circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

Sister, my son was circed when he was 2 years, 8 months, and I had to battle my Algerian family in law (now, more ex-family in law though), to have him circumcised before that age, but nobody wanted to listen to me. I tried when he was born, but that was a HUGE no-no-no-no-no in their world. Then I tried when we were there when he was 1 year old, and it was No no no no no then too, because it was winter, too cold, he would be sick, and he was too small to remember the party, bla bla...

When he was 2 yrs 8 mohs, we were there, and they were to circumcise the son of his brother, so I said, Sofiane is going too. Everyone went quiet, looked at me as if I was the town freak, but I said, he is going to do it now, because in Norway its hard and expensive to get it done, and only Allah knows when we will return to Algeria, so its better sooner than later.

Alhamdulillah, when I set ultimatum like that, they listended to me, and did it. Turns out kid had a huge tumour under his foreskin, that had to be removed too... And everyone regretted not doing it sooner...

I regret only one thing. That is waiting too long, and giving in to culture. They had this huge party, sure, segregated, but music everywhere, clothing, changing of clothes like 3-4 times in the party (for me, and my son), since we did not marry in Algeria, we were supposed to have that huge party instead, at the circumcision. And they were two boys circ'ed so it was huge... Every little protest from me, they did not want to listen. So i just "grin it and bear it" and kept my mouth closed.

Now, alhamdulillah, if I have a son, me and my (new) husband partially agree on to do it as early as possible, if we do it at all until he is old enough to descide for himself.

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

Just for the record, dont worry about "3rd world hospital", as they circ more children there, than in UK, I would not worry about the procedure itself!

muslim .id

Muslim .id

:salam2:

The best time for circumcision is when the child of seven day old as said by our Prophet Mohammad(sws).

There follows an outline of what should be done on the day of the child’s birth, and after that:

• It is mustahabb to do tahneek for the baby and to pray for him.
  • It was reported that Abu Moosa said: “I had a baby boy, and I brought him to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He named him Ibraaheem, did Tahneek with some dates and prayed for Allaah to bless him, then he gave him back to me.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5150; Muslim, 2145). Tahneek means putting something sweet, such as dates or honey, in the child’s mouth when he is first born.
  • It is permissible to name the child on the first day or on the seventh.
  • It was reported that Anas ibn Maalik said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A boy was born to me this night and I have named him with the name of my father Ibraaheem.” (Narrated by Muslim, 3126).
  • It was reported that ‘Aa’ishah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did ‘aqeeqah for al-Hasan and al-Husayn on the seventh day, and gave them their names. (Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan, 12/127; al-Haakim, 4/264. Classed as saheeh by al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, 9/589).
  • ‘Aqeeqah and circumcision
  • It was reported from Salmaan ibn ‘Aamir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “For the boy there should be an ‘aqeeqah. Slaughter (an animal) for him and remove the harmful thing [i.e., the foreskin] from him.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1515; al-Nasaa’i, 4214; Abu Dawood, 2839; Ibn Maajah, 3164. The hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani, may Allaah have mercy on him, in al-Irwaa’, 4/396).
  • It was reported that Samurah ibn Jundub (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A boy is ransomed by his ‘aqeeqah. Sacrifice should be made for him on the seventh day, he should be given a name and his head should be shaved.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1522; al-Nasaa’i, 4220 and Abu Dawood, 2838. The hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani, may Allaah have mercy on him, in al-Irwaa’ 4/385).
Imaam ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Among the benefits of ‘aqeeqah are:

It is a sacrifice by means of which the child is brought close to Allaah soon after he comes into this world.

It is a ransom for the newborn; his ‘aqeeqah ransoms him so that he can intercede for his parents.

It is a sacrifice by which the newborn is ransomed just as Allaah ransomed Ismaa’eel with the ram. (Tuhfat al-Mawdood, p. 69).

Perhaps another benefit of the ‘aqeeqah is the gathering of relatives and friends for the waleemah (feast).

4.Circumcision is part of the Sunan al-Fitrah (practices related to the pure and natural inclinations of man). It is obligatory in the case of boys because it is connected to matters of purity which are essential conditions of prayer.

It was reported from Abu Hurayrah: “Five things are related to the Fitrah: circumcision, removing the pubic hairs, plucking the armpit hairs, cutting the nails, and trimming the moustache.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5550; Muslim, 257).

