderer.

Septithol, I find most of your opinions poorly analyzed. Anyhow, I am glad to give my views on them. Satan are not human. Neither were they created by human. They were created by God just like he created you and me. So you don't know what they can or they will. Only their creator will know.
Satan controls the mind. It creates illusions, traps the mind. In case you didn't know that mind can be forced into believing something is true- please see this - http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/n...t-to-life.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news. This is one of the debunked illusions and there might be more illusions, traps, paradoxes which our mind hasn't solved. Satan can take advantage of that. You overestimate your mind. And also, Satan is a test of Allah. It is not ludicrous to punish the murderer because the same God has warned you and gave you enough background on what Satan might do and also has given you enough knowledge to prevent it. Even after that, if you do, that is disobedience and you can be punished. Allah knows the best.
That being the case, it would be pointless for the devil to 'influence' people to the point of actually controlling them, it would not get them into hell, and I doubt if God would let the devil do that anyways. So my guess is that the degree to which the devil 'influences' people, if at all, are in ways that leave the actual free choice up to people. The devil may give you reasons to do something evil, or create circumstances in the world where doing evil seems like the easiest way to get what you want, but the real choice is always going to be up to you.
Guesswork doesn't work-both in science and life. You have to be rational. Free will is not something you created. It was given to you by God. Satan was created by God. God can test you. And you don't decide what God can do.
Just as if, instead of tying puppet strings to you, I were to whisper in your ear and tell you that someone ought to be killed, perhaps I would tell you that the person was the reincarnation of Jack the Ripper. Which may or may not be true, and you might or might not believe it, but if you then pick up the gun and pull the trigger and kill that person, it was your free choice to do that. I might have 'influenced' you by telling you the person was the reincarnation of Jack the Ripper, but the choice was completely up to you.
Satan influences you to do that. But in this life you cannot punish Satan. Like I said before, you have the choice, you are aware of things Satan can do- if you do after that, it is just disobedience. Allah mentions a lot about Satan in Qur'an. He says about things he can do to trap you. So your guess is wrong anyways. Satan has a very big punishment waiting in the hell by Allah.

gr8 muslim

yes satan must influence people. otherwise there would be hardly any sin as most people sin when satan whispers to them

a_stranger

Weapons against Satan.

Allah subhanahu wa taala explain in his book how can we defeat shaytan or satan. Believing in Allah , and reling on him, being grateful , and sincere to Allah Are weapons against satan.
"Indeed there is for him no authority over those who have believed and relied upon their Lord"( al Nahal: 99)

" Satan said, because you have put me in error, I will surely sit and wait for them on your straight path, then I will come to them from before them and from behind them, and on their right and on their left and you will not find most of them grateful to you"(Al-A’raf: 16-17). *!
*!

Ershad

Every person has a constant companion from among the jinn

Question:

Is there anything in Islam that is called the Qareen? I would like to know whether I have a Qareen. What does Islam say about this, or does it not exist at all?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, there is something which is called the qareen, which Allaah has caused to accompany every human being. This qareen pushes a person to do evil things and to disobey Allaah, with the exception of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as will be explained below.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“His companion (qareen) will say: ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression, (in disbelief, oppression, and evil deeds), but he was himself in error far astray.’

Allaah will say: ‘Dispute not in front of Me, I had already in advance sent you the threat.

The Sentence that comes from Me cannot be changed, and I am not unjust to the slaves’”

[Qaaf 50:27-29]
Ibn Katheer said: “ ‘His companion (qareen) will say’ – Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), Mujaahid, Qutaadah and others said: this refers to the devil who is appointed to accompany him. ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression’ means, he will disown that person on the Day of Judgement, and will say, ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression’ meaning, I did not lead him astray.

‘but he was himself in error far astray’ means, he was misguided in himself, receptive to falsehood and resistant to the truth – as Allaah says elsewhere (interpretation of the meaning):

‘And Shaytaan (Satan) will say when the matter has been decided: “Verily, Allaah promised you a promise of truth. And I too promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no authority over you except that I called you, and you responded to me. So blame me not, but blame yourselves. I cannot help you, nor can you help me. I deny your former act in associating me (Satan) as a partner with Allaah (by obeying me in the life of the world). Verily, there is a painful torment for the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers).”’

