the content of most music alone, would probably make it haram

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i know that at least two or three times a week, someone begins a thread about music. usually the poster is of the view that music is haram, but there are also respondents that feel that music is neither halal nor haram. thus the debate gets very heated and eventually the thread gets closed. sometimes i feel that we focus too much on the instruments themselves in our effort to prove that music is haram or at least best to avoided. we often forget to mention that 9 times out 10, the very content of the music itself alone makes the music haram.

just think about hip-hop music...

very often it has elements of:

shirk against ALLAHS lordship also known by some as shirk in ruboobiyya.

many of the rap artists commit shirk in asma' wa siffat ( giving themselves names and attributes that should only be given to ALLAH SWT )

promotes at times the worship of false gods known as shirk in ibadah.

promotes zinaa

promotes usury

promotes khamr ( wine and all intoxicants )

promotes maysir ( gambling )

promotes lying

promotes violence

many of these are promoted in a single song.

my point is even if ALLAH clearly stated in His Word that music is fine and well, that music would still have to meet islamic criteria to be halal. i think if many muslims that listen to music, really go over the content of their music, there wouldnt be much music left for them to listen to. anything that promotes what ALLAH has clearly stated as being haram, is haram.

above i had mentioned hip-hop, but these sinful things that are glorified in hip-hop are also glorified in rock, pop, jazz, blues, country etc.

this is just something for us to think about..
:wasalam:

serena77

whats usury?
the music thing is hard for me. I don't tend to listen to rap/hip hop .... and i have tried to switch as much of my music time for listening to nasheeds, which honestly i LOVE if i had a radio station in the car that played them, i wouldn't ever listen to anything else.
I do however play the violin/fiddle course usually what i play doesn't even have words that go along w/ it.... i've had to stop until the problem w/ my hands are figured out.. so far it looks like rheumatoid arthritis and possible other factors as well... which is another thread entirely because its got me so upset... but i am trying. I want to get where i am more comfortable w/ the ones entirely in arabic...
thanks for this thread. (i am sincere in that... it wasn't sarcasm... )
serena

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
whats usury?
the music thing is hard for me. I don't tend to listen to rap/hip hop .... and i have tried to switch as much of my music time for listening to nasheeds, which honestly i LOVE if i had a radio station in the car that played them, i wouldn't ever listen to anything else.
I do however play the violin/fiddle course usually what i play doesn't even have words that go along w/ it.... i've had to stop until the problem w/ my hands are figured out.. so far it looks like rheumatoid arthritis and possible other factors as well... which is another thread entirely because its got me so upset... but i am trying. I want to get where i am more comfortable w/ the ones entirely in arabic...
thanks for this thread. (i am sincere in that... it wasn't sarcasm... )
serena

Usury means ribaa. Interest.

strive-may-i

Very aptly put. Creative description (license) its not, its a destructive prescription. The combination of a good voice, a pleasing rythym preaching and eulogizing the wrongs... And add all the media attention. It first destroys the person who sings, dietifies him and destroys others too...

a_stranger

﴿وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَشْتَرِى لَهْوَ الْحَدِيثِ لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ﴾

(And of mankind is he who purchases Lahu Al-Hadith to mislead (men) from the path of Allah), he said, "This -- by Allah -- refers to singing.''

﴿وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَشْتَرِى لَهْوَ الْحَدِيثِ لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ﴾

(And of mankind is he who purchases Lahw Al-Hadith to mislead (men) from the path of Allah without knowledge, ) Qatadah said: "By Allah, he may not spend money on it, but his purchasing it means he likes it, and the more misguided he is, the more he likes it and the more he prefers falsehood to the truth and harmful things over beneficial things.'' It was said that what is meant by the words

﴿يَشْتَرِى لَهْوَ الْحَدِيثِ﴾

(purchases idle talks) is buying singing servant girls. Ibn Jarir said that it means all speech that hinders people from seeing the signs of Allah and following His path. His saying:

﴿لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ﴾

(to mislead (men) from the path of Allah) means, he does this to oppose Islam and its followers.

﴿وَيَتَّخِذَهَا هُزُواً﴾

(and takes it by way of mockery.) Mujahid said, "This means mocking the path of Allah and making fun of it.''

﴿أُوْلَـئِكَ لَهُمْ عَذَابٌ مُّهِينٌ﴾

(For such there will be a humiliating torment.) Just as they showed no respect to the signs and path of Allah, so they will be shown no respect on the Day of Resurrection, and they will be subjected to a painful, ongoing torment.

Tafseer Ibn Kathir