:wasalam:

amyaishazouaoui

is there anything realy wrong with his head not being shaved???
this was never done either. Is it my responsability or my husbands or jointly??

If I pushed for it and it was never done and there is sin if we dont do it, am i going to be punished for it?????????

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

Is it a sin if one does not do the ‘aqeeqah or delays it?​

Question:
Allaah has blessed me with a baby girl and she is now three months old, but I did not slaughter the ‘aqeeqah or give charity in its stead. Is there any sin on me, and what is the solution?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah. The ‘aqeeqah is Sunnah mu’akkadah (a confirmed Sunnah), and there is no sin on the one who does not do it. That is because of the report narrated by Abu Dawood (2842) from ‘Amr ibn Shu’ayb from his father from his grandfather who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever has a child born to him, and wants to offer a sacrifice on his behalf, let him do so, for a boy two sheep that meet the conditions of sacrifice and for a girl one sheep.” This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) left the matter up to the wishes of the person doing it. This indicates that it is mustahabb and not obligatory.
See Tuhfat al-Mawdood, p. 157.
But the Muslim should not be negligent in this matter, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every child is in pledge for his ‘aqeeqah which should be sacrificed for him on the seventh day, and his head should be shaved and he should be given a name.”
Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 4220; Abu Dawood, 2838; al-Tirmidhi, 1522; Ibn Maajah, 3165; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.
So you should do the ‘aqeeqah now, by slaughtering a sheep with the intention of ‘aqeeqah.
In says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (11/934):
‘Aqeeqah is Sunnah mu’akkadah, for a boy two sheep which are both fit for sacrifice, and for a girl one sheep, which should be slaughtered on the seventh day. If it is delayed until after the seventh day, it is permissible to slaughter it at any time, and there is no sin in delaying it, but it is better to do it sooner if possible.
Note:
You say that you have not given anything in charity instead of the ‘aqeeqah.
It should be noted that giving money in charity cannot take the place of the ‘aqeeqah, because the purpose of the ‘aqeeqah is to draw closer to Allaah by offering a sacrifice. See question no. 34974.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

IslamicPearl

Salam aleykum

I have 2 questions: why do we have to shave the babies head and why is it obligatory to make the circumcisioni?
I know the Prophet saawa said to do so but i need a logical answer and islam has an asnwer for everything.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Assalaam Aalaikum

looks like Maybe in algeria they become really happy for circumcision so they party for it.

:confused: :confused:

sister

as far as i heard the hairs are impure and has to be shaved once after birth.

Walaikum Assalaam

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Salam aleykum

I have 2 questions: why do we have to shave the babies head and why is it obligatory to make the circumcisioni?
I know the Prophet saawa said to do so but i need a logical answer and islam has an asnwer for everything.

The Benefit of Shaving the Newborn's Head​

Question:
Is the act of shaving a newborn baby's head rooted in Islam? What is the purpose of doing this, and is it referenced in the Qurran?

Answer:

The Benefit of Shaving the Newborn's Head Newborn head shaving is Sunna on the seventh day from his birth and the Proof for that what was said by Al-Emam Ahmad, Al Niessai, Abou Dawood, Al-Termethi, and Ibn Maja about Samra that Prophet Mohammed
saws.gif
(Peace and Blessings of Allah Upon Him): "Boy is contingented upon his Akika so Sacrifice for him on the seventh day and Shave his head by God's name ". Sunan ul-Termathi number 1522. Al-Termethi said: This hadith is Good and Authentic.
Al-Emam Ahmad narrated in his Musnad about Salman Bin Aamer about Prophet Mohammad
saws.gif
(Peace and Blessings of Allah Upon him) said: "With a person is his Akika so free him of the sacrifice and of from harm." He said that Ibn Sereen used to say if removing harm from him did not mean shaving the head, then I don't know what it is.
Ibn Al-Qayem (Allah's mercy upon him) said about the benefit of shaving the newborn's hair: Shaving his head removes the harm from him, removes the weak hair so that stronger and firmer hair replaces it and it is beneficial for the head. In addition, it comforts the newborn and opens the head's skin openings... And along with this is a strengthening of his eye sight, his sense of smell and hearing. Refer to Ahkamul Tifl: Ahmad Al-Eesawee 192.
Sheikh Ibn Uthaimeen said: It appears that shaving the head on that day has a positive effect on the hair roots. Refer to Al-Sharh Al-Mumtiaa' 7/540.