[Ibraaheem 14:22]

The phrase ‘Dispute not in front of Me’ refers to what Allaah will say to the human and his companion from among the jinn, when they dispute before Him, and the human says, ‘O Lord, this one led me astray from the Reminder after it had come to me’ and the devil will say, ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression, (in disbelief, oppression, and evil deeds), but he was himself in error far astray’ – i.e., from the path of truth.

Allaah will say, ‘Dispute not in front of Me’ meaning, in My presence. ‘I had already in advance sent you the threat’ means, I sent the warning on the lips of the Messengers, and I sent down the Books, so proof and evidence was established against you.

‘The Sentence that comes from Me cannot be changed’ – Mujaahid said, this means I have passed My judgement.

‘and I am not unjust to the slaves’ means, I do not punish anyone for the sin of another, and I only punish a person for his sin after proof has been established against him.”

Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/227

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no one among you but a companion from among the jinn has been assigned to him.” They said, “Even you, O Messenger of Allaah?’ He said, “Even me, but Allaah helped me with him and he became Muslim (or: and I am safe from him), so he only enjoins me to do that which is good.”

According to another report, “… There is assigned to him a companion from among the jinn and a companion from among the angels.”

Narrated by Muslim, 2814

Al-Nawawi included this in a chapter which he called: Baab Tahreesh al-Shaytaan wa Ba’thihi Saraayaahu li Fitnat il-Naas wa anna ma’a kulli insaanin Qareen (Chapter on the evil of the Shaytaan and his sending his troops to tempt the people, and the fact that there is a jinn-companion with every human being).

Al-Nawawi said:

“Fa aslamu (and I am safe from him) or fa aslama (and he became Muslim). These are two well known versions. One means ‘and I am safe from his evil and his temptation.’ The other means that ‘the qareen became Muslim and became a believer, so he does not tell me to do anything but good’.

There was some scholarly dispute as to the form of the word. Al-Khattaabi said that the word was Fa aslamu (and I am safe from him); al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad said that it was fa aslama (and he became Muslim), which is more correct, because the hadeeth says, ‘so he only enjoins me to do that which is good’.

They also disputed as to the meaning of the word fa aslama. Some said that it meant that he (the qareen) submitted and surrendered, as it was narrated elsewhere than in Saheeh Muslim, fa astaslama [he gave up and surrendered]. It was also suggested that it means that he became a Muslim and a believer. The latter is the apparent meaning. Al-Qaadi said: Note that the ummah is unanimously agreed that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was protected from the Shaytaan in physically, mentally and with regard what he said. This hadeeth contains a warning against the temptation of the qareen and his whispers and temptations. We know that he is with us so we should beware of him as much as possible.

Sharh Muslim, 17/157, 158

It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If anyone of you is praying, he should not let anyone pass in front of him; if that person insists then he should fight him for there is a qareen with him.”

Narrated by Muslim, 506.

Al-Shawkaani said:

“The phrase ‘for there is a qareen with him’—according to al-Qaamoos [an Arabic-language dictionary] the word qareen refers to a companion; the Shaytaan always accompanies man and never leaves him. This is what is referred to here.”

Nayl al-Awtaar, 3/7

And Allaah knows best.

Source: islamqa.com/en/ref/26226/qareen

Jsmih

Can Satan influence people to do wrong or evil things ? Like could Satan influence Leaders of Nations to harm Muslims or just harm people in general ? I don't mean to make this a political thread but I believe Satan or the Devil influences Western Leaders to do wrong. What does the Holy Quran and or the Hadith say thank you ?

http://www.islamawareness.net/Jinn/fatwa_whispers.html
Salam,

Satan does influence but it cannot force us to do evil.

Satan just makes evil look good to us and we then fall into his trap.

On Day of Judmgent, Satan will say to his followers, do not blame me, because I did not have any power over you, I just called you toward evil and made false promises with you and you ran after me, so blame your own self now.