A question: Child's Apostasy

jack2k6

Hello/Salam everyone,

I have been reading about Islam for about 6 months.

I have a simple question:

Every child is born as a 'muslim' by definition, and is considered innocent. So, if a child becomes a christian, is that considered apostasy in Islam, and should he or she be subjected to capital punishment as per Sharia law. In other words, if a child is born in an non-muslim family, as long as he is below the maturity age (10-12 i believe) he will be considered innocent and no sins of his/her will be written. But, as soon as he reaches his maturity age and is a christian, jew or buddist, he or she is apostating from Islam. Should he be punishable ??

This may sound like a silly question, but I am trying to picture an Islamic country with non-muslims residing in it. I would appreciate a answer with reference to Islamic writings or any scholarly response.

- Jack

Raihan

Every child is born as a 'muslim' - does not mean that the baby is spiritually/idologically 'muslim'! Rather it means that the baby is sinless/innocent and peaceful. 'muslim' also means humble/peaceful.

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

I'm sorry, I do not have the time to find you that scholarly reference, however this is how I see it.

Children are born on the natural 'fitra' inclination of Islam. The do not ascribe partners with Allah (God) and believe Him. In this way they are a Muslim. Over time, they follow different religions because it is how they were/are brought up. The apostasy was not one in which the person purposely left Islam knowing about it, rather an ignorance which lead to it.

:wasalam:

loveislam1

Hello Jack, yours is not a silly question.
The Quran NEVER once mentions to kill an apostate simply for leaving the religion,

There is however a hadith mentioning it, and it is not merely for being aspostate it is for commiting "high treason."

Here is a good article about apostasy .

*removed*

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid

I'm sorry but the irfi website given by loveislam1 is a modernist website in which they also try to make riba seem ok. This website should be avoided. If you come to the truth and leave the truth you are to be killed.

proud muslim

peace be with u all,
i'll make my speech as simple and as subjected to reality as possible
nowadays if someone becomes a muslim and then for any reason left islam.. no one cud harm him..cuz thats how things go nowadays regardless its right or wrong ...2nd children are born muslims.. means that they are born pure and submitting to the will of God..just as my brothers mentioned previously and thats what Islam means..to submit to the will of God ..about the hadith mentioning the apostate issue...many scholars had different interpretations and explanations for this hadith so some said apostates shud be killed...and some said they shudnt...besides its irrelevant to keep discussing issues that arent implemented in reality anymore..lets focus on the basics and on the more important issues..i hope that what ive said was helpful
peace be with u all

jack2k6

hello/salam,

The apostasy was not one in which the person purposely left Islam knowing about it, rather an ignorance which lead to it.

I believe if someone is born in a muslim family but hardly knows about Islam because of his or her parents or surroundings. Later on, he found another religion which he felt was better than Islam, and as a result apostated from Islam, he is also doing it in ignorance, but that doesn't help him to escape from capital punishment.

Jack, Islam is all about making sense. Does it make sense to kill a 12 year old because he was raised christian?

I agree Islam is about making sense, but i was looking for a scholarly argument regarding this matter because personal interpretation at times may be misleading. Because, with all due respect, it doesn't make sense in my eyes to kill someone just because he or she apostated from Islam.

I was looking for a scholarly response, because they usually contain very precise reason with details for any action. Thanks for taking your time and giving the responses. :)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

Most answers to questions can be found in Muslim or Bukhari. There are usually accompanying texts to help us understand. Also, if you contact the cyber counselor at www.islamonline.net they will provide you with very serious responses.
You ask a serious question thus a rational and logical anwer is due. Remember, Islam is a religion based on the attributes of Allah. Mercy belongs to Him as does Forgiveness. He is the Oft-Forgiving. The soul always longs for Allah..

Daud McGuire

Say he is one
Salam Aki

I'm sorry but the irfi website given by loveislam1 is a modernist website in which they also try to make riba seem ok. This website should be avoided. If you come to the truth and leave the truth you are to be killed.

Islam should be under submission of Allah. Not fear khalidal Asadullah will kill you if you dnt do what he says.

Islam is about becoming aware of the one who created us. Many soul search, if we was to kill someone who is desperatly seaking the truth, we would have killed an innocent person, then guess what, we would of killed the whole of mankind according to Allah (swt)

If someone strays from Islam, they could come back to islam stronger and with more knoledge, according to KHalidal they would be dead...

Very tough words, but if your mother was to go astray will you kill her. Will you kill the one that holds your paradise under her feet.

Islam is about logic.

Remember Allah(swt) shall be our judge when it comes to the love and fear for him and decisions we make.

Lets be careful what we all say when we have no scholarly eminence. I made a mistake once and it made me look really silly. Back up arguments with sources. Not opinions!

saliha106

peace be upon you too. I am not a scholar, but this is how I see it. Every child can make a choice upon reaching the right age. Most children obviously just believe in whatever religion their family practices. So, even if a child is raised in a Muslim family, a lot of people have their children make a formal declaration of faith when they reach a certain age to clarify that the child has made a choice. I think apostasy refers to those people who consciously accept Islam or practice it and then reject it.

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid
:salam2: wa rahmatullah wa Barakatuhu

"Islam should be under submission of Allah. Not fear khalidal Asadullah will kill you if you dnt do what he says. "

Correct. I don't send you to hell. Allah does.

"If someone strays from Islam, they could come back to islam stronger and with more knoledge, according to KHalidal they would be dead..."

Did I say that? ever?

"Islam is about logic."
AGREED!!

I'm not a scholar and never said I was. I did say a certain web site said riba was ok (which every muslim should know!). I did not remove it, an administrator did. So obviously I was not the only one thinking the website was not representing the haqq.

I love you for the sake of Allah Daud:SMILY128:

BlueFish

Good eye!

Islam should be under submission of Allah. Not fear khalidal Asadullah will kill you if you dnt do what he says.

Islam is about becoming aware of the one who created us. Many soul search, if we was to kill someone who is desperatly seaking the truth, we would have killed an innocent person, then guess what, we would of killed the whole of mankind according to Allah (swt)

If someone strays from Islam, they could come back to islam stronger and with more knoledge, according to KHalidal they would be dead...

Very tough words, but if your mother was to go astray will you kill her. Will you kill the one that holds your paradise under her feet.

Islam is about logic.

Remember Allah(swt) shall be our judge when it comes to the love and fear for him and decisions we make.

Lets be careful what we all say when we have no scholarly eminence. I made a mistake once and it made me look really silly. Back up arguments with sources. Not opinions!

Asalamu alykum,
Thank you for addressing what this person has wrote. I dont believe i need to add anymore to what you have said except that i agree. How can you talk about killing someone on this site anyway? This concernes me that people are walking around with these type of thoughts in thier mind. This type of talk will turn people seeking truth, away from finding it. If he or she is not corrected then the one who learns the false info will go spread it to others unaware, what a mess!
Thank you again.
PEACE brothers and sisters, may we all learn it some day.