Refer to Al-Sharh Al-Mumtiaa' 7/540

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

As-Salamu `alaykum! I would like to know your view about the significance of male circumcision; I mean: is there any scientific value or medical benefit behind such operation? Jazakum Allahu Khayran.

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we are very pleased for the great confidence you repose in us and we really commend your apparent interest in having a better understanding of the teachings of Islam and the rulings of this great religion in all matters. In fact, Islam is a religion that encompasses all aspects of life and secures guidance and light for all mankind.

It is well known that circumcision is an act pertaining to the fitrah (pure human nature). Some Muslim scholars consider it as a confirmed Sunnah. Other scholars consider it mandatory.

“First of all, we would like to stress the fact that circumcision is the Sunnah of Prophet Ibrahim and Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon them all). Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, “Five are the acts quite akin to fitrah: Circumcision, shaving the pubes, cutting the nails, plucking the hair under the armpits and clipping (or shaving) the moustache.” (Reported in all the six authentic collections of Hadith)

As regards the juristic views on this, Imam Abu Hanifah and Imam Malik maintain that circumcision is considered as a confirmed Sunnah (Sunnah Mu'akkadah), whereas Imam Shafi`i and Ahmad ibn Hanbal see it as mandatory (wajib).

Circumcision in Medical Perspectives:

Circumcision, being an act of fitrah, reflects Islam’s keenness on preserving man’s health and personal hygiene. This is further clarified in the following:

Circumcision is a universal practice which is greatly influenced by cultural and religious traditions. It is the most frequent operation on males not only in Islamic countries, but also other parts of the world. For example, in the United States of America more than one million male infants are circumcised each year. The performance of circumcision is one of the rules of cleanliness in Islam.

The word fitrah in relation to cleanliness can refer to the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), with regard to this matter, and fitrah also 'implies an inner sense of cleanliness in man which is proof of his moral convictions and mental health.'

Male circumcision means removal of the foreskin of the penis. The Islamic scholar Al-Mawardi said, 'The ideal method is to remove the skin completely from the beginning of the glans, and the minimum condition is that nothing is left to cover the end of the glans." The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) recommended performing circumcision at an early age. Al- Mawardi stated that the chosen time is the 7th day after birth, but it can be carried out up to 40 days after birth or thereafter until the age of 7 years, depending upon the health of the infant or child at the time.

There is an ongoing debate on the value of neonatal circumcision. Indeed, the position of the American Academy of Pediatrics since 1975 has been that there are no valid or absolute medical indications for routine circumcision of newborn male infants. On the other hand, the results of recent clinical and epidemiological studies are supportive of the practice of circumcision in newborn and infant males. From a two-part study involving cohorts of 3,924 and 422,328 infants respectively Wiswell and Roscelli found a higher rate of urinary tract infection in uncircumcised compared with male circumcised infants. These investigators observed that as the circumcision frequency rate decreases, the incidence of urinary tract infections increases. Infection usually begins in the foreskin which becomes swollen and difficult to retract. A medium for bacterial growth and further spread of infection is provided by the fecal material trapped between the foreskin and glans of the penis. Such a condition probably leads to other more serious complications.

Proper hygienic care of the penis, which includes regular washing, will prevent some infections, but among children this is difficult to maintain and is probably not as effective as circumcision. Some conditions, such as phimosis, often lead to circumcision at a later age that could have been prevented if it had been performed earlier. The possible risk for long term urological complications in the infected, uncircumcised male infant has not been properly studied. It is known, however, that as many as 50% of male infants with urinary tract infections will subsequently reveal demonstrable radiologic abnormalities. Thus, the performance of circumcision and the practice of sunan Al-fitrah as recommended in Islam is medically beneficial and reflects the wisdom of the Islamic statements.”

Source: islamonline.net

Doris

Bismilah,

This is what happens when our sisters go ahead and marry with males who have no CLUE what so ever about this deen. For the single sisters who are thinking to get married LOOK carefully at his Aqeedah(creed). Ask him what are the three types of tawheed.(probably he does not know them) Even ask him the science of hadeeth(sahih, daeef, hasan, etc) the famous scholars of the ummah the likes of ibn taymiyyah, ibn qayeem,imam Ahmad, al-Albani etc. And if he has no clue I am sorry to say that but you are going to get married to an ignorant male that will stay forever shaved and force you to his sick tradtions arab or otherwise. Wake up sisters

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Brothers and Sisters,

Why is it that we continue to question the reason behind doing this and that in Islam, while if a big study comes out showing a significant exploration or accomplishment, people shut up? Islam means to submit. We accept what Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala and the Prophet peace be upon Him ordered us to do, PERIOD.

