Boujloud Dcheira Festival EID Al Adha 2011

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah my brothers and sisters here at TTI are all in good health and strong Iman.

Last night my husband took me to the EID Al Adha festival that they have here in Dcheira Agadir Morocco every year. It normally starts the day after EID Al Adha and lasts the whole week.

I call it the festival of the sheep people because most of the teens take the sheep skin and sew together costumes that they wear around town and although you wont see it in this video if they recognise someone they are supposed to hit that person with the hoof of the sheep which they have tied to a long string and attached to the sheep skin near their hand. I have seen some of the beatings and in my opinion I dont see the fun in it at all but apparently it has been going on for years and years and its the way they do things so who am I to judge? The sheep people think its a blast however I dont think the people getting beat up think its that great judging by the looks on their faces!

I am going to try to post a video of what I was able to see last night (minus the beatings by the sheep people). We didnt take this video-I found it on YouTube but it is exactly what I saw while at the festival last night so I hope the person who posted it at YouTube doesnt mind my borrowing it so that you can all share in the fun!

I hope this works inshallah because its the first time I am attempting to post a video inside my post.

watch

Kooba

Okay, I guess I cannot edit my posts. Anyways, you just add the portion of the address which is after the "=" sign between the [YT][/YT] tags. So in your case it was "1LmrPCsuicY"

esperanza

revert of many years
Ok yeah apparently I have no clue how to post a video inside my post so here is the link to the video on YouTube. Can someone please tell me how to enter a video directly into my post?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LmrPCsuicY

dear sister..have just seen the video ..definitely some very strange customs,,,
i guess they have strong traditions there,,,
but for men to dress as women ,,,,,,islamically thats not really ok

Isra

aka Tree2008
Okay, I guess I cannot edit my posts. Anyways, you just add the portion of the address which is after the "=" sign between the [YT][/YT] tags. So in your case it was "1LmrPCsuicY"

As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan dear brother! And you are new to this site! Dont I feel like an idiot! But in all fairness I have never added a video before on any website so Im a newbie! :wink: :lol: I really appreciate your help and I pray Allah will reward your kindness! Ameen

Now let me try it myself. Everyone please excuse this post Im about to make but I have to try so I will know in the future inshallah!

1LmrPCsuicY

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan dear brother! And you are new to this site! Dont I feel like an idiot! But in all fairness I have never added a video before on any website so Im a newbie! :wink: :lol: I really appreciate your help and I pray Allah will reward your kindness! Ameen

Now let me try it myself. Everyone please excuse this post Im about to make but I have to try so I will know in the future inshallah!

1LmrPCsuicY

???? It didnt work!!!!! I dont know what Im doing wrong??!!! Wait let me try one other thing inshallah this will work.....

http://youtu.be/1LmrPCsuicY

esperanza

revert of many years
As salamo alaikome

1LmrPCsuicY

its ok iwould not know how to post a video...and isaw the video very interesting,,,
i hope one day i have a chance to vixit morocco ..my fahter told me its a beautiful place

Isra

aka Tree2008
dear sister..have just seen the video ..definitely some very strange customs,,,
i guess they have strong traditions there,,,
but for men to dress as women ,,,,,,islamically thats not really ok

As salamo alaikome

Which is the reason I have adopted the motto "I am so glad I discovered Islam before I ever met a Muslim" dear sister! Just as in all other parts of the world just because someone says they are a Muslim does not mean they will act according to Islam. I am finding that out in my experiences since becoming a Muslim! I guess this festival is supposed to be all in fun but some parts of it were strange to me as well. I didnt see the point but of course this is not my country and not my culture so I have to have an open mind!

My husband told me this tradition of the festival has been going on way before he was ever born and he is 31 years old so yeah its been going on a long time. I was very upset though because last night one of the sheep people hit my mother in law with the sheep hoof and made a bruise on her arm. I didnt go to the festival last night. Once was enough for me!

Isra

aka Tree2008
its ok iwould not know how to post a video...and isaw the video very interesting,,,
i hope one day i have a chance to vixit morocco ..my fahter told me its a beautiful place

As salamo alaikome

Yes sister aside from the sheep people which only happens once a year (Alhamdulillah) Morocco is a beautiful place and the people are some of the warmest and kindest people you will ever meet. You should come for a visit if you ever have the chance! You are welcome to stay with my husband and I! We would love to have you inshallah!

esperanza

revert of many years
As salamo alaikome

Which is the reason I have adopted the motto "I am so glad I discovered Islam before I ever met a Muslim" dear sister! Just as in all other parts of the world just because someone says they are a Muslim does not mean they will act according to Islam. I am finding that out in my experiences since becoming a Muslim! I guess this festival is supposed to be all in fun but some parts of it were strange to me as well. I didnt see the point but of course this is not my country and not my culture so I have to have an open mind!

