shocking violence in saudi arabia

esperanza

revert of many years
Home Last Updated: Mon Dec 12, 2011 16:02 pm (KSA) 13:02 pm (GMT) How one woman’s bruises sparked more than just outrage
Monday, 12 December 2011

Twenty-six-year old Fatima al-Shehri was subjected to abuse for 11 hours by her husband in Saudi Arabia. (File photo) inShare.1By IKRAM AL YACOUB
Al Arabiya
Domestic violence afflicts women all over the world. The danger, threat and abuses associated with it cannot be relegated to any one gender, age, religion or other socio-economic factors.

Last week, shocking images of 26-year-old Saudi woman, Fatima al-Shehri, who was severely abused by her 60-year-old husband, surfaced on social media and caused widespread outrage. They also reignited the debate on women’s rights with rights activists calling for new laws and their implementation to protect women.

Shehri has been at the King Faisal hospital in Jeddah after being brutally beaten for over 11 hours by her husband. She is in the first trimester of her pregnancy and doctors are monitoring her unborn child’s condition.

According to her sister, police arrested Shehri’s husband and the family hopes he will be given the strictest of punishments. She said the husband tried to give money to his wife in exchange for her withdrawing her complaint of abuse but Shehri refused.

This was not the first time the young woman was abused by her husband.

She had filed two previous complaints with the police against her abuser but they hadn’t responded to her letters, ostensibly because of his then employment with the military services and vast connections. (Her husband was dismissed from his position prior to the latest incident of abuse.)

Shehri said that in the prior cases of abuse, he pledged not to hurt her again, but failed to honor the promise he made to her family.

She recently described the horrific incident in an interview to Al-Weam newspaper on Dec. 6: “I had just moved to Jeddah two months ago to accompany my husband and two daughters. On the day of the incident he dragged me to my room after locking up my daughters in the other room. He was beating me with a ‘screwdriver’ that he would use to make his drink. I somehow managed to escape after he fell asleep and ran out of the house to get myself to the hospital. I couldn’t take my daughters with me.”

She has been given high level of security at the King Fahad hospital due to the shocking extent of her abuse.

Her husband, meanwhile, has shifted their daughters to his brother’s house. Lawyers have expressed their concern about this move and are urging that they be reunited with their mother as they fear for their safety and well-being.

Human right activist, Samar Badawi, who visited Shehri at the hospital, said her bruises were indescribable.

The lawyer and human right activist Abdul Rahman al-Lahem has shown his willingness to defend the victim pro bono and wrote on his Twitter page that he was planning to seek permission from the justice ministry in this regard.

Activists say that Shehri’s case highlights the need to enact domestic violence laws in the Kingdom. The United Nations issued a special mandate in 2008 to urge the Saudi government to establish a legal framework based on human rights standards to address the violence against women and inaugurate a family court and independent institutions which can intervene in times of violence.

After understanding how timely intervention can save lives, Mecca governor Prince Khalid Al Faisal created a hotline for domestic violence in 2008 to enable victims to report cases and be able to reach authorities in case of any form of abuse.

Undersecretary of the Ministry of Social Affairs, Awad al-Raddadi told Asharq al-Awsat newspaper in January that the ministry had received more than 700 cases of domestic violence in 2010, but he refused to label it as a “phenomenon”. He did, however, acknowledge the serious nature of the problem.

A Saudi lawyer and human rights advocates, Ali al-Agla told Al Arabiya in an interview that violence against women, and especially against wives, has emerged as an important social concern especially in the lack of legal framework under which the issues can be dealt with.

He said that in the absence of any decrees or laws that can protect these victims, “we call on the Shura council and the legislative council to enact laws aimed at combating these highly publicized instances of aggressive violence against women.”

Group of women activists have initiated a campaign on Facebook and Twitter called “Enough violence against women” in which people can report incidents of abuse and educate the public of the serious consequences such horrific acts can lead to.

this link will show the picture too

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Obvious question here.....if a woman is being THAT abused, why doesnt she retaliate? At 60 years old he cant be too hard to hit back. Not making an excuse for the abuse, but if my husband started beating me he'd have another thing coming.

strive-may-i

Recently I happened to read reports and see statistics on Domestic violence, from around world. It was an eye-opener to see domestic violence statistics in non-straight sexual orientation partners (God Forbid such thoughts). So Violence, is deep rooted. Its not a male only problem.