No, it is not wrong to ask, but don`t always expect answers. We will never be able to find the wisdom behind everything. If we don`t find an answer, it is our shortcoming, and not our deen Islam.

For the materialistic people out there who still ask for proof, I give you another one. The best type of trials to detect if a certain intervention is better than a placebo or another standard treatment, is a randomized controlled trial (RCT). The 2 RCTs mentioned below were stopped early because the interim analyses showed a significant benefecial effect of circumcision. Therefore, it was considerd unethical to continue.

"Our Lord! we believe in what thou hast revealed and we follow the Apostle; then write us down among those who bear witness."

Qur'an 3:53 Surah Ale-'Imran

Physician's First Watch for February 23, 2007
David G. Fairchild, MD, MPH, Editor-in-Chief

Male Circumcision Reduces HIV Risk in Africa

Male Circumcision Reduces HIV Risk in Africa

The Lancet has published final results for two randomized trials confirming the benefit of male circumcision in reducing the transmission of HIV in Africa.

The studies (previously reported in Physician's First Watch) were conducted in Kenya and Uganda, which both have high HIV prevalence and relatively low rates of male circumcision. Researchers randomized some 7800 men aged 15 to 49 to immediate or later circumcision. Both trials were stopped early when interim analysis showed at least a 50% reduction in relative risk for HIV incidence, favoring immediate circumcision.

Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which funded the study, says in the New York Times: "This is a one-time, permanent intervention that's safe when done under the appropriate medical conditions. If we had an AIDS vaccine that was performing as well as this, it would be the talk of the town."

You can get the full article from the ''Lancet".

UmmOf3

Bismilah,

This is what happens when our sisters go ahead and marry with males who have no CLUE what so ever about this deen. For the single sisters who are thinking to get married LOOK carefully at his Aqeedah(creed). Ask him what are the three types of tawheed.(probably he does not know them) Even ask him the science of hadeeth(sahih, daeef, hasan, etc) the famous scholars of the ummah the likes of ibn taymiyyah, ibn qayeem,imam Ahmad, al-Albani etc. And if he has no clue I am sorry to say that but you are going to get married to an ignorant male that will stay forever shaved and force you to his sick tradtions arab or otherwise. Wake up sisters
Salaam aleikum

I did that. Need I say we are divcorced now?

Algerian men are, sorry to say, a chapter for themselves. Not all, ofcourse, but if they are hung up in traditions, they REALLY are. If they are cultural, and dont care about islam, they are 100% cultural.

I was a young, new convert when I married him 12 yrs ago, and i thought a nonpractising man would be the best, because he "would never force me to wear hijab, or force me to stay at home"... Man was I wrong. After, I wanted to wear hijab, he wanted to force me to not wear it hehe.

Alhamdulillah, now we are both remarried, and happy.

amyaishazouaoui

Bismilah,

Well sadly I was a revert of less than a year, no one gave me advice to wait and I did not know any different. I needed to amarry so i couldnt commit zina, No one really was there to advise me differently, no one taught me islam, I taught it to myself. No one directed me as to who to go to for advice, which mosque was best, who are the best scholars, indeed it took me 3 years to find albani's book anout salat.

There is no blame in this situaion but on myself...it is simply qadr, I will find my way inshallah....everything is a test.

amyaishazouaoui

Salaam aleikum

I did that. Need I say we are divcorced now?

Algerian men are, sorry to say, a chapter for themselves. Not all, ofcourse, but if they are hung up in traditions, they REALLY are. If they are cultural, and dont care about islam, they are 100% cultural.

I was a young, new convert when I married him 12 yrs ago, and i thought a nonpractising man would be the best, because he "would never force me to wear hijab, or force me to stay at home"... Man was I wrong. After, I wanted to wear hijab, he wanted to force me to not wear it hehe.

Alhamdulillah, now we are both remarried, and happy.