My husband told me this tradition of the festival has been going on way before he was ever born and he is 31 years old so yeah its been going on a long time. I was very upset though because last night one of the sheep people hit my mother in law with the sheep hoof and made a bruise on her arm. I didnt go to the festival last night. Once was enough for me!

yes it must be really strange as well as ionteresting..iguess all parts of the world have their traditons.....

but you seem to have adapted veryb well to life there mashallah

Kooba

As salamo alaikome

1LmrPCsuicY

Yes, I am new. Sorry I should properly introduce myself it this site has a section to do so.

Just quote my message with the video embedded and you'll see how I was able to do so.

Isra

aka Tree2008
[yt]1LmrPCsuicY[/yt]

As salamo alaikome

Youre so smart brother!!!! DUH I dont know why I never thought to quote your post to find out what you used to post the video! Jazakallah khairan again for all of your help! You proved to be smarter than me for sure!

:hijabi:

Isra

aka Tree2008
Yes, I am new. Sorry I should properly introduce myself it this site has a section to do so.

Just quote my message with the video embedded and you'll see how I was able to do so.

Wow and apparently I dont have good manners either! :shymuslima1: Welcome to the site brother I really hope you enjoy your stay here! Inshallah

esperanza

revert of many years
As salamo alaikome

Yes sister aside from the sheep people which only happens once a year (Alhamdulillah) Morocco is a beautiful place and the people are some of the warmest and kindest people you will ever meet. You should come for a visit if you ever have the chance! You are welcome to stay with my husband and I! We would love to have you inshallah!

would be great inshalla i have a chance thank you

Isra

aka Tree2008
yes it must be really strange as well as ionteresting..iguess all parts of the world have their traditons.....

but you seem to have adapted veryb well to life there mashallah

You have NO idea sister! I have been here over a year now so yes FINALLY I have adapted! If you had seen me when I first came from the United States you would have been laughing so hard! I was a mess! Now I jokingly tell my husband "if Allah ever wants to make someone humble all he needs to do is send them to Targante" which is the village my husband and I live in most of the time. If you have ever seen pictures of the "country" part of Morocco where there is nothing for miles but sheep and land then you will know what Im talking about. In that village when I first came to Morocco I was shocked actually! There were times we had no running water at all and I am talking about days and sometimes even weeks without water. The electricity would go out for hours and sometimes even days! It was so difficult just in that respect but I adapted through the mercy of Allah! Alhamdulillah!

In the USA I had hot and cold running water and took showers every day! We had heat and air conditioning in our home. I had a stove with an oven to cook on. I had a washing machine and a dryer to clean my clothes! When I came here I had none of that! I was forced to use a bucket and heat water on the camping gas mini stove to shower or even wash my hair! I had to adjust to using a toilet that has no seat instead it is just a hole in the floor surrounded by porceline! I wash all of our clothes by hand and hang them on a clothesline to dry! We have no heat in the winter and no air conditioning in the summer! It was quite a change for me as you can see by these few examples! But Allah is all merciful Alhamdulillah and now I am able to do my chores with no problems, I adjusted to the toilet and the shower and I am happy Alhamdulillah!

Sorry to ramble but I wanted to show you how much things have changed for me!

esperanza

revert of many years
You have NO idea sister! I have been here over a year now so yes FINALLY I have adapted! If you had seen me when I first came from the United States you would have been laughing so hard! I was a mess! Now I jokingly tell my husband "if Allah ever wants to make someone humble all he needs to do is send them to Targante" which is the village my husband and I live in most of the time. If you have ever seen pictures of the "country" part of Morocco where there is nothing for miles but sheep and land then you will know what Im talking about. In that village when I first came to Morocco I was shocked actually! There were times we had no running water at all and I am talking about days and sometimes even weeks without water. The electricity would go out for hours and sometimes even days! It was so difficult just in that respect but I adapted through the mercy of Allah! Alhamdulillah!

In the USA I had hot and cold running water and took showers every day! We had heat and air conditioning in our home. I had a stove with an oven to cook on. I had a washing machine and a dryer to clean my clothes! When I came here I had none of that! I was forced to use a bucket and heat water on the camping gas mini stove to shower or even wash my hair! I had to adjust to using a toilet that has no seat instead it is just a hole in the floor surrounded by porceline! I wash all of our clothes by hand and hang them on a clothesline to dry! We have no heat in the winter and no air conditioning in the summer! It was quite a change for me as you can see by these few examples! But Allah is all merciful Alhamdulillah and now I am able to do my chores with no problems, I adjusted to the toilet and the shower and I am happy Alhamdulillah!

Sorry to ramble but I wanted to show you how much things have changed for me!

this just shows how we can be happy with the simplest things when we have faith and are surrounded by love ,and how sometimes you can have everything,,,but if your laccking in faith or weak faith .,..or lonely it can be the hardest thing

and we certainly become more thankful when we experience life in other ways,,,
sometimes iget angry when people talk about poor in uk for example.poor yes but all have running water,electriity,,,street lights heating

my son goes crazy if loses interenet connetion for minutes, but thankfully has experiened other life,,,where people wait hours just for electriity...

everything is relative