Ok, new guy and a few questions

mward00

Hello everyone, I posted in the introductions that I will ask a bunch of questions...here is a few

I downloaded a program called Sahih bukhari ver. 1,1 It's an interesting read.
But what is it? It seems to be a guide to live by.

Also, I am a typical American GA male. I drink, I look at women and lust after them. I am married, and would not act on my impulse, but do stare and lust.
I enjoy BBQ {former BBQ competitor} So pork is involved. I cuss, get angry, make racial comments and not very fond of black people. Now...let me explain that I am NOT racist. I am a musician, have several black folks I talk with just about every day, have had my black friends in my home several times for cook-outs, football games ect...... BUt have had several bad run-ins with blacks in my life. My brother in-law was killed by one while doing his job {repo man} my cousin was killed in a drug deal gone bad. I have had a gun pulled on me from neighbors and had a few run-ins with them as they were dealing drugs from their house. So my GENERAL view of the "thug", ghetto trash isn't good.
That being said..how can I be a good muslim with so much turmoil in my life? How do you "re-program" your mind when this life is what I was brought up in and has been for many yrs.?

K-A-K

Hello/Salam :)

It's good to talk to you, first of all.

Hmm, here's a good question that you have asked. And with whatever knowledge I have, I shall try my best to answer. Though that knowledge isn't enough! :)

You want to be a 'Muslim' as you said. A few pointers..

1. Understand the meaning of the word 'Muslim' itself.
2. Understand what it means to be a Muslim.
3. It will take you some time and trust me, you'd have to battle your 'self' while understanding that.
4. Be patient. Be patient. Be patient. You'd hear that from literally everyone and count on that. You need a lot of patience, because in essence, patience is what is required of a human being. And you are truly out of shape (perhaps like many of us). lol. Its patience that we actually lack.
4. You'd have to think and reflect over whatever you read. Just don't stick to the first thought that your mind throws at you. Because, it may not be true enough.
5. Understand what Islam literally means. Struggle to do what it asks of you and try your best to inculcate in yourself whatever that is.
6. Pray. Though this should be the first one and with every pointer too. So, PRAY. And by that i mean, pray with your heart. Feel the need to change and pray.
7. Take your life into account. Whatever you have done and the choices that you made. If you see that you've messed up, congrats! you're doing good!
8. Pray and understand and reflect over what "Muslim" means.
9. Don't give up! Don't despair. and Crave for all of the above!

Best wishes!
Don't give up! That's one advice i honestly have :)

Noor El-Huda

Welcome brother. I understand when you say you are not being racist, however the experiences you had were terrible, however the deeds of a person makes them liked or not, not their race/colour, so try not to allow yourself to generalise.

Have a read about Bilal in Islam. Also Zaid Ibn Haritha, Usama Ibn Zaid. They are great people in Islamic history.They were black.

Also some great balck sheikhs are Bilal philips and Khalid Yasin.
mashallah I sometimes meet at the mosque some pious practicing black muslims, and you see they strive to do everything correctly.

There is no difference between an Arab and a non-Arab, nor between a black man and a white man except in piety .(The meaning of a verse in quran).

As for all the other things that you mentiond, when you learn more about the Islamic way of life, and you have true belief, the things that were pleasures for you, which your concience tells you it is not right, when youfollow Islam you would want willingly want to leave them. It would feel too comfortable doing it.

Omar, the companion of the prophet pbuh, was drinking alcohol, because it was not yet revealed that it was forbideen, then as soon as somone told him that the prophet pbuh had a revelation to avoid it, he immediately spat out what was in his mouth. (look up original story) This is just a tiny example. The companions were reverts to islam. Everything was new to them.

Sahih Bukhari contains hadiths, which are sayings, and teachings of the prophet pbuh. I was recently told that Bukhari and Riyadh assaliheen are what I need for day to day, and I found A6 versions which I found are so convenient to carry around for a read,for those who prefer hard copies.

Keep learning, stay on ITT, and everything will come in good time inshallah.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Hello everyone, I posted in the introductions that I will ask a bunch of questions...here is a few

Also, I am a typical American GA male. I drink, I look at women and lust after them. I am married, and would not act on my impulse, but do stare and lust.
I enjoy BBQ {former BBQ competitor} So pork is involved. I cuss, get angry, make racial comments and not very fond of black people. Now...let me explain that I am NOT racist. I am a musician, have several black folks I talk with just about every day, have had my black friends in my home several times for cook-outs, football games ect...... BUt have had several bad run-ins with blacks in my life. My brother in-law was killed by one while doing his job {repo man} my cousin was killed in a drug deal gone bad. I have had a gun pulled on me from neighbors and had a few run-ins with them as they were dealing drugs from their house. So my GENERAL view of the "thug", ghetto trash isn't good.
That being said..how can I be a good muslim with so much turmoil in my life? How do you "re-program" your mind when this life is what I was brought up in and has been for many yrs.?