Its not sign of :saw: Ummah, the last sermon from Prophet reminds the husbands to treat their wives well... May Almighty give each one of us the patience and restrain our instincts from turning hurtful..... Ameen!

strive-may-i

Dont Ignore the first signs of domestic violence in families close to you

:salam2:

Here is what I have felt we could do as Individual level to cut down on this evil, in our immediate families. :
I guess at initial stages itself, when verbal exchanges proceeds and becomes abusive / physical, the partner should seek help, outside intervention. Otherwise, there is a good possibility that the dominant partner, will resort more n more to abusive/violent ways. A good chance to mend and heal the problem before it turns out of control would be lost!

And also I feel, the various social circles around the partners, children, siblings, parents, in-laws, close friends, community should intervene with emapthy at the beginning stages itself, when they spot the married couples relationship straining, rather than ignore and cause the relationship to strain beyond repair!

Being tactful, and showing empathy could help.... What do rest here think/suggest?

Shak78

A lot of people who inflict domestic violence have seen it as a child and grew up with it as a part of their lives sadly. So they grow to think it is a part of a normal relationship when it is not. Not all abusers/abused are like this but many are caught in a cycle, and they will teach it to their kids and it will continue.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
At 60 years old he cant be too hard to hit back. Not making an excuse for the abuse, but if my husband started beating me he'd have another thing coming.

Actually, some men, even at an old age of 60 can pack a good punch..! I happen to know 1!

It's just that most women feel taking self-defense classes aren't of any importance in this day and age.. and boy, are they wrong! :O

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Actually, some men, even at an old age of 60 can pack a good punch..! I happen to know 1!

It's just that most women feel taking self-defense classes aren't of any importance in this day and age.. and boy, are they wrong! :O

I agree, in this age and time learning self-defense should be a must for every muslimah!

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I agree, in this age and time learning self-defense should be a must for every muslimah!

Some girls at the Masjid have been talking about starting up a Kick Boxing Class with a female insturctor but they say they will feel silly. And Im like....ahudubillah but you may need this one day!

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Some girls at the Masjid have been talking about starting up a Kick Boxing Class with a female insturctor but they say they will feel silly. And Im like....ahudubillah but you may need this one day!

I knew a sister in chicago who did it. It was all woman kickboxing run by a jewish female instructor. Tell the sisters it's better than joining the gym and it may save your life one day!

lovefordeen

wa'alikum assalaam

Masha'Allah,my husband has never ever hit me...and masha'Allah, he's been very kind to me...

not all men are wife beaters...but i feel really sorry for the ones who are abused...may Allah save them...

msmoorad

mommys boy

salaams to all

its not so much about learning self defence
its the will to retaliate
even if a woman has not been for any classes, if she really wants to hurt her abusive husband, she can do it.

some women feel that there is no other place for them to go to & they just have to accept whatever happens-for the sake of their children.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

Perseveranze

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Not sure about the UN, this stuff happens alot more in the western countries such as UK/USA than in Saudi.

Also skeptical that this is widespread, i'll post an article later which shows how domestic violence (especially in places like Jeddah) are women on men, rather than the other way around.

They just need to get stricter with their laws.

esperanza

revert of many years
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Not sure about the UN, this stuff happens alot more in the western countries such as UK/USA than in Saudi.

Also skeptical that this is widespread, i'll post an article later which shows how domestic violence (especially in places like Jeddah) are women on men, rather than the other way around.

They just need to get stricter with their laws.

of course it happens more in UK/USA but we do nto epxet it to be ahppening in muslim countries yet it is more widespread than we are lead to believe...

Perseveranze

of course it happens more in UK/USA but we do nto epxet it to be ahppening in muslim countries yet it is more widespread than we are lead to believe...

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I know, but I'm just a bit skeptical about it. I don't think it's as bad as we think tbh.

According to Jeddah police reports, on an average, 145 wives beat their husbands in a month, constituting 20 percent of the annual rates of domestic violence.Wives only go for physical violence when they reach a state of explosion and can no longer control themselves, said Fathiyyah Al-Qurashi, member of the Saudi Human Rights Commission.
She was speaking to Arab News about reports concerning the growing number of wives beating husbands

Read more: http://www.qatarliving.com/node/1970707#ixzz1gQfeCoB6

Something that is bad and more common though, is maid abuse.

Ahsen

Few days before i read a news in which a maid jumped from the second floor of a building.This is common news in arab countries.They complain of racism in the west yet they don't learn from it and treat the poor asians like trash.

Ahsen

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I know, but I'm just a bit skeptical about it. I don't think it's as bad as we think tbh.

Something that is bad and more common though, is maid abuse.

Maybe the husbands do somethings to get beaten.Just saying.It's funny though.

Remember the case in which a kuwaiti women set fire to a wedding tent which led to some 88 deaths.As far as i have seen arab women can't tolerate their husbands getting a second wife.