DEPRESSED>>>WHAT CAN I DO

a_stranger

:salam2:

Dear sister all of us have some Depression , since we are humans , and we live in this dunya which is full of troubles and worries, but believe me you are so important to all of us , your posts tells about a kind pure heart, alhamduliAlalh. Remembering Allah by heart and tounge can make a big difference in our life........pondering in his creartion renews faith, reciting Quran and trying to understand meanings of Quran helps a lot. I think we have this depression because we are lazy in worshipping Allah , then Allah subahnahu wa taala put those feeling in our hearts , if we turn to him again with sincerity things change. As long as you are muslem , knowing your Lord and your goal in this life no fear no sorrow inshaAllah. And Allah knows best.

esperanza

revert of many years
shukran sister,,,yes your right ..in eed to turn to Allah more and remember him and his blessings constantly

Valerie

Depression isn't always something you can talk yourself put of. I told myself every day how lucky I was to have a roof over my head, food on the table and a healthy family. Sometimes, there's more to it than that. I didn't want to live. No amount of talking to myself would have helped that. Sometimes, professional help is necessary.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

You make a valid statement. However, we have to decided what is the best of help. The problem with much professional help is that is embedded in disbelief. The psychiatrist maybe a non-believer. Now, how can one who does not believe in the Creator have knowledge of what is ailing the soul. The chemicals that are prescribed are not tested properly. Research is now describing how many anti-depressants seem to crystallize the pineal glad..i.e. Prozac.

Depression is a symptom of the soul. The soul is hurting. You can pray your way out of depression. You work your way out of depression. You give your way out of depression. ( salat and zakat )

Faith is alive. Faith flows. Faith is active. You polish your heart. You cry for the Help of Allah.

( most depression is found in Northern Europeans and their descendants. They believe it to be a genetic thing. In major studies those with generations of depression found ancestors in NE.) Depression is not a Muslim thing. Our remedy is simple. Prayer, zakat, dhikr, dua and the medicines of the Prophet.

Valerie

My point was, as non-professionals, sometimes it isn't our place to diagnose and treat real medical problems. As far as I know, no one on this forum is an expert and can make those decisions. I would take a professional's opinion over forum opinions. The doctor I saw didn't talk about religion to me (positive or negative). Depression isn't just feeling sad or a bad mood. I can't just pray and feel better. Maybe you can, but it isn't the same for everyone. I would think the medicine comment would be all over the news. I must have missed it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

I was a therapist. I would never make an assessment over the internet. I am speaking in general terms.

I read so much...I read this article a couple of days ago..on line...if I find it I will PM you...but the point is that this will not make the news. Big-Pharma wants to keep the US population medicated.

Now...the clinicians get paid to medicate. They win trips to Hawaii and Europe for prescribing meds. They get to take the whole family with them.

Back to topic...the trouble with treating depression without any spiritual component is this. The physical symptoms may be addressed. The pains, the sleeplessness, the nausea, etc may be treated by chemicals. But the core issues are not treatable by chemicals. The core symptoms are spiritual. The emptiness, the loneliness, the lost in the world, drugs do not cure that. Faith does.

I question how a person can place the tender soul in the hands of one who does not believe. I guess that is the reason I can no longer be a clinician. I have a simple answer..the cure is Allah.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Just one week since Ramadan finished and ifind myself sinking back into depression

during Ramadan itried to stay calm to focus on fasting prayer reading quran,,,but now ifind it hard to keep[ calm

in the last years many things happend which have shaken my life and eomtionally deeply affected me ,and my health issuffering too,im stressed ,dont sleep,often get sick,,,

some things happpened to me ,others peoples actions which affected my life,other things my own fault,my own mistakes which affected me deeply

now ifind myself sitll sinking into periods of deep depression sadness confusion

i have dealt wiht many of the issues,,,but istill feel i have lost my way in this world,sometimes idont know myself and dont know how to live my life

i joined this site,becasue i really need a place like this,as my faith has also weakened in this time
but at the same time...when i see some of the brothers and sisters here ..it makes mere reliase my weaknesses,,,ifeel ashamed..i have been a\revert for 20 years..but some here new reverts or for short time have such strong faith are so commited and trying with such effort to lead a good life
sometimes ijust feel like a failure
asometimes ifeel icant continue living where iam and the way iam
i live in an islamiccountry,,,i have a family hamdilla....
but at same time ifeel so lost
and feel im in a crossroads in my life

...........................................dont know what to do

as salam 'alaykum waraamtu-llah

I dont know how old are you, but as far as I've read your post and replies, those dont indicate that you are even 24/25.

however, i dont want to knoweven.

sister, at the age of below 25, what is depression, we will be able to explain even.
if in this age our brothers and sister going to have depression, what about the coming life, family, children, responsibilities.
but may Allah save us from the fitnah of modernism, they dont believe in family or marriage, or striving or struggling, becasue they are so depressed from before, and they dont want to be more depressed.

may Allah save us.

we all go through these,but if we even turn face like this: :(
shaytan is there to make us feel more down, he will try to make us more and more, you'll get the feeling which may end in whining,commiting sin,disobeying Allah and may Allah save us, it may end into disbelief ,and this is one of the strongest trick of shaytan.

Allah said:

Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest. (Qur'an 13: 28)
A'la bi dhikrillahi tatmainnul quloob.

subhan Allah

may Allah save us from the fitan of living times.

may Allah bless you, may Allah enlighten you.

may Allah give us the tawfeeq to understand the issues

wa-llahu a'lam

wassalam

esperanza

revert of many years
as salam 'alaykum waraamtu-llah

I dont know how old are you, but as far as I've read your post and replies, those dont indicate that you are even 24/25.

however, i dont want to knoweven.

sister, at the age of below 25, what is depression, we will be able to explain even.
if in this age our brothers and sister going to have depression, what about the coming life, family, children, responsibilities.
but may Allah save us from the fitnah of modernism, they dont believe in family or marriage, or striving or struggling, becasue they are so depressed from before, and they dont want to be more depressed.

may Allah save us.

we all go through these,but if we even turn face like this: :(
shaytan is there to make us feel more down, he will try to make us more and more, you'll get the feeling which may end in whining,commiting sin,disobeying Allah and may Allah save us, it may end into disbelief ,and this is one of the strongest trick of shaytan.

Allah said:

Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest. (Qur'an 13: 28)
A'la bi dhikrillahi tatmainnul quloob.

subhan Allah

may Allah save us from the fitan of living times.

may Allah bless you, may Allah enlighten you.

may Allah give us the tawfeeq to understand the issues

wa-llahu a'lam

wassalam

walaikum isalam brother

thank you for your reply and suggestions
but i must tell you that im definitely not as you imagine
im not a young muslims..confused AND depressed by modern life
i have lived ALL those responsibilities marriage children changing countries and culture,,,,,
it is not just young people who face depression...
it should be easier for young people who still have great chance to change their lives
but later on depression can be greater...as you realise what you have done or not dpne where you have failed and succeeded when you see your weakness so clearly when you understand more about life and people

but of course the answer is the same
there is ultimately just one answer to turn to Allah ,to remmeber him .to ask for forgiveness and guidance
this is what i need and iask Allah to make me stronger and help me to move from this depression inshalla
:hijabi: