My sister fed me pork to my ignorance.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
My family are non-Muslims but I've been a vegetarian for a few years now. So I have never been untrustful of the food my family feeds me. On Saturday my sister made a brown rice dish. To my knowledge and observance - it had brown rice, corn, black beans and it was served with regular brown gravy (vegetarian)

After eating it, she was grinning and said, "it also had sausage"

I was appalled! Why in the world would she do this to me? :girl3:
Allah subhana wa ta ala knows I was ignorant of this. But now it makes me wonder what they have knowingly snuck in the food in the past?
And now I am hesitant to eat their food in the future.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

People do that and think its funny. Why is beyond me. It was no fault of yours.

I would decline any invitations from them in the future. It serves no purpose. They do not take your faith seriously.

Forgive them.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
sister,she made that trick thinking that she might have made you laugh at that wrong fact.she didn't reflect.but let me ask this thing:if you are vegetarian,how didn't you recognize the smell of meat?I was once a time vegetarian like you and I could recognize any kind of animals' smell.but differently from you my family respects my choice and never feeds me with something I dislike.the next time tell to your sister that it wasn't funny and you regret how she behaved towards you.

Hatty

I do not think she had put pork in it. I think she was only kidding to see your reaction. Did you make sure that she was not serious about it?

Italiano

I would decline any invitations from them in the future. It serves no purpose. They do not take your faith seriously.

Forgive them.

I agree with Aapa: forgive them.
:wasalam:

Perseveranze

Asalaamu Alaikum,

If I were you, i'd talk to her about this first. As you know, Muslim or not, it's important to maintain relations with family.

If she did it by accident, then that's understandable, otherwise if there was intent in it, then never eat from there again until you're absolutly sure, 110% you won't be tricked again like that.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
You have committed no sin, if she really served you pork you may now tell her you will no longer trust whatever they serve going fwd. This will make them feel guilty.

wantobeMumin

I do not remember exactly which Saba said this " Muslim can eat at a Jewish house because they eat zabeeha but do not sleep over because they are treacherous however a Muslim can sleep at a Christian household but never eat at their
house for they eat haram." I wish I could find the source right now.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God

If you were tricked to eat something then the sin is on them and not you. Since she was grinning it's obvious she wanted to get one on you and thought it amusing to trick you. Yes, we should keep good relations with family but that doesn't mean we get abused also. You can still keep your hi/hello with them but I wouldn't accept any dinner invitations any time soon.

strive-may-i

Unfortunate. Not just for you, even for your sister, because she has breached trust and that's not good for a practicing christian either. An Evil thought has done her.

Forgive your sister. Clearly tell her, as to why you think this has harmed your trust in her. If she honors and values the relationship, the message will sink in. Next time might be you should cook your meal when you stay there. Visit during non meal hours, maybe...

And abstain, a food, that has a possibility of haraam ingredients being mixed in it. Its not easy anywhere in world where haraam ingredients are also cooked, to know what is served... Vegetarian is a safe, good option, when eating outside.

And please do not become paranoid. I have Christian friends who honor my food choice. There are people who are good and receptive to our food choices. Keep your peace!

strive-may-i

I do not remember exactly which Saba said this " Muslim can eat at a Jewish house because they eat zabeeha but do not sleep over because they are treacherous however a Muslim can sleep at a Christian household but never eat at their
house for they eat haram." I wish I could find the source right now.

Excellent. Even i have heard this many times, in many sermons.

This brings out important point: The onus is also on us to honor the food choices of others.

These are few things, Its good, it works
- Go for vegetarian, when eating outside, least risk.
- Do not entice a vegetarian to non-veg.
- Do not declare loudly preference for beef, to someone to whom cow is a Deity.
- Do not pay for their beer. Nor ridicule non-believers who eat pork/dog/frog etc
- Constant Vigil
- Become a decent cook. People like cooks. Its fun :)

I State clearly, that am a tea-totaller, vegetarian preferring ,fish eater by choice. Keep repeating. I do not tell all and sundry that am a Muslim.

Hope these help

rahman2040

sister dont worry as you are ignorant of this, Allah[sa] will surely forgive you.
i suspect she was kidding with you.

Here my story am a born muslim, i was having many hindu friends before, not many now, once my friend fed me pork as mutton in my ignorance i had it, later he revealed truth. i dint said anything to him. but asked forgiveness with Allah[sa]. after one or two years once his elder brother met me accidently as we were chatting i asked how is his brother, he replied you dont know my brother is no more, i asked him as he was in his 20's what happen to him. he replied he had done suicide in some love matter.

may Allah forgive us

msmoorad

mommys boy
My family are non-Muslims but I've been a vegetarian for a few years now. So I have never been untrustful of the food my family feeds me. On Saturday my sister made a brown rice dish. To my knowledge and observance - it had brown rice, corn, black beans and it was served with regular brown gravy (vegetarian)

After eating it, she was grinning and said, "it also had sausage"

I was appalled! Why in the world would she do this to me? :girl3:
Allah subhana wa ta ala knows I was ignorant of this. But now it makes me wonder what they have knowingly snuck in the food in the past?
And now I am hesitant to eat their food in the future.
salaams to all

your sister most likely just does not realise how serious it is to eat haraam food
if she only knew, im sure shed never do this
they just dont get it & think youre making a big fuss about nothing-regarding not eating anything with pork & alcohol.

dont react very harshly
just make it clear that you now will not be eating at their home anymore

and Allah ta'ala knows full well you did not know -you ate it not realising it contained pork.

just make lots of duaah-for them, yourself & the ummah.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

Here my story am a born muslim, i was having many hindu friends before, not many now, once my friend fed me pork as mutton in my ignorance i had it, later he revealed truth. i dint said anything to him. but asked forgiveness with Allah[sa]. after one or two years once his elder brother met me accidently as we were chatting i asked how is his brother, he replied you dont know my brother is no more, i asked him as he was in his 20's what happen to him. he replied he had done suicide in some love matter.

may Allah forgive us

You did right thing.