Imagine, if you repent and come back to Allah, before it is too late
Allah subhanahu wa ta'la will forgive you.

if it doesn't feel logical to you, then no sinner in this world has the right to get purified. not even us.

the biggest sin in deen al-Islam (our religion Al-Islam) is Shirk, associating partner with Allah subhanahu wa ta'la

know who is your Lord, who is our Creator and who is the Cherisher and Sustainer of the world, IF

you are ready to accept One God, as your God.
nto the Muslim's God, not the Quranic God, not a Philosophical or metaphorical God.

One God and accept Him as the worthy of worship and accept Prophet Muhammad salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam as His final messenger, likewise he sent before Isa, Moses and so on may Allah be pleased with them all. then get ready for the change, insha Allah Allah will help you

try the 99 names of Allah and find whats the explanation.

and Allah knows the best

may Allah guide you and make you affairs settle down
and make it easy to turn your back, which is not innately our nature.

Islam is the religion of Fitrah, natural or innately Human nature.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!

Hello, :) Sahih bukhari & Sahih muslim are the compilation of authentic narrations by prophet muhammed. (pbuh)

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

how can you say that you arent a racist? lol

would the bad things that black people have done to you or family members be any better if they were white? how can you have black friends and not be fond of black people? you think that there haven't been white people that have done these things to blacks? i know crime is out of control in the black community, that is true, but dude you cant paint everyone with a broad brush.

why am i being hard on you? im being hard because if you embrace islam you will be joining the most diverse brother and sisterhood in the world and many of them arent going to be looking like you.

but im happy you're making an attempt to better the areas in your life that needs improvement.

as far as lusting... you're gonna have to train your eyes and mind to avoid it.

cussing.... that usually takes place when people get angry or lacking patience. if anger is why you curse... take a deep breath and try to calm yourself down.

ultimately you have to open your heart and mind to it. its a progression in faith. not everyone joins islam and gives up all these things in one day. that would be impossible. as your faith increases, the easier it will be to give up those negative things.

forgive me if i seemed harsh at first. i'm of half black and spanish european descent and i was offended that you were thinking all blacks were bad because of a few experiences. i used to be that way and i was proven wrong about any prejudices that i once had.

i wish you well in your desire to learn about islam.

:wasalam:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh brother. MY best advice would be to do what the Beleivers and Muslims did in the early days of Islam: learn about Iman (the Correct and Pure Islamic Faith/Beleif), the Hereafter and about Tawheed (the Uniqueness of Allah (SWT) from all other beings), and as your knowledge of Allah (SWT) and the Hereafter grows, try to SLOWLY steadily decrease the sins/bad actions that you might do (like for example, instead of drinking a glass of wine a day, try cutting it to a glass of wine in 2 days, then 3, then 4, and so forth), and when it comes to drugs/cursing, try finding alternatives to burn your anger out/push the stress off your chest.

Incase the devl wants you to have doubts about Islam, then I suggest watching this video:

[yt]fZFGghTV8Fs[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfudYyrH8Tg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVsOS76iP_g

serena77

i have to agree.. and i'm sorry but being a male in GA doesn't excuse most of that behavior. Saying what you did about racism, I'm sorry but that is an excuse. You shouldn't ever make broad sweeping generalizations and honestly it won't help you any to feel that way. You should forgive the people that wronged you because the only thing your doing is harbouring anger. How is that helping you? I'm not trying to be harsh and i'm as white as they come, but racism of any type is offensive to me. You can not like someONE because of what they have done .. not saying you have to be friends w/ everyone. ...
Ask Allah (swt) for help he will guide you if you open your mind and your heart and your sincere in what you ask. pray as often as you can for help in addition to the prayers you should be doing every day. .... and remember that there's a lot of white, asian hispanic people that have done bad things. maybe you haven't had bad experiences from them.. but that doesn't mean they don't happen.
I was actually assaulted at the university level by someone who was black, but how fair would it have been of me to look down on one race, because of one persons mistakes even though due to how ill I got afterwards, i had to leave college. It wouldn't have solved any problems, and it certainly wouldn't have made him a better person.
As for the lust and cursing it will come with time and i hope it will become second nature to you, even though i haven't reverted yet i'm trying to make all the changes i can before i revert so that when i do, they will not be as difficult and it has reqired a lot of prayer and patience ... I hope you can get there as well. something that works for me on a stress level/anger issue is working out, benefits everyone ... due to physical issues i'm having to be in the gym 5-6 days a week... maybe something simillar would help you too... physical exercise isnt just for losing weight.
May Allah (swt) guide you in a way that you will be able to listen to.
Serena

mward00

I appreciate the replys. First let me say that me saying I am a typical GA male wasn't an excuse for my lifestyle, just a way to point out how I was brought up and what was "normal" for me.
The racist comment wasn't meant to offend. I guess I can admit I have some racial tendency's. My black friends are educated, don't speak in "ghetto talk" {Ebonics} They are not "thugs" or Ghetto rats. Yes I am classifying, those are the ones I have had problems with in my life and have come to dislike. Yes the same can be said about white trash as well...My sister is one I can speak of, she is, and has been strung out on drugs her whole adult life. I do not talk or see her, she isn't the same person I knew when we were younger. I tell my father she died yrs ago, the woman she is now is a Zombie.

The reason I am looking at Islam now is because it makes since to me, it seems SOOOO much more REAL than Christianity, The more I read and watch videos of, the more I say "this is what I want" I need to completely re-wire my mind and soul. To break down everything I know and learned and refill it with truth and knowledge.

I have MANY more questions, but will ask them later. I have too many vids I have to watch now. :)

serena77

please understand.. my reply at least, wasn't meant to be harsh but to have you look at how some things were said. pray for your sister.. pray for those that have wronged you and yours. often that is all you can do, but at the same time, it is a good thing to do. May Allah (swt) warm your heart and guide you to the right path.
Serena

mward00

please understand.. my reply at least, wasn't meant to be harsh but to have you look at how some things were said. pray for your sister.. pray for those that have wronged you and yours. often that is all you can do, but at the same time, it is a good thing to do. May Allah (swt) warm your heart and guide you to the right path.
Serena

Serena, you were not being harsh. Sometimes it takes others to show or say someone is being judgmental or wrong. I appreciate and welcome your opinion as well as others :biggrin:

Mairo

Maryama
Salaam and welcome, it is great to hear of your growing appreciation of Islam. Keep learning about the religion and read Quran and continue to be inspired. May God guide you to the light.

I am also an American revert and understand the challenges you are facing. Just take things one step at a time. Begin to replace your bad habits with good ones. It is a lifelong struggle but honestly nothing is more rewarding, learning to please our Creator and experiencing true joy and peace as a result.

It is good to become aware of bad habits and traits and acquire the tools to improve. Sometimes it will feel as if you are fighting against a strong stream as most of society is operating in completely contrary fashion. Try to find people of good character to spend time with, this will help you as you create a new and improved lifestyle. And it is good to keep in mind there are American traditions you can continue to enjoy, such as BBQ. Just substitute the pork for beef or chicken (although may be easier said than done in GA, lol).
It is good to remember, once you come into the fold of Islam your past mistakes are wiped clean, you get a blank slate. And the more good you do the easier and more rewarding it is. Never forget to always turn to God for strength, he is always there to help and is our guide on the straight path.

Best wishes to you, your story is an inspiration to me.

lovefordeen

assalaamu alaikum wa rahmathulahi wa barakathuhu

welcome to tti...

i hope these videos help in sha Allah...

i have posted them earlier..but hope it helps in sha Allah..

Dr. Zakir Naik: Prophet Muhammad(as) foretold in the Torah and Bible :pART 1

[yt]n2NZqrJ3AKg[/yt]

Dr. Zakir Naik: Prophet Muhammad(as) foretold in the Torah and Bible :pART 2

[yt]orPqlRnXBQU[/yt]

Dr. Zakir Naik: Prophet Muhammad(as) foretold in the Torah and Bible :pART 3
[yt]x-s3WAx47[/yt]

i pray that Allah guides you to islam..ameen...

don't worry about your past as by accepting islam with sincerity and saying the shahada sincerely,Allah forgives all past sins

one has to be very sincere while accepting islam..i pray that Allah guides you to the truth..ameen

and Allah knows best

assallamu alaikum

rahman2040

:salam2:
Brother congrats in some faith in Islam or the reality of Life. may Allah guide you.
I request for you is take one step at a time, and don't be in hurry.
If you have faith in one god(Allah) and last and final messenger prophet Mohammed(pbuh). Then you are a Muslim(meaning submission oneself to Allah).
If am wrong any were any member can correct me soon.

Some of this vids can help. I love Ahmed Deedat and Dr.Zakir Naik debates.

[yt]-62QdnGiYSg[/yt]
[yt]1zBonVo8hJ0[/yt]
[yt]QPjgAw9SyBk[/yt]

Can also check my vids at youtube.com/rahman2040
May Allah guide us
Allah knows best

a_stranger

I think when you start having more sincere faith and doing more good you will feel sweetness in your heart this will drive you for more......... ....Islam gives purity within hearts that make things easy. it guides humans step by step .