That is a bit of a sweeping statement
Yes a large percentae of hem are cultural....ut so too are the majority of the muslim brothers around the world, its not just algerians.

Alhamdulillah, hijab has never been an issue in my marriage,althouh his family think niqab is "too much for me"...... lol

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum

You are absolutely correct sister, culture is not problem just in Algeria but in the whole world. Where i live we have to deal with this problem daily and since we are raised in this culture thinking we are muslims and whatever we do is Islam, it creates a lot of problems. Sometimes we even have to argue a litlle to our parents cuz when we talk about everything in terms of Quran and Sunnah they really find it difficult to swallow. Here many people live thinking that they are muslim but their actions and their practices are so much against the sunnah of Rasul-Allah SAW. Many people finding it hard to keep up with the Islam ( submission of thier will to Allah ). and they generally give up in the name of traditions and many things are being done among muslims contrary to the islamic teachings and the reason they give in favor of their actions is that they have to be with the community and going against the tradition and culture means getting looked down upon. And the biggest problem with the muslims right now is the division of religion and their social life. We do not follow deen in each and every aspect of our life but only when its easy to follow it. Allah SWT says in the Quran,

Say (O Muhammad): Lo! I am commanded to worship Allah, making religion pure for Him (only).
And I am commanded to be the first of those who are muslims (surrender unto Him).
Say: Lo! if I should disobey my Lord, I fear the doom of a tremendous Day.
Say: Allah I worship, making my religion pure for Him (only).

(Az-Zumar)

i heard this from a very well known scholar that by "Say (O Muhammad): Lo! I am commanded to worship Allah, making religion pure for Him (only)." means to cover up yr each and every action by the will of Allah SWT and to see what is his command regarding each and every action that you do.

At another place it is told to us that people who pick their deen on the basis of their own desires or they do what seems benifecial to them and leave what they find difficult in deen. First Allah gave an example of Jewish people and then gave the verdict on such actions of people.

And when We made with you a covenant (saying): Shed not the blood of your people nor turn (a party of) your people out of your dwellings. Then ye ratified (Our covenant) and ye were witnesses (thereto). (84) Yet ye it is who slay each other and drive out a party of your people from their homes, supporting one another against them by sin and transgression? - and if they came to you as captives ye would ransom them, whereas their expulsion was itself unlawful for you - Believe ye in part of the Scripture and disbelieve ye in part thereof? And what is the reward of those who do so save ignominy in the life of the world, and on the Day of Resurrection they will be consigned to the most grievous doom. For Allah is not unaware of what ye do. (85)
(Al-Baqarah)

from this Allah made us very clear that hose who follow deen partially or in a way which suits them that for them punishment is here in this world and a punishment is waiting for them in the hereafter as well and in the same Surah Allah commanded us this way,

O ye who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps of the evil one; for he is to you an avowed enemy.
(Al-Baqarah)

and Allah also gave us the example of Ibrahim (AS)

As for those who divide their religion and break up into sects, thou hast no part in them in the least: their affair is with Allah: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did.
Say: Lo! As for me, my Lord hath guided me unto a straight path, a right religion, the community of Abraham, the upright, who was no idolater.
Say: Lo! my worship and my sacrifice and my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the Worlds.
He hath no partner. This am I commanded, and I am first of those who surrender (unto Him).

(Al-An'aam)

And at another place Allah told us that idolatory is not just worshiping idols but its also following your own desires or culture or whatever other than Allah's will.

Have you seen him who takes his low desires for his god? Will you then be a protector over him?
(Al-Furqan)

I pray to Allah that he makes our imaan stronger so that we can follow his will in every condition like the sahabaas and i pray for all of us that may Allah make it easier for us to follow his deen the way it is meant to be.
Remember me in your duas.

Mas'salaam.

UmmOf3

That is a bit of a sweeping statement
Yes a large percentae of hem are cultural....ut so too are the majority of the muslim brothers around the world, its not just algerians.

Alhamdulillah, hijab has never been an issue in my marriage,althouh his family think niqab is "too much for me"...... lol

Salaam aleikum

I never ment to generalize, I just mean that if they are really cultural, and some are, all over the world, they really really are so cultural, that its hard to practise islam around them, almost. Can you imagine the fit his family threw, when I said I needed a niqab, since we were going to a wedding and I had makeup on... It was just down the street, but yet... Gaaaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.