May Allah guide all of us and make our way easy to janna.

Elias55

i have to agree..
....... even though i haven't reverted yet i'm trying to make all the changes i can before i revert so that when i do, they will not be as difficult and it has reqired a lot of prayer and patience ...
May Allah (swt) guide you in a way that you will be able to listen to.
Serena

As wr wb all my sis and bro in Islam,

I was wondering you pointed out that you haven't reverted yet but you are asking Allah to guide him. My sincere advise to you sister is to take the shahada as soon as possibleif u believe Islam is the true religion. We people don't know when death overtakes us and we don't have any written guarantee for tomorrow. Allah forgives all the sins as He does wish but He never forgives one who associates a partner to Him and who die off being a disbeliever. I hope you get my point!

Weselam'aleykum!!

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

Hi,
Welcome to the forum first of all brother,I would like to advice you to start from not disclosing your sins in public as Allah had concealed them and we might be your witness on the day of judgement.
Secondly dear brother,never despair of Allah's mercy and seek His forgiveness,since only disbelievers despair of Allah's mercy.So keep repenting.
There is a hadith e Tirmidhi "Every son of Adam makes mistake but the best of those who make mistakes are the ones who repent often"

About repentance there are a couple of verses:

The repentance accepted by Allah is only for those who do wrong in ignorance [or carelessness] and then repent soon after. It is those to whom Allah will turn in forgiveness, and Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.

But repentance is not [accepted] of those who [continue to] do evil deeds up until, when death comes to one of them, he says, "Indeed, I have repented now," or of those who die while they are disbelievers. For them We have prepared a painful punishment.
[4:17-18]

So repent with a sincere heart and start fresh inshaallah,repel evil with good.
Whenever an evil thought comes to your mind seek refuge in Allah and repel evil with that which is good.As it says in the Qur'an to repel evil with that which is good.
As a brother pointed out earlier keep a good company of practicing muslims so you can have that environment inshaallah,good company is like fragrance which follows you everywhere you go and bad company is like stench which follows you wherever you go and inshaallah will be in your side in the hereafter.
Always remember your destination(grave ) and your purpose in life,"to worship Allah" and everything will be easy,bidhnillah.

May Allah help you and me and guide you and me.Ameen.

Noor El-Huda

As wr wb all my sis and bro in Islam,

I was wondering you pointed out that you haven't reverted yet but you are asking Allah to guide him. My sincere advise to you sister is to take the shahada as soon as possibleif u believe Islam is the true religion. We people don't know when death overtakes us and we don't have any written guarantee for tomorrow. Allah forgives all the sins as He does wish but He never forgives one who associates a partner to Him and who die off being a disbeliever. I hope you get my point!

Weselam'aleykum!!

Sister Serena the brother highlighted a very crucial point mashallah. I totally agree. If you believe in Allah swt and you believe that Islam is the correct way of life, then don't let shaitan make you postpone making shahada. The utmost important thing in Islam is to make no associates with god. Associating others with god is the biggest sin of all. By submitting to Allah and making shadah, then you are testifying that there are no associates and believing in the message of Mohamed pbuh.
All the other habits and bits and bobs you can work at as you go along, and you will feel much better inshallah. You will feel the motivation to overcome the challenges.
Dealying is shaitan's work, who has taken an oath to keep people away from the right path, and he will withold them from it by making them delay. Islam tells us when there is a good deed, not postpone it.

I know a lady who had fallen in that trap for years. She woke up for fajr to pray, she fasted, she did many things better than born muslims yet she wouldn't make shahadah. She needed that little push, and alhamdullilah she became a muslimah recently. So dear sister, you speak like a muslimah, like a believer, my advice to you is do not postpone it.

serena77

i didnt want to hijack this tread from what it was...
simply speaking .. very simply speaking...
I intend to take the shahada... in part i still have to work the rest of the way through the fact that i have to hide this and i'm not good at hiding things from my family ( read mother) but i have no option... and its a bit daunting... won't lie on that one.
My therapist - i'm lucky - i have a good one.. i have bipolar disorder and he's been a miracle... but he used to teach comparative religions .. and has no issue w/ me wanting to revert. .. talk about something that surprised me when i first mentioned it to him. I wanted to be able to talk to him more over the issue w/ my family to get his take on how to handle things...
my appt isnt that far off. its in dec.

i have no doubt that if i lived in a different part of the country under different circumstances that i wouldnt have hestitated to revert. i wish this part were different. i wish the people in this part were different.
I am still getting there ... trust me when i say i've come a long way from where i was when i first started this journey thankst to Allah (swt) and people who have been so kind and helpful